Analysis Key Position Defenders (going forward)

Remove this Banner Ad

Anyone else feel our decimated backline has reduced our chances of breaking into the top 8 .

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

It's only going to be "decimated" for a week or two.

Tazz & Thommo are first picked & B-Mac is the heir apparent who has to be played this season. Majak would have started no doubt, but we won't be losing anything with B-Mac taking his spot.

The depth is the issue if we lose one of them.

Tazz & Thommo are first picked & B-Mac is the heir apparent who has to be played this season. Majak would have started no doubt, but we won't be losing anything with B-Mac taking his spot.

It's potentially decimated for a week and that's only Tarrant doesn't get up.

Rd 2 we'll have McKay, Thompson snd EVW if Tazz is still out. How many teams are going with 3 monsters? If they do are they actually any good?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Yea it seems we are vulnerable to a an injury or two.
I hope with the midfield we have assembled we spend more time in control and less turnovers.

I'm guessing when our depth is challenged it becomes an opportunity for a tall to step up in defence.

I wouldn't be surprised if we see a fit Garner or Wood plugging holes down back.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

It's potentially decimated for a week and that's only Tarrant doesn't get up.

Rd 2 we'll have McKay, Thompson snd EVW if Tazz is still out. How many teams are going with 3 monsters? If they do are they actually any good?

IMO, the trick is to guard real estate and not so much the players vs Freo.

The 6-6-6 thing only applies to the centre bounces and even if a particular forward structure has an ascendancy with marking options, they can be largely negated by defenders guarding real estate rather than any particular man. If you dedicate the defensive set up to covering the 50 metre by 40 metre centre block from the goal mouth, then the stronger marking forward structures power is greatly dimiished as they are pushed outside the main scoring corridor, and goal scoring distance, so the tactic is to deny them high percentage goal scoring shots rather than possession.

If the forwards take marks in these outside positions and score behinds or turn the ball over, then they play in to the hands of an opposition with more running players and the better midfield.

This is going to be a great baptism moment for our debutante defensive coach Rhyce Shaw (vs David Hale, Freo forwards coach)

Last edited:
IMO, the trick is to guard real estate and not so much the players vs Freo.

The 6-6-6 thing only applies to the centre bounces and even if a particular forward structure has an ascendancy with marking options, they can be largely negated by defenders guarding real estate rather than any particular man. If you dedicate the defensive set up to covering the 40 metre by 40 metre centre block from the goal mouth, then the stronger marking forward structures power is greatly dimiished as they are pushed outside the main scoring corridor, and goal scoring distance, so the tactic is to deny them high percentage goal scoring shots rather than possession.

If the forwards take marks in these outside positions and score behinds or turn the ball over, then they play in to a the hands of an opposition with more running players and the better midfield.

This is going to be a great baptism moment for our debutante defensive coach Rhyce Shaw (vs David Hale, Freo forwards coach)
Our defenders have to be mentally on the job. McKay needs to take whoever positions deep. They'll try to isolate height mismatches.

The undersized defenders need to take off at every given opportunity. Blow the bigger guys up.

Our defenders have to be mentally on the job. McKay needs to take whoever positions deep. They'll try to isolate height mismatches.

The undersized defenders need to take off at every given opportunity. Blow the bigger guys up.

Agree, Luke & Marley will be important. I'm pretty sure we'll also have the wingers pushing back hard.

We need to play the real estate game vs Freo, due to certain players that may be missing.

I'm happy to just bomb the ball forward long when we get clearances rather than rely on the wingmen pushing hard to go forward to give us link up shots. Let Freo have the ascendancy that is naturally afforded to defenders, but we will shut them down theN on the way out the longer the game goes on.

Play Brown, Ziebell & Turner deep at the centre bounces, but have Atley, Wood & Simpkin/Ahern/ Whoever right up on the 50 metre arc.

CUT. THEM. OFF.

Last edited:
How bad is this AC in injury Taz has?
Surely he can get up after 6 weeks out.

Watson will have to play back in any case now Durdin is out against a tall Freo forward line.

If Taz doesn’t make it back, then some altenate strategies will need to be explored.

It could play into our hands a bit too. Taberner and Lobbe are poor defensively , so if our midfield can get on top, we could generate run behind the ball and smash them on the outside.

Name them

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

It's not a secret that we drafted Sam Durdin as a poorly performed tall that had athletic upside. Champion Data in his draft year rated him as one of the worst prospects as far as actual play with his only serviceable form coming as an undersized ruckman.

To date he still hasn't shown that he can be a serviceable defender so the list of state league defenders who are more capable right now would be quite large. Durdin made the bests four times in sixteen games last year in the VFL, so if the criteria was topping that then it would be an incredibly long list of players who are better than him.

For specific names Michael Close was playing far better than him last year as a key position player in the same side (albeit he is currently out of the game, he is just the most obvious example) and other guys like Jonathon Marsh, Tyler Keitel, Kieran Collins and our own Dan Nielson would likely be better as well if given the same opportunity.

A bold but unsurprising statement.

I read somewhere that Geelong's Ablett decimated us while playing deep forward during yesterday's 'secret' intraclub.

I refuse to believe this money grabbing fart is still that good which can only mean our defensive unit really sucks at the moment.
We're in for a bad start to the year if we can't address this asap.

I read somewhere that Geelong's Ablett decimated us while playing deep forward during yesterday's 'secret' intraclub.

I refuse to believe this money grabbing fart is still that good which can only mean our defensive unit really sucks at the moment.
We're in for a bad start to the year if we can't address this asap.

Ablett didn't play.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is the sort of structure I was depicting:

1550717163037.png

I reckon we can shut them down from marking too much in the square zone from the CC's.

If the Freo forwards want to go any wider or higher up the ground then let them, just make sure we set up to shut down the corridor. If the Freo small forwards set up on the 50 metre zone, then our wingmen can drop on to the defensive side of the centre square.

Last edited:
It's not a secret that we drafted Sam Durdin as a poorly performed tall that had athletic upside. Champion Data in his draft year rated him as one of the worst prospects as far as actual play with his only serviceable form coming as an undersized ruckman.

To date he still hasn't shown that he can be a serviceable defender so the list of state league defenders who are more capable right now would be quite large. Durdin made the bests four times in sixteen games last year in the VFL, so if the criteria was topping that then it would be an incredibly long list of players who are better than him.

For specific names Michael Close was playing far better than him last year as a key position player in the same side (albeit he is currently out of the game, he is just the most obvious example) and other guys like Jonathon Marsh, Tyler Keitel, Kieran Collins and our own Dan Nielson would likely be better as well if given the same opportunity.
Strongly disagree. If Nielson was a better prospect, he'd be on a list and not the other way round. Grass is not always greener. Likewise Collins, yep good u18, couldn't crack it for a game in the dogs backline but yep much better option than Durdin, despite there is no evidence to suggest that at all.

i like that. i would be pretty confident with tarrant, mckay, and evw. game will be won or lost in the midfield.

EVW will probably get Hogan if he plays and if they set up with 3 tall forwards, and he has the smarts to negate him despite giving away 5-7 kgs. He's probably our best option anyway without Thompson, although I wouldn't discount Sammy Wright either.

The idea is to maintain structure. If Taberner, Lobb or Hogan want to waltz up to the 50 metre line on the set clearance plays, just let them. McDonald/MacMillan/EVW will sprint up to cover the goal side of them once they see Freo has the clearance. Our wingmen in defensive positions can assist to pressure any overlap. Tazz & McKay can then lock down on the other big forwards remaining in the square zone..

Last edited:
Strongly disagree. If Nielson was a better prospect, he'd be on a list and not the other way round. Grass is not always greener. Likewise Collins, yep good u18, couldn't crack it for a game in the dogs backline but yep much better option than Durdin, despite there is no evidence to suggest that at all.

Nielson and Collins both arguably had better form in the VFL last year. The only difference between them all was that Durdin was contracted for this year.

Durdin's extension came before the 2017 season and gave him effectively three years to show something. Maybe we can revisit this conversation next year when they're all state league defenders.

Need to apply midfield pressure to ball carriers. No clean inside 50s for them. Maybe play Campbell and have Golding dropping across CHB after centre bounce. We know he's a good intercept mark!

Nielson and Collins both arguably had better form in the VFL last year. The only difference between them all was that Durdin was contracted for this year.

Durdin's extension came before the 2017 season and gave him effectively three years to show something. Maybe we can revisit this conversation next year when they're all state league defenders.
Maybe you should check out Collins year last year in the VFL. Durdin also played seniors. Wouldn't argue at all in favour of him over durdin.

And durdin was extended mid year 2017. Also only 12 games last year, not 16 as you indicated. A 198cm kpd may take a while, particularly when he has had the run of injuries he has had. We gave Tarrant years to sort himself. Be patient.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back