List Mgmt. Key Position Players

Remove this Banner Ad

Great draft for key forwards particularly. So much depth by position. We can get one in the first round. Maybe even the second round.

Noah Balta is my guy early days. If he slides into the second round. Golly!

He's feeling hidden away, not getting much opportunity to play as a key forward and being forced to fill holes for Calder with a lot of minutes through the ruck.

But boy oh boy is the talent there! Freak at ground level, has the contested marking and all the athletic attributes you'd want with his pace/agility/leaping.

Forget trading unless it's Tom Lynch/Peter Wright/Jeremy Cameron/Jon Patton. This draft we can find the appropriate compliment for Moore.

But can he kick?

Great draft for key forwards particularly. So much depth by position. We can get one in the first round. Maybe even the second round.

Noah Balta is my guy early days. If he slides into the second round. Golly!

He's feeling hidden away, not getting much opportunity to play as a key forward and being forced to fill holes for Calder with a lot of minutes through the ruck.

But boy oh boy is the talent there! Freak at ground level, has the contested marking and all the athletic attributes you'd want with his pace/agility/leaping.

Forget trading unless it's Tom Lynch/Peter Wright/Jeremy Cameron/Jon Patton. This draft we can find the appropriate compliment for Moore.
First round it then (hopefully), alas our second round pick sits with GWS albeit Hoskin-Elliott is looking promising.

Quinten "Rampage" Lynch
Jesse White

Can we stop trying to recruit to replace Leigh Brown and instead try and create one. It doesn't work. Brown was a gorgeous anomaly.

Brown was a good ordinary footballer who bought some hardness to a team that needed it. Lynch was actually an upgrade until his body failed him and then he broke his leg. White not too dissimilar to Brown either, except for the hardness that is.

I have a VERY reliable source that we've been into Jackson Trengove since last year.
VERY reliable.
Would have rathered kept Nathan Brown. Would rather us back in the development of McClarty, Schade and possibly even McCarthy if he's switched down back.

Been watching this bloke a while now and feel he is a prime power forward ,certainly has presence ,great hands and can ruck a little.
Good competitor who has seemed to grow this year with Savs guidance . His big issue, like Cloke is conversion but he looked good last week in a slaughter. Stood up and displayed an improved technique.
He is a free agent , under the radar and would not cost heaps .i for one think he would improve us and I would be prepared to deal one of our excess midfielders or inconsistent forwards to get it done.
Certainly we could slide him in only concern is SOS is a knob and hard to deal with.
We need a power forward , we can't get a great one all are signed and the best are in leadership positions,but a bloke like him could he be the answer and we could reap the rewards !
Much better than Sam Reid as an option
Discuss and opinion please

I'd take him provided we don't give him a Mayne like deal, even then I'd prefer him on Mayne money than Mayne but still we shouldn't overpay for him. Some might compare it to Lynch and White but he's younger than what Lynch was and actually impacts the contest in pack mark situations unlike White. A big cheap key forward that can take pressure of Moore whilst crashing into opposition defenders and allowing ground level players to crumb sounds good to me.

For mine if he's cheap it's a no brainer because he's an upgrade on both our other options in White and Cox, actually impacts contest unlike White and can hold onto a mark unlike Cox. ATM he's also an upgrade on Moore as well given he's doing SFA right now. It's not ideal but right now we just need someone to play alongside Moore. He's kicked 9 goals 2 so he'd be equal with our leading goal kicker atm but more accurate. Reid strikes me as someone who'd be too expensive and injury prone so I'd prefer Casboult.

Would have rathered kept Nathan Brown. Would rather us back in the development of McClarty, Schade and possibly even McCarthy if he's switched down back.

He's better, younger and more versatile than Brown. Would be an upgrade on Schade and probably even Reid at this point. If he's a free agent (not sure), he'd be worth considering at the right price salary wise.

He's better, younger and more versatile than Brown. Would be an upgrade on Schade and probably even Reid at this point. If he's a free agent (not sure), he'd be worth considering at the right price salary wise.

He's more versatile than Brown but not better IMO. He'd be an upgrade at Schade but Schade is doing fine atm there is no pressing need for an upgrade on him and I think McClarty will develop into Brain Lake type maybe not as good but his marking and willingness to move the ball on quickly reminds me of that. I think our key backs stocks are fine, our needs are a key forwards and quick rebounding defenders possibly a lock down small defender depending on how Ramsay develops.

At the right price I'd take him but I doubt we'll get it. The Port defender that we should be looking at is Pittard IMO.

He's more versatile than Brown but not better IMO. He'd be an upgrade at Schade but Schade is doing fine atm there is no pressing need for an upgrade on him and I think McClarty will develop into Brain Lake type maybe not as good but his marking and willingness to move the ball on quickly reminds me of that. I think our key backs stocks are fine, our needs are a key forwards and quick rebounding defenders possibly a lock down small defender depending on how Ramsay develops.

At the right price I'd take him but I doubt we'll get it. The Port defender that we should be looking at is Pittard IMO.

Agree with most of what you've said except Brown being better than Trengove but there's probably not a huge amount between them. I also think Schade is better than Brown atm. Anyway was never a huge Brown fan. Happy to see the back of him and Frost.

Would love Pittard and absolutely think rebounding back flankers are what we need. Maynard is showing good signs but we need speed & good ball use off the HBF. But that's for another thread :)

Agree with most of what you've said except Brown being better than Trengove but there's probably not a huge amount between them. I also think Schade is better than Brown atm. Anyway was never a huge Brown fan. Happy to see the back of him and Frost.

Would love Pittard and absolutely think rebounding back flankers are what we need. Maynard is showing good signs but we need speed & good ball use off the HBF. But that's for another thread :)
Fair enough, I was a fan of Brown but I'm not too upset to see the back of him given how Schade is going. Frost I never really thought he was AFL standard so losing him doesn't effect us in the slightest.

Fair enough, I was a fan of Brown but I'm not too upset to see the back of him given how Schade is going. Frost I never really thought he was AFL standard so losing him doesn't effect us in the slightest.
Frost no loss at all, just a toiler, trier, no skills suitable to afl level, bar application. Glad he can De Frost in Qld.
Brown left on free agency, but realistically his time was nigh.
Marsh, pity, other reasons he's gone, may just not be cut out for AFL for himself, shame, but wish him well.

So we have stop gap in Dunn, well soon see how he goes, big kick on him. Definitely has a voice down back.
Schade, taken as coverage, done well, a surprise.

McLarty part of the longer term future.
Keeffe, whatever has happpened, he has great height. Worth perseverance at this stage.
Moore well needs to go to next level, should (should) come with maturity.

Reid, if fit, A grade, classy, easily our best key position on list today.

Needs: key forward for Moore support.

Draft in, no trading unless clear A grade from other club.

So what could a future spine look like?

FB. McLarty
CHB. Reid
C. Treloar
CHF. Drafted eg Balta/?
FF. Moore

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is he a realistic chance of getting to us? Do you rate home highly?

Balta is still in the "I'm watching with strong interest" category.

At this stage I rate him highly and my expectation is that he will be available at our first selection. Depending on his season I'm not discounting the possibility that he may be there in the second round.

Balta has the talent. What I will be watching for is the production and improvement on last season. If he ticks those three boxes or comes pretty close to. That's when I'll be making my case to pick him.

One or both of Trengove and Reid would definitely make us a better team. A big offer to Trengove may push Pittard out though and he is unrestricted.

Both are restricted which makes things tougher.

Our cap may also be a problem, and if we were into Trengove from last year it makes the 4 year deal to Mayne even more baffling.

We need to do something, and something major, to fix our KPF issues. Schade may save us slightly and if he continues on then we might be ok with Schade, Ben Reid and McLarty.

Sam Reid is one we should target to help Moore immediately, and would allow us to select a 1st round KPF who will take some time and not rush them.

Not sure we can use a 1st rounder to get Lever unless we give something up and not sure we have anything that would land us a 1st rounder.

That's why we haven't gone anywhere lately. Only Tall spuds linked to us. Any chance we can get hold of someone good?
Like...it's as though Cox, Keefe, White are so much better than him.
Trengove + Moore has such a bettter look to it than anything else that has been trialled (and failed).

At this stage I rate him highly and my expectation is that he will be available at our first selection. Depending on his season I'm not discounting the possibility that he may be there in the second round.

Balta has the talent. What I will be watching for is the production and improvement on last season. If he ticks those three boxes or comes pretty close to. That's when I'll be making my case to pick him.

He'd want to be bloody good to pass of over Darcy Fogarty. Who the last 3 weeks playing sanfl seniors has been in the best each week kicking 3,10 and 6 goals playing vs men.

He'd want to be bloody good to pass of over Darcy Fogarty. Who the last 3 weeks playing sanfl seniors has been in the best each week kicking 3,10 and 6 goals playing vs men.

You're looking at Fogarty's 2015 U16 numbers.

Fogarty just yesterday played his first SANFL League match for the season. 18 disposals (five kicks) and four tackles is the summary of what he did. Still pretty solid.

With Balta having a slower start to the year but slowly building by the looks of it, would you be comfortable picking him if Brander was gone? Or would you still pick Balta if Brander was available at our pick?

With Balta having a slower start to the year but slowly building by the looks of it, would you be comfortable picking him if Brander was gone? Or would you still pick Balta if Brander was available at our pick?

At this stage I put it down to Balta not being afforded the minutes playing forward.

I'd still at the moment pick him if he's the highest rated player on my draft board at our pick. He's showing all the appropriate attributes by position.

It's just that peace of mind isn't quite there, not having the evidence/series of games played up forward where you know for certain he has the production by position to deserve that early pick.

We'll see how things go over the course of the season. Some rise, some fall. Things change.

At this stage I put it down to Balta not being afforded the minutes playing forward.

I'd still at the moment pick him if he's the highest rated player on my draft board at our pick. He's showing all the appropriate attributes by position.

It's just that peace of mind isn't quite there, not having the evidence/series of games played up forward where you know for certain he has the production by position to deserve that early pick.

We'll see how things go over the course of the season. Some rise, some fall. Things change.
Yeah of course. Obviously still a lot of footy to be played. Hopefully some more of the key position types can have some more impact when it comes to the championships.

Yep and Frost can't even get a game for Brisbane now. Was dropped a couple of weeks ago and hasn't resurfaced.

Schade would be handy for GC at the moment with their shortage of talls down back - they may have won last night with him, no one could stop Ben Brown. Their loss is our gain.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back