Khawaja simultaneously dropping truth bombs and talking himself out of the Test Sqaud

Remove this Banner Ad

Why do we even play matches in Australia? All that "counts" is performing in England and India, apparently.
To me, no they don't count.
I rate players based on performances in tough series just as much as bullying sides at home.

I'm sick of losing away. Ussie gets boned for away series yet dumbarse Davey gets a free pass in England.

Why? Because I don’t suck him off like so many do, like Slats does.
Could not care less that he bludgeons teams on flat Aussie decks. When he stands up in England then I’ll applaud him.

Last Ashes tour he scored 418 runs@ 46.44, pretty good for an opening batsman. You must have had your eyes closed, which really doesn't surprise me.

Last Ashes tour he scored 418 runs@ 46.44, pretty good for an opening batsman. You must have had your eyes closed, which really doesn't surprise me.

Aww a little potshot. Nice. Typical Hawk fan response.

Now, how’d he go when the chips were down?
In the first innings of Birmingham and Nottingham how did he fare? Well we set paltry totals and he failed when the heat was on. He wasn’t alone though to be fair.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

mitchell johnson.
Mitchell Johnson always had a much higher ceiling than Usman Khawaja in their respective disciplines.

Khawaja has had quite a few chances outside of Australia now and his average is still 25 overseas. That's not even below average. It's just a genuinely poor overseas record he has. He could score 100, 100, 100 in his next 3 digs on this tour and that would only just bring his away average up to the barely acceptable 35.

There was a point where he had struggled away but had only played 5 or 6 tests, but it's now - frustratingly - starting to emerge as a pattern.

Everyone wants him to do well. A good stylish number 3 we can take anywhere in the world with confidence would be a huge boost to the team.

But he can't have too many more chances to prove himself overseas you wouldn't think.

There aren't many contenders for his position at the moment. Renshaw to #3 is looming as a possibility for the next test series (next summer? or one before then? can't remember).

Mitchell Johnson always had a much higher ceiling than Usman Khawaja in their respective disciplines.

Khawaja has had quite a few chances outside of Australia now and his average is still 25 overseas. That's not even below average. It's just a genuinely poor overseas record he has. He could score 100, 100, 100 in his next 3 digs on this tour and that would only just bring his away average up to the barely acceptable 35.

There was a point where he had struggled away but had only played 5 or 6 tests, but it's now - frustratingly - starting to emerge as a pattern.

Everyone wants him to do well. A good stylish number 3 we can take anywhere in the world with confidence would be a huge boost to the team.

But he can't have too many more chances to prove himself overseas you wouldn't think.

There aren't many contenders for his position at the moment. Renshaw to #3 is looming as a possibility for the next test series (next summer? or one before then? can't remember).
I agree he is useless in the sub-continent. As we saw in the India series.

But to put a line through him is a bit much, he's not a great batsman but he's one of the better ones in the country still.

But to put a line through him is a bit much, he's not a great batsman but he's one of the better ones in the country still.
Getting pretty close to the end of the tether with this guy just the same.

I dont disagree he is one of the better batsmen in the country.

But at some point that has to translate to runs away from home.

Like I said a #3 who can go be taken overseas with confidence would be a massive boost. Next three innings on this tour are huge for him. I hope he comes through with a score.

Certainly not yet, Renshaw's not even in SA.

Khawaja will always have that one golden summer, but he hasn't gone on with it. And number 3 is such a crucial position. Clock is certainly ticking.
Yeah, I don't mean for this series. I don't really think the alternatives are better than Usman but he seems to have limited upside and with his skills at first slip Renshaw would be a good inclusion.

Could always move Smith up to 3, Handscomb at four if they want to send Khawaja a message. I doubt it though, he'll probably ride out the series. He really needs to score some runs in the second dig.
Why replace Usman Koala with someone even worse..

No way handscomb is getting picked, him being in the squad was the selectors backing the current top 6 for the whole series.

I still think we picked the right batting line up, I just think the harsh reality is our best simply isn't good enough to beat the top tier sides away from home.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back