Skills Kicking a spear/dart

Remove this Banner Ad

May 20, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Hey team,

New to the forum and sorry if there is already a post in this.

Anyone got good advice on how to effectively kick a spear/dart.

I practice kicking into soccer goals but my kicks always go over. I have tried to stab but apparently this technique isn't ideal and I don't find it that consistent. Anyone got any suggestions?

Cheers :)

Hey team,

New to the forum and sorry if there is already a post in this.

Anyone got good advice on how to effectively kick a spear/dart.

I practice kicking into soccer goals but my kicks always go over. I have tried to stab but apparently this technique isn't ideal and I don't find it that consistent. Anyone got any suggestions?

Cheers :)
I'm assuming your referring to a stab pass?
What area do you live in?

If your kicking too high then you might not be getting over the ball enough and laying back into it like a long kick down the line

Also because you're going for accuracy and speed of disposal where you need to get over the ball more and use a shallower drop, rather then the more "lay back" action you'd use for a longer kick for distance and height

I've found the key factor to having a lower trajectory is where you drop the ball from, and how far the ball is off the ground before you make contact.

Try holding the footy with an extended arm directly over your kicking leg so that the ball drop is starting from just above your knee, and kick the ball with a normal follow through without leaning back too much.

Look at how Ablett kicks on the run - he's almost hunched over and there is very little time between his ball drop and when he kicks it.

Keep practicing and you'll find a way that works for your kicking action.

Delay your leg swing.
You want the ball as close as humanly possible to the ground before you make contact.
I'm a bit unusual but I have different ball holds/drops depending on what type of kick I'm trying to execute (and even a different ball drop running vs from a free kick/mark) so some alterations there may help.
I find if I hold the ball higher my kicks have a lower trajectory than if I hold the ball lower down (becomes a bit of a sand wedge).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back