Analysis Kicking for goal.

Remove this Banner Ad

Braybrook Son

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 4, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
The thing that worries me was the goal kicking again. And I’ll tell you what I think is a big part of the problem.

If you look at the first qtr yesterday, against the Bombers, all those shots at goal were by little guys, kicking from 30-50 metres out. Most of those guys, McLean, Gowers, Dahlhaus, Dunkley, Hunter, Daniel etc, can’t kick very far, and because they can’t make the distance from those spots, they are offline most of the time. A big part of our problem. Now if those same shots were taken by Redpath, Boyd, Roughead, they make the distance easy, and would’ve kicked say, 50% of those.

Thoughts?

The thing that worries me was the goal kicking again. And I’ll tell you what I think is a big part of the problem.

If you look at the first qtr yesterday, against the Bombers, all those shots at goal were by little guys, kicking from 30-50 metres out. Most of those guys, McLean, Gowers, Dahlhaus, Dunkley, Hunter, Daniel etc, can’t kick very far, and because they can’t make the distance from those spots, they are offline most of the time. A big part of our problem. Now if those same shots were taken by Redpath, Boyd, Roughead, they make the distance easy, and would’ve kicked say, 50% of those.

Thoughts?

I assume you are talking Jarred Rough ?
Our Roughy can kick it some way , but he is a shizen kick at goal .

• Banned
I assume you are talking Jarred Rough ?
Our Roughy can kick it some way , but he is a shizen kick at goal .
Yeah our Roughead. I agree, he is an average kick at goal, but my point is, our smaller guys tend to struggle from 30-50 metres out, whereas bigger guys make the distance easier, therefore have more chance of kicking straight. I know our big guys miss shots too, but I just feel the little guys miss a lot more because of the lack of distance in their kicks.

Yeah our Roughead. I agree, he is an average kick at goal, but my point is, our smaller guys tend to struggle from 30-50 metres out, whereas bigger guys make the distance easier, therefore have more chance of kicking straight. I know our big guys miss shots too, but I just feel the little guys miss a lot more because of the lack of distance in their kicks.
We've had a ton of low percentage shots at goal the last two weeks, many coming from marks from leads to a pocket or flank or having a ping from 45-50. Nothing really delivered deep inside 50 in a dangerous, high percentage spot straight in front.

We've had a ton of low percentage shots at goal the last two weeks, many coming from marks from leads to a pocket or flank or having a ping from 45-50. Nothing really delivered deep inside 50 in a dangerous, high percentage spot straight in front.

Gowers, Dunkley and Dale all got goals from marks about 20m out, on the weekend. It was a nice change.

Well considering our typical source for goals in recent seasons is feeding off the crumbs in play, doesn't surprise me when we get the rare mark and set shot we have the yips, cause we hardly seem to get many in game to get used to them :p

But in all seriousness you make a good point. We do have a few guys who seem to lack length when it comes to kicking, particularly the smaller guys. Tall's probably seem to kick it better at distances, probably a more leg power and longer legs thing?

Unfortunately we hardly see our talls get much shots at goal in general. If our talls (when they actually get played) learn to find space and consistently mark on the lead and our mids lower their eyes and hit the targets like they did on the weekend, cant see why we cannot see these guys taking more shots from the arc

I'm more concerned with missing the gettable ones within 30 meters, than whos taking set shots where.

Gowers, Dunkley and Dale all got goals from marks about 20m out, on the weekend. It was a nice change.
Once we started kicking deep later in the game when we had some space inside 50

First quarter we missed everything and most of those shots were out wide though.

Would love to see the GPS data of our players who take shots at goals v's same from other teams. I'm sure with more rotating through the midfield is a factor

Gowers is proably sitting on something like 3.9 for the season so far.
I looked it up. Only 3.6 actually (though he may well have missed everything a couple of times. I do remember him hitting the post twice and I thought he scored another point on the weekend on the run, but his stats read 1.2 so maybe I'm wrong or maybe he just missed everything. I can't find stats for shots at goal.

As for the distance thing, I think most AFL players of any size should be comfortably kicking 30-45 metres. 50 metres might be a bit much for many but I think it shouldn't come into play. Of more concern is where we get our set shots. Often close to the boundary or on an angle, hard to get them in the middle of the forward fifty but on an acute angle at 35 out, it does make it tough. So in that way I suppose I do agree. It would be nice if we could get more shots closer to the goals.

Another thing to bear in mind is the age of most of our players. I would expect in a few more pre-seasons our kicking distance should improve.

Goals and Behinds (The stats so far)

Dunkley: 5xGoals, 2xBehinds, 4xClangers from 46 Disposals at 74 % Eff
Bontempelli: 4xGoals, 4xBehinds, 8xClangers from 57 Disposals at 75 % Eff
Gowers: 3xGoals, 6xBehinds, 10xClangers from 33 Disposals at 52 % Eff
Macrae: 3xGoals, 2xBehinds, 8xClangers from 92 Disposals at 79 % Eff
Hunter: 3xGoals, 3xBehinds, 6xClangers from 93 Disposals at 80 % Eff
Dale: 3xGoals, 4xBehinds, 6xClangers from 47 Disposals at 68 % Eff
Roughead: 2xGoals, 1xBehind, 5xClangers from 17 Disposals at 76 % Eff
McLean: 2xGoals, 2xBehinds, 4xClangers from 76 Disposals at 79 % Eff
Suckling: 1xGoal, 2xBehinds, 9xClangers from 67 Disposals at 76 % Eff
Williams: 1xGoal, 2xBehinds, 5xClangers from 55 Disposals at 82 % Eff
Johannisen: 1xGoal, 1xBehind, 10xClangers from 58 Disposals at 84 % Eff
Wallis: 1xGoal, 1xBehind, 2xClangers from 22 Disposals at 77 % Eff
Honeychurch: 1xGoal, 0xBehinds, 7xClangers from 51 Disposals at 73 % Eff

Dahlhaus: 0xGoals, 2xBehinds, 11xClangers from 75 Disposals at 76 % Eff
Jong: 0xGoals, 2xBehinds, 2xClangers from 23 Disposals at 57 % Eff
English: 0xGoals, 1xBehind, 6xClangers from 37 Disposals at 76 % Eff
Daniel: 0xGoals, 1xBehind, 5xClangers from 40 Disposals at 78 % Eff
Trengove: 0xGoals, 1xBehinds, 3xClangers from 17 Disposals at 71 % Eff

No stats available for out on the full or this could have been epic.

Goals and Behinds (The stats so far)

Dunkley: 5xGoals, 2xBehinds, 4xClangers from 46 Disposals at 74 % Eff
Bontempelli: 4xGoals, 4xBehinds, 8xClangers from 57 Disposals at 75 % Eff
Gowers: 3xGoals, 6xBehinds, 10xClangers from 33 Disposals at 52 % Eff
Macrae: 3xGoals, 2xBehinds, 8xClangers from 92 Disposals at 79 % Eff
Hunter: 3xGoals, 3xBehinds, 6xClangers from 93 Disposals at 80 % Eff
Dale: 3xGoals, 4xBehinds, 6xClangers from 47 Disposals at 68 % Eff
Roughead: 2xGoals, 1xBehind, 5xClangers from 17 Disposals at 76 % Eff
McLean: 2xGoals, 2xBehinds, 4xClangers from 76 Disposals at 79 % Eff
Suckling: 1xGoal, 2xBehinds, 9xClangers from 67 Disposals at 76 % Eff
Williams: 1xGoal, 2xBehinds, 5xClangers from 55 Disposals at 82 % Eff
Johannisen: 1xGoal, 1xBehind, 10xClangers from 58 Disposals at 84 % Eff
Wallis: 1xGoal, 1xBehind, 2xClangers from 22 Disposals at 77 % Eff
Honeychurch: 1xGoal, 0xBehinds, 7xClangers from 51 Disposals at 73 % Eff

Dahlhaus: 0xGoals, 2xBehinds, 11xClangers from 75 Disposals at 76 % Eff
Jong: 0xGoals, 2xBehinds, 2xClangers from 23 Disposals at 57 % Eff
English: 0xGoals, 1xBehind, 6xClangers from 37 Disposals at 76 % Eff
Daniel: 0xGoals, 1xBehind, 5xClangers from 40 Disposals at 78 % Eff
Trengove: 0xGoals, 1xBehinds, 3xClangers from 17 Disposals at 71 % Eff

No stats available for out on the full or this could have been epic.
Goals: 27
Behinds: 37

I'd love to see the stats for outright misses. Ignoring out on the full or otherwise missing completely, current accuracy in front of goal is 42%

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thoughts?
Caleb has kicked some nice 55m goals. Some of those guys do struggle with distance but not all.

Who is our Casboult ? Hard Ball that big brutish contested marking beast that can't convert a set shot for nuts.
Have not seen enough at senior level from Boyd or Schache for them to assume the position, probably the
great Tom Campbell would come the closest to a poor mans Casboult and that is using both hands with
extreme friction to draw that analogy.

Who is our Casboult ? Hard Ball that big brutish contested marking beast that can't convert a set shot for nuts.
Have not seen enough at senior level from Boyd or Schache for them to assume the position, probably the
great Tom Campbell would come the closest to a poor mans Casboult and that is using both hands with
extreme friction to draw that analogy.
At the moment Billy Gowers, albeit shorter. Great set of hands though.

At the moment Billy Gowers, albeit shorter. Great set of hands though.
Sadly T-Cash you are probably right at the moment, I am still hopeful that one of the "Highly Rated" players can
put up his hand for a shot at Billy's title not that Billy has a title. Let me think "Billy The Butcher Gowers" now
he has a title the boys can step up or step off, Mr Fifty Percent works as well at least you never have to ever
question his effort which is a credit to him at this early stage and probably gets him selected.

They don't kick directly at the centre of the goals. As soon as they veer right or left in the run-up you can be quite sure they'll miss. What happened to the old technique of picking out a person sitting behind the goals and aiming the ball at him/her, or a banner? They have no difficulty finding a target during play (this week :$ ). Dickson's technique is to just boot it straight, with a decent follow-through. Many of our blokes try to steer it by hooking or curving - only Buddy can get away with that. Stop thinking about the mechanics of the kick and look at what you're aiming at.

They don't kick directly at the centre of the goals. As soon as they veer right or left in the run-up you can be quite sure they'll miss. What happened to the old technique of picking out a person sitting behind the goals and aiming the ball at him/her, or a banner? They have no difficulty finding a target during play (this week :$ ). Dickson's technique is to just boot it straight, with a decent follow-through. Many of our blokes try to steer it by hooking or curving - only Buddy can get away with that. Stop thinking about the mechanics of the kick and look at what you're aiming at.
You’re exactly right. I’m sick of players, and it happens at every club, who move out to the left or right thinking that gives them extra distance. It’s a false mindset. Like you said about Dickson, the better kicking players only run straight!

Wallis (4.1) and Lipinski (4.0) have been reliable after the first 6 rounds, while Dickson (2.0) has sadly been injured :(

Mixed bag from Gowers (8.6) though he's kicked 5.0 in recent weeks and Bontempelli (6.6) albeit with a few posters.

Our worst offenders are Dunkley (5.7), Dale (5.7), McLean (4.6) and Suckling (1.5). More practice required!!!

Not as bad as poor Jack Billings (4.11), who's scored 54.80 overall in his career :eek:

I can't for the life of me understand how jong can't make the distance from 40m. For a full time footballer probably on $200k plus it blows me away. Now in his sixth season. Not the only poor kick atm but he in particular astounds me.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back