kicking on both sides

the_big_sav

Club Legend
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
North Melbourne
Thread starter #1
is there anyone currently playing who fits the Hawkins/Jarmen/Cameron/Aker/Mitchell mould of elite on both sides?

i can think of some who are ok on their opposite or at least not afraid to kick with the opposite but with Mitchell gone i cant think of anyone

(Log in to remove this ad.)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Donakebab

Premium Gold
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Detroit Red Wings
Hurley used to be great on both feet, currently he's poor on both. :(

Goddard has been pretty good on both pegs his whole career.

Eastern Rangers

2015 Worsfold Medalist - Rowen Powell
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Royals & Subi
Shuey is so good on both feet I watched an intraclub early in his career and we couldn't work out which was his dominant.
Kicked goals on the run from tight angles on both feet
Was at that game. City end of Subiaco Oval, on his left tucked up against the boundary from 45m. Drilled it on the run under pressure. Freakish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bunk Moreland

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Essendon
is there anyone currently playing who fits the Hawkins/Jarmen/Cameron/Aker/Mitchell mould of elite on both sides?

i can think of some who are ok on their opposite or at least not afraid to kick with the opposite but with Mitchell gone i cant think of anyone
There’s not that many who are elite on their preferred foot, let alone the other.

Stylus

All Australian
AFL Club
Melbourne
Pretty sure i saw this stat in a recent article.

Mitchell was something like 51/49 between his preferred and non-preferred (if you can call it a preferred for him).

Angus Brayshaw was the next closest of current players at 62/38 or something similar.

Last edited:

Fadge

Premiership Player
AFL Club
Collingwood
It still astounds me the proportion of players at AFL level who aren't at least competent on both sides.

Being a coach of junior football, I ensure any kid with a reasonable amount of ability has a handful of training sessions during the year where they kick exclusively on their opposite foot.

This gives them the confidence to then use it on game day, and they're off and running!

Top Bottom