Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aug 27, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Royals & Subi
Shuey is so good on both feet I watched an intraclub early in his career and we couldn't work out which was his dominant.
Kicked goals on the run from tight angles on both feet

Was at that game. City end of Subiaco Oval, on his left tucked up against the boundary from 45m. Drilled it on the run under pressure. Freakish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sep 22, 2011
Your girlfriend's dreams
AFL Club
Essendon
is there anyone currently playing who fits the Hawkins/Jarmen/Cameron/Aker/Mitchell mould of elite on both sides?

i can think of some who are ok on their opposite or at least not afraid to kick with the opposite but with Mitchell gone i cant think of anyone

There’s not that many who are elite on their preferred foot, let alone the other.

Higgins looks natural on either.

On the other end, Boomer had no left foot. He however had the unrivaled ability to turn any situation into a right foot kick, even if he had to turn his opponent around 3 times to do it.

Stylus

All Australian
Sep 19, 2006
Mt Hotham
AFL Club
Melbourne
Pretty sure i saw this stat in a recent article.

Mitchell was something like 51/49 between his preferred and non-preferred (if you can call it a preferred for him).

Angus Brayshaw was the next closest of current players at 62/38 or something similar.

Last edited:

Fadge

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 4, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
It still astounds me the proportion of players at AFL level who aren't at least competent on both sides.

Being a coach of junior football, I ensure any kid with a reasonable amount of ability has a handful of training sessions during the year where they kick exclusively on their opposite foot.

This gives them the confidence to then use it on game day, and they're off and running!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back