Kickouts

Remove this Banner Ad

McKenzie was excellent. Shame he wasn't good enough at the rest of football.
Technique was excellent but it came undone in some pretty disastrous ways. I just don't think the team was ready for what he was trying a lot of the time. I remember some slow, fast missiles up the guts coming right back over his head.

Our strategy seems similar to our f50 entries over the years (minus the boundary aspect). Kick it to a contest and go from there as best we can. Thing is tho, Scotts teams have very very rarely been able to dominate the ground ball following these contests.

In the last quarter all the players were in the right half of the ground when we kicked it in. Is it really that hard to get just one player to sprint to the fat side? I realise this might involve some risk and perhaps this is way we never do it, but it would be nice to take the game on occasionally.

This is why you supporters shouldn't look at things in isolation. We actually have the lowest % of goals scored directly from our kickouts in the league.

Because they all end up with an OOB or stoppage before the ball comes sailing back over our heads.

Yes that is an interesting stat isn't it? I assume the teams with the worst record for goals scored against them directly from their own kickouts are those that go short up the middle and miss targets every now and again. There is probably a direct correlation between the teams that have the highest % of goals scored directly against them from kickouts also having the best record for going coast-to-coast and scoring. In other words, it's a high risk high reward tactic to pick through a zone, whereas down the line to a contest is low risk and virtually zero reward. But as you say, the low risk is a misnomer because the stat sheet doesn't recognise kick-in to OOB to goal as those ones just goes down as a goal scored from a stoppage.

Giantroo is putting something together that includes all of our kick ins.
Should be interesting viewing.
Yep. Video below. 15 kick outs and we scored just one behind from one complete transition to the F50 for the whole game. Even then, GC got a touch on the ball.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our kick in plan revolves around setting up for the ball going out of bounds after a contest on the HBF.

It's bullshit.

Furthermore, we are the easiest team to score against from a stoppage so what the * does that say about our gameplan

Yep. Video below. 15 kick outs and we scored just one behind from one complete transition to the F50 for the whole game. Even then, GC got a touch on the ball.

I’m not a JMac hater. But that vision fills me with rage. I hate the way we play. Hate it.
The female supporter at 2 mins even said why don’t we go down the middle lol

I’m not a JMac hater. But that vision fills me with rage. I hate the way we play. Hate it.

It was like watching the same highlight 15 times on loop.

Completely unimaginative and easily defended.

Absolute dross.

I'm fairly sure there wasn't a single occasion where we kicked to a player working hard into space to create a marking option. Players not working hard enough or players following instruction?
I'm fairly sure the only occasion we kicked down the middle was with 44 seconds to go in the game. Is this due to players not willing to take the riskier option, knowing their limitations, or players again following instructions?
I agree with the sentiments of your rage but IMO the players are clearly following instructions or at least have not been coached to take alternate, riskier options.

Giantroo I would love to see a similar video after next week's game under the roof in dry conditions. In part, as I'm prepared to cut the players a little bit of slack due to the atrocious conditions they were playing in against the GC.

I'm fairly sure there wasn't a single occasion where we kicked to a player working hard into space to create a marking option. Players not working hard enough or players following instruction?
I'm fairly sure the only occasion we kicked down the middle was with 44 seconds to go in the game. Is this due to players not willing to take the riskier option, knowing their limitations, or players again following instructions?
I agree with the sentiments of your rage but IMO the players are clearly following instructions or at least have not been coached to take alternate, riskier options.

Giantroo I would love to see a similar video after next week's game under the roof in dry conditions. In part, as I'm prepared to cut the players a little bit of slack due to the atrocious conditions they were playing in against the GC.
Will do.

As Northboy posted back on May 10, 2004:

Originally posted by NorthBhoy
Like the general gameplan, either tweak it, or pick players who can make it work.

The players do not trust themselves to hit targets, epsecially across goal and it is usually with good reason. Most of 'em can't kick.

We are in 2018 and we are still having this same issue.

Is this a bumped thread from 2002? Honestly our kickins have been an issue that long that i can't help but think that our incompetence at them is built into Arden Street DNA.

Laidley inherited a list with this problem and it's still a problem. It's never been good, don't throw names like Mullett and McKenzie up. Please.

I wouldn't be putting too much emphasis on the way we kicked in last week. Of course the best option in those conditions is to get the ball outside the 50m zone. If we had of tried to hit targets within the 50m I guarantee this thread would be from a completely different angle.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back