Analysis Kids Choosing Cricket over AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

I think the IPL would be a bigger influence making huge money for 6wks work would be enticing you would think.

That is also what I think that could pull Kids away from AFL as they can make Ton more Money in lot less time IF they make it big in the IPL

Look at Reilly Meredith $1 mill plus. Add that to his other teams and he is set for life.

Play lot less for lot more Money IF you come Half Descent

In cricket you probably have to be the equivalent of a top 10-20 AFL player to get the real big bucks so it’s a big call choosing cricket over footy for purely financial reasons.
I mean about 200 Victorians play at the top level of football every week compared to 11 in cricket so it’s a risky choice.

Might sound silly but the ‘Free hit’ these kids get if they return to AFL helps them choose cricket of footy.

I mean Alex Keath was one of the best 17 year olds of his age group, pursued cricket, didn’t work, went to a footy club and said hey am I eligible? (May not have worked out exactly like this but the point remains).

A kid like Will Sutherland will have a go, if he doesn’t ‘make it’ the fall back is still there to play AFL as a Cat B rookie. S

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you make it to the Aussie team and play IPL, you would clear nearly $5m a year before endorsements.

The base from CA alone is near on $2m for half the team. It’s also a longer career given you aren’t being wrapped up at 30.

It’s a no brainer, there is no greater accomplishment or honour in Australian Sport than to play Cricket for Australia.

You have the choice of being big in your own lunch box in Melbourne or be big period. Brett Lee is a perfect example, is still so popular in India, he makes millions post career doing adds, Tv, movies and singing.

Rakes it in.

Gilly, Steve Waugh and Haydos similar, apparently raking it in, especially Steve Waugh with his links to Macquarie Bank. There would be two blokes in the AFL whose total income exceeds $2m, 1 is Dusty and the other is the CEO.

What choice?

If you make it to the Aussie team and play IPL, you would clear nearly $5m a year before endorsements.

The base from CA alone is near on $2m for half the team. It’s also a longer career given you aren’t being wrapped up at 30.

It’s a no brainer, there is no greater accomplishment or honour in Australian Sport than to play Cricket for Australia.

You have the choice of being big in your own lunch box in Melbourne or be big period. Brett Lee is a perfect example, is still so popular in India, he makes millions post career doing adds, Tv, movies and singing.

Rakes it in.

Gilly, Steve Waugh and Haydos similar, apparently raking it in, especially Steve Waugh with his links to Macquarie Bank. There would be two blokes in the AFL whose total income exceeds $2m, 1 is Dusty and the other is the CEO.

What choice?

The Ipl is a game changer

Even third world countries 20/20 leagues you can make good money in no time.

I dislike 20/20 but it's changed the landscape.

As predicted by many before the format started - kids can't bat time any more and have rubbish technique as a consequence

There is only 32 spots each round for foreigners to play IPL and you are competing with players from all over the world. Look at Steve Smith even, I think he only gets mid $300’s this year. (Still great for a couple of months work)
Obviously there is opportunities to make more in cricket but you also have to be about ten times as good as you do at football to make good money.

Rakes it in.

What choice?

Just look at Mitch Marsh, its not only the superstars of cricket.
Reality is that their are a very limited number of spots available in cricket so for the many kids who are good at both its a no brainer, AFL footy is the easy way out.
The number of spots in AFL footy attracts kids from other sports too ( Australian Liam Hendriks on the rise after signing massive Major League Baseball deal - ABC News), WHO?

AFL footy wins with kids that are challenged by leaving home. You dont have any future in cricket with that lack of resilience.

The thing about IPL is that reputations dont count for anything, Steve Smith copped a $2m pay cut.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just look at Mitch Marsh, its not only the superstars of cricket.
Reality is that their are a very limited number of spots available in cricket so for the many kids who are good at both its a no brainer, AFL footy is the easy way out.
The number of spots in AFL footy attracts kids from other sports too ( Australian Liam Hendriks on the rise after signing massive Major League Baseball deal - ABC News), WHO?

AFL footy wins with kids that are challenged by leaving home. You dont have any future in cricket with that lack of resilience.

The thing about IPL is that reputations dont count for anything, Steve Smith copped a $2m pay cut.

Steve Smith could also buy out Dusty with the dreck change in his bottom drawer.

We are a big baseball family, so I know who Hendrix is.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back