Food, Drink & Dining Out Kids these days

Remove this Banner Ad

How many people announce their pregnancies so early? It's a pity that infertility/ miscarriage is so rarely talked about (and yet is so common)
If she was further along in her pregnancy , you'd have more of a point

She's also 37 , so her earlier comment that she "would like to have kids" isn't the same as a 17 or even 27 year old woman saying that (ie she clearly wasn't talking about waiting for a few more years before trying ...)

I posted this in another thread, but men have it so much easier with regards to the biological clock .

Women have kids in their 40s these days. If I said she had to have a kid at 37 I'd be called sexist.:)

If she was pregnant (not confirmed until Oct) during the election then she was trying up to and during the election. Again, not the same as simply saying 'I'd like to have kids'.

As the PM of a country it would be nice if she actually served a term or close to it before taking off on maternity leave. No doubt she'll be publicly breastfeeding at every opportunity to show how progressive she is.

Men do have it easier in that regard but if a male PM had a baby in office (Justin Trudeau's wife did) he'd be expected to do his job and time away from the baby would just be part and parcel of it.

Blind People think they're so cool. They're awkward campaigners who live at home and have s**t taste in clothes. You never see them at music festivals or nightclubs but act smug and look at you weirdly if you try to talk to them. Some of them are hot but whatever, what do they actually do?

Was this you Messenger? s**t I laughed

But they all had very supportive partners and/or families

You forgot to mention, most importantly, supportive workplaces.

Of the three: partners, families and workplaces; it is the workplaces that have the least "skin in the game" to provide this support. All they really gain is access to a broader talent pool in the long term. I can understand how a very small business with pressing short term requirements would struggle to see how, on balance, this tangibly benefits them.

You forgot to mention, most importantly, supportive workplaces.
Actually, I deliberately left that out, because a big reason some of them went back to work in 4-6 weeks (and used a combination of paid medical and annual leave in the process) in the first place was because their workplaces weren't very supportive (but their partner's workplace was)

Actually, I deliberately left that out, because a big reason some of them went back to work in 4-6 weeks (and used a combination of paid medical and annual leave in the process) in the first place was because their workplaces weren't very supportive (but their partner's workplace was)

But the ones that can and do, are mainly due to supportive workplaces, not their families.

Why do you think some workplaces are reticent to give this level of support, whereas partners and families are happy to help?

It's pretty obvious isn't it?

Women have kids in their 40s these days. If I said she had to have a kid at 37 I'd be called sexist.:)

If she was pregnant (not confirmed until Oct) during the election then she was trying up to and during the election. Again, not the same as simply saying 'I'd like to have kids'.

As the PM of a country it would be nice if she actually served a term or close to it before taking off on maternity leave. No doubt she'll be publicly breastfeeding at every opportunity to show how progressive she is.

Men do have it easier in that regard but if a male PM had a baby in office (Justin Trudeau's wife did) he'd be expected to do his job and time away from the baby would just be part and parcel of it.
Women had kids in their 40s in "those days" too
But it's still uncommon
Even with assisted reproductive technologies, the rates of infertility just skyrocket after 35 and after 40
You wouldn't be called sexist for stating what is (unfortunately) a biological fact

Why is publically breastfeeding even an issue?

And as I mentioned above, Ardern's partner is going to be a stay at home dad, so that will be true of her too
I just wonder if the media will allow her to just "do her job" ....
Helen Clark was treated a little more fairly by the NZ media than Gillard was by the Aussie media, so maybe they will ^^

But the ones that can and do, are mainly due to supportive workplaces, not their families.

Why do you think some workplaces are reticent to give this level of support, whereas partners and families are happy to help?

It's pretty obvious isn't it?
I don't question that supportive workplaces are important
And that there aren't enough supportive workplaces around (for the reason you said above- employers look at the short term rather than the long term)
But no, the support of their own employer wasn't the reason why the people I know returned to work in 4-6 weeks (which is the scenario I was talking about earlier) ... it was because they had either parents or partners who assumed the role of the full time , stay-at-home carer/s

Women had kids in their 40s in "those days" too
But it's still uncommon
Even with assisted reproductive technologies, the rates of infertility just skyrocket after 35 and after 40
You wouldn't be called sexist for stating what is (unfortunately) a biological fact

Why is publically breastfeeding even an issue?

And as I mentioned above, Ardern's partner is going to be a stay at home dad, so that will be true of her too
I just wonder if the media will allow her to just "do her job" ....
Helen Clark was treated a little more fairly by the NZ media than Gillard was by the Aussie media, so maybe they will ^^

You get howled down for asking if a woman plans to have a child so I imagine you'd be howled down for suggesting she best do it before the well dries up.

Public breastfeeding isn't an issue on its own. Breastfeeding is natural and no one should be shamed for doing it etc. Most women are discrete about it and don't want people watching them. And most people who come across someone breastfeeding give them privacy. And then there's the small percentage who want everyone to know about it (http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-05-...y-first-to-be-breastfed-in-parliament/8511786). The federal parliament isn't a bloody creche. Given she self-identifies as a progressive and a feminist I fully expect she'll milk (pardon the pun) every opportunity for a public breastfeeding. 'Here's me breastfeeding at Waitangi Day', 'Here's me breastfeeding at CHOGM'. Etc. But that's just me being cynical and apparently a 6 week old baby can be raised without its mother.

I highly doubt Ardern will be jaunting off for weeks at a time with a newborn baby at home.

You get howled down for asking if a woman plans to have a child so I imagine you'd be howled down for suggesting she best do it before the well dries up.
Not given the context
Especially since you haven't been "howled down" for suggesting the opposite (that she should've waited until finishing a term/being at the end of a term)

Public breastfeeding isn't an issue on its own. Breastfeeding is natural and no one should be shamed for doing it etc. Most women are discrete about it and don't want people watching them. And most people who come across someone breastfeeding give them privacy. And then there's the small percentage who want everyone to know about it (http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-05-...y-first-to-be-breastfed-in-parliament/8511786). The federal parliament isn't a bloody creche. Given she self-identifies as a progressive and a feminist I fully expect she'll milk (pardon the pun) every opportunity for a public breastfeeding. 'Here's me breastfeeding at Waitangi Day', 'Here's me breastfeeding at CHOGM'. Etc. But that's just me being cynical and apparently a 6 week old baby can be raised without its mother.
I still don't see why any of this is an issue .

I highly doubt Ardern will be jaunting off for weeks at a time with a newborn baby at home.
I guess we'll see what happens. Maybe her partner/the baby will go with her, or maybe she will "jaunt off" with the knowledge that her baby will be in the loving care of its father . Or maybe, she'll delegate that to the evergreen Winston Peters . I don't see why any of this matters.

Back to my original point- it's hard to gauge how much of the criticism is due to her age (37) v. gender v. the pregnancy

Is this some sort of weird thread merging. SA OP is about kids these days.

Ive lost the segue
He's just a weasel-headed ****nugget who buys Chrisco, lives in Perth and hates teachers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Since having a baby I have completely changed my mind and am actually with Scotland on this one

Her ability to do her job is going to be compromised by becoming a first time parent.

What happens if a bomb drops during her leave? War breaks out? An act of terror on NZ soil? The markets crash?

Sent from mTalk
what about all those old white dudes moments away from a heart attack or stroke that get voted in? Oh yeah, they have these things called deputies/vice presidents/governments etc

'I would like to have kids' is not the same as 'hey guess what I'm pregnant but I'm not telling you until after I secure minority government and become PM'.
Yeah first trimester you are told by the doctors not to rush out and tell everyone as depending on circumstances there is a 10-25% chance of miscarriage.

I know people that were trying for years, gave up and then got pregnant, I know people that weren't trying and got pregnant, you're assuming based on her age and comments that she planned to get pregnant when she did. Pregnancies don't just go to plan or happen on demand

what about all those old white dudes moments away from a heart attack or stroke that get voted in? Oh yeah, they have these things called deputies/vice presidents/governments etc

How far do we wanna take this? What about all those (I understand bringing gender in to the argument, but why race?) young to middle aged dudes that could be moments away from an accident or assassination?

I absolutely applaud her and this is only a good thing, but there must some very thorough plans in place because this is uncharted territory not to be taken lightly or overshadowed by girl power.

How far do we wanna take this? What about all those (I understand bringing gender in to the argument, but why race?) young to middle aged dudes that could be moments away from an accident or assassination?

I absolutely applaud her and this is only a good thing, but there must some very thorough plans in place because this is uncharted territory not to be taken lightly or overshadowed by girl power.
i was mainly thinking of all your Howards, Bushes, Trumps etc that don't exactly come into power in the prime of their youth, how many people worry about a bomb etc if they are in hospital getting a bypass etc

Guys I’m all bout speaking truth to power, telling it like it is etc but the idea someone can’t be a parent and do their job at the same time is horrendously ridiculous

*in, a large portion of the population do both these things every day, pretty effectually

I’d love to hear some anecdotes about women you’ve worked with who screwed up they’d jobs because of their kids

I mean, I wouldn’t, I’d actually hate to read your obviously embellished sexist diatribes but go on, waste your time

Why are people comparing normal jobs to being the leader of a country?

Why are you treating the job like a magically difficult task of ridiculous proportions (unless you’re a dude I guess) if you are forced to juggle the added responsibilities of a parent, something done regularly and quite well by billions of people around the globe every day?

I am taller than both of my parents.

Clear lies. Nobody is taller than their parents, it’s why humanity has slowly evolved from 30-foot manga beats to the 30” pigmy race we are today

Hey is anyone else starting to suspect SA is some kind of long-con troll

Last edited:
Blind People think they're so cool. They're awkward campaigners who live at home and have s**t taste in clothes. You never see them at music festivals or nightclubs but act smug and look at you weirdly if you try to talk to them. Some of them are hot but whatever, what do they actually do?

Lol didn't even notice this was an alias

Remove this Banner Ad

Back