Food, Drink & Dining Out Kids these days

Remove this Banner Ad

Must say I'm very interested to see how kids turn out in the next decade or so. Wouldn't be surprised if they have some mental health issues caused by things we haven't seen before. All that behaviour desperately seeking validation in the form of likes on Instagram and Facebook cannot be good at all, particularly when it begins from the time they're in primary school. When I started using Facebook nobody gave a s**t about likes. A few years later they became more of a thing and they had me at times comparing my worth to other's worth simply by looking at the difference in likes. It seems ridiculous looking back but as an insecure 16/17 year old it didn't feel great seeing your mate destroy you in like counts.

Imagine these days with kids using phones and tablets from a very young age. Kids are going to be comparing their families and their houses to other families and their houses on a level never seen before. Then all the cyber bullying and all that BS.

One must wonder the impact communicating through phones all the time rather than meeting up with people will have on their social skills. I've always wondered if sleepovers are still a big thing. Most of mine were based around video games, playing split screen games or watching the other play some game you didn't own yet. Every kid these days can just turn on their PS4 and play against their mates in an instant.

Have noticed the clothes thing for sure. As a kid I wore some truly horrid s**t. Piping hot t-shirts and a s**t ton of shitty jeans. My mum dressed me up heaps when I was 3-4 but for some reason that changed as I grew up. Every kid I see these days has the latest haircut, the latest pair of Nikes and clothes that I'd probably wear. Maybe social media is to blame for that too. It's all one big competition.

Last edited:
Must say I'm very interested to see how kids turn out in the next decade or so. Wouldn't be surprised if they have some mental health issues caused by things we haven't seen before. All that behaviour desperately seeking validation in the form of likes on Instagram and Facebook cannot be good at all, particularly when it begins from the time they're in primary school. When I started using Facebook nobody gave a s**t about likes. A few years later they became more of a thing and they had me at times comparing my worth to other's worth simply by looking at the difference in likes. It seems ridiculous looking back but as an insecure 16/17 year old it didn't feel great seeing your mate destroy you in like counts.

Imagine these days with kids using phones and tablets from a very young age. Kids are going to be comparing their families and their houses to other families and their houses on a level never seen before. Then all the cyber bullying and all that BS.

Have noticed the clothes thing for sure. As a kid I wore some truly horrid s**t. Piping hot t-shirts and a s**t ton of shitty jeans. My mum dressed me up heaps when I was 3-4 but for some reason that changed as I grew up. Every kid I see these days has the latest haircut, the latest pair of Nikes and clothes that I'd probably wear. Maybe social media is to blame for that too. It's all one big competition.
Very true! I limit the time my boys spend on social media and I pump the sport. Works for me

Very true! I limit the time my boys spend on social media and I pump the sport. Works for me
That's a good to hear but I could imagine it could be hard for many or they wouldn't really think it's an issue.

If I was to guess I think a lot of parents would turn a blind eye just like they did when it came to my generation with laptops.

Couldn't believe the other day when I heard that kids at some high school voted to ban phone use. Apparently these kids were using them all day, barely talking to each other in the yard and letting them get in the way of their work in the classroom. How is that even possible? Phones were well and truly mainstream by the time I finished but even still we only used them on the odd occasion, mostly to listen to music or check NBA scores. How can you stand there in the yard at lunch and just have your eyes glued to a phone? Phones to me are a great way to kill boredom. I was never once bored in the yard at school.

Of course kids in the future are going to have different issue, the world changes

So their depression has a different trigger, it's still depression.

So they were bullied on Skype or Instagram or whatever, it's still bullying.

s**t I did so much dumb stuff as a kid that was never recorded but these days everyone has a phone with a camera.

My embarrassing s**t was limited to what people saw or talked about, people can't go online and watch it

Reckon the next lot of kids are always going to be the worst, and each generation goes up complaining about how the one before ruined the planet.

The fact the second one is looking true this time doesn't mean the first one also is

Of course kids in the future are going to have different issue, the world changes

So their depression has a different trigger, it's still depression.

So they were bullied on Skype or Instagram or whatever, it's still bullying.

s**t I did so much dumb stuff as a kid that was never recorded but these days everyone has a phone with a camera.

My embarrassing s**t was limited to what people saw or talked about, people can't go online and watch it

Reckon the next lot of kids are always going to be the worst, and each generation goes up complaining about how the one before ruined the planet.

The fact the second one is looking true this time doesn't mean the first one also is
I think it’s genuinely concerning though that these kids have so much pressure on them from an early age thanks to social media.

I found myself really disliking some of my mates in year 11 because of how obsessed they became about Facebook popularity. These kids are going to have all sorts of nasty arguments, nasty views of each and bullying will be harder to get away from thanks to the competitiveness that social media promotes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back