Family & Relationships Kids, want them, have them or not interested?

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
Definately take them to childcare from atleast 2.5 years onwards.

Helps their social skills.

Makes them learn they arent the centre of attention

Reduces their boredom by providing a new stimulating environment with plenty to do.

Makes them less spoiled.

Gives the parents some sanity time.

Gives them multiple attachments so they become less fearful when not around mum.

Is better for the economy.

Helps womens careers if they get back to work sooner.

wadistance

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 17, 2011
Hamburg, DE
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
BvB, Boston Celtics
Definately take them to childcare from atleast 2.5 years onwards.

Helps their social skills.

Makes them learn they arent the centre of attention

Reduces their boredom by providing a new stimulating environment with plenty to do.

Makes them less spoiled.

Gives the parents some sanity time.

Gives them multiple attachments so they become less fearful when not around mum.

Is better for the economy.

Helps womens careers if they get back to work sooner.

Luckily childcare starts at 1 year of age over here - and the most you pay is 180€ month. Mums get 12 months off, paid @65% wage and dads get 2 months off @65%

In terms of brainwashing kids and football teams, Miss 3 knows all the words to Heja BVB and watches the walk out and first 10 minutes or so of games with me ... it’s a brilliant start.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
Luckily childcare starts at 1 year of age over here - and the most you pay is 180€ month. Mums get 12 months off, paid @65% wage and dads get 2 months off @65%

In terms of brainwashing kids and football teams, Miss 3 knows all the words to Heja BVB and watches the walk out and first 10 minutes or so of games with me ... it’s a brilliant start.

Fu** me. I pay 60 thousand dollars a year for two kids in childcare.

Fu** me. I pay 60 thousand dollars a year for two kids in childcare.
$60k? how?

I have 2 in child care 3 days a week and it costing me about $18k

edit. just remember the rebate has changed

Sent from my SM-A505YN using Tapatalk

No rebate. 5 days a week. My wife earns 90 thousand dollars a year. So after tax its in the 60s so she effectively works for free.
fair point.

The rebate has changed over the last 6 odd months which has been the time we have started sending our second to childcare. The new cap has saved us heaps so we got lucky. I think there is a $10k rebate cap if you are earning between $170k-$250k.

But if we sent them another day a week we would be over the cap and they would start costing some ridiculous price

How good is Australia!
tbf I have kids in childcare and I don't think it is the governments responsibility to look after them.

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
fair point.

The rebate has changed over the last 6 odd months which has been the time we have started sending our second to childcare. The new cap has saved us heaps so we got lucky. I think there is a $10k rebate cap if you are earning between $170k-$250k.

But if we sent them another day a week we would be over the cap and they would start costing some ridiculous price
Yes the policy encourages people to work a little bit but not close to full time. Its bizarre. Working only a couple of days a week does not help womens careers. For some jobs you have to work full time or not at all.

Yes the policy encourages people to work a little bit but not close to full time. Its bizarre. Working only a couple of days a week does not help womens careers. For some jobs you have to work full time or not at all.
I agree.

We are just lucky that my wife works from home one day and week and we have parents to look after the kids the other day

wadistance

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 17, 2011
Hamburg, DE
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
BvB, Boston Celtics
tbf I have kids in childcare and I don't think it is the governments responsibility to look after them.

It is absolutely in the governments best interest to fund daycare at a high level

- it decreases unemployment, both for mothers and childcare workers
- it benefits employers as they don’t need to train new staff if employees come back t work after 12/14 months
- it greatly benefits the cognitive development of young children. There’s a reason that European exchange students usually go a year up when they come to australian schools .. it’s because they are busy learning their social skills early on and this translates to their knowledge base almost 18 months ahead of Australian kids.

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
Seeds sometimes makes s**t up.
1200 dollars per week. Just a regular daycare nothing special about. Want to see the receipts? And i dont live in the inner suburbs of melbourne or sydney either. There it can reach over $150 per kid per day.

If we were in sweden we get all this for free cos they dont means test there. Do you still want the swedish system?

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
F*** i thought you would just google. Im not going to post where my kids go to day care or my name on an internet forum

But see here. Average price of daycare. Not high end price. Just average. Its actually higher then what i posted. Others have it worse then us. Imagine if you had 3 kids at daycare. Costs would be 100 thousand a year without the subsidy. How are women supposed to justify working when thats how much they lose.

biggiemediums

Norm Smith Medallist
WCE Wings Guernsey
Jul 20, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
I'm probably in a situation that almost NO ONE else here is in.

I met the love of my life, she has two children. Well we didn't work out because having the children as a a full time step parent (bio father is in Sydney, we are in Melbourne) absolutely ****ed up my life's career goals and threw me into depression for a very long time. We've since broken up but still live together as friends and it is genuinely the PERFECT situation for us both and the children are thriving and loving it. We always have each other's back it has eased the pressure on me to the point where the children are now getting the best parts of me rather than the stress of being dad #2.

The reason I'm writing this is for anyone who has children and feels that it's impacting their life negatively.....

There is ALWAYS a way to fix your situation. Always.

Apr 2, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
******* spot on!!!!! People who have kids and then complain about the cost of child care do my head in.
I understand them. Government has actively pursued policies that have jacked up housing and living costs and promoted women/both parents working which has had the effect of adding to child care costs

Apr 2, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
To question. I'd have them maybe but I'd say both parents work part time (ideal) or I get to stay home a year or 2 during first 5 years. Wouldn't want to work 45 hours then be too knackered to do anything at night+ sleep deprived. Lean to no anyway getting too old anyways.

Jun 19, 2011
MCG
AFL Club
Hawthorn
To question. I'd have them maybe but I'd say both parents work part time (ideal) or I get to stay home a year or 2 during first 5 years. Wouldn't want to work 45 hours then be too knackered to do anything at night+ sleep deprived. Lean to no anyway getting too old anyways.
This is our set up and will be until the kids finish high school most likely. Working well so far, but we'll see how it ends up. Raising kids is a marathon, not a sprint.

Back