Covertackle

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2012
Ipswich
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Melbourne Dees
I did research early last year regarding this topic. I discovered not only is weight training for pre adolescents safe, it creates neuro pathways between muscle and brain that wont happen again after maturity.

Light weights with high reps is perfectly safe for children. In fact we were at a RL academy expo and were told city boys whom had access to best coaching etc (academies) were given personalised gym weights schedules from the age of 12. Country boys haven't the access to academys don't do weights at all, and by u16s the strength difference is almost unassailable. Counrty boys cant train as hard because of it and so don't go mush further.

The wives tale that adolescent weight training is dangerous or stunts growth probably originated because Olympic weightlifting suits shorter people due to leverages, force levers etc

It can effect growth plates etc but to do so involves some really shitty programming with progressions that are way too quick.

Weight training for children, even heavy weight training, it just needs to be slow in its progression to get there so the bones can become denser and stronger and the tendons and ligaments thicken up too.

It can effect growth plates etc but to do so involves some really shitty programming with progressions that are way too quick.

Weight training for children, even heavy weight training, it just needs to be slow in its progression to get there so the bones can become denser and stronger and the tendons and ligaments thicken up too.

Don't you need to damage a growth plate to cause any stunting?
(Source: I read that this one time on the interwebs)

Yeah that's what I meant by shitty programming and lifting too heavy too quickly. It fine so long as the progression is slow and everything can catch up

Remove this Banner Ad

Back