Kids who play junior footy

Remove this Banner Ad

Amazing how green the ovals are now ferball!!!!! Cricket starts again this Saturday but more looking forward to the junior AFL season starting. Trials for Districts is in a month.

Both boys are eligible to play the same age bracket as last year(Under 10's and 8's) so weighing up whether to be that dad that says they should both play up. Both Won their respective Best and Fairests last year so maybe. . . Matt is 8 and has won the Best and Fairest twice already in U8's so he'll definitely go up to 9's.

I made a video of the bits I caught of Ben's year that I liked.

Rain... What a difference it makes.

1st game of cricket after the Christmas break, boys got pumped. Went up to the top division and it showed.

Ben scored 18 off 15 balls and took a ripper catch (only catch of the game). Next best batter was 7 yikes. Hopefully they warm up a bit.

Anyone else have war stories or pics/videos of junior sport??

1st game of cricket after the Christmas break, boys got pumped. Went up to the top division and it showed.

Ben scored 18 off 15 balls and took a ripper catch (only catch of the game). Next best batter was 7 yikes. Hopefully they warm up a bit.

Anyone else have war stories or pics/videos of junior sport??

Nice work on the video. Both the boys have nice form playing some defensive shots rather than just trying to belt everything.

Nice work on the video. Both the boys have nice form playing some defensive shots rather than just trying to belt everything.
It's really hard, they have 13-15 balls to face. Many will be wides, NB's (unhittable) and if you get out you stay in. Not conducive to honouring your wicket or playing smart shots tailored to the current ball. Most boys just go the slog shot between straight ahead and leg side.

Both boys are just hanging out for footy really!

Sharing purely for the grass transformation. Although the length of the grass made for a dour game. Ben failed to hit a 4 for the 1st time in over 10 games (he's only play 19) and his lowest score ever of 5 off about 9 balls.

Anyone else lucky enough to have community sport back?

Both boys played (U9 and U11s) both 3 votes so very happy.

Video is mainly my 8yo playing up in the 9s #50 (Ben Brown baby!!)

Nup, the latest lockdown info came out last week an hour before my little bloke was to have his final training session for his first game of U8’s the following weekend. He was all geared up in his footy team’s clobber and within half an hour training was cancelled and the season postponed again.

Nup, the latest lockdown info came out last week an hour before my little bloke was to have his final training session for his first game of U8’s the following weekend. He was all geared up in his footy team’s clobber and within half an hour training was cancelled and the season postponed again.
That sucks!!!! The footage in my video is of my 8yo (playing up with 9s) and I keep reminding him how lucky he is to be getting any games.

This Friday my 8yo and 10yo with help out the 10s in a game then play their 9s and 11s games respectively. So 2 games each - very fortunate.

My two boys played their first game on the weekend - one win and one loss they both got a few touches which was great.
Unfortunately 3 of the clubs in our league are in the Cardinia shire and cant play so we have some kids who can play but the kids in the next town cant.
Heard a story of one city parent who rang a local club president and was prepared to rent a house in Warragul so that his kid could play footy for the season! Would kind of make a mockery of the lockdown if he managed to find a club that would agree to it!

My two boys played their first game on the weekend - one win and one loss they both got a few touches which was great.
Unfortunately 3 of the clubs in our league are in the Cardinia shire and cant play so we have some kids who can play but the kids in the next town cant.
Heard a story of one city parent who rang a local club president and was prepared to rent a house in Warragul so that his kid could play footy for the season! Would kind of make a mockery of the lockdown if he managed to find a club that would agree to it!
I'm sure we (QLD) will eventually get the 2nd wave wash through so just thankful for each game.

That city parent is pretty, hopefully I wouldn't go to that length haha

I'm sure we (QLD) will eventually get the 2nd wave wash through so just thankful for each game.

That city parent is pretty, hopefully I wouldn't go to that length haha
Hopefully you don’t get the second wave cos I think life in Melbourne wouldn’t be too flash at the moment. Everything is still open out where we are but who knows how long that will last.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That sucks!!! Do you think some will jump codes?
No other sport is being played either so no more likely to jump codes than any other year. Just wondering if some of them get used to life without footy and don’t come back to it - not so much young ones but have a feeling there could be a fair drop off in teenager numbers but who knows really.

No other sport is being played either so no more likely to jump codes than any other year. Just wondering if some of them get used to life without footy and don’t come back to it - not so much young ones but have a feeling there could be a fair drop off in teenager numbers but who knows really.
Yeah there will probably be some drop off unfortunately.

Doubt it. What a great year to fork out for the little bloke’s first pair of boots (x2), proper mouthguard and club gear.
Yeah we were in the same place March/April TT. Boots that barely last a season at the rate the kid's feet grow, player rego the clubs were going to keep.

So bloody fortunate to get games in. 10yo is 4 games from his 100th and they seem so much happier being able to get out and have fun.

Cases keep popping up in QLD so we're treating each community game as its last and trying to appreciate the opportunities.

10yo played his 100th game and 8yo played a very very tough game against a strong Sherwood team.

For anyone interested my 2 finished the season and Ben #11yo was even lucky enough to play in an U12 Grand Final last Saturday although they went down by 2 points.

We even our first game of cricket last Saturday, anyone else lucky enough to start up cricket?

Hopefully with restrictions easing everyone will be able to participate in Community sport!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back