Last edited:
I am going to go with
Out: Melican, Clarke, Stoddart
In: Pink, Rose, Knoll

Pink replaces Melican
Fox replaces Stoddart
Knoll does as much ruck work as possible otherwise on the bench
Mclean plays Forward\Ruck role
Ha, not a hope in hell that Pink plays AFL football for the Sydney Swans (or any other team)!
Knoll may, Menzel may (hopefully for me), Rose May, Florent will.

Ha, not a hope in hell that Pink plays AFL football for the Sydney Swans (or any other team)!
Knoll may, Menzel may (hopefully for me), Rose May, Florent will.
I like Pink's work at NEAFL level and think Melican has had a pretty terrible year so I wouldnt mind seeing what Pink is like at the top level.

He wont play of course and I don't think Knoll will either as the coaches seem happy getting butchered in the middle.

Also I don't think Rose will play either because even though we kept him on the list for years and he has performed better than many when given a chance the coaches don't seem to think he is good enough.

So yes Florent will play(forgot about him actually) and I guess Clarke or Fox will go out.

I like Pink's work at NEAFL level and think Melican has had a pretty terrible year so I wouldnt mind seeing what Pink is like at the top level.

He wont play of course and I don't think Knoll will either as the coaches seem happy getting butchered in the middle.

Also I don't think Rose will play either because even though we kept him on the list for years and he has performed better than many when given a chance the coaches don't seem to think he is good enough.

So yes Florent will play(forgot about him actually) and I guess Clarke or Fox will go out.
Hope you don’t mind me addressing these in order and they are my opinion.
1. It appears like it but Knoll hasn’t been ready. His game today was very good and he worked well with Naismith.
2. Played in backline and was impressive. I maintain he’s too good for NEAFL and just needs as good a run as many others have received at AFL level. I think they want him around, but again, this is my opinion.

Hope you don’t mind me addressing these in order and they are my opinion.
1. It appears like it but Knoll hasn’t been ready. His game today was very good and he worked well with Naismith.
2. Played in backline and was impressive. I maintain he’s too good for NEAFL and just needs as good a run as many others have received at AFL level. I think they want him around, but again, this is my opinion.

I agree to a point i mean there is ready and then there is ready. Is he ready to come into a top 8 side and play finals - No. Is he ready to come into a bottom 4 side and try to stem the bleeding in the ruck - Yeah i think so.

On Rose, he was very impressive in fact I would go as far to say that it was one of his best all round NEAFL games he has ever played. In a team that was clearly outmatched by the Lions he was a major reason we got as close as we did.

Think Mills went into the mids late in the last v Geelong. Would like to see him spend a full game there v GWS, nothing to lose now.
His form has improved in the second half of the year at HB, but it's time to have a look at whether he's actually got something to offer in the middle or not .... Ahead of a very important off-season, I would've thought it might be useful to have actually seen what he may or may not actually do in there in a real AFL game or two.

Ins:
Florent (injury probably came at a good time for him as I think he needed a break)
Rose (again, stiff to be dropped and more than earned a recall in the NEAFL)
Pink (this last month should be all about trying our options, been good in defence all year in reserves)

Outs:
Clarke (say what you like about Florent, he's an automatic upgrade on Clarke on the outside)
Fox (the battle of the utilities/depth players, Rose > Fox on current form)
Melican (rate him but has not been good for most of this year, Pink deserves a chance)

I'd give Stoddart another chance, because why not. Yes he was a debacle against the Cats but at least he was trying things. May be a type who takes longer than most to adjust to senior level, but we won't know until we give him that proper chance, and we have nothing to lose!

If we play Naismith, after one NEAFL match, in a match that means nothing to us......

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jack to get a recall

I reckon he'll play ltd minutes in the 2s this week. He and McVeigh will be busting for the last round. Will both be chaired off after a rousing win v the Saints.

Hoping they try some different things now.

For the last month, make our midfield Parker, Hewett, Dawson, Heeney, Mills, Rowbottom & Jones. Other than Parker they're all 24 and under so if we're going to be any good it will be off the back of that group actually getting good. If not we'll have to turn over the list again anyway.

Put Florent and Lloyd on the wings.

Melican has been a huge disappointment and you know when you're a KPD and you get swung forward in the second quarter because you're stinking it up things aren't going well.

I can't ever see McCartin becoming a reliable shot at goal so maybe it's time he went back permanently. At least try him back for now.

So basically this is what I'd have:

Def: Rampe, Aliir, McCartin, O'Riordan, Stoddart, <insert medium defender>

Mids: Parker, Hewett, Dawson, Heeney, Mills, Rowbottom & Jones

Wings: Florent, Lloyd

Rucks: Someone taller than 200cm who is able to stop us losing the hitouts by 20 every week.

Forwards: Reid, Papley, Kennedy, Blakey, resting mid, tall forward from the reserves (McLean? Amartey?)

If Melican had problems with Geelongs forwards the Giants will carve him up. Not sure they would axe him after one really poor game. If they do McCartin down back and bring Menzel in.

Giants have Cameron and Finlayson who are quick with great tanks. Rampe and Aliir will be busy. They also have Himmelberg and Greene. COR and Mills will be tested.

Ronke should stay, if not for his missed shots he would have had a better day as he was our most lively forward. He did a great smother late in the game from memory and applies forward pressure.

Giants are missing their three best midfielders so we shouldn’t wiped off the park like the Cats game.

Day game with decent weather predicted it should be good to go.

Out: Stoddard, Fox, Clarke
In: Rose, Knoll, Hayward

Give Florent another week off. He hasn't been great the last month and a rest will do him well. If Hayward isn't fit yet bring in Menzel

Rose on the wing/defence

Knoll to share the ruck duties and can play as a forward pocket when required

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back