Recommitted Kieran Strachan [re-signed for 2 more years]

Remove this Banner Ad

Listed as 204cm, some watchers consider him the best performed ruck at SANFL level. Averaging 16 disposals and 36.5 hit outs in the SANFL .

As the market for rucks gets tight and multiple teams (Hawks, Bulldogs, Geelong) are likely to be in the market for a ruck his value may get bumped up a little. What's his worth?

The Rocks

Senior List
Nov 17, 2020
AFL Club
Adelaide
Listed as 204cm, some watchers consider him the best performed ruck at SANFL level. Averaging 16 disposals and 36.5 hit outs in the SANFL .

As the market for rucks gets tight and multiple teams (Hawks, Bulldogs, Geelong) are likely to be in the market for a ruck his value may get bumped up a little. What's his worth?
Interesting and Adelaide won't play two good ruckmen certainly with the Philly, Big Cheese Spread to take O'Briens rests. Certainly Strachan deserves and would want to be playing senior footy!

He would almost be worth a first round draft pick. I'd imagine a few teams interested so crows would want a first rounder or good young croweater!

I'd prefer to keep him but he does deserve to play

On RMX1941 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Jun 19, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Interesting and Adelaide won't play two good ruckmen certainly with the Philly, Big Cheese Spread to take O'Briens rests. Certainly Strachan deserves and would want to be playing senior footy!

He would almost be worth a first round draft pick. I'd imagine a few teams interested so crows would want a first rounder or good young croweater!

What?

If he isn't offered a contract on the senior list, using that 4th year rookie rule for next season to try and retain him, then he is an unrestricted free agent.

If he isn't offered that rookie year then he is a delisted free agent.

Long way to a first round pick there.

If we got a 1st rounder for him the team we are trading to should be shut down for disgusting list management.

Lucky to get a Future 3rd as a straight trade with whoever it is we trade with.

Might be used to send to the Dogs to get a Lipinski or someone on the outer there, with probably a fair bit more going from us to get it over the line.

If we got a 1st rounder for him the team we are trading to should be shut down for disgusting list management.

Lucky to get a Future 3rd as a straight trade with whoever it is we trade with.

Might be used to send to the Dogs to get a Lipinski or someone on the outer there, with probably a fair bit more going from us to get it over the line.
Future 2022 pick with a late 2021 pick coming back?
Lipinski is surely on the move, West and Wallis might look for opportunity but I don't think they're worth much so not as much scope for a 3rd club to get involved with those ones.

Aug 20, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Hammarby IF, Toronto Raptors
Has improved dramatically over the last year and did well against Gawn and Goldstein the last two weeks. Issue for the Crows is that him and ROB can't easily play together, which limits his potential games and salary with us. Would not be surprised to see him go cheaply and do well elsewhere.

Future 2022 pick with a late 2021 pick coming back?
Lipinski is surely on the move, West and Wallis might look for opportunity but I don't think they're worth much so not as much scope for a 3rd club to get involved with those ones.
I'd think that's as fair as we are going to get for both teams. Strachan and 22/2nd for Lipinski and whatever your pick in the 50-70's is. I think this year we hit the draft and our picks for next year are up for grabs for deals like this.

West and Wallis I don't think hold value to us, may hold value to other teams in terms of a 2nd/3rd or upgrade type deal.

Has improved dramatically over the last year and did well against Gawn and Goldstein the last two weeks. Issue for the Crows is that him and ROB can't easily play together, which limits his potential games and salary with us. Would not be surprised to see him go cheaply and do well elsewhere.
Sounds like a Witts scenario. Witts could only really play first ruck and certainly wasn't pushing Grundy out of that role. No way Strachan dislodges ROB

The Rocks

Senior List
Nov 17, 2020
AFL Club
Adelaide
Then quite simply, why would crows let him go? No they won't! Worth is only what one is willing to pay! So minimum second rounder crows need! Nothing less or why trade?

But I'll add to that. If a few clubs want him and Adelaide desire a second rounder, surely then a bidding war is possible to earn a first round pick. That is all I'm saying!

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Feb 5, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chicago Blackhawks Melb Renegades
We need a long term back up for Reeves.

Tim O'Brien heading back to South Australia? He takes speccies sometimes!

But in all seriousness, could the Crows use a player like TOB considering Lynch is gone, Frampton isn't very good, McAsey hasn't come on and Walker might be pushed out the door?

Then quite simply, why would crows let him go? No they won't! Worth is only what one is willing to pay! So minimum second rounder crows need! Nothing less or why trade?

But I'll add to that. If a few clubs want him and Adelaide desire a second rounder, surely then a bidding war is possible to earn a first round pick. That is all I'm saying!
He's OOC! That why he can leave if he gets a better offer! And the ruck market is tight so his value might be higher this year than in previous years anyway!

Mego Red

The Artist Formerly Known As Kristof
10k Posts
Oct 3, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane
If he isn't offered a contract on the senior list, using that 4th year rookie rule for next season to try and retain him, then he is an unrestricted free agent.

He's certainly getting another year with the Crows.

Mego Red

The Artist Formerly Known As Kristof
10k Posts
Oct 3, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane
We need a long term back up for Reeves.

Tim O'Brien heading back to South Australia? He takes speccies sometimes!

But in all seriousness, could the Crows use a player like TOB considering Lynch is gone, Frampton isn't very good, McAsey hasn't come on and Walker might be pushed out the door?
No.

Jul 26, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
West Coast

What did Hickey get traded for?

Steph Martin when he went to the Lions?

Why would a club pay a 1st or 2nd for an relatively untried ruck? Just fall out of contract, nominate a club and $$$ and he gets there.

If the Crows are using him as a backup then they can't expect a 1st and without some exposed form a 2nd is a stretch. Can he play forward?

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
What did Hickey get traded for?

Steph Martin when he went to the Lions?

Why would a club pay a 1st or 2nd for an relatively untried ruck? Just fall out of contract, nominate a club and $$$ and he gets there.

If the Crwos are using him as a backup then they can't expect a 1st and without some exposed form a 2nd is a stretch. Can he play forward?
A Crows fans would know better but they seem to suggest this is the issue. Both ROB and Strachan are really R1 types and can’t really play in the same team.

A Crows fans would know better but they seem to suggest this is the issue. Both ROB and Strachan are really R1 types and can’t really play in the same team.
If he was an R2 type we wouldn't be interested.
Strachan just seems to be ticking so many boxes for the Bulldogs.
- R1 rather than forward/ruck
- Mature body
- Performing well at lower level
- Starved for opportunity as he's stuck behind a genuine AFL standard R1

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide

I think we'll be offering him a deal as we'd just have to go out and find a viable back up ruck if he goes. It's more likely he's the one telling us he's off. ROB has years left, plays regardless of injury and our first choice players don't get overtaken from underneath until they're in their retirement year. We can play hardball to an extent with cap space an early PSD pick and a player we'd presumably be happy to keep. 30-36 sounds about the right range. Slide towards great and crap from there. Would be a good pick up I reckon at that price.

I wouldn't be surprised if we lose him this off-season for a pittance (if anything). Shown enough that he deserves a shot at a number 1 ruck gig, we are already committed to ROB, and in need of list spots.

Especially as drafting a developing ruck below ROB also needs to be a priority, regardless.

I wouldn't be surprised if we lose him this off-season for a pittance (if anything). Shown enough that he deserves a shot at a number 1 ruck gig, we are already committed to ROB, and in need of list spots.

Especially as drafting a developing ruck below ROB also needs to be a priority, regardless.
Would 2022 pick(s) get the job done? We're already sitting on a likely 2021 points deficit

Would 2022 pick(s) get the job done? We're already sitting on a likely 2021 points deficit

I assume so. I kind of expect that it's a take what you can get scenario with Strachan. Seeing he's out of contract and I think we're forced to promote him to the senior list. If so, we're kind of struggling for list spots this year with how heavily we've turned over our list in the last two years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back