Past Kieren Jack - retired 2019

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Whoa there. I'm not implying anything & your assuming everyti\hing.

Though it is pretty irresponsible of any AFL club to force a player to have to play for their $1.5M & 800K salary.
But let's go with your assumption on Hanners. Why didn't the Saints do their due diligence if we wrecked his body an...an....an....an...and why did they not rest him & start "rebuild his body" when they recruited him back in October?:think::think::think:

Really? I mean it is an AFL clubs responsibility to do what is best for the player and club, and how is playing Hannebery into the ground benefitting him or us? Surely giving Hannebery as much time off as necessary to get his body right would have helped us and him. It would have meant being without him for 8 months or so, but it would have been worth it as 2018 Hannebery was close to useless, and yet Longmire would not give him the re-coup time he needed to possibly fix his body and regain the form/ability we know he possesses.

Longmire did the same thing with Buddy last year. Buddy got injured after round 1, and instead of giving Buddy everything he needed to get better we just played him into the ground, Buddy playing with the injury all year and as a result by the time finals came around he could not contribute anything.

Really? I mean it is an AFL clubs responsibility to do what is best for the player and club, and how is playing Hannebery into the ground benefitting him or us? Surely giving Hannebery as much time off as necessary to get his body right would have helped us and him. It would have meant being without him for 8 months or so, but it would have been worth it as 2018 Hannebery was close to useless, and yet Longmire would not give him the re-coup time he needed to possibly fix his body and regain the form/ability we know he possesses.

Longmire did the same thing with Buddy last year. Buddy got injured after round 1, and instead of giving Buddy everything he needed to get better we just played him into the ground, Buddy playing with the injury all year and as a result by the time finals came around he could not contribute anything.

Look these guys know more than us

thats why we currently have over 1000 games of experience banged up not playing and have won 2 games this year

Oct 9, 2001
2, 4, 6, 8
AFL Club
Sydney

Your reinventing history. Buddy missed a block of 3 matches between Round 5 and 9 last year being rested to allow his heal injury picked up in Round 1 to recover so that he could play on and his training load was restricted in the process. As for why he couldn't contribute anything come the finals you forget to bring up that he picked up a groin injury late in our win over GWS in Round 22 which caused him to miss our Round 23 match against Hawthorn which was for a spot in the Top 4 and was a major reason he was restricted in the final.

So the club gave Buddy time off to get his injury right as well as reduced his training load only for him to injure himself late in the season with a new injury, hardly worked him into the ground as you described. Maybe I would take you more seriously if you didn't make stuff up or get stuff so wrong like you did above.

Also Longmire doesn't control the medical staff, they have final say if player has an injury and if not fit they don't play. If the medical staff passes a player fit then what else do you want the club to do? Call in a vet for a second opinion?

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Your reinventing history. Buddy missed a block of 3 matches between Round 5 and 9 last year being rested to allow his heal injury picked up in Round 1 to recover so that he could play on and his training load was restricted in the process. As for why he couldn't contribute anything come the finals you forget to bring up that he picked up a groin injury late in our win over GWS in Round 22 which caused him to miss our Round 23 match against Hawthorn which was for a spot in the Top 4 and was a major reason he was restricted in the final.

So the club gave Buddy time off to get his injury right as well as reduced his training load only for him to injure himself late in the season with a new injury, hardly worked him into the ground as you described. Maybe I would take you more seriously if you didn't make stuff up or get stuff so wrong like you did above.

Also Longmire doesn't control the medical staff, they have final say if player has an injury and if not fit they don't play. If the medical staff passes a player fit then what else do you want the club to do? Call in a vet for a second opinion?

Except Buddy really needed surgery, not rest, and clearly the rest was not enough as Longmire admitted after the bye that Buddy had not trained at all since round 1, indicating the "rest" he got in between rounds 5 and 9 were not enough.

Oct 9, 2001
2, 4, 6, 8
AFL Club
Sydney
Except Buddy really needed surgery, not rest, and clearly the rest was not enough as Longmire admitted after the bye that Buddy had not trained at all since round 1, indicating the "rest" he got in between rounds 5 and 9 were not enough.

"Really needed surgery" for the Heel Injury? No he didn't. You're suggesting as an untrained doctor that he should've had a medical procedure without even knowing if any such surgery a) would've helped or b) been any quicker in healing than playing though the injury after the rest as well as reducing his training load. The fact you think the rest he did have didn't work because he didn't train for the rest of the year is mind-blowing in of itself. Who are you to say that without the rest he would've played out the season or you know, played into the ground? You can't as you don't have the facts and didn't from the start.

He did however have surgery for the groin injury picked up in Round 22 in the off season, not the heal.

Journos are weak tossbags... why not bluntly ask Jose why KJ is in the team.

Maybe my comment was unfair. I am an unabashed KJ fan. Still like so many boxers, KJ has gone several bouts too many. In his case the length of the last contract extension has proved the same.

It is awful to watch him playing. He puts his hand up but his body cannot answer the call from his brain.

I agree that experienced voices are important on the field but their body must be able to deliver. KJ is long gone.

I wonder if KJ called his out this week. I really hope this is the case.

Brandon Jack's article smh
:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(
My brother Kieren's confronting head knock: concussion research hits home

Eventually, he said, “I'm still not feeling great … I didn’t sleep last night and my head's still throbbing.”
“What happened?” I asked, giving away that I hadn’t watched the game.
“I got a knock to the head.”
Turned out, after an early collision he spent most of the game on the sidelines until he had passed the concussion test and was cleared to return. As a result, he hadn’t done any training that week, the club doctors and physios were taking every precaution with him, including multiple CT scans. But a few days later he still couldn’t push himself in any form of training without feeling faint.
This had upset him because, as he said, it was “just a head knock”. He had feelings of despair and impatience that worsened when he wasn’t back playing after a week.

Shocked we havent heard anything on the retirement front yet.

Keep him in the team and give him a sendoff imo. What else is there to cheer this season?

Shocked we havent heard anything on the retirement front yet.

Keep him in the team and give him a sendoff imo. What else is there to cheer this season?

Surely, he wont get an extension.

Feb 5, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Although I've made a few comments in some of the threads, I think it now warrants a thread of it's own. I think he has been struggling both this year and last year and the captaincy is ill-fitting. McVeigh often cops more that his fair share of crap, but he is definitely an on-field leader and has the ability to take games by the scruff of the neck and really impact them. I can't remember Jack being the difference in a win and a loss, or putting on a inspiring display to lift the rest of the team. If we're going to continue with this co-captaincy nonsense (which I don't think we should do - McVeigh is the true captain and deserves to be the sole one), then we need to relinquish the responsibility from Jack and give it to someone else, probably Parker.

But there is one thing that frustrates me the most about Keiren Jack's game. More than his lack of leadership. More than his ability to be completely invisible. More than his lack of two-way running.

I'm sure you've noticed it too ...

KEIREN JACK DOES NOT HAVE A RIGHT FOOT.

Oscar Pistorius would have a higher chance of kicking a goal off his right foot. Hell, even Ricky Mott would have a higher chance of kicking a goal off his right foot. Yes, I went there. Ricky Mott!

Twice tonight in the first quarter, Jack had a chance to kick a goal to quell the Hawks' momentum. Twice he had a kick from 30m out directly in front that he failed to convert. Both times he was being pressured onto his right-hand side and simply refused to kick on his non-preferred foot. Instead he tried to kick dinky kicks off the outside of his foot - one that missed by a fair margin and one that would've missed, but didn't even make the distance.

The most frustrating thing is this is almost exactly what happened in the Game That Shall Not Be Named from last year. Twice, Jack had a chance to kick a goal to stem the flow and twice he was unable to kick on his right foot and instead tried to dance around his opponent onto his left. Twice, he was tackled and a goal went begging.

It's simply NOT GOOD ENOUGH for a professional footballer not to be able to kick a snap on their non-preferred foot!!!

Surely Keiren Jack is aware of this deficiency and should've been embarrassed by his efforts on that fateful day at the end of last season. Why wasn't his whole off-season dedicated to making sure he wasn't caught out by this massive flaw again? Is it simply arrogance? Are the coaches not onto this?

If I was the coach, I'd drop him to the 2s until he can prove that he can kick a goal from 30m on the run on his right foot. No ifs or buts.

Thoughts?

PS - And yes, I know that it might not have changed the end result, but missing easy goals saps the whole team's spirit and putting one of those through could've evened up that first quarter a lot.
PPS - And yes, I know there were plenty of other efforts from other players that deserve to cop some heat. Start a thread for them if you want.
PPPS - This doesn't make me "not a real" Swans fan.
PPPPS - I still have faith (probably naively) that we can win the premiership.
Its staggering that in 2015 he was starting to slow considerably, somehow still on our list.

Im amazed he hasnt dropped himself yet

This! Poor guy is so far gone he is playing in a different time zone. It is just awful watching a cooked to cinders KJ trying to raise a gallop.

SGBeach

Premiership Player
Jul 19, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
His biggest strength is that he's a competitor. He knows he's not up to standard, not at the level he was..
Im sure he'll retire at the end of his contract. The only reason he might stay on is if we've a list spot to fill and he is paid peanuts to play in the seconds and use his experience to help develop the young crew.
He's been fantastic for the club.. He's a premiership player and ex captain.

MC Bad Genius

No, not THAT MC Bad Genius. The other one.
Apr 15, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Its staggering that in 2015 he was starting to slow considerably, somehow still on our list.
For me, I thought he was still very much good enough in 2015, I just couldn't bottle up my frustration at his inability to kick on his right foot and how often it cost us dearly. His decline since that point has been pretty rapid though and it's really disappointing to see him out there not having the impact that he used to. I'm sure it burns him up inside too.

708474.jpg

Back