News King and Hope playing for Dogs in Exbition Game on Saturday

Remove this Banner Ad

Observations ...

The girls seem to spin a lot - you hardly ever see a senior male player spin his way out of trouble (don't know why?) and yet it happened a lot in last night's game. Entertaining to watch.

There seemed a big gap between the best and worst on-field. It'll get even more that way with the eight team competition.

The skill level was a bit up-and-down but how much was that with the players using a different sized ball? And being more fatigued with only 16 players per team on the field?

It was a very organised and strategic game. I don't know if it was the game style or the camera positions, but it seemed a lot easier to follow the game strategy than with a normal televised game of footy. (When teams were pressing, when and where teams were spreading to, etc, etc)

Stoked to read so many positive reactions here to the women's game. There so much to admire and enjoy and our side will be very much part of the Collingwood family. If we give them our support as footy fans this league and our team could turn onto something really enjoyable and be a very positive influence for young women and girls.

I'm the husband of a former derby girl. Can attest that, given the opportunity, women's contact sport can be hugely entertaining.

Also big props to the Doggies etc for all the work that has got the game to this point.

The smaller ball makes sense. Womens hands are not as big as men so the smaller ball short help with ball drop and general ball control once they adjust.

It was a very open game. That was probably due to a mix of reasons but part I assume was the 18 v 18. If it works with the ladies you know the AFL likes playing with the rules so they may think about it for the blokes.

The smaller ball makes sense. Womens hands are not as big as men so the smaller ball short help with ball drop and general ball control once they adjust.

It was a very open game. That was probably due to a mix of reasons but part I assume was the 18 v 18.

You mean 16 v 16?

If it works with the ladies you know the AFL likes playing with the rules so they may think about it for the blokes.

Our own Moana Hope takes every opportunity she can to say (paraphrasing) "Make everything the same as with the mens game and please don't **** with it."

By the way guys I highly recommend watching Australian Story from last week featuring Mo Hope if you haven't already, it's a good watch and Mo seems like a genuinely great person. It's available on iView.

I watched this today and highly recommend it. She has been through a fair bit to get where she is and seems like a gem of a person.

They all did well for a first outing on tv for the masses.

I think fewer terms work better with the available talent pool.
Personally it would be better, In my view, if it was state style based, that way everyone can barrack for their state.
Play each other once or twice then finals.

VIC, SA, WA, Aust 16, would equal 6 rounds then 4th team drops out, 2 v 3in prelim with winner meeting team 1 in GF. Total 8 weeks.

Over 1 million television viewers for that game. Massive, even accounting for the fact that it was a 'dry' football weekend.

Mo Hope was just interviewed on ABC TV. I notice that she had on her Pies polo this time. Thank God. No more Doggies colours for Mo.

Neil Mitchell interviewed Moana on 3aw this morning. Wouldn't surprise me if she is Australian Of The Year in the near future. A classy act.

Observations ...

The girls seem to spin a lot - you hardly ever see a senior male player spin his way out of trouble (don't know why?) and yet it happened a lot in last night's game. Entertaining to watch.

There seemed a big gap between the best and worst on-field. It'll get even more that way with the eight team competition.

The skill level was a bit up-and-down but how much was that with the players using a different sized ball? And being more fatigued with only 16 players per team on the field?

It was a very organised and strategic game. I don't know if it was the game style or the camera positions, but it seemed a lot easier to follow the game strategy than with a normal televised game of footy. (When teams were pressing, when and where teams were spreading to, etc, etc)

It'll be a big challenge for the competition to see how it copes when that talent gets spread across the eight teams. I reckon it will look a bit like the A-League in its first year when it was pretty low quality. Lets hope it builds the same way.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It'll be a big challenge for the competition to see how it copes when that talent gets spread across the eight teams. I reckon it will look a bit like the A-League in its first year when it was pretty low quality. Lets hope it builds the same way.

This is what I keep explaining to people when they say how much they enjoyed the game on Saturday night. The 8 team competition won't throw up games like that. It was a bit like dividing the AA 40 man squad into two, and having them play against each other!

This is what I keep explaining to people when they say how much they enjoyed the game on Saturday night. The 8 team competition won't throw up games like that. It was a bit like dividing the AA 40 man squad into two, and having them play against each other!

Very Good Way of Putting it Vicky Park

Remove this Banner Ad

Back