News Kirk to take up an unspecified coaching role with the Swans

Remove this Banner Ad

record against the top 8? whats that like?
We are the best damn side in the comp when we are on. We have been pretty damn successful for a decade now. 2 Flags, 4 GF's and still got some left in the tank for another push from what I can see.

And before you yet again re-hash the "and where are we now?/not there now are we?" crap... Yeah, we had a disappointing end to this year and didn't make the GF. So did all bar 2 other teams who are great teams and deserve to be there. However, that doesn't for a second diminish the fact that we fought through a whole range of s**t this year like the trade ban, the "war dances" and booing, injuries to key players at key moments etc etc... We still managed to develop some important young talent into important roles AND finish top 4.

You want to add back into the side a fully fit Buddy, Parker, Kizza & Reid and tell me again that North are better than us in the final? Pffft, please spare me. We have a strong list, a well run club and great people at the helm. Horse has given us multiple years of top 4 finishes, our best ever H&A season last year and 2013 & 2015 we succumb to injuries right at the wrong point of the season. Our success has been laid even under trying circumstances. We did very well to finish top 4 given these factors and we continue to press ahead next year. We may even lose a game or two (shock!)... That doesn't mean every other team in the comp is better than us.

I just don't know what pleasure posters get from coming on here and continuing to fill every thread up with this negative crap. The season is over, we aren't the Bombers or Carlton. We have an amazing chance at a flag or two the next few years. Heeney, Mills, Parker, Mitchell, Jones, Rohan, Rampe... Jeez louise we've got a shitton of future potential right there alone. Built around guys like JPK, Hanners and Smithy... I think we're going alright and should be talking our side up instead of down.

I just don't know what pleasure posters get from coming on here and continuing to fill every thread up with this negative crap. The season is over, we aren't the Bombers or Carlton. We have an amazing chance at a flag or two the next few years. Heeney, Mills, Parker, Mitchell, Jones, Rohan, Rampe... Jeez louise we've got a shitton of future potential right there alone. Built around guys like JPK, Hanners and Smithy... I think we're going alright and should be talking our side up instead of down.

We all support the club, and none of us derive pleasure from us losing. I just see it as a sign of how far we've come in the last few years that our expectations of the group are high. We all want the team to be the best it can be. I can never figure out where people get the idea that being negative = not supporting the club. But now we most certainly are "off topic".

We are the best damn side in the comp when we are on. We have been pretty damn successful for a decade now. 2 Flags, 4 GF's and still got some left in the tank for another push from what I can see.

And before you yet again re-hash the "and where are we now?/not there now are we?" crap... Yeah, we had a disappointing end to this year and didn't make the GF. So did all bar 2 other teams who are great teams and deserve to be there. However, that doesn't for a second diminish the fact that we fought through a whole range of s**t this year like the trade ban, the "war dances" and booing, injuries to key players at key moments etc etc... We still managed to develop some important young talent into important roles AND finish top 4.

You want to add back into the side a fully fit Buddy, Parker, Kizza & Reid and tell me again that North are better than us in the final? Pffft, please spare me. We have a strong list, a well run club and great people at the helm. Horse has given us multiple years of top 4 finishes, our best ever H&A season last year and 2013 & 2015 we succumb to injuries right at the wrong point of the season. Our success has been laid even under trying circumstances. We did very well to finish top 4 given these factors and we continue to press ahead next year. We may even lose a game or two (shock!)... That doesn't mean every other team in the comp is better than us.

Indeed, add in a KPD as well as a good ruck and our premiership chances are as good as they've ever been - Assuming the game plan is there.

We all support the club, and none of us derive pleasure from us losing. I just see it as a sign of how far we've come in the last few years that our expectations of the group are high. We all want the team to be the best it can be. I can never figure out where people get the idea that being negative = not supporting the club. But now we most certainly are "off topic".
Sorry - Don't mean to drag the thread off topic. Just wanted to say I don't think that being negative isn't supporting the club. I know posters like Swansrule100 love this club - They wouldn't be here otherwise. I do respect their opinion and understand their frustrations. I just get frustrated having to read such negative comments over and over and over again thread after thread. You'd think the club is at the end of it's tether and a basket case when in actual fact we're proven to be far from it. A bit of perspective and less "the sky is falling" is all I was calling for.

Fyfe had some good things to say about Kirk and Stone on the AFL 360 Brownlow episode.

Quite general comments, but as close to empirical data on Kirk's assistant role as we'll get.

Is that an oxymoron?

Fyfe had some good things to say about Kirk and Stone on the AFL 360 Brownlow episode.

Quite general comments, but as close to empirical data on Kirk's assistant role as we'll get.

Is that an oxymoron?

Fyfe gave Kirk a huge rap at the Brownlows last night.

If Fyfe reckoned Kirky made him a better player and person, It is seal of approval in my book

Things didn't gel this year in a few areas, for a variety of reasons..and even so, we were a few accurate kicks away from beating Freo and North in the finals.

I'm very confident about the next 5 years

I can't believe the negativity in this thread. I was PUMPED to hear that Kirk was coming back to the fold. There is no greater skill to possess than leadership and the guy has it in spades. The story goes that when they asked the playing group who considered themselves leaders, he put himself up there even though he wasn't in the senior side at the time! Then obviously his leadership when he came into the seniors was unquestionable.

But apart from that, he was an absolute master of knowing his strengths and weaknesses and playing accordingly. I know I'm looking through rose-coloured glasses, but even though he was never a strong kick, I never remember getting frustrated at him for bombing it aimlessly or turning it over straight to an opposition player like I get with the current team. If he's able to teach a few of our players self-awareness and how to play within their limitations, it could reap massive rewards!

Also, on a side note, why are people lamenting the Swans' recent promote from within mentality? I'm well aware of (and am often highly critical of) our tactical weaknesses, but it's hard to argue with results. Both our last head coach appointments have lead to a premiership and another Grand Final appearance and you can hardly say that 2012 was because we had an incredible team! Whatever his recent failings, give Horse some credit!!!

But I digress ...

I'm excited by the news of Kirk coming back to Sydney and think he'll prove to be a very valuable acquisition to our coaching staff.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can't believe the negativity in this thread. I was PUMPED to hear that Kirk was coming back to the fold. There is no greater skill to possess than leadership and the guy has it in spades. The story goes that when they asked the playing group who considered themselves leaders, he put himself up there even though he wasn't in the senior side at the time! Then obviously his leadership when he came into the seniors was unquestionable.

But apart from that, he was an absolute master of knowing his strengths and weaknesses and playing accordingly. I know I'm looking through rose-coloured glasses, but even though he was never a strong kick, I never remember getting frustrated at him for bombing it aimlessly or turning it over straight to an opposition player like I get with the current team. If he's able to teach a few of our players self-awareness and how to play within their limitations, it could reap massive rewards!

Also, on a side note, why are people lamenting the Swans' recent promote from within mentality? I'm well aware of (and am often highly critical of) our tactical weaknesses, but it's hard to argue with results. Both our last head coach appointments have lead to a premiership and another Grand Final appearance and you can hardly say that 2012 was because we had an incredible team! Whatever his recent failings, give Horse some credit!!!

But I digress ...

I'm excited by the news of Kirk coming back to Sydney and think he'll prove to be a very valuable acquisition to our coaching staff.

For me, the promote from within issue isn't in regard to head coaches (to me, that makes sense. They know the list intimately.)

It's grabbing ex-players and putting them straight in as assistants, meaning they never experience a different approach.

At least Kirk has been elsewhere.

At least Kirk has been elsewhere.
The issue others have with this, is him learning from a guy who learned from Kirk's old coach, to go to a team with a coach who learned from Kirk's old coach

But I digress ...

Me too. Kirkie is an out and out leader of the highest order. He has always thought outside the square, his loyalty to the Club is legendary and his indomitable will to extract the most out of ability was without question. Freo is not happy that he is going. We should be ecstatic. Our midfield processes have failed against Hawthorn, I am really looking forward to what Kirkie will bring to the table. Together with Tom Harley we might be able to produce a Captain that is able to lead.
As an aside, for those who suggest that we have taken what has fallen from the table. Ye of little faith. You really think that we didn't engineer this? The Club that targetted Tippett and found a way to snare Buddy? We created a new highway from Freo to Sydney to make this happen. That's my take on it and I reckon I might be closer to the truth of it than thinking that he sauntered in and they fell over themselves offering him a job. Give us a break.

Personally I would be happy if he would teach them to kick......hang on a second :p

Kirk is probably amongst the best people to teach them to kick actually. It never came naturally to him, he had to learn to work within his limits. Still maintain he was one of our most effective kicks, purely because he knew how to pick his targets. Too many of our players blast away with low-percentage passes.

Kirk is probably amongst the best people to teach them to kick actually. It never came naturally to him, he had to learn to work within his limits. Still maintain he was one of our most effective kicks, purely because he knew how to pick his targets. Too many of our players blast away with low-percentage passes.
Yep. If ever there was a player who knew his limitations it was Kirk. While ugly, his kicks generally found a target. Rarely wasted a possession.

Agree we need fresh ideas. Kirk played under Roos and coached under Lyon, nothing new to be gained.
Narrow point of view considering he was a really good midfielder for us, great leader and had an excellent football brain that's been developed by Lyon.

Lets see, Ben Matthews or Brett Kirk as midfield coach.

Kirk in charge of the forward line. Playfair in charge of the backline. I dont know how i feel about this. Its just....playfair....

West Coast is not a great team they just benefited from a easy draw and the rest of the competition dropping off they lost the GF by a similar margin to what we did.

I just didn't like what i saw this year even when we were at full strength.

West Coast is not a great team they just benefited from a easy draw and the rest of the competition dropping off they lost the GF by a similar margin to what we did.

I just didn't like what i saw this year even when we were at full strength.

West coast are better than us

Remove this Banner Ad

Back