austinthedog

Senior List
Jul 5, 2005
up north
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
bombers
Just after advice on recovery from a knee arthriscope.

Had it done last week (Wed) done nothing on it as yet. Anyone been through it? Have an appointment with the surgeon this week who should give me some tips. General time frame given is 6-8weeks till up and running.

Its going to kill me, so any tips on how to keep fit would be great, i reckon i have put on a kgs already!!

cheers

Had it done last week (Wed) done nothing on it as yet. Anyone been through it? Have an appointment with the surgeon this week who should give me some tips. General time frame given is 6-8weeks till up and running.

Its going to kill me, so any tips on how to keep fit would be great, i reckon i have put on a kgs already!!

cheers

go and see a physio... if your in melbourne i can recommend a really good one with some good credentials... and they will give you a program. It will be the best $30-$50 odd you spend and the program will give you a good guide in terms of not doing too much etc... additionally if they kgs stack on just watch the food... i had a knee and shoulder done (3 months apart) and that is something I didnt do!

have had a couple done, though about 10 years apart. the 1st one i was held back until about 6 weeks had passed before i was galloping about, but the 2nd i was up and about a lot quicker. best to follow your surgeons advice, and take some time to rest properly. the surgery these days is a lot more precise, and less invasive, so recovery time is a lot less than what it was.

get some lightish weights, and do a constant set of arm curls hehehhee nah, that sucks, just be careful of what you eat.

get to a physio asap! Surgeon will be good with advice about what you cant do, but wont know what exercises to give you. Your knee doesnt need any rest at all, it just needs to gradually increase what you are doing. You will probably begin wiht simple Range of motion exercises and work up to strengthening and eventually running. Its a pretty important time the next few weeks as if you dont do the right thing your knee is likely to never fully recover.

cheers

You'll find it improves rapidly after about 2 weeks depending on what you had done.

I have had a couple. I had some cartledge removed which only kept me out for a couple of weeks, then I had a ligament repaired and it took about 4-6.

But then I had one on my ankle 1 year back to remove swelling and a spur and it still feels stiff.

It's hard to keep active after a knee op until it starts feeling good.

Had an arthroscope a couple of years ago at The Avenue - surgeon said keep of it for a week, and I could start light jogging after 2-3 and back into footy after 4.

Once I had the damaged cartlidge removed it was like having a new knee and there has been no drama since I had it done.

Had an arthroscope a couple of years ago at The Avenue - surgeon said keep of it for a week, and I could start light jogging after 2-3 and back into footy after 4.

Once I had the damaged cartlidge removed it was like having a new knee and there has been no drama since I had it done.

David Young?

How long is the recovery time for an ankle arthricrothy. just to clean out scar tissue and all the crap in there?

How long is the recovery time for an ankle arthricrothy. just to clean out scar tissue and all the crap in there?

I had one last march, to remove a spur and swelling. I am still very stiff in the joint.

In saying that I battled cancer in the mean time which halted my recovery.

They reckon after an ankle reco your ankle could be left very stiff for a very long time.

Hmmm. That kinda defeats the purpose of it then?

**** I hate injuries. Especially this one!

You're better off seeing if it heals up.

Like the above post said, ankles are one of the better injuries to have.

The ligaments seem to repair well.

Try some icing and then some peroneal strengthening.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ankle op worked out very well - they screwed the tendons back onto the bone (or whatever they do) and gave the area a general clean up. Think I was in cast for 8 weeks or so - I reckon the recovery time all up would be 3 months before you could play footy again, presuming you do all the physio and the op goes very well.

A very good surgeon will cut down recovery times quite significantly.

k had my surgery. Had cartlidgetaken out, scar tissue taken out and ligaments stretched and reattched. i have to lay in bed for a week!!! cast for a month, moon boot for god know show long.

didaka. I spoke to the nurse about why it gets stiff, she said its generally because people dont keep their leg elevated above their heart for the first week long enough.

anyway looks like my footy seasons off to a s**t start!!!:mad:

I've had two on the same knee. First one I probably didn't walk on it for 3-4 weeks. Second one was January 30 of this year and I was partly walking THAT day and fully walking by January 31st:thumbsu: I saw the doc 2 weeks later and he was amazed that I was walking and when I told him I was almost fully walking that day you could of knocked him over with a feather. They had to take the whole meniscus out for the second one too. The hole they used to take it out got infected but it cleared in a week or so:)

Dislocated my knee 2 years ago, couldnt get operated on until I stopped growing (im 18 now)

Had a Lateral Release and removal of floating Cartilage on Friday (3 days ago)

Right now I can walk with only a slight limp. I have been icing 30mins on/off with a compression bandage in between. I might go water walking at the gym tonight as well.

The knee's mobility and strength is still ok, I just have to manage the swelling. ATM I think it could be a 4 week turnaround. Im a uni student so I basically can put a lot of time into my recovery.

4 Days = Lite Walking/Take off runs. Lite jumping and balance exercise.
5 Days = Water Walking. Swelling has gone right down. Playing some basketball in the backyard, I think I can start strength training late next week.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back