Draft Watcher Knightmare 2020 Draft Almanac

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone coming back from injury or not regularly selected last year you think may earn regular games?

McKenzie isn't a lock, but showed enough signs where I'd be comfortable selecting him.

Of Port's three picks, I think Bergman is going to surprise, but they can all play this year. Georgiades really surprised me. I didn't expect him with the year off to be nearly as advanced as he is. Both Marsh Series games surprised me.

Haven't seen enough of him against good opposition. Not an early pick yet. Performance this year with determine his draft position.

hartlett is in ripping form, but will fly under the radar as his defensive work won’t be noticed by casual observers.

Dixon after only playing 9 games looks more dangerous than ever. He was very good in the marsh series

Wines and watts will come into the side in a month and everyone will be watching them. They are both very necessary to our 22 this year.

Marshall is the obvious choice for a guy to cement his spot. Still only 21, and showed some special stuff this preseason. He should play 22 games unless Hinkley reverts to his Robbie gray FF Sam Gray CHF bullshit which is a least half impossible now.

Thought I read it was in Tasmania for a moment. Long day evidently.

In saying that though for practice matches I only watch tv/stream.

I'm all about taking in all the AFL practice matches this time of year, finding it the most interesting football this time of year.

its overrated

people over analysis big time

hartlett is in ripping form, but will fly under the radar as his defensive work won’t be noticed by casual observers.

Dixon after only playing 9 games looks more dangerous than ever. He was very good in the marsh series

Wines and watts will come into the side in a month and everyone will be watching them. They are both very necessary to our 22 this year.

Marshall is the obvious choice for a guy to cement his spot. Still only 21, and showed some special stuff this preseason. He should play 22 games unless Hinkley reverts to his Robbie gray FF Sam Gray CHF bullshit which is a least half impossible now.

Dixon looked good, really good actually, but got hurt again in was it Marsh 2? My concern with him is always whether he'll play more than 10-15 games.

Hartlett's body I also don't trust all that much. If he can last the season though agree he's a plus.

Wines is one where he'll come back and be roughly the same player. Watts was good before injury.

McKenzie if used I like. Good in the SANFL last year, good in his appearance at the end of the season. Perhaps I like him more than I should, but I enjoyed seeing him taking the kickouts in Marsh 1. Having that kick, I think he earns more than just the 1 game from last year and exceeds expectation. Albeit it's unclear whether he's decisive best 22, feeling on that fringe.

its overrated

people over analysis big time

I never miss a preseason game. I like seeing how the new guys integrate, who's set to break out, those coming back from injury. Perhaps its that fantasy football player in me. But it's always been my favourite time of the AFL season and that one time I can't bare to miss a game.

With all the views that Marsh Series or equivalent is overrated, that makes me immediately think that is is underrated because there is lots of valuable information to learn. It's just deciphering what information is useful and what is an outlier performance, as in any small sample size of games.

Dixon looked good, really good actually, but got hurt again in was it Marsh 2? My concern with him is always whether he'll play more than 10-15 games.

Hartlett's body I also don't trust all that much. If he can last the season though agree he's a plus.

Wines is one where he'll come back and be roughly the same player. Watts was good before injury.

McKenzie if used I like. Good in the SANFL last year, good in his appearance at the end of the season. Perhaps I like him more than I should, but I enjoyed seeing him taking the kickouts in Marsh 1. Having that kick, I think he earns more than just the 1 game from last year and exceeds expectation. Albeit it's unclear whether he's decisive best 22, feeling on that fringe.

I never miss a preseason game. I like seeing how the new guys integrate, who's set to break out, those coming back from injury. Perhaps its that fantasy football player in me. But it's always been my favourite time of the AFL season and that one time I can't bare to miss a game.

With all the views that Marsh Series or equivalent is overrated, that makes me immediately think that is is underrated because there is lots of valuable information to learn. It's just deciphering what information is useful and what is an outlier performance, as in any small sample size of games.

should have guessed

Gday Knightmare or anyone else who reads this.
Can you please give me your thought on Tom De Koning from Carlton & Callum Coleman Jones from Richmond both look promising ruck / Fwds
Thanks in advance

Can you please give me your thought on Tom De Koning from Carlton & Callum Coleman Jones from Richmond both look promising ruck / Fwds
Thanks in advance
I'm no expert, but thought CCJ looked pretty good against us on the weekend.

Thanks in advance

Coleman-Jones is good and probably starts the season following a good Marsh Series. Not sure how long he holds his spot once Nankervis returns. Nankervis while he hasn't done a lot of it played some forward as a junior, but Coleman-Jones can at least make Nankervis sweat and work to earn back his position behind Soldo who appears the number one ruck at this time. Coleman-Jones if playing is a relieving ruck and he's good in that role because he can ruck, but forward of centre he's a contested marking presence.

De Koning probably plays at some point but probably not right away. He'll contend most likely for a relieving ruck role as he has the scope both forward and through the ruck, though if Kreuzer gets hurt he could push Pittonet as a possible ruck injury replacement, though Pittonet I sense is slightly ahead at this stage as the more seasoned body if Kreuzer was to miss time.

I'm assuming this is a fantasy football slanted question Given Coleman-Jones' unclear job security and De Koning probably not best 22 this year, I don't have either at this stage.

KM have you been surprised or disappointed by anything you've seen in the Marsh Cup?

On SM-G960W using BigFooty.com mobile app

I lot of the players I mentioned in the piece surprised me with their progress.

On a team level, Geelong's lack of competitiveness was disappointing. They were last years best side based on percentage during the H+A season, so they should be a lot better than that when the real stuff starts, but the signs were concerning nonetheless and suggest a drop with the question being to what extent. Melbourne on the other hand impressed and looked better than expected. Petracca/Viney look terrific. Tomlinson and Langdon fit well. Melbourne played like they can contend for a top-8 position which I didn't expect before the series.

Those you highlighted are projected based on junior performance to be top-10 on list quality, and fairly convincingly, with Ballenden the only one I feel to any extent I'm speculating on. None of them have played senior games. I'd be taking all those guys ahead of LDU and Scott.

Who of those I listed as core components in my piece do you rate LDU and/or Scott ahead of? I suspect that would be a more telling indicator as to whether either/or/both belong in that conversation and be a more worthwhile starting point in a discussion into their standing. I can't say I'd be giving up a first round pick for either at this stage.

Why I talk about LDU/Scott from the context of they haven't done anything at AFL level is because by contrast to those you highlighted is because they have played at AFL level and haven't to this point played to a standard where I can say with any degree of confidence they'll be top-10 on list players. My feel is neither will at this point for the reasons expressed in my prior post.

Was looking forward to seeing who Pykey rates LDU and Scott ahead of from your list KM. Did he ever provide any names?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Hi KM,

Of this years draft, who do you think are the best wingmen (or those who could be projected to play wing in the future)?

Thanks mate

There are lots who can play outside and inside, and a lot of them are versatile multi-positional types which is more the modern way the role is played. Elijah Hollands (a damaging mid/fwd), Luke Edwards (Adel F/S outside leaning mid who can also rebound from def), Tanner Bruhn (outside leaning mid who also plays forward), Jack Ginnivan (classy balanced forward/mid), Errol Gulden (Syd Acad outside mid who can also play forward).

These days there are few real pure wings, where it's more you'll have guys rotating hf/wing than just stick permanently to playing wing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was looking forward to seeing who Pykey rates LDU and Scott ahead of from your list KM. Did he ever provide any names?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I'm still waiting on that list.

1 Marsh Series game for Scott, none to LDU.

Curtis Taylor looks nice for North Melbourne and Xerri looks like a possible Goldstein successor and might play early season until Ben Brown returns. They're two from outside those from North I mentioned in my piece I would lean towards taking ahead of Scott and LDU. Again though, they're two others I'm not yet willing to jump the gun on prematurely and call top-10 on list level talents. But maybe they can and maybe at seasons end they start receiving acknowledgement among North's better young players.

Knightmare.

Does this year's discussion still happen or is it another victim of COVID-19 paranoia?

Are you allowed to watch NAB League games?

Haven't heard anything. No official announcements. Can't say I'm privy to any internal planning.

Will the NAB League go down the AFL direction and keep it closed door? That could be a solution if all games are streamed on YouTube again this year - unclear whether media access would be allowed. Will the season length be modified? I'd suggest as the virus spreads (particularly during the flu season I suspect things get worse) we might see the season shortened and then some kind of finals series and U18 Champs would be prioritised. They're my educated guesses at this point.

Haven't heard anything. No official announcements. Can't say I'm privy to any internal planning.

Will the NAB League go down the AFL direction and keep it closed door? That could be a solution if all games are streamed on YouTube again this year - unclear whether media access would be allowed. Will the season length be modified? I'd suggest as the virus spreads (particularly during the flu season I suspect things get worse) we might see the season shortened and then some kind of finals series and U18 Champs would be prioritised. They're my educated guesses at this point.
Could you get a media pass via ESPN? (I'm guessing they'd have that)

GWV Rebels social media release

Attendance at games is restricted to players, officials, umpires and immediate family members. Please limit the amount of family and friends coming to watch the games. Ideally only parents and dependant siblings should attend. Please discourage all other family members and friends from attending.
- Only players, officials and umpires are to enter the playing arena at any time including quarter breaks.
- Only players, officials and umpires are allowed into the changerooms.
- When at the game look to spread yourself out so that there is at least a 2m gap from other people.
- Where there are multiple games involved at the same venue please leave immediately after your game.
- If you have any symptoms of a cold or a cough, please do not attend the game.
- A precautionary perimeter between attendees and the players and team staff is encouraged.
- Players and staff to continue sanitary practices at all games during this time to minimise the chance of exposure.
- Communal use of water bottles should be avoided at all times. In the short term it would be prudent to have all players be in possession of their own drink bottle.
- If manual therapies are deemed an absolute necessity, additional time per player should be allocated to complete cleaning with appropriate surface disinfectant of all equipment.
We encourage all future club functions to be reviewed and look to be rescheduled so to protect all players and staff.
GWV REBELS FUNCTIONS THIS SUNDAY
GWV REBELS U16 BOYS PARENTS MONING TEA – CANCELLED
GWV REBELS NAB LEAGUE BOYS PARENTS PRESENTATION – CANCELLED
GWV REBELS NAB LEAGUE BOYS JUMPER PRESENTATION- CANCELLED
We ask you to adhere to these protocols to ensure that we can continue to run the competition into the future. This week will provide a litmus test on whether this will be a possibility.
We will continue to provide clubs with protocols to assist with the health and safety of players, clubs and supporters.
The situation is fluid and further protocols will reflect this.

WAFL games were cancelled this week.

State Academy Training was also cancelled at the directive of the AFL.

NAB League made an official announcement today.

Recruiters are allowed, just gotta bring a chair, notepad and binoculars and no questions asked haha
Going to be a few extra people dining in and enjoying a cold ale or two at the North Ballarat Sports Club Bistro and Bar on NAB League game days I reckon...

Better book early....;)

Some good performances today out at RAMS. Knights v Chargers both sides close to full strength w Knights coming out on top by around 4 goals.Chargers without Phillips and Reef McInnes.. Jamarra UH good again, however his kicking was not a bright spot. Cox for Knights strong forward and back....played on Jamarra at times and that was a great dual. Cox defence was very good and ground coverage strong as well.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back