Draft Watcher Knightmare 2020 Draft Almanac

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Knightmare -always look forward to your thoughts as we approach the draft.
I seem to remember an article on Ollie Lord a couple of months ago, but haven't heard him mentioned since then. I see on a couple of older sites that he was pencilled in as a likely full forward for Vic Metro if the series had gone ahead.
Any thoughts on his place in the draft?

Hi Knightmare -always look forward to your thoughts as we approach the draft.
I seem to remember an article on Ollie Lord a couple of months ago, but haven't heard him mentioned since then. I see on a couple of older sites that he was pencilled in as a likely full forward for Vic Metro if the series had gone ahead.
Any thoughts on his place in the draft?

I'm not sure I would have pencilled Lord in at full forward necessarily and I can't say I have him on or near my draft board at this point. I'm really not sure what he was doing on anyone's draft board before the season honestly unless all they've seen of him is for VicM v QLD last year which was probably his better performance last year.

He's very much a developing player and still very early stages in his development. He's athletic but from 5 games last year only averaged 5 disposals, 1 mark (rounded up) and 0.4 goals per game. Not a great score card on a very strong Sandringham side.

He's someone who very much in my view needed to impress this year and show rapid improvement to be someone I'd categorise as draftable. Maybe that would have happened, but without games it's only speculation and for me he hasn't done enough to be someone I'd draft this year.

That's by no means to suggest clubs aren't interested. He may well be on the radar later in the draft or as a rookie. He has earned an invite to the National Combine as one of the 96 invited which suggests that clubs at least want to see him test. But I've got a long list of KPPs and key forwards more specifically ahead of him on performance on my draft board at least.

I'm not sure I would have pencilled Lord in at full forward necessarily and I can't say I have him on or near my draft board at this point. I'm really not sure what he was doing on anyone's draft board before the season honestly unless all they've seen of him is for VicM v QLD last year which was probably his better performance last year.

He's very much a developing player and still very early stages in his development. He's athletic but from 5 games last year only averaged 5 disposals, 1 mark (rounded up) and 0.4 goals per game. Not a great score card on a very strong Sandringham side.

He's someone who very much in my view needed to impress this year and show rapid improvement to be someone I'd categorise as draftable. Maybe that would have happened, but without games it's only speculation and for me he hasn't done enough to be someone I'd draft this year.

That's by no means to suggest clubs aren't interested. He may well be on the radar later in the draft or as a rookie. He has earned an invite to the National Combine as one of the 96 invited which suggests that clubs at least want to see him test. But I've got a long list of KPPs and key forwards more specifically ahead of him on performance on my draft board at least.
👍

Really warming towards phillips early for hawks after seeing what serong has been able to achieve this year as a smaller mid . How would you compare phillips game to serong and who would you prefer?

I'm taking Phillips ahead of Serong. His play was on parr with Rowell during the NAB League finals series last year. Not that Phillips is necessarily going to be Rowell, but that's how well he played. He'll be your high production inside mid, prolific ball winner and accumulator but has a serious burst of acceleration and covers a lot of ground. He's the best mid in this draft and easily the most advanced.

To compare to Rowell, Phillips is more explosive but not as polished or complete.

Compared to Serong, Phillips is more explosive and higher production and higher motor but with less capabilities fwd of centre (which Serong has the upside to do more in future seasons).

Let Phillips play as prominent of a midfield role and he can do as much as Serong in year 1. Maybe more.

What's really helping Serong is role - and he's to his credit doing create as a primary ball winner and has taken a big step up since last season. Sam Flanders for Gold Coast if getting the same midfield minutes could be doing what Serong is, in theory, with both on parr last year as mids on the same team, if not a more influential player. And Green in the same role in my view would be doing more but isn't getting those opportunities unfortunately for him.

I'm taking Phillips ahead of Serong. His play was on parr with Rowell during the NAB League finals series last year. Not that Phillips is necessarily going to be Rowell, but that's how well he played. He'll be your high production inside mid, prolific ball winner and accumulator but has a serious burst of acceleration and covers a lot of ground. He's the best mid in this draft and easily the most advanced.

To compare to Rowell, Phillips is more explosive but not as polished or complete.

Compared to Serong, Phillips is more explosive and higher production and higher motor but with less capabilities fwd of centre (which Serong has the upside to do more in future seasons).

Let Phillips play as prominent of a midfield role and he can do as much as Serong in year 1. Maybe more.

What's really helping Serong is role - and he's to his credit doing create as a primary ball winner and has taken a big step up since last season. Sam Flanders for Gold Coast if getting the same midfield minutes could be doing what Serong is, in theory, with both on parr last year as mids on the same team, if not a more influential player. And Green in the same role in my view would be doing more but isn't getting those opportunities unfortunately for him.

Yes Serong is getting opportunities others might not have got yet but I'm not sure he would be doing as well at any other team , what has set him apart this year has been the young pup / old dog synergy between him and Mundy. They are 60% of our total clearance game regardless of how Fyfe conscious the commentators are and working as well together as any duo in the comp

Could see him slipping back a bit next year if Mundy retires

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yes Serong is getting opportunities others might not have got yet but I'm not sure he would be doing as well at any other team , what has set him apart this year has been the young pup / old dog synergy between him and Mundy. They are 60% of our total clearance game regardless of how Fyfe conscious the commentators are and working as well together as any duo in the comp

Could see him slipping back a bit next year if Mundy retires

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Interesting comment around Mundy. That will be an interesting narrative to track.

G'day KM, just wondering where you rank Eddie Ford? Have seen his name pop up here and there within the first/second round, was wondering whereabouts clubs would rank him.

Ford I have inside my top-40. I view him as a second round choice at this stage, and early second is possible. He has some high flying capabilities. Some are talking about Oliver Henry as an early pick, but I'm viewing Ford as something reasonably similar as another of those athletic medium marking types who can play either end. And like Henry, although I've never seen Ford in defence as far as I can recall, I'd be utilising him in defence to maximise his output as he has the attributes and game to make that switch.

Interesting comment around Mundy. That will be an interesting narrative to track.

Ford I have inside my top-40. I view him as a second round choice at this stage, and early second is possible. He has some high flying capabilities. Some are talking about Oliver Henry as an early pick, but I'm viewing Ford as something reasonably similar as another of those athletic medium marking types who can play either end. And like Henry, although I've never seen Ford in defence as far as I can recall, I'd be utilising him in defence to maximise his output as he has the attributes and game to make that switch.
You don’t see Ford going through the midfield?

The plan was for Ford to spend more time playing on ball at Western this year. And Ford himself has said he wants to model his game on Nat Fyfe.

The plan was for Ford to spend more time playing on ball at Western this year. And Ford himself has said he wants to model his game on Nat Fyfe.

We can all have aspirations. I'd have wanted to have seen Ford have more of an impact through the midfield this year than he did last year before talking about him as a mid as his best spot. And maybe he would have, but that's speculative and not how I see him off 2019 play. It was his aerial stuff in 2019 that caught my attention and impressed me.

I saw an article yesterday saying he asked Fremantle recruiters for nat fyfe vision to study, not bad initiative from a kid.

Love Ford more everytime I go back and watch more of him, that futures game is an indication of what he can do when given a bit of freedom by his coaches and when he's placed in a good quality side, if he played for a team like Sandringham, Oakleigh or Eastern who get the ball forward more and play more offensive than Western I'd be willing to bet the consensus would be he's a better prospect than Perkins

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Love Ford more everytime I go back and watch more of him, that futures game is an indication of what he can do when given a bit of freedom by his coaches and when he's placed in a good quality side, if he played for a team like Sandringham, Oakleigh or Eastern who get the ball forward more and play more offensive than Western I'd be willing to bet the consensus would be he's a better prospect than Perkins

Knightmare - thanks for all your work - does Oliver Henry have midfield potential? He seems to be a consensus top 20 pick with Callum tworney even having him as high as 7 -which seems high for a mid sized marking fwd/def.

Knightmare - thanks for all your work - does Oliver Henry have midfield potential? He seems to be a consensus top 20 pick with Callum tworney even having him as high as 7 -which seems high for a mid sized marking fwd/def.

I haven't seen the ball winning capabilities from Henry to think midfield potential.

He's a medium marking def/fwd for mine, and more ideally suited in defence as I'm not seeing AFL grade front half talent. Others may disagree though as I have him lower than I've seen him placed on other boards (around 30 in my extended power rankings).

Where do you see Henry Walsh taken?

Henry is very speculative but he's one recruiters even last year kept wanting to see. He's a one moment a game kind of guy who is invisible the rest of the game.

I see a club taking him, but most likely late draft.

Henry is very speculative but he's one recruiters even last year kept wanting to see. He's a one moment a game kind of guy who is invisible the rest of the game.

I see a club taking him, but most likely late draft.
What holds him back from doing more? Is it physical attributes, application, maybe he just doesn't have the ability?

Good evening Knightmare

Is there a way the Bulldogs swap pick 10 for maybe 20 and 30 etc

or offer pick 10 and first pick next year for an earlier pic in front off ugle-haggan

I haven't seen the ball winning capabilities from Henry to think midfield potential.

He's a medium marking def/fwd for mine, and more ideally suited in defence as I'm not seeing AFL grade front half talent. Others may disagree though as I have him lower than I've seen him placed on other boards (around 30 in my extended power rankings).
What about Archie Perkins, whilst he can be very damaging forward I think he has the potential to play midfield with more development....I have him firmly in 1st round contention?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back