Draft Watcher Knightmare 2020 Draft Almanac

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have no problem paying for Alex Davies if that is the way it goes.

I think the AFL screwed up by allowing us to future trade the pick 11, but that's on the AFL, not our club, we worked within the rules set out.

You can't then retrospectively punish us because we played within the rules set out by the AFL. Get to the end of the year and reassess, we only won 3 games last year and that was in the first 4 rounds, we have the exact same W/L record now, so let's see how we handle the remaining 13 rounds before declaring us fixed.
As a Swans fan, yes you bloody well can be retroactively punished!

On SM-G9600 using BigFooty.com mobile app

So Sydney need a midfielder who is as good or ideally better than Rowell for pick 2 or pick 3. Once in a generation type in and under clearance player would be ideal.
Smith was a great get for the Dogs.

Will Phillips is the closest in this draft. He's just not as tall or strong on that level.

He's ready and can pack an immediate punch. Round 1 ready. Don't even need to see him this year to know that. He was playing Rowell/Anderson level footy during the finals series last year as an underager.

So Sydney need a midfielder who is as good or ideally better than Rowell for pick 2 or pick 3. Once in a generation type in and under clearance player would be ideal.

Campbell and Gulden should be the second and third selections. It's just a question of who is that first taken by the club.

Will Phillips, Finlay Macrae, Elijah Hollands and Tanner Bruhn would be among those on my shortlist for Sydney.

Smith was a great get for the Dogs.

Will Phillips is the closest in this draft. He's just not as tall or strong on that level.

He's ready and can pack an immediate punch. Round 1 ready. Don't even need to see him this year to know that. He was playing Rowell/Anderson level footy during the finals series last year as an underager.
At this rate, seems Adelaide are a lock for Pick 1, with Sydney, North (either their own of Melbourne's) and Freo having the next few picks.

If you had to make a call, do any of the latter 3 clubs pass on JUH bid in favour of just taking Will Phillips and other players, assuming Thilthorpe is gone at 1 (which is anyone's guess)? What would you say is the furthest JUH could realistically slide?

At this rate, seems Adelaide are a lock for Pick 1, with Sydney, North (either their own of Melbourne's) and Freo having the next few picks.

If you had to make a call, do any of the latter 3 clubs pass on JUH bid in favour of just taking Will Phillips and other players, assuming Thilthorpe is gone at 1 (which is anyone's guess)? What would you say is the furthest JUH could realistically slide?

My view re. JUH is he's the number one pick regardless of who is picking.

All those clubs to varying extents could do with another key forward whether it's an immediate or long term need.

If Adelaide have pick 1 and take Thilthorpe and JUH is bid on and matched, Kaine Baldwin is that next most highly regarded but is hurt again with another ACL. Jackson Callow I'm a big fan of if I'm wanting someone. If JUH and Thilthorpe aren't available and I'm needing a key forward I'd be waiting until the second round onwards. He'll be there in the second round I imagine, if not third round.

Campbell and Gulden should be the second and third selections. It's just a question of who is that first taken by the club.

Will Phillips, Finlay Macrae, Elijah Hollands and Tanner Bruhn would be among those on my shortlist for Sydney.

Which one do you think is the best clearance player, not just in number of clearances but quality of clearances as well?

My view re. JUH is he's the number one pick regardless of who is picking.

All those clubs to varying extents could do with another key forward whether it's an immediate or long term need.

If Adelaide have pick 1 and take Thilthorpe and JUH is bid on and matched, Kaine Baldwin is that next most highly regarded but is hurt again with another ACL. Jackson Callow I'm a big fan of if I'm wanting someone. If JUH and Thilthorpe aren't available and I'm needing a key forward I'd be waiting until the second round onwards. He'll be there in the second round I imagine, if not third round.
One of the only things that would correct this horrid year for me is marra dropping t.green style

Which one do you think is the best clearance player, not just in number of clearances but quality of clearances as well?

None are perfect in both, not that there often is.

Phillips is the best mid and best clearance mid, and he provides in addition to just winning it that drive from the contest with his burst of speed. The main knock is kicking can sometimes lack consistency.

I'd like to see more of him this year but Tanner Bruhn may be that better relative blend if you want that most complete mix, so he is may be that second contender at this point I'd have in that conversation.

One of the only things that would correct this horrid year for me is marra dropping t.green style

Clubs legitimately didn't rate Green a top-3 pick and that's something I'll never get because he's always for me been on a level standing with Rowell and Anderson with very little separating one from the others. I could just as easily have had Green at 1 as I did at 3 at years end. Green is the most dominant stoppage player I've seen in my years following junior footy. Outright. It doesn't matter what a team needs, bid on this guy and think about other needs with other picks.

Most clubs had Young and Jackson both ahead of Green, with some clubs having a combination of others ahead of him also.

Not that Rowell is out for the season and no longer winning the B+F and Rising Star as I had predicted in the preseason, Green would be my pick for Rising Star, assuming GWS continue to give him midfield minutes.

JUH is my number one, but it's possible he drops a small few picks. Maybe he drops as far as pick 5? Who knows. Would be another head scratcher if he like Green last year also drops.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Knightmare, I'm a big fan of Zane Trew, I just want your opinion on where you reckon his likely range is and how you see him as a player.

Knightmare, I'm a big fan of Zane Trew, I just want your opinion on where you reckon his likely range is and how you see him as a player.

Trew I like and view as a first round choice.

Without seeing him this year though it's hard to say. I view Trew as a first round choice, but I would have liked to have seen an U18 Champs this year to see just how high up that first round mix. Whether it's top-10, or later in the first round.

My view is he's suitable for selection somewhere around pick 10 and after the first 15 picks would represent strong value.

10-20 would be my early guess for rough draft range. And I expect some would rate him top-10 and others outside the first round, as without footy being played this year, there should at least in theory be a lot more variation of opinion and guesswork as to where each club rates particular players.

Do you know of any good mature age small forwards? Cody Weightman is more of a high flyer, and a slightly older small crumbing pressure forward would be a good addition to the Dogs late draft. Sam Lowson is the one I'm thinking of, can you throw any other names into the ring?

Last edited:
KM.

I’ve worked out why you rate Bailey Schmidt as highly as you do.

His surname is German for Smith.

And, Footscray fans aside, you’re Bailey Smith’s biggest fan.

German's are serious business. Schmidt carries on the German tradition of being effective at what he does.

The Bailey Smith fan club is building this year. Glad to see others joining the fan club and recognising that he is the best midfielder from the 2018 draft. Could he be the best young midfielder in the game? I have him in that conversation.

I'm sure after Izak Rankine's debut performance I'll have people joining me as part of the Izak Rankine fan club. I said before his debut game - he'd be one of the first 5 I'd be picking at the selection table for the Suns and that he'll be one of the 2-3 guys in the competition for the next 10 years you'll go pay to see play.

Hopefully a few people also join me in the Jack Lukosius fan club. His second half of 2019 was excellent already and he's going from strength to strength this year. As with every young tall he still has aspects of his game to develop. The contested side to his game broadly I'd like to see come along. But everything else is looking the goods and needs to go from excellent to elite with so many categories he has the scope to become elite in - from kicking (it's already there really) to intercepting to his gut running. People keep sleeping on him and don't talk about him enough, but he's really good already.

Do you know of any good mature age small forwards? Cody Weightman is more of a high flyer, and a slightly older small crumbing pressure forward would be a good addition to the Dogs late draft. Sam Lowson is the one I'm thinking of, can you throw any other names into the ring?

There are a few good forwards in the state leagues. Ben Sokol is a favourite of mine but more of a powerful marking medium forward. Haiden Schloithe I really like as a mid/fwd but don't see him nominating for the draft again.

For what you're after, Sam Lowson off 2019 play is the guy and he's a good rookie candidate who should be there.

In the mean time though I feel like the Dogs already have someone to look to. Little tried Ben Cavarra I feel could play the role at least to an adequate level. He was a back-to-back VFL team of the year player if I recall correctly, but then missed last year with injury. I'd like to see him play the role for a stretch of games. He can pressure, crumb and win his own ball. Scoreboard impact moderate rather than high, but he can play as a role player.

German's are serious business. Schmidt carries on the German tradition of being effective at what he does.

The Bailey Smith fan club is building this year. Glad to see others joining the fan club and recognising that he is the best midfielder from the 2018 draft. Could he be the best young midfielder in the game? I have him in that conversation.

I'm sure after Izak Rankine's debut performance I'll have people joining me as part of the Izak Rankine fan club. I said before his debut game - he'd be one of the first 5 I'd be picking at the selection table for the Suns and that he'll be one of the 2-3 guys in the competition for the next 10 years you'll go pay to see play.

Hopefully a few people also join me in the Jack Lukosius fan club. His second half of 2019 was excellent already and he's going from strength to strength this year. As with every young tall he still has aspects of his game to develop. The contested side to his game broadly I'd like to see come along. But everything else is looking the goods and needs to go from excellent to elite with so many categories he has the scope to become elite in - from kicking (it's already there really) to intercepting to his gut running. People keep sleeping on him and don't talk about him enough, but he's really good already.

There are a few good forwards in the state leagues. Ben Sokol is a favourite of mine but more of a powerful marking medium forward. Haiden Schloithe I really like as a mid/fwd but don't see him nominating for the draft again.

For what you're after, Sam Lowson off 2019 play is the guy and he's a good rookie candidate who should be there.

In the mean time though I feel like the Dogs already have someone to look to. Little tried Ben Cavarra I feel could play the role at least to an adequate level. He was a back-to-back VFL team of the year player if I recall correctly, but then missed last year with injury. I'd like to see him play the role for a stretch of games. He can pressure, crumb and win his own ball. Scoreboard impact moderate rather than high, but he can play as a role player.
Luko has been fantastic this year. With Collins, Bowes, Luko and Ballard we have a really strong intercepting backline. Just need the ball in Lukosius's hands because some of the kicks he pulls off are ridiculous

Cavarra will hopefully become something. He's literally played a single game, the Pies game Round 1, in which we served up an all-time stinker of a performance out of the midfield. Our forwards got absolutely no supply, but he did manage a goal.

He was outstanding at VFL level as a midfielder, then switched to the small forward role and kicked 66.51 over his two seasons there before we drafted him. Incredibly quick (I believe the fastest in any combine testing in his draft year), but hardly had a chance to show it in his only game.

If he doesn't make it, what does Lowson have to offer that Cavarra doesn't?

Cavarra will hopefully become something. He's literally played a single game, the Pies game Round 1, in which we served up an all-time stinker of a performance out of the midfield. Our forwards got absolutely no supply, but he did manage a goal.

He was outstanding at VFL level as a midfielder, then switched to the small forward role and kicked 66.51 over his two seasons there before we drafted him. Incredibly quick (I believe the fastest in any combine testing in his draft year), but hardly had a chance to show it in his only game.

If he doesn't make it, what does Lowson have to offer that Cavarra doesn't?

Cavarra can play both midfield and forward, but with the sheer depth of quality numbers there is no way Cavarra should be considered for a midfield spot realistically. He's not nearly Bont/Macrae/Dunkley/Smith.

Up forward though, that's where I see a possible role for him where he can pressure, crumb, has the speed and can win his own ball. That's really all that's needed in the role.

Lowson isn't the ball winner Cavarra is and doesn't have the same midfield capabilities but is of the two the more dangerous around goal and more threatening overhead, while sharing similar pressure and ground level capabilities.

Cavarra can play both midfield and forward, but with the sheer depth of quality numbers there is no way Cavarra should be considered for a midfield spot realistically. He's not nearly Bont/Macrae/Dunkley/Smith.

Up forward though, that's where I see a possible role for him where he can pressure, crumb, has the speed and can win his own ball. That's really all that's needed in the role.

Lowson isn't the ball winner Cavarra is and doesn't have the same midfield capabilities but is of the two the more dangerous around goal and more threatening overhead, while sharing similar pressure and ground level capabilities.
I feel like the problem with Cavara is that he's a midfielder who turned himself into a forward to get drafted. I'm not sure his forward craft, skills or defensive pressure are good enough to be a dedicated forward player at AFL level. I'm hoping Weightman is a bit better in this regard but haven't seen him play yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back