Draft Watcher Knightmare's 2012 Mock Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just depends on whether another club bid on Stewart before our first selection. Will depend on those compensation selections and our eventual ladder positioning. Unless we finish outside of the top 8 the most likely outcomes is that we will be using a 1st round selection on Stewart - which I don't have a problem with.

Well if we Finish Where we think then I be happy selecting him there

Hey Knightmare do you know much about brian coleman-broome and where do you see him going in the draft?

Hey Knightmare do you know much about brian coleman-broome and where do you see him going in the draft?

One of the best talents from Queensland in this years group and is one I'll be watching closely over the coming weeks.

Haven't seen him play this year yet but have been impressed with what i've seen in the past. Very quick and looks good off a back flank in a rebounding role.

Could feature as a mid range draftee going on previous viewings.

One of the best talents from Queensland in this years group and is one I'll be watching closely over the coming weeks.

Haven't seen him play this year yet but have been impressed with what i've seen in the past. Very quick and looks good off a back flank in a rebounding role.

Could feature as a mid range draftee going on previous viewings.

It looks like he will be a zone selection I read on the Lions board that he is in the Lions academy but the Lions don't have first access beacuse the Suns still have one more year of having first acess to any QLD player.

#18 Carlton- Troy Menzel (SA – Mid)
Height: 183cm, Weight: 78kg, DOB: 22/09/1994
Recruited from: Central District
Style:
Player comparison:
Range: 10-35
Profile: Troy is the younger brother of Cat Daniel Menzel. There are differences in their play with Troy more of a midfielder but what is the same is that both can play and play to a very high level. Troy is a highly productive midfielder who stand out because of his awareness and decision making under pressure, is one of those players who is always composed. Skill level very good and by both hand and foot stands out. Athletically Troy is excellent with his combination of speed, agility and endurance which is very exciting. Even with this athleticism Troy doesn’t rely on it and is a really natural footballer rather than a pure athlete and because of this I see a strong future ahead of him at AFL level. One major concern I have with Troy that could see him slide is that he has had LARS. With Malceski and Rodan getting reinjured after LARS before Menzel while a high level talent in this draft comes with some serious injury risk.
Why:

Will not last past Geelong's first pick IMO.
Participated in a small block of Geelongs pre-season training this year along with Brodie Murdoch.

i rate brendon lim highly does well to get the footy as well as corey chalmers really big tough nut. also a bloke named mackenzie morgan, from claremont, coming off an ACL mid last year? im pretty sure he should be due for his comeback very soon its nearly been twelve months. that kid can play, lockdown defender or a lead up half forward. big and strong. was nearly 90 kilos playing as a 16/17 year old last year i got told.

Lim and Chalmers are super inside midfielders. Those two feeding Shaw in the 18's could see WA pretty tough to beat.

Morgan is back playing and is in the 18's squad. Is a big chance to get a game in the championships. Super defender, could be a draft steal if he's still there late.

Hey mate, what's the go on Jordan Williams a possible F/S selection for the dons? What role does he play? Where would we want to draft him?

Participated in a small block of Geelongs pre-season training this year along with Brodie Murdoch.

Your a good chance at finishing above us on the ladder... So unless your compo pick betters our first choice he'd be coming to us, then again he could go higher up the draft order anyway, Either way he's a beauty and I'd love him at the blues

This is just me but while I do consider Menzel a top 10 or so selection on talent I wouldn't take him inside the top 20 myself. LARS is still unproven and while I don't tend to discriminate based on injuries as a junior I wouldn't be betting on him as a long term player myself.

Just depends on how AFL clubs evaluate him but I'm very concerned about his long term durability.

Hey mate, what's the go on Jordan Williams a possible F/S selection for the dons? What role does he play? Where would we want to draft him?

Probably not likely to get selected. Didn't make the Metro squad. Plays through the midfield for Eastern Ranges.

What are your thoughts on Lachie Plowman KM?

I've heard at least one club rates him a 5-10 prospect.

Allot rate him highly. Very talented key defender and has a really natural rebounding game. I don't have him in my top 5-10. But I can certainly see why some clubs would. If the draft were held tomorrow would feature somewhere in the 1st round.

Shame we won't get to see him at the U18 champs though. Fantastic talent and you want to see the best talents against the best in the country. Shouldn't hurt draft stocks too heavily. Recognised as a top prospect already and one of the best if not the best key defender in this years draft so he will be fine.

North Melbourne to finish 15th?

We both owe him an apology.

#6 North Melbourne - Josh Simpson (SA – Mid/Fwd)
Height: 181cm, Weight: 67kg, DOB: 09/02/1994
Recruited from: North Adelaide
Style:
Player comparison:
Range: 2-15
Profile: Simpson is a highly skilled football player and is really committed to his football which is a great sign. Very quick and uses that quickness well. Is not just a flashy outside player but also has the production to go with it which makes him such a highly rated prospect. Made the move from WA to SA in 2011 to further his football education and to get a spot in the U18 championships which turned out to be a great move consider he didn’t make the U16 champs for WA in 2010. Really stood out in the U18 champs in 2011 for SA and showed that he can really produce which is a great sign. Has a really natural skill set and is a very good user of the ball with that ability to use both sides and has that great balance to him. For someone still so lean his attack on the football is very encouraging. Really like what I’ve seen of Simpson so far and hopefully he continues his strong improvement again in 2012.

Tell me more?

Is this kid a tad chancy?

Are there surer bets about?

Knightmare do you reckon theres any chance Ben Kennedy could end up at Punt Rd or is his lack of height gonna pose a problem in terms of where clubs see him in the order. I rate Kennedy highly by the way.

We both owe him an apology.

Tell me more?

Is this kid a tad chancy?

Are there surer bets about?

The moving with Simpson was more so that he could get increased opportunity (in WA couldn't make the WA u18 squad to moved to SA for the opportunity to play against the best competition - now back in WA because he proven that he is more than worth of representing his state) which to me is a sign that he is very serious about a football career if he is doing anything he can to further his chances of success.

Simpson is probably one of the more low risk types. Despite being a high level talent with his pace + skills he has a dip and from all reports is highly coachable and really committed to his footy.

Some alternatives for North Melbourne worth considering: Stringer, Toumpas and Vlastuin are the ones I like early.
If you don't mind taking a ruck I also highly recommend taking a look at Grundy who could probably to be a real bargain if still available at pick 5/6 or wherever North Melbourne end up picking - would be a worthy top 2-3 selection on quality.

Knightmare do you reckon theres any chance Ben Kennedy could end up at Punt Rd or is his lack of height gonna pose a problem in terms of where clubs see him in the order. I rate Kennedy highly by the way.

Richmond are onto the moneyball philosophies so it seems like the key will be production and value. Maybe a key position players is looked at, another ruckman or perhaps something else if there is obvious value available.

Kennedy is certainly one worth considering and would add allot to your forwardline. Certainly a clear upgrade on Addam Maric.

The midfield is a reasonable height overall so I wouldn't be too worried. Deledio is 188, Martin 187, Tuck 189, Jackson 188, Cotchin 185 with Foley the only shorter one at 178cm. I wouldn't be too concerned about the lack of height if you did decide to go the Kennedy route.

The note with Kennedy and those other sub 175 types is that they reach their peak earlier so judge them on what they are now rather than on perceived upside. With Kennedy his "now" product is exceptional and his production is in that top group so he looks like a really solid prospect and a potentially really solid get.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Knightmare.

Hitchcock, Phillips, Banner aren't coming on. Gray injured do you think there is a chance Port may go for Kennedy?

Depends on eventual ladder finish.

If bottom 5 I wouldn't. Whitfield, Grundy, Stringer, Toumpas and Vlastuin are all clearly better talents.

If selecting outside of the top 5 consider.

This is just me but while I do consider Menzel a top 10 or so selection on talent I wouldn't take him inside the top 20 myself. LARS is still unproven and while I don't tend to discriminate based on injuries as a junior I wouldn't be betting on him as a long term player myself.

Kinda off topic... but I noticed you bring up Rodan as "re-injuring" himself with his LARS. That never happened... the first time was the LARS was a little bit frayed in the offseason, so he had that fixed and missed no football. The second time it was an injury to his OTHER knee, which coincidentally had originally had a proper, natural reconstruction. So if anything, he's proof that LARS is better than full reco.

Kinda off topic... but I noticed you bring up Rodan as "re-injuring" himself with his LARS. That never happened... the first time was the LARS was a little bit frayed in the offseason, so he had that fixed and missed no football. The second time it was an injury to his OTHER knee, which coincidentally had originally had a proper, natural reconstruction. So if anything, he's proof that LARS is better than full reco.

Rodan. Malceski. Pick your poison.

Add to this Daniel's injury history (Daniel Menzel) and you can't help have concern for the guy long term.

But Troy he is a hell of a talent as he showed with his 9 goals v Tasmania. Tasmania without Jesse Lonergan are really terrible this year but none the less 9 goals against any opposition is a fair effort.

As a talent if you have faith in LARS Troy could turn out a really nice selection. I'm just not one of them and until I see evidence in a number of cases of it allowing players to play long term without problems it wouldn't be an investment I'd go for. Only scenario I'd say go for it might be if you are 28+, nearing the end of your career and wanting to get back within 3 months and running at full speed if you are going for a position in a finals squad which is the advantage of it because it allows you to come back and play to a high level so immediately.

Also worth noting with knee injuries typically it is the opposite knee that goes. Whether knee reco or LARS this will likely be the more frequent "next injury".

I never thought of that, good point.

Just with Port's sudden hit of form and subsequent ladder rise, I've stopped looking at the top end (Stringer/Toumpas/Vlastuin) and started lowering my sights. Menzel is a tasty prospect.

Have to be due for an update soon Knightmare? :D

Will look to find some time over the next week or two to update this. Order has changed somewhat. Just need to add some descriptions to keep up with it.

Power rankings 2012 (This represents where I rate players in this draft rather than where I expect them to land):
------------------Potential A-Graders--------------------
(Don’t be surprised if O’Meara and Whitfield don’t all things said and done develop into the best of this group. This top region is much more even than advertised and I see very little separating this group. Crouch, Wines and Stringer to have the most immediate impact. Very strong top end quality relative to normal)
1. Joe Daniher (Ess – F/S)
2. Jaeger O’Meara (GC – 17 Y/O)
3. Lachlan Whitfield
4. Brad Crouch (Adel – 17 Y/O)
5. Jimmy Toumpas
6. Jackson Macrae
7. Jack Viney (Melb – F/S)
8. Oliver Wines
9. Brodie Grundy
10. Jake Stringer
------------------Potentially high level AFL players--------------------
(Again this next group are all pretty evenly rated in my mind and like with that top 10 quality group little separates the top from the bottom here. These prospects all have a strong chance to go on to have success but not willing to guarantee anything with this group and it could work out any number of ways with this group)
11. Jonothan O’Rourke
12. Troy Menzel
13. Nick Vlastuin
14. Tom Clurey
15. Nathan Hrovat
16. Lachlan Plowman
17. Dayle Garlett
18. Ben Kennedy
19. Jesse Lonergan
20. Josh Simpson
21. Taylor Garner
22. Sam Mayes
23. Tim Membrey
24. Nathan Wright
25. Jed Anderson (Hawthorn – via GWS zone)
----------------Best of the rest-----------------
(From here no guarantees with any of these prospects in my mind and I could name 150 from here I rate evenly. Not a draft you want too many second and third round selections but some real opportunity in the rookie draft)
26. Kristian Jaksch
27. Aidan Corr
28. Tom Lee (St Kilda – via GWS)
29. Mason Wood
30. Kamdyn McIntosh
31. Tim O’Brien
32. Jason Pongracic
33. Matthew McDonough
34. Lachie Hunter (WBD - F/S)
35. Harley Montgomery
36. Anthony Tipungwuti
37. James Stewart (Coll – F/S – elected not to take)
38. Tom Langdon
39. Jackson Ramsay
40. Louis Herbert
41. Brad Hartman
42. Mason Shaw
43. Spencer White
44. Jacob Ballard
45. Cameron Banfield
46. Zac Williams
47. Dean Kent
48. Sam Heavyside
49. Nathan Stark
50. Darcy Fort
Paul Marschall (likely not entering the draft but otherwise would feature in my top 40)

Minidraft (2011):
#1 Gold Coast - Jaeger O’Meara (WA - Mid)
Height: 183cm, Weight: 78kg, DOB: 23/02/1994
Recruited from: Perth Football Club
Style: Gary Ablett
Player comparison:
Range (2012): 1-2
Profile: Has absolutely elite speed – 2.80 over 20m. Endurance is high with a 14+ beep. Really looks like a sensational athlete already and has huge AFL potential. He makes good use of his speed and can take players on like few others and reminds you so much of a Judd or Ablett with the way he can go. Has that rare vision and awareness to go with it. Big time clearance player. Probably more outside than inside at this stage. Overhead marking good. Gets high tackling numbers. Decision making can be off at times, but improving. Can kick both feet well but could certainly work on consistent by foot and hit targets and finishing more consistently. When his kicking is on though he can hit targets hard and fast to where they want it so the potential is there for his kicking to get better. Also would like to see him hit the scoreboard more. But everything else he can do and already does suggests that he will go on to be a special player.
Why:

#2 Adelaide - Brad Crouch (VIC – Mid/Def)
Height: 184cm, Weight: 83kg, DOB: 12/01/1994
Recruited from: North Ballarat Rebels
Style: Luke Hodge
Player comparison:
Range (2012): 2-5
Profile: Really strong inside player. Could play AFL footy now. Very ready to go. Physically is ready. Has a complete game. Really hard worker and will never die wondering. Future captain material. Ball use very good and is good by both hand and foot. Speed very good and can break the lines. Can also play off a back flank and provide some high level rebound and I expect this is where he starts his career before building into a full time midfield role. Very low risk guy where you know what you’ve got, and you know he will succeed in a big way at the next level.
Why:

GWS - NT Zone:
Hawthorn - Jed Anderson (NT – Mid/Util)
Height: 178cm, Weight: 75kg, DOB: 16/02/1994
Recruited from: Darwin
Style:
Player comparison: Toby Greene
Range: 15-35 (GWS can sign through zone selection – likely)
Profile: Anderson is a really high level contested ball winner. Absolute bull with his attack on the ball. During the 2011 U18 Champs was the best from NT and really displayed his talent as a bottom age player and backed it up with another standout effort in 2012. Has some versatility to play through the midfield, up forward or down back. Skill level very good and decision making in congestion in particular stands out. Quickness is above average but what athletically stands out with Anderson is his evasiveness and side step which has impressed. Also like his strong marking ability forward of centre which has impressed with his nice leap and ability to mark the ball in the air, 1v1 and also take a strong contested grab which at his size is impressive. Looks likely to go to GWS through a Zone Selection you’d think.
Why:

Melbourne - Dominic Barry (NT – Def/Mid)
Height: 183cm, Weight: 78kg, DOB: 07/03/1994
Style:
Player comparison:
Range: 30-rookie
Profile: Very quick outside midfielder with a good combination of speed and endurance. Has a real slippery, evasiveness to him and has really nice agility. The speed is the real feature of his game and both ways it can be a real feature whether it be with his chasing or offensive running when he can get into space. His numbers are very solid for a player of his type but to improve will need to develop some more consistency in his ball use. Tested exceptionally well in a number of categories at the recent draft combine.
Why:

Port Adelaide - Jake Neade (NT –Fwd/Mid)
Height: 170cm, Weight: 64kg, DOB: 29/03/1994
Style:
Player comparison:
Range: late-rookie
Profile: Neade is a very quick small forward with impressive tackling ability. Real highlight machine with some of the things he can do. Neade was rewarded with a great u18 championships with a position on the bench of the u18 All Australian team. At his height not a marking target but very good at ground level and has some ball winning ability. Good finisher around goal and has a neat tackling game.

GWS mature age trade:
St Kilda - Tom Lee (WA – KPF/KPD)
Height: 194cm, Weight: 94kg, DOB: 02/01/1991
Recruited from: Claremont
Style:
Player Comparison:
Range: 15-50
Profile: Most promising key position player running around in the state leagues. Lee has impressed this year and has absolutely exploded as a key forward. Lee can play key defence and play it well and in the past he was more of a key position utility of sorts but this year Lee has really found his position and seems to get more comfortable and more dominant as a key forward by the week. Lee is no longer the skinny kid he was with Adelaide and has really developed into a marking presence up forward. Athletically above average and has good pace and leap. Accuracy for goal good from both field kicks and from set shots. Ready to play from season one and step into the forwardline.
Why:

Gold Coast Zone:
Clay Cameron (QLD – KPP)
Height: 191cm, Weight: 83kg, DOB: 27/05/1994
Recruited from: Mt Gravatt
Style:
Player comparison:
Range: 20-rookie
Profile: Has in the past played as a key forward but this year is showing some ability as a key defender. Cameron is an above average athlete and has a strong leap on him. The major strength in his game is his strong marking ability and his ability to take a grab at its highest point. Down back has a solid shut down game and can go with most forwards.

Likely not entering the draft but worth a shot:
Paul Marschall (SA – Def)
Height: 189cm, Weight: 90kg, DOB:
Recruited from: Central Districts
Style:
Player comparison:
Range: 25-60
Profile: Ready to go defender who stands out with his ball use by both hand and foot. Excellent decision maker and rarely misses a target by foot out of the back half and is developing into a real weapon. Strong overhead mark. Tackling game also above average in the back half. Seems to have decided not to enter the draft but if he chose to he would be one of the few mature agers likely to go in the national draft such is his quality.
Why:

Power Rankings for 2013:
*Potential A-graders*
1. Luke McDonald (VIC - UTIL – NM F/S)
2. James Aish (SA - Mid)
3. Jesse Hogan (WA - KPF) – Melbourne via minidraft
4. Thomas Boyd (VIC - KPF)
5. Jack Martin (WA - Util) – Gold Coast via minidraft
6.Luke Dunstan (SA –Mid/Fwd)
7. Jack Billings (VIC – Fwd/Mid)
8. Matt Crouch (VIC - Mid)
9. Josh Kelly (VIC - Mid)
10.Dominic Sheed (WA – Mid)
--
*Potentially high level AFL footballers*
11. Dwayne Wilson (SA – Mid)
12. Luke Reynolds (SA – Fwd/Mid)
13. Trent Dumont (SA - Mid)
14. Matt Scharenberg (SA – Mid/Def)
15. Kurt Heatherley (NZ – KPD – Haw)
16. Lewis Taylor (VIC – Mid)
17. Christian Salem (VIC - Mid)
18. James Tsitas (VIC – Mid)
19. Billy Hartung (VIC - Mid)
20. Nicholas Bourke (VIC - Mid)
21. Clayton McCartney (VIC – Fwd/Mid)
22. Nicholas Robertson (WA – Mid)
23. Jarman Impey (VIC – Fwd)
24. Isaiah Miller (VIC – Mid)
25. Aiden Franetic (VIC – Mid)
26. Nathan Freeman (VIC – Mid)
27. Darcy Hourigan (SA – Fwd/Def)
28. Alex Spina (SA – Mid)
29. Eli Templeton (TAS - Mid)
30. Ben Lennon (VIC - Fwd)
--
*Best of the rest*
31. Jacob Coniglio (WA – Mid)
32. Cameron Conlon (VIC – KPF/Ruck)
33. Elijah Edwards (Collingwood - NSW/ACT – Mid)
34. Guy Dickson (VIC - Fwd)
35. Willy Rioli (NT – Fwd)
36. Zac Webster (TAS – Mid)
37. Tom Cutler (VIC – KPD)
38. Fraser Fort (VIC – KPD)
39. Aaron Christensen (VIC – Mid/Fwd)
40. Jay Kennedy-Harris (VIC – Fwd)
41. Laurence Grecos (WA - Mid)
42. Sam Garstone (WA – KPP)
43. Jake Kelly (VIC – Mid)
44. Tim Allen (VIC – Fwd/Mid)
45. Isaac Conway (Brisbane – QLD – Mid)
46. Williams Maginness (VIC – Mid/Fwd)
47. Jacob Chisari (VIC – Mid)
48. Agape Patolo (VIC – Ruck)
49. Aaron Heppell (VIC – Mid/Def)
50. Jordan Bastinac (VIC – Mid)
51. Cain Tickner (QLD – KPP)
52. Sam Gribble (QLD – Mid)
53. Darcy Cameron (WA – KPP/Ruck)

Minidraft (2012):
1. Gold Coast - Jack Martin (WA – Mid/Fwd)
Height: 185cm, Weight: 64kg, DOB: 29/01/1995
Style: Dale Thomas
Player comparison:
Range: 1-5
Profile: Martin is a neat little prospect and really stands out with his great run and carry. Has great pace and uses it well through the midfield and is a guy you really notice. One thing that has impressed me with Martin is his explosive sidestep, can just explode off to the side and it isn’t just straight line pace. Probably more of an outside player but is an above average stoppage player and clearance work very reasonable for someone so slight of build which is encouraging. Has a great leap on him and can take a high flying mark and also for his size is a very strong contested mark. Has also shown nice ability to read the ball and regularly gets intercept marks off opposition kicks. After a mark is willing to move the ball on quickly and in a team with quick ball movement could really thrive. Lively tackler. Skills very neat and pin point. Finishing ability around goal good. Also really like his composure with ball in hand and generally uses it really well.
Why:

2. Melbourne - Jesse Hogan (WA – KPF)
Height: 193cm, Weight: 91kg, DOB: 12/02/1995
Style: Jonathan Brown
Player comparison:
Range: 1-5
Profile: Strong contested marking forward and is a real presence and target you can kick to. Also has excellent ability to take a 1v1 mark and this seems a real feature of his game. Reads it well in the air and off the players boot. Has the ability to crash packs and bring it to ground and seems to enjoy the physical side of the game. Physically developed for his age and already a very high level key forward. By foot is a good field kick and can find a leading target. Will need to work on set shot goal kicking routine – just doesn’t look as fluid as you’d ideally like to see and as a result his set shot goal kicking seems to suffer.
Why:

2012:
#1 GWS- Lachlan Whitfield (VIC – Mid/Fwd)
Height: 184cm, Weight: 74kg, DOB: 18/07/1994
Recruited from: Dandenong Stingrays
Style:
Player comparison: Andrew Gaff
Range: 1
Profile: The thing that makes Whitfield stand out is his work rate, he just never stops running and absolutely works his man into the ground consistently. Whitfield’s endurance is in the very top percentile and just runs all day and has no difficulty running through a tag. The other thing is his skill level by foot. Perfect left footer. Just that class above and always looks composed with ball in hand and is that class above. Has more time than everyone else. Very duel sided. Also uses it smartly and unselfishly which is a big plus. Very dangerous around goals and has shown that he doesn’t need to play through the midfield but is most productive and best suited to playing on a wing at this stage. Has a real natural evasiveness and can pretty easily avoid tackles. Strong mark overhead on the lead and around the field. Speed good but not elite. Inside game is developing and while he is more of an outside player his inside game is underrated and coming along nicely and he can easily step into the centre square and win his own ball reading it well and particularly standing out when running onto the ball with momentum. Physically Whitfield has developed well over the past few years which suggest he still has a lot of physical development ahead and unlike Bryce Gibbs who developed early Whitfield should have a lot more development to come so he should be one of the best players to come out of this year’s draft when it’s all said and done.

#2 GWS (Via Gold Coast) - Jonothan O’Rourke (VIC - Mid)
Height: 183cm, Weight: 75kg, DOB: 21/04/1994
Recruited from: Calder Cannons
Style: Brett Deledio
Player comparison:
Range: 2-6
Profile: Missed most of the 2011 season with a hamstring injury but has come back hard in 2012 and shown us just how good he is. O’Rouke is a very explosive, highly skills inside receiver. He has some balance between inside and outside game but I wouldn’t consider him a master of either with limited inside ball winning ability and an average linkup game. Maybe not your most natural ball winner but he attacks the ball hard. Very good all rounder who stands out most is his ball use, particularly by foot which is just so good for an inside player. Finds targets consistently by foot, has some hurt factor and finishes beautifully around goal. Decision making ability good and chooses the right target more often than not. Is also a very good athlete and has great pace with the ability to burst away from packs and a nice leap on him. Very good in congestion and has that great decision making ability choosing the right targets even while pressured which is impressive. He is more your inside receiver who benefits from the work of the stronger, ball winning inside midfielders who can accelerate away from the contest and deliver to the targets up the ground by foot and this is more what I see his role as but not so sure that inside game ever develops and makes him into that Dangerfield explosive type inside guy who can win his own ball even though his explosiveness is just as good. One move I’d consider with O’Rourke is a move onto a back flank at some stage. 1v1 game will need to get stronger but with his elite pace and footskills he could become a real weapon off a back flank for a team.

#3 GWS (Via Melbourne) - Lachlan Plowman (VIC – KPD/Def)
Height: 191cm, Weight: 86kg, DOB: 11/09/1994
Style:
Player comparison: Andrew Mackie
Range: 2-12
Profile: Strong key defender who stands out with his marking and ability to read the play down back. Plowman is an offensive minded key defender who provides great drive from the back half. Defensively Plowman can continue to get better but I really love his style of play with his really natural rebounding game down back which I hope he continues to develop because it is a really great strength to his game. Shutdown game solid and can also play a role as a close checker. Unfortunately we didn’t get to see him during the u18 champs, but that should in no way hurt his draft stocks with what he has shown otherwise throughout his footballing. Has rare composure for a key defender and has a great skill set for a player of his type with his footskills in particular standing out with his ability to find targets up the field. Has really nice mobility and if he has the ball in general play he can avoid tackles as you’d see from smaller players which is an interesting aspect of Plowman’s game. Recent speculation has been that Plowman could be developed into a midfielder so don’t be surprised if this is where he develops. Certainly at his size and with his composure and ball use looks an ideal future inside midfielder with clubs increasingly preferring those taller midfielders.

#4 Melbourne (Compensation Pick) – Jimmy Toumpas (SA – Mid/Def)
Height: 183cm, Weight: 77kg, DOB: 02/01/1994
Recruited from: Woodville West Torrens
Player comparison:
Range: 2-5
Profile: Really damaging player with some versatility. Can take over and influence games as well as just about anyone in this draft and throughout the u18 champs for bursts really imposed himself on games which was impressive. Skill level excellent by both hand and foot, has that combination of hurt factor with the penetrating kick he has and clean ball use that will make him a big time weapon. Very capable of unloading for long goals. Consistently good decision maker. High level athlete and has that combination of explosive speed and agility that will make him desirable as well as in game work rate. Endurance excellent. Also has shown very early on that he can lift for the big games which is I strongly believe is something that he will take with him to AFL level. Can play as a midfielder, forward or back which is a big advantage but long term will no doubt develop into a midfielder. Has the ability to play both as an inside and outside midfielder. One important note with Toumpas is that throughout the u18 champs he was playing with hip problems so to play through injury and influence games in the way he did was very impressive.

#5 Western Bulldogs - Jackson Macrae (VIC – Mid/Fwd)
Height: 188cm, Weight: 75kg, DOB: 03/08/1994
Recruited from: Oakleigh Chargers
Style:
Player comparison: Scott Pendlebury
Range: 5-15
Profile: Macrae has really come on this year and developed into one of the more intriguing prospects. Macrae is a highly skilled and high production outside player who has really played some fantastic football this year and has improved as much as any since the beginning of the season really showing consistent development throughout. What most stands out with Macrae is his ability by hand under pressure to find targets he has no right to find as well as his really natural 360 degree spacial awareness of what is around him and his agility and ability to create more time for himself to then execute by hand or foot under pressure. He can really dance around and make any opposition look silly just falling over themselves trying to tackle him, just too elusive. Finishing ability around goal excellent and has a real understanding of his positioning relative to the goals to allow him to execute finishes from positions few others can. Macrae’s kicking ability has improved significantly this year and has much more hurt factor on it with improved penetration and an ability to hit targets in dangerous positions. Really weights his kicks beautifully and with regularity finds the correct target. Even under pressure in positions where he has no right to get a clear kick off to a target he still has great ability to find the right target up the field. Has rare poise and composure and seems to have more time than the next player in the same way Pendlebury does and just never looks rushed with ball in hand. He reads the play well both offensively and defensively allowing him to get to the right positions with his offensive run in particular most impressive getting to the right positions in the linkup chains where he can be most dangerous. Marking ability above average and field marking ability as well as marking ability behind the ball is good. Macrae’s pace is slightly below average for an outside type but I don’t consider this a concern because of the way he evades and gets out of trouble finding that extra time and space to execute by hand or foot. Additionally he is a very quick thinker with that ability to get out of trouble but also execute his skills quickly. Athletically where Macrae stands out is the endurance side which he has really developed to a high level this year which allows him to get so much of the ball around the ground along with his understanding of where the ball will go next. The next step for Macrae I feel is developing his inside game. With his inside awareness and in congestion to find players but also evade in traffic like few others I think his inside game can be very similar and almost as good as that of Pendlebury and he should really look to once he adds size to his frame to model his game around that of Pendlebury. Another guy who can absolutely turn it on in big games and finals as he proven not only when he lifted his output for the u18 championships but also in the TAC Cup finals where he found that next level again which is what the very special players do.

#6 Western Bulldogs (Compensation Pick) - Jake Stringer (VIC - Util)
Height: 191cm, Weight: 91kg, DOB: 25/04/1994
Recruited from: Bendigo Pioneers
Player comparison:
Range: 5-19
Profile: Stringer is probably the best talent in the draft and had it not been for a broken leg this season I would probably have him at no.1. Comes from a basketball background. Hard worker. Hasn’t really dominated games this year the way he has in the past and after his sickening broken leg of last year it’s just great to see him playing footy again. Stringer’s conditioning isn’t nearly where it was pre-injury and doesn’t seem to have his trademark explosiveness and leaping ability back yet and the endurance is nowhere near where it was but what’s encouraging is that he is still attacking the ball as hard as ever and working as hard as he can to impose himself on games. The feature I’ve always loved in Stringer’s game is his ability to play anywhere and just change the game with his attack on the ball and sheer will. With Stringer the versatility is a great asset and when he gets his fitness back he should be able to play through the midfield, forward or back to a high level. Wins the hard ball consistently and is a very good inside player to go along with his outside running ability which we have seen in the past. Ball use good by both hand and foot. Very strong mark overhead and can hit the scoreboard hard when shifted forward and with his limited fitness this year has mostly had to play up forward. Stringer has star potential but needs to get his athleticism and conditioning back first before we see him back at his best which will take some time. Has great leadership potential and looks likely to be a guy who leads from the front at AFL level. I’ve most liked his play through the midfield at VFL level where he really demonstrated just how much of an AFL ready prospect he is but I also think he should play some minutes forward or back as required in a similar way to Luke Hodge when required because of the influence he can have anywhere. In my view Stringer would be wasted as a key position player and at his height and I don’t see it as a long term position for him when his ability through the midfield more where he stands out despite playing most of this year for Bendigo as a key forward.

#7 Port Adelaide- Oliver Wines (VIC - Mid)
Height: 185cm, Weight: 83kg, DOB: 07/10/1994
Recruited from: Bendigo Pioneers
Style: Jobe Watson
Player comparison: Josh Caddy
Range: 3-11
Profile: Wines is a really good all rounder and a real footballer who attacks the ball hard and more often than not comes out with it. Good ball user by both hand and foot and decision making ability and for an inside player has rare composure and regularly chooses the right option in a variety of situations. Good finisher around goal. Excellent at reading the play and gets into the right positions. Wines is already very physically developed, big ball winner who can step into an AFL team from round one and play some good football. Wins all the clearances and contested ball and is a guy you can rely on, on the inside to get the job done. He isn’t a standout athlete and has below average pace and endurance can still continue to improve but when a guy finds the footy like Wines does it doesn’t matter and you trust that his endurance will improve. I also really like his tackling technique – he pins the arms and stops the opposition player from being able to move the ball on. Real proven performer and likely to have an immediate impact at the next level and produce some really big numbers.

#8 Brisbane- Sam Mayes (SA – Fwd/Mid)
Height: 187cm, Weight: 78kg, DOB: 20/05/1994
Recruited from: North Adelaide
Style:
Player comparison: Brad Green
Range: 7-15
Profile: Leadup forward who can also push into the midfield and have an impact. Mayes is an excellent user of the footy by foot, finding targets with ease but what most stands out is his ability to finish around goal consistently. Has above average pace and can at times burst away from the trailing defender. Marking ability very strong for a player of his size so there is a lot to work with. Has some ball winning ability through the midfield but still more improvement needs to come in this area for him to become an elite player. Long term with Mayes the view would be for him to develop into a midfielder and with his great footskills, speed then ability when pushing forward to present as a marking target he looms as an ideal player to have in your rotation as a midfielder/forward. But will take some time to develop into a high level midfielder and might benefit from learning off other established high level midfielders who can further help Mayes develop his midfield game. I wouldn’t mind seeing what Mayes can do off a back flank at the next level and I think this could be another possibility for him with his skill set and I expect he would be adaptable enough to adjust to this type of role if required.

#9 Richmond – Nick Vlastuin (VIC – Mid/Def)
Height: 187cm, Weight: 83kg, DOB: 19/04/1994
Recruited from: Northern Knights
Style: Michael Voss
Player comparison:
Range: 9-19
Profile: Midfielder who consistently wins the contested footy and just consistently goes harder than the next player. Big time clearance player. Skill level is exceptional, uses it well by both hand and foot and rarely makes mistakes. Particularly stands out by foot and has nice penetration. Has also been noted for leadership and really leads by example out on the field so there is a lot to like. Marking ability forward of centre very good for a midfielder. Consistently plays to a high level. Athletically only average and endurance still a work in progress and will need to improve before he develops into a full time midfielder. Tackles hard and willingly works both ways. Looks like a very low risk, solid pro who is worthy of a high draft position. Probably didn’t produce the numbers at the u18 champs that many expected but still a very desirable prospect and a guy you can play through the midfield or off a back flank tomorrow which will appeal to a number of clubs. One of those guys you’d love to have around the club.

#10 Essendon – Joe Daniher (VIC – KPF/Ruck) F/S
Height: 201cm, Weight: 89kg, DOB: 04/03/1994
Style: Paul Salmon
Player comparison:
Range: 1st round
Profile: Daniher after his final game of the u18 championships announced himself and showed that he would be a worth no.1 overall selection if not for F/S. Daniher is a key forward who has the ability to ruck, but he would be wasted as a ruckman when you watch just how dominant he can be as a key forward. As a key forward Daniher has the best contested marking ability of any player in this draft. Marks at the highest point and out of reach every time and has a completely dominant ability to mark the footy whether it be on the lead, in a contest, 1v1 or in the air as a key forward. The other feature which impresses me with Daniher is that at ground level, he is as good as any I’ve ever seen over 2m. Can bend down and pick it up so cleanly, it’s really rare for a guy of this size to have that ability at ground level and combined with his overhead abilities Daniher can develop into one of if not the league’s most dominant key forward. Pace and agility very good for someone of his height. Daniher’s strength is developing well and with time he will be able to grow out strongly. Not a guy you want playing from round one, but with some time developing assuming he has a good run of injuries throughout his career WILL become a dominant force and one of the premier key forwards around the league. The one area Daniher needs to put more time into is his set shot goalkicking, can get some high difficulty ones but also can lack consistency from easier set shot kicks. Has a good 55m penetration on his kick and field kicking is very good for a player of his size. Skill level is good for a player of his height and interestingly can get some of the higher difficulty set shot goals but Joe will want to develop more consistency from the positions where he should consistently be kicking them from. Essendon have themselves a beauty here.

#11 Carlton- Troy Menzel (SA – Mid/Fwd)
Height: 187cm, Weight: 77kg, DOB: 22/09/1994
Recruited from: Central District
Style: Steve Johnson
Player comparison:
Range: 2-12
Profile: Troy is the younger brother of Cat Daniel Menzel and is every bit as talented if not more so with greater midfield capabilities but like his brother has similarly had his injury troubles and concerning is that despite his tender age he has had LARS which may/may not concern clubs but knowing how many have had knee injuries post LARS (most frequently to the other knee) I do have injury concerns. On talent Menzel is every bit a top 10 quality prospect and will no doubt get drafted high as a result. Troy has probably played more through the midfield than his brother but as a forward is equally adept and dominant at u18 level. Troy is a highly productive midfielder/forward who stand out because of his awareness and decision making under pressure, is one of those players who is always composed and uses the footy well. Skill level excellent by both hand and foot. Athletically Troy is excellent with his combination of speed, agility and endurance which is very exciting. Even with this athleticism Troy doesn’t rely on it and is a really natural footballer rather than a pure athlete and because of this I see a strong future ahead of him at AFL level. Has also like Daniel showed great ability forward of centre and can hit the scoreboard as he showed during the u18 champs, great finisher around goal and like his brother is an excellent marking target. I suggest this is where he will start his career and with some luck hopefully he can work his way into a midfield rotation.

#12 GWS (Via St Kilda) – Aidan Corr (VIC – KPD/KPF)
Height: 194cm, Weight: 80kg, DOB: 17/05/1994
Style:
Player comparison: Tyson Goldsack
Range: 8-25
Profile: Key defender who has the ability to shut down but is probably more of a rebounding defender. Rebounding game above average and can set up play from the back half. Still to some extent Corr has the feel of a tall flanker when he plays and at this stage seems stuck between positions but hopefully as his body develops so does his game defensively. Corr is a long term project and still has a very slight build but with work could once he develops physically could become a solid key defender. Also has the ability to go forward where he can often present as a solid marking target. Has elite pace for someone his size and while he hasn’t been mentioned much on bigfooty expect him to go first round on draft day.

#13 Gold Coast (Via St Kilda Compensation Pick – for Goddard) - Josh Simpson (WA – Mid/Fwd)
Height: 183cm, Weight: 72kg, DOB: 09/02/1994
Recruited from: East Fremantle
Style: Lewis Jetta
Player comparison:
Range: 7-20
Profile: Simpson has been one of the more interesting prospects over the past few years moving from WA to SA in 2011 to make the state squad then back to WA this season. Simpson has great acceleration and on a wing can do some damage. Gets through traffic easily. Generally good ball user by both hand and foot and by foot is duel sided. Has nice penetration on his kick. Strong overhead. Still has a very lean build and I expect him to always be more of an outside player but I have been encouraged in the past with his attack on the ball and on the man despite his lean build. Has talent and while I think he will be rated very differently from club to club I expect a few clubs to be very keen to get someone with his talents on their list because of the special things he can do. Has only played colts football and doesn’t win enough of his own or find enough of the footy for my liking but when he does have it he does big damage. I’d like to see Simpson move to an SA club where he had such great success in 2011 but a move interstate in general is something I can see really benefiting him.

#14 GWS (Via Melbourne - Compensation Pick) - Kristian Jaksch (VIC – KPF/KPD)
Height: 194cm, Weight: 85kg, DOB: 07/10/1994
Recruited from: Oakleigh Chargers
Style: Matthew Pavlich
Player comparison:
Range: 8-17
Profile: Really promising key position player who can capably play forward or back to a high level. Really love the way his game has developed over the past few years and has continued to develop strongly this year and has quickly risen up most people’s draft boards quite substantially since this time last year. Jaksch is a strong mark overhead and is a real contested marking threat around the ground as well as up forward. Has very strong hands. Reads the play to a very high level and reads the ball in the air well. 1v1 more improvement needs to be made as he can’t push others around but this should be developed with time. At ground level for a key position player also very good. Jaksch is an elite field kick for a key position player and can lace out kick the ball to where the player wants it every time and is a genuine playmaker whether it be in the back half coming out of defence or whether up forward finding a his man executing kicks no key position player has the right to. Set shot goal kicking good. Athletically Jaksch is above average, has a solid leap but also moves really well with good pace and agility but he should develop into more of a power key forward or defender with his strong marking game. I’ve also been really pleased with his effort around the ground with his willingness to tackle for a key position player, it’s rare to see a player so willing to give 2nd and 3rd efforts and chase as hard as Jaksch does which is a credit to him. Has the body type where he should capably continue to grow out strongly. Jaksch while he will most likely develop into a key forward it is worth noting that he also looks very good down back and can be a big rebounding factor with his ability to read it well and marking with his ability to take marks off opposition kicks as well as winning 1v1 contests. There is great potential for development and Jaksch appears to be one of the best key position prospects this draft has to offer.

#15 North Melbourne - Mason Wood (VIC – Fwd/Util)
Height: 190cm, Weight: 78kg, DOB: 13/09/1993
Recruited from: Geelong Falcons
Style: Nick Riewoldt
Player Comparison:
Range: 15-45
Profile: Wood is a versatile, athletic overager who has played some really good footy this season. Very high level endurance runner. Has some talent to him and he can have a real influence on the game at times. Good finisher around goal and when given the chance can hit the scoreboard. Strong overhead. Ball use when working for him can be very good but still lacking some consistency at times.

#16 Geelong – Brodie Grundy (SA - Ruck)
Height: 202cm, Weight: 100kg, DOB: 15/04/1994
Recruited from: Sturt
Style: Peter Everitt
Player comparison: Todd Goldstein
Range: 3-18
Profile: Ruckman who has shown serious improvement over the past two years. Comes from a basketball background. Very athletic and has a huge leap, is already a high level tap ruckman who still can improve further in this area of his game. Consistently hits it to advantage and knows who’s at his feet. Strong mark overhead and can mark at the highest point but can miss some easier marks at times as well so in that regard needs to develop more consistency in his marking game. Also this year is starting to take some contested marks when he goes forward which is promising and has really improved his play forward of centre. Has a huge work rate. Another unique feature with Grundy is his ability at ground level and below the knees is very clean with his pickups. Skill level above average for a ruckman and has a nice long kick but still could develop more consistency. Can close out games strongly when the game is on the line and has that extra gear which I view as a real selling point and an aspect of his game that he can continue at the next level. This year Grundy has increased his contribution around the ground and is winning a lot more of his own ball which is a real positive. Additionally he has really built himself into a powerful unit and will be able to step into a ruck division and play from round one which will big for the club who draft him. Another thing I like with Grundy is that he is really willing to improve and will work hard with coaches to make his game better so I think Grundy will fulfil his upside and continue on his swift improvement. There have been some recent personality questions but with the way he has developed his game and from what I hear a real willingness to hit the weights room I wouldn’t read too much into this. Ready to play round one.

#17 Fremantle - Nathan Hrovat (VIC – Mid)
Height: 174cm, Weight: 76kg, DOB: 07/06/1994
Style: Sam Mitchell
Player comparison:
Range: 13-40
Profile: This guy just does everything so well and of everyone in this year’s draft would have to have the most complete and AFL ready game. Really lively, upbeat guy who will add positivity around any club and strong leadership. Strongly built small who attacks the ball hard and more often than not wins it. Very high production midfielder. Inside work is a highlight of his game, Hrovat is not just a ball winner but a great inside extractor and by hand always finds the right target. Gets his hands dirty and goes hard into contests and really thrives on the ground ball. Tackling ability excellent. Always composed with ball in hand. Linkup play good and while he will always be an inside player he can also get outside ball in addition to the inside ball. Has good penetration on his kick. By foot is very good and finds his targets in a variety of situations and it’s not just his work by hand that is excellent. Marking ability good and is a marking presence around the ground or up forward. Is willing to back into packs and is more than willing to get crunched. It’s a rare day Hrovat isn’t in the best 1-2 on the ground in any game at any level regardless of who is playing alongside or against him which is really encouraging and suggests that the consistency of performance will continue and that he has a strong routine in place. The drawback other than size with Hrovat is that his athleticism is only average and these are the only areas of his game where he doesn’t compare favourably to the highest rated midfielders this year but at the same time he still does have some ability to burst away from packs and be dangerous, additionally has a nice sidestep so I don’t see his pace as an issue but something I’m sure he will continue to improve. Endurance much better this year and I think with the way he really hunts the footy and once he increases his engine he can become an even higher level accumulator which is exciting. Looking at his improvement this year he has gone from a rookie prospect to a genuine 1st round prospect in a hurry and with that significant rate of improvement I predict further improvement to come. An absolute beauty and if his development this year is any indication still plenty of improvement to come and perhaps the next Sam Mitchell if things go right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back