Raymann

Club Legend
Apr 19, 2010
australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
GWS Giants
So what are the odds for GC, Bris & PA tanking to gain an additional early pick (priority). With the talent on offer will the 'tank' be back in the news?

Sep 22, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
if i'm not mistaken melbourne will not have to use their first selection on Viney, but they're next pick. pkus, Melbourne will have 3 first round picks in next years draft from the scully compensation

Melbourne would have to finish close to last if not last if they don't want to be forced to use that 1st overall selection on Viney. Just don't see it happening and at this stage anyway safe bet that he backs up his play from last year.

Hey Knightmare, what do you think of Cameron Banfield? Was a TAC Cup premiership player for Sandy.

Banfield has shown a bit over the past couple of years. Well in the mix to get drafted.

It's all about this year. Perform this year and he can get drafted.

Stewart has been doing his preseason with GC's Tom Lynch down at Sorrento/Blairgowrie. Saw one session at the Sorrento Oval where he was under the gudiance of McCrae, his kicking is unbelievable. He can kick with ease over 50 metres on both sides, as good as I've seen for a player of that size, he would easily be 196cm & competed well with Lynch.

Have to agree with you on Stewart's kicking, elite for a tall! Real selling point of his game.

Saw some clip of him some time ago with some impressive trick shots on goal. Clearly from a young age has put allot of attention into his kicking and has some fun with it which is never bad to see.

Stewart could do worse than have Tom Lynch as a training partner. Looks like he will be a really good pro (Lynch).

Last time I saw Stewart he still physically had a long way to go so that's encouraging to hear that he can compete with Lynch.

So what are the odds for GC, Bris & PA tanking to gain an additional early pick (priority). With the talent on offer will the 'tank' be back in the news?

Last year I really didn't rate Brisbane going into the season but this year I think they could finish somewhere in the 9-13 group. I see some improvement in that young group.

Certainly GWS, Port Adelaide and Gold Coast if they don't improve will be in that priority pick mix.

Raymann

Club Legend
Apr 19, 2010
australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
GWS Giants
Certainly GWS, Port Adelaide and Gold Coast if they don't improve will be in that priority pick mix.[/quote]

Knighta, i dont think GWS would qualify for a priority pick at the start of the draft (pick 1 or 2). My understanding is they would qualify for an end of first round priority pick (if they dont win 5 games).

Whereas GC, Bris & PA can still recieve a priority pick prior to the draft if they win less than 5 games this season.

TheOldXav

Cancelled
Sep 24, 2011
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
TheBlues
Have to agree with you on Stewart's kicking, elite for a tall! Real selling point of his game.

I think the major other selling point of his game is his athleticism. He would be 196cm & he covers the ground like a midfielder, I have heard he had to choose b/w field & track events for Scotch as he dominated most of them (against scholarship kids on athletic grants).

Sep 22, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
Certainly GWS, Port Adelaide and Gold Coast if they don't improve will be in that priority pick mix.

Knighta, i dont think GWS would qualify for a priority pick at the start of the draft (pick 1 or 2). My understanding is they would qualify for an end of first round priority pick (if they dont win 5 games).

Whereas GC, Bris & PA can still recieve a priority pick prior to the draft if they win less than 5 games this season.[/quote]

I think you are correct.

GWS are only entering their first season so I would be very surprised if they were eligable for that early priority selection.

jjami15

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 16, 2011
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Call me selfish but I would love to know all the KPP's that are in the mix. Happy to see Brisbane take mason shaw however is he in the mix to be a traceable player for GWS as per o'meara and crouch last year. lions's need a gun mid and the rest KPP'S in 2012.

Sep 25, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Awesome listing Knightmare - great work!

Couple of small points, the Bulldogs have already been on record saying we will have 5 of the first 50 picks in 2012. This therefore means we intend to activate:
  • Our Ward Compo pick (straight after our first pick); and
  • Our Reid Compo pick (third rounder).
Also, do you happen to have any idea as to who clubs would be looking to trade for in the 2012 GWS mini draft? I.e. who will be the O'Meara and Crouch of the 2012 draft?

If there are similar guns coming through, GWS may well end up with picks 3 and 5 in 2012, along with their presumed pick 1 from finishing 18th...

Sep 22, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
Call me selfish but I would love to know all the KPP's that are in the mix. Happy to see Brisbane take mason shaw however is he in the mix to be a traceable player for GWS as per o'meara and crouch last year. lions's need a gun mid and the rest KPP'S in 2012.

2012 will probably be more of a midfield draft.

With KPPs it's no good getting them late. The best ones come early in the draft. Take them late and you just get leftovers.

The main problem for clubs looking for KPPs this year is that many of those are likely F/S choices:
Joe Daniher, James Stewart. Heck even Jordan Burke (Gee) and Will Beasley (WBD) could go F/S.

But here are some of the other KPPs who could be reasonable gets and their approx draft positions:
Mason Shaw (1st round)
Liam McBean (1st-2nd round)
Aaron Luccon (2nd round)
Kristian Jaksch (3rd round)

Hopefully a few others develop through the year because there just isn't nearly the depth as there is in the mids at this stage.

My recommendation for Brisbane at this stage is get Mason Shaw or similar early because after that 1st selection there just won't be that quality available to you, then stock up on mids later. It's one of those drafts where you could very easily end up with a nice mid in the 2nd round with likely more than a couple of quality options available.

But it's so early that things are sure to change throughout the year.

Awesome listing Knightmare - great work!

Couple of small points, the Bulldogs have already been on record saying we will have 5 of the first 50 picks in 2012. This therefore means we intend to activate:
  • Our Ward Compo pick (straight after our first pick); and
  • Our Reid Compo pick (third rounder).
Also, do you happen to have any idea as to who clubs would be looking to trade for in the 2012 GWS mini draft? I.e. who will be the O'Meara and Crouch of the 2012 draft?

If there are similar guns coming through, GWS may well end up with picks 3 and 5 in 2012, along with their presumed pick 1 from finishing 18th...

I'm not going to include compo picks until much later in the year and all teams have confirmed which compo selection they will use. Allot of clubs will be using them this year, but for now I'm more interested in getting some discussion going about some of the 2012 prospects rather than getting a super accurate 2012 mock draft together - which at this time of the year just isn't realistic. Way too much football to be played and a number of players will come from nowhere and develop into serious draft prospects.

Jack Martin at this stage is one to look out for in that mini draft. Not clear who that other top guy will be though.

gotassieboys

All Australian
Jul 13, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
2012 will probably be more of a midfield draft.

With KPPs it's no good getting them late. The best ones come early in the draft. Take them late and you just get leftovers.

The main problem for clubs looking for KPPs this year is that many of those are likely F/S choices:
Joe Daniher, James Stewart. Heck even Jordan Burke (Gee) and Will Beasley (WBD) could go F/S.

But here are some of the other KPPs who could be reasonable gets and their approx draft positions:
Mason Shaw (1st round)
Liam McBean (1st-2nd round)
Aaron Luccon (2nd round)
Kristian Jaksch (3rd round)

Hopefully a few others develop through the year because there just isn't nearly the depth as there is in the mids at this stage.

My recommendation for Brisbane at this stage is get Mason Shaw or similar early because after that 1st selection there just won't be that quality available to you, then stock up on mids later. It's one of those drafts where you could very easily end up with a nice mid in the 2nd round with likely more than a couple of quality options available.

But it's so early that things are sure to change throughout the year.

I'm not going to include compo picks until much later in the year and all teams have confirmed which compo selection they will use. Allot of clubs will be using them this year, but for now I'm more interested in getting some discussion going about some of the 2012 prospects rather than getting a super accurate 2012 mock draft together - which at this time of the year just isn't realistic. Way too much football to be played and a number of players will come from nowhere and develop into serious draft prospects.

Jack Martin at this stage is one to look out for in that mini draft. Not clear who that other top guy will be though.

Nice work!

I have previously mentioned Josh Grant who will be in the Tassie Mariners U/18 side for 2012.

At 196cm (and growing) and an athletic build, this kid will be extremely high on the radar of all AFL clubs.

He can play ruck (would need a bit more height at senior level), however he has all the athletic traits and ability to be a KPP.

It might be slim pickings in the Apple Isle for the 2012 draft, but I would put money on him this far out (excluding injury).:footy:

NC23

Senior List
Jul 10, 2008
Australia
AFL Club
Essendon
I think the major other selling point of his game is his athleticism. He would be 196cm & he covers the ground like a midfielder, I have heard he had to choose b/w field & track events for Scotch as he dominated most of them (against scholarship kids on athletic grants).

Stewy's a good mate of mine, and yes his kicking is elite for such a big fella. In reference to an early post about videos about his trick shots, he unfortunately took the "Motlop" videos down. One to note was him kicking a 50m drop punt to hit a lamp post - he indeed nailed it. His left is just as good as his right I'd say - just casually roosts a 50m drop punt on his left when we're having a kick.

Works hard on his athleticism, runs the A relays in the house competition and does reasonably well against the actual track runners (much smaller than him).

The only thing I'll like about Collingwood.

Sep 22, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
Nice work!

I have previously mentioned Josh Grant who will be in the Tassie Mariners U/18 side for 2012.

At 196cm (and growing) and an athletic build, this kid will be extremely high on the radar of all AFL clubs.

He can play ruck (would need a bit more height at senior level), however he has all the athletic traits and ability to be a KPP.

It might be slim pickings in the Apple Isle for the 2012 draft, but I would put money on him this far out (excluding injury).:footy:

One player I'd be interested to hear about from Tasmania: Rohan Bones.

I have him down as a 200cm ruckman (probably taller now) and is a late December '94 birthday. Is another in addition to Lonergan, Grant and two or three others who could be of draft relevance - if he continues to grow and shows strong football development throughout the year.

Let me know if you see any of his games during the year or if you hear positive things.

gotassieboys

All Australian
Jul 13, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
One player I'd be interested to hear about from Tasmania: Rohan Bones.

I have him down as a 200cm ruckman (probably taller now) and is a late December '94 birthday. Is another in addition to Lonergan, Grant and two or three others who could be of draft relevance - if he continues to grow and shows strong football development throughout the year.

Let me know if you see any of his games during the year or if you hear positive things.

I have seen Rohan Bones play and there is certainly a bit to be interested about.

It will be interesting to see how he goes this year, as he played as an over age player in the U/16 Mariners in 2011.

My gut feel is he will need another year playing as an over age player in the Mariners U/18's in 2013. He was born late December 1994 so this coupled with his physical stature might mean he needs a little extra time to develop.

However if he has a good year in addition to his 200cm frame, it might mean he is in with a chance to be drafted in 2012.

WestCoastWizkid

Debutant
Jan 4, 2011
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Fantastic effort Knightmare!! Last night I was reviewing the 12 and under 2006 Victorian Schoolboys team that competed in the National Champs in Darwin and with interest discovered the following names:

> Lachie Whitfield
> Jack Viney
> Brad Crouch
> Nathan Hrovat
> Jonathan O'Rourke
> Joe Daniher
> Oliver Wines
> Jason Pongrasic
> Mathew Haynes
> Anthony Bonnadio
> Luke McDonald ( 2013 Draft prospect)

According to your mock draft most if not all should be drafted?? It looks like this will be a very deep draft??

Keep up the good work and I look forward to compare your current list to the end results.:thumbsu:

Raymann

Club Legend
Apr 19, 2010
australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
GWS Giants
Fantastic effort Knightmare!! Last night I was reviewing the 12 and under 2006 Victorian Schoolboys team that competed in the National Champs in Darwin and with interest discovered the following names:

> Lachie Whitfield
> Jack Viney
> Brad Crouch
> Nathan Hrovat
> Jonathan O'Rourke
> Joe Daniher
> Oliver Wines
> Jason Pongrasic
> Mathew Haynes
> Anthony Bonnadio

According to your mock draft most if not all should be drafted?? It looks like this will be a very deep draft??

Keep up the good work and I look forward to compare your current list to the end results.:thumbsu:

Nice pick up WK...

I think there was similar numbers for the 2001 superdraft (Hodge, Ball etc) who played under 12's for Victoria.

Sep 22, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls

> Lachie Whitfield
> Jack Viney
> Brad Crouch
> Nathan Hrovat
> Jonathan O'Rourke
> Joe Daniher
> Oliver Wines
> Jason Pongrasic
> Mathew Haynes
> Anthony Bonnadio

Good list. I don't follow them from that young, but certainly it is important for clubs to follow these prospects from a young age to get a feel for the way they are developing physically and in their football to get some idea of what they could add to their list when draft time comes around.

Luke McDonald for 2013 will likely go F/S to North Melbourne and should be a very good get for them.

All the 2012 boys mentioned are all well in the mix for this years draft with the majority of these likely early selections.

WestCoastWizkid

Debutant
Jan 4, 2011
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Nice pick up WK...

I think there was similar numbers for the 2001 superdraft (Hodge, Ball etc) who played under 12's for Victoria.

Thanks Raymann, we could have another superdraft in 2012????

I found this on a previous post:

Primary Ignition

Herald Sun (Melbourne, Australia) - August 27, 2005
Author: MIKE SHEAHAN

As good as the class of '96 is turning out to be, 1991 might have been even better. The team included Lance Whitnall, Trent Croad, Cameron Bruce, Damien Peverill and Nick Stevens.

IF THEY weren't wearing the Big White V, they would be just another group of whippersnappers. Little squirts with big hopes.

They are the 23 members of the Victorian Primary Schools Sports Association's under-12 football team of 1996.

They came together from all over Victoria, and they stand tribute to the great dream and the keen eye of those who watched a couple of hundred Grade 6 boys displaying their wares.

Recognise any of the faces? Luke Ball is easy, Cameron Cloke and David Fanning aren't hard to find, nor Luke Hodge.

Wait a minute, who's the tacker on the left of the front row? Isn't there's a hint of Ablett about him?

Yep, it's little Gazza.

What is staggering about this group is that 10 have played at AFL level, another is on an AFL rookie list and another was rookie-listed.

More than 50 per cent of a group of 11-year-olds has gone on to AFL level. Remarkable.

Two of them, Ball and Hodge, are likely to be All-Australian this year.

Teacher Terry Plozza, who was assistant coach of the 1996 team, said yesterday: ``It's quite extraordinary; you're looking at almost double the average.''

Those to play at AFL level are Ablett, Ball, Cloke, Fanning, Blake Grima, Hodge, Joel Macdonald, Luke Mullins and twins Adam and Troy Selwood.

Zane Leonard is rookie-listed at Collingwood, while Tom Lyons was a rookie at Geelong.

Others are playing in the VFL or VAFA, or in other states, including Nick Gieschen, son of AFL umpiring director Jeff.

Plozza, effectively chairman of selectors of the VPSSA team since 1989, said 86 boys from teams dating back to 1985 had gone on to be drafted by AFL clubs since the first crop became eligible 14 years ago.

The original group comprised Kent Butcher, Mark Mercuri, Joe Misiti, Richard Taylor, Jon Hassall and Craig Ellis.

It was coached by famed junior coach and former Collingwood rover Keith Burns.

Essendon coach Kevin Sheedy is a strong supporter of the primary schools team.

Plozza said Sheedy had presented the players with their jumpers every year other than one, mindful, perhaps of Essendon's rich harvest.

The Bombers have had Mercuri, Misiti, Gary Moorcroft, Dustin Fletcher and Damien Peverill come through the system.

As good as the class of '96 is turning out to be, Plozza says 1991 might have been even better.

The team included Lance Whitnall, Trent Croad, Cameron Bruce, Peverill and Nick Stevens.

Plozza said boys were nominated by their schools and then played in trials in Melbourne or regional Victoria.

He said management had been aware of the talents of Ablett, Ball and Hodge. The obvious with Ablett, less so the other two.

Ball's father, Ray, is a former Richmond and South Melbourne player, while Hodge's reputation preceded him. He was playing under-17 football in country Victoria at the age of 12.

``The thing about Ablett at the time was he just knew where the footy was,'' Plozza said.

``He backed himself to get round other boys, which not a lot of kids do at that level.

``When we're picking the team, we see whether they can win the footy, their pace, how clean they are (with their ball handling), and we like a mix of bigs and smalls.''

Ironically, the 1996 team lost the final to South Australia in a bog at Box Hill.

``Other teams have won the carnival and haven't had anywhere near as many boys go through.''

Plozza said boys matured at different ages.

He remembers a skinny, shy Cameron Bruce: ``Very immature body, but you knew he could play.''

He is unsure what happened to Denni Burgoyne-Turnbull , captain of the '96 team.

``I think he was related to Gavin Wanganeen. I have a feeling he went on to play with the Ballarat Rebels, but I've got no idea what he's doing now. He was a good player.''

Obviously, he was as captain of an exceptionally talented group.

Raymann

Club Legend
Apr 19, 2010
australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
GWS Giants
Westcoastkid - suprised Judd was not on the list???

Not sure we have a Ablett & Ball for this years list...

Strong group all the same.

Sep 22, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
I don't agree with Beasley getting picked up. I don't know whether you've seen him play but he's just not good enough.

Certainly up to this point Beasley doesn't look like a high selection. Not inside my top 50.

Still I never like to count out a rower. If you row you aren't soft. Beasley can take a grab and with a good year and if he develops strongly he could be a chance. Too early to count anyone out until we see some footy.

mattyc75

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 5, 2010
over here
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
,west perthgolden state warriors
does anyone know where waylon manson will be playing this year?Is he keen to give it another crack

If the Crows finished that low (hope not) I'd prefer Grundy or Shaw instead of Kennedy. Never seen Shaw or Grundy play, but a A-Grade ruckman to back up Jacobs would be handy to have. Shaw could replace Tippett (Again hope not)

Being a Glenelg supporter I have seen him quite a few times. The attributes are there, but his height and consistency worry me.

Sep 22, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
If the Crows finished that low (hope not) I'd prefer Grundy or Shaw instead of Kennedy. Never seen Shaw or Grundy play, but a A-Grade ruckman to back up Jacobs would be handy to have. Shaw could replace Tippett (Again hope not)

Being a Glenelg supporter I have seen him quite a few times. The attributes are there, but his height and consistency worry me.

Adelaide I'm a little back and forth on as to whether they'll make the top 8. Right now i've settled on them missing it by a couple of places. But Adelaide for me have been a more difficult team to place and with the development of a few key midfielders and less injuries could make the top 8.

Generally with my phantom drafts I usually make them as I see them going whereas my power rankings are where I would be willing to take them. If it was me selecting I would certainly select Shaw or Grundy first, the two best talls at this stage who aren't going through F/S.

Why I have Adelaide down for Kennedy at this early stage is because they showed big interest in Kennedy last year and very much considered him as that prelisted player. Also I see him as a nice fit with his potential to play through the forwardline or through the midfield. I don't necessarily mind that he is shorter because he wins allot of his own ball and has the tackling game to go along with his pace so there is enough to like.

Kennedy could slide down the order. Has been one of the best performed to this stage and I sense AFL clubs like him allot with his unbelieveable pace. Will just need to continue his development this year but we'll have to wait and see what he does this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back