Draft Watcher Knightmare's 2015 Draft Almanac

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey KM, What are your thoughts on Ben Jarman for this years draft?

Jarman looks draftable. Sub 180cm but has the skills and can offer the scoreboard impact. Might mid-late draft receive consideration as an early guess based off 2015 performance.

Can't believe how good Dunkley looked yesterday, completely different player from what I saw last year. Did he play like that in his underage year before he had his back injury? Super impressive. What'd you make of his game?

Can't believe how good Dunkley looked yesterday, completely different player from what I saw last year. Did he play like that in his underage year before he had his back injury? Super impressive. What'd you make of his game?

Didn't see the WBD game but the impression I get from preseason reports and looking at his stats from the game is that he is clearly over his back injury and back to being more like what he threatened from 2014 to develop into.

Did Dunkley play midfield or off a back flank out of interest?

As a midfielder in the juniors he looked very good (could win the good, extract and tackle like a machine) but on a flank his skills and lack of pace have made him look ordinary. Perhaps his game is evolving and improving. I'm yet to see him this season or v AFL standard competition so I might need some WBD fans to fill in the gaps for me.

Didn't see the WBD game but the impression I get from preseason reports and looking at his stats from the game is that he is clearly over his back injury and back to being more like what he threatened from 2014 to develop into.

Did Dunkley play midfield or off a back flank out of interest?

As a midfielder in the juniors he looked very good (could win the good, extract and tackle like a machine) but on a flank his skills and lack of pace have made him look ordinary. Perhaps his game is evolving and improving. I'm yet to see him this season or v AFL standard competition so I might need some WBD fans to fill in the gaps for me.

Played more forward/mid. His kicking looked fine but as you say he's tackling is a standout, laid a few big ones.

I reckon he might play some footy this year in the vacant Crameri role.

Played more forward/mid. His kicking looked fine but as you say he's tackling is a standout, laid a few big ones.

His.

Please I don't normally do this but that one just gets to me. The apostrophe makes it worse.

As far take Crameri role it will be taken Ling Jong same height and explosive pace !

Have missed judged 2 kids already from the last draft.

Saw Oliver play early last year and was shocking but on Sunday he showed he will be a star :).

Now I need to re- asses Dunkley was told by another senior player in January that he will be a star but after watching last year could not see it,but i have now seen him play a couple of times now and believe he is this years Ollie Wines just gets his own ball can kick goals and a player you build teams around..

So far this Draft is looking great for talent.

Milera
Weitering
Mills
Parish

Looks as good as any of the last 10 drafts

Have missed judged 2 kids already from the last draft.

Saw Oliver play early last year and was shocking but on Sunday he showed he will be a star :).

Now I need to re- asses Dunkley was told by another senior player in January that he will be a star but after watching last year could not see it,but i have now seen him play a couple of times now and believe he is this years Ollie Wines just gets his own ball can kick goals and a player you build teams around..

So far this Draft is looking great for talent.

Milera
Weitering
Mills
Parish

Looks as good as any of the last 10 drafts

We all make mistakes.

Dunkley who I loved this time last year, rating him probably top 5 back then was poor last year (due to injury) but has seemingly come along well this preseason and looks like he can have a strong career at AFL level.

Tucker it also looks early days like I'll need to put up my hand and say I evaluated wrongly with the early promise he is showing for Freo.

Surely a few of the mature agers also prove that they should have been rated inside all top 50s.

Further differences will come with games as happens every year.

Want to know your opinion on menadue? Has shown this nab cup he will be a good player. Also rarely turns the ball over either. based of what you have seen would you take him earlier then pick 33?

Want to know your opinion on menadue? Has shown this nab cup he will be a good player. Also rarely turns the ball over either. based of what you have seen would you take him earlier then pick 33?

I like Menadue and at his draft position I liked the value he represented on draft day. I would have been prepared to have paid something closer to pick 20 for Menadue depending on list needs. His one final in his draft year was just awesome, so he showed a glimpse that he can do it in big games. Light bodied, but has a big time burst of acceleration, a mean sidestep and excellent footskills - good penetration, has the decision making ability and high efficient. Can hit the scoreboard. Could be a higher volume ball winner and more of a contested ball winner, but if he adds those elements to his game he has the star qualities to be great, but without will struggle for consistency which is the risk with those lighter bodies types with x-factor.

I like Menadue and at his draft position I liked the value he represented on draft day. I would have been prepared to have paid something closer to pick 20 for Menadue depending on list needs. His one final in his draft year was just awesome, so he showed a glimpse that he can do it in big games. Light bodied, but has a big time burst of acceleration, a mean sidestep and excellent footskills - good penetration, has the decision making ability and high efficient. Can hit the scoreboard. Could be a higher volume ball winner and more of a contested ball winner, but if he adds those elements to his game he has the star qualities to be great, but without will struggle for consistency which is the risk with those lighter bodies types with x-factor.
Sounds about right so you yourself think he is better off bulking up to play midfield rather then a wing or half back?

Sounds about right so you yourself think he is better off bulking up to play midfield rather then a wing or half back?

Wing/half forward was his best role based on his junior days. Half back certainly possible and something he can do given his pace and footskills.

Even playing on a wing or flank though I do see winning the contested ball as something he'll need at AFL level.

It's one thing to have the ability to do damage with ball in hand, but you also need to be able to find it.

I'm not seeing Menadue finding the ball as easily as a Gaff/Macrae etc on the outside, so I feel he does need that contested/uncontested ball winning ability balance to reach his potential as my main concern is he may not a method of finding enough of the footy at AFL level.

Size is something Menadue will need, but the question that may determine how good he can become is how he'll go maintaining his pace and agility as he puts the size on his frame.

At 187cm he ideally being an athletic type makes it into the 85-90kg range and maintains his athleticism. But we'll have to wait and see a couple more seasons as to what his body will look like and whether that is a possibility.

Wing/half forward was his best role based on his junior days. Half back certainly possible and something he can do given his pace and footskills.

Even playing on a wing or flank though I do see winning the contested ball as something he'll need at AFL level.

It's one thing to have the ability to do damage with ball in hand, but you also need to be able to find it.

I'm not seeing Menadue finding the ball as easily as a Gaff/Macrae etc on the outside, so I feel he does need that contested/uncontested ball winning ability balance to reach his potential as my main concern is he may not a method of finding enough of the footy at AFL level.

Size is something Menadue will need, but the question that may determine how good he can become is how he'll go maintaining his pace and agility as he puts the size on his frame.

At 187cm he ideally being an athletic type makes it into the 85-90kg range and maintains his athleticism. But we'll have to wait and see a couple more seasons as to what his body will look like and whether that is a possibility.
Certainly some high potential there

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What do you think of Pelchens STAR concept KM? Could you see yourself getting involved in something like that?

In reading the article now I like the concept and feel it will only aide AFL clubs in their decision making and help ensure the best young talents find their way onto AFL lists.

I wouldn't discount any opportunities.

Hi knightmare when are doing a phantom draft for this year if you have time ?

No deadline at this time.

I'll post an update in this thread if I'm going to be posting some draft content here or elsewhere at some point this season.

But at this time I'm yet to decide as to whether I will start up another phantom draft thread this year.

I'll still be watching junior footy and be attending games, and may a few days before the draft post my power rankings but at this stage I can't commit to anything for this season at this point in time.

I'll post an update in this thread if I'm going to be posting some draft content here or elsewhere at some point this season.

But at this time I'm yet to decide as to whether I will start up another phantom draft thread this year.

I'll still be watching junior footy and be attending games, and may a few days before the draft post my power rankings but at this stage I can't commit to anything for this season at this point in time.

You know you won't be able to help yourself :p

I can't help it if Collingwood draft the best young talent ;)

In saying that WBD I'll concede upfront have been every bit as good in recent years at picking young talent through the draft.

I might have to start up an Ask Knightmare thread or something along those lines on the Draft+Trading board if I don't get a 2016 draft thread happening.

Best midfielder from 2010-2015. It's a toss-up between Bontempelli and Wines for me at this stage. I'd probably lean towards Bontempelli of the two with Wines coming in more the developed and Bontempelli more the rapid riser who on upside may have the relatively further growth to come, as a late bloomer.

Who would I pick first from 2010-2015? Jesse Hogan for sure. As a key forward managing 44 goals and 134 marks! That's unheard-of special. I'd also be inclined to pick Jeremy Cameron ahead of Bontempelli and Wines.

As for a top 50. Just spent 20min putting this group together and unless I'm going to spend several hours comparing stats by ages/positions etc this is a decent enough rough but still probably pretty good top 50 from 2010-2015:

1. Jesse Hogan
2. Jeremy Cameron
3. Marcus Bontempelli
4. Oliver Wines
5. Patrick Cripps
6. Dyson Heppell
7. Jacob Hopper
8. Clayton Oliver
9. Tom Lynch (GC)
10. Joe Daniher
11. Brodie Grundy
12. Jake Stringer
13. Darcy Moore
14. Jordan De Goey
15. Isaac Heeney
16. Luke Parker
17. Tom Liberatore
18. Brad Crouch
19. Angus Brayshaw
20. Callum Mills
21. Chad Wingard
22. Jack Darling
23. Jacob Weitering
24. Tom McDonald
25. Dylan Shiel
26. Adam Treloar
27. Harley Bennell
28. Andrew Gaff
29. Dion Prestia
30. Jackson Macrae
31. Jake Lever
32. Harris Andrews
33. Jack Martin
34. Stephen Coniglio
35. Tom Mitchell
36. Luke Dahlhaus
37. Lachie Neale
38. Jeremy McGovern
39. Elliott Yeo
40. Bradley Hill
41. Cameron McCarthy
42. Tom Boyd
43. Paddy McCartin
44. Christian Petracca
45. Jack Billings
46. Jamie Elliott
47. Brodie Smith
48. Marley Williams
49. Jaeger O'Meara
50. Taylor Adams
Credit where it is due Knightmare, you may still be wrong but you put yourself out there and you beat almost everyone to the Oliver bandwagon. He has only played some NAB cup but you won't be the only one rating Oliver very highly anymore. Love your work.

Credit where it is due Knightmare, you may still be wrong but you put yourself out there and you beat almost everyone to the Oliver bandwagon. He has only played some NAB cup but you won't be the only one rating Oliver very highly anymore. Love your work.

I have great confidence in Hopper, Oliver, Weitering and Mills for a reason (rating each best 25 players from 2010-2015) even before debuting because I have that level of confidence in their games based on what they showed as juniors. From a production standpoint they have the performances on the board and they also critically have the right mix of attributes to not only translate to AFL play but allow them to become dominating players respectively at the level. Hopper and Oliver are contested ball winning beasts. So is Mills and he finds an even higher volume of the footy. And Weitering is the most advanced key defender for his age we've seen, and with a late year birthday and with his rapid growth and improvement he also is sure to be big time, as his form already suggests.

Watching Oliver through the preseason is just a continuation of the great work he showed us through the second half of 2015. Melbourne have a ripper.

I do hope you will grace us with your opinions. Always an informative read.

Hey Knightmare,

firstly, hope you manage to find the time for some Phantom work this year. Love reading your work and insights. You've inspired me to have a crack this year!

Just a quick question on one of last years draftees - Darcy Parish. I know you thought him a nice player but also had some concerns over some aspects of his play. With his NAB game v Carlton and now round 1 performance against GC, what are your current thoughts?

Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back