Draft Watcher Knightmare's 2016 Draft Almanac

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
My AFL Draft review is up on ESPN as per the link: PhoenixBonez listed on this page.

Solid enough draft. Particularly Carlton's first two choices.

LeBois not a bad choice as a rookie either.

Rothan can kick 50m, maybe 55m but not the 60m+ a Hurn can.

A good draft by Richmond. As above, see the link provided by PhoenixBonez for a full review.

Spoiler: Richmond drafted well.

I'd take Allsop over Melbourne's two national draft selections and three rookie draft selections.

Allsop is a seriously dangerous forward. He's as good as LeBois who Carlton took with pick 5 in the rookie draft. Freakish ground level player if there is one in this draft.
His missed out on the rookie and i also think melbourne even passed up on him as a cat b rookie. Youd think somethings up but from all reports around dandenong (as im an avid supporter) his a great kids with no troubles. Just a bit of badluck i guess :(

Knight, I think the Lions need to add more midfield depth unless they view Berry as a mid. Scharenberg is an obvious option, but what other Midfielders would be a good pick at #2 in the rookie draft?
Seems they do see Berry as a mid..
http://www.lions.com.au/news/2016-11-25/2016-draft-wrap

Lions Recruitment Manager Steve Conole said: "We are really excited with what this group of young players offers - they have a range of skills through the midfield and around the flanks. We targeted some run and skill and we think we certainly got that."

Morrish Medallist Hugh McCluggage leads the list of selections at No.3, a midfielder with silky skills and rear vision.

His North Ballarat teammate Jarrod Berry was picked at No.17, another midfielder with great athleticism and competitiveness, a high work ethic and leadership potential

Geelong product Alex Witherden came to the Lions with Pick No.23, the half back considered one of the best kicks in the draft, with his poise a standout quality.

Opinion on Norths rookie draft? Not sure about Zurhaar but Junker looks likely. What is it that's held Taylor back? His highlight reel is terrific.

Do you still rate Clarke at 18 and think he can become a good player at the next level? Have my doubts on his kicking, agility and pace

Hey km can you tell me the strengths and weaknesses of lienert and ladhams? Cheers

Lienert is a mature age key defender from the SANFL. Strong 1v1, mostly winning 1v1 contests and sometimes taking 1v1 marks. Very strong bodied at 195cm, 98kg. Can also to some extent play forward. Weaknesses are relatively he is not super athletic or much of an endurance runner.

Ladhams is a decent ruckman through the u18s. Capable enough forward and can take some marks. Mobile enough and finds some ball around the ground. Ok tap ruckman though not as advanced here as some of his peers. Overall solid in each of these areas though overall not exceptional in any of them which is one of the queries.

His missed out on the rookie and i also think melbourne even passed up on him as a cat b rookie. Youd think somethings up but from all reports around dandenong (as im an avid supporter) his a great kids with no troubles. Just a bit of badluck i guess :(

Allsop is one I really strongly hope continues his footy. He is so talented at ground level. He just needs more time developing.

Would love to see Dandenong have him back as a top ager and for Allsop to have a big preseason. He's a real talent who could make a lot of clubs regret passing on him.

How would Aishs draft year compare to Mccluggage's?
Is there any similarities besides light frames?

Aish was solid in his draft year, but was throughout his whole junior career really.

The major different is Aish played a lot of senior state league footy at SANFL League level. McCluggage by contrasted played U18s only (TAC Cup). As a result, McCluggage's numbers are much higher and on another level.

McCluggage is for me the better talent. Other than light frames I don't see the similarities. McCluggage is the more skilled, better ball winner inside/outside, better runner, more damaging player who does more damage forward of centre.

do you rate stengle? Cheers

Stengle I feel was worth the rookie choice. Good pressure player who is good at ground level. Potentially developable and the type you look at in that range.

Opinion on Norths rookie draft? Not sure about Zurhaar but Junker looks likely. What is it that's held Taylor back? His highlight reel is terrific.

Zurhaar provides run and can play fwd/back.

Junker can also play anywhere and is a very strong mark overhead.

Taylor is a pretty good user and runner from the back half.

All have about the production you'd look for in the rookie draft behind them.

All potentially developable players and North probably had in my view one of the better rookie drafts.

Taylor relatively is fairly one way as an offensive player - not a lock down type down back or super strong 1v1 or overly accountable, fairly outside and not much of a contested ball winner. But has some attributes and the numbers on the board, good disposal efficiency and drive he creates are all pretty good.

Do you still rate Clarke at 18 and think he can become a good player at the next level? Have my doubts on his kicking, agility and pace

As per my final power rankings I had Clarke at 20 (see page one).

Kicking, agility and pace are questionmarks, but with production on the board, contested ball winning capabilities and endurance. I think he'll be fine. Not a star, but can be a component to a midfield as a ball winner is my though.

So Knightmare it's 359 days (give or take) to the 2017 draft ! Any handle on first round (or top 10) yet. Particularly interested in Adelaide F/Son prospect Jackson Edwards

My 2017 draft preview (top 20) with brief profiles will be up either tonight or tomorrow on ESPN.

Edwards is one of that 20 I make mention of.

Speaking of the 2017 draft Knights I'm sure you covered the next batch sometime during the year for espn but try as I might I can't find it through searches and links

In my 10 burning questions piece and through my various weekly wraps I make mention of the 2017 draft prospects.
Of the weekly wraps the Shai Bolton piece and the Ben Ainsworth piece are also good pieces if you want more of the 2017 draft prospects with the U17 Exhibition Match and Vic Metro Futures v Vic Country Futures matches respectively spoken about at length.

2017 draft preview (my top 20+profiles) coming either late tonight or tomorrow to ESPN.

When did we pass him up?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My 2017 draft preview (top 20) with brief profiles will be up either tonight or tomorrow on ESPN.

Edwards is one of that 20 I make mention of.

2017 draft preview (my top 20+profiles) coming either late tonight or tomorrow to ESPN.
The kid that really impressed me the most of the under agers I saw play against the Rebels here this season was Ethan Penrith....hope he got a mention?? ;)

The kid that really impressed me the most of the under agers I saw play against the Rebels here this season was Ethan Penrith....hope he got a mention?? ;)

Love Penrith's game.

You'll have to wait and see. ;)

He is not a consensus top 20 player and one I'd have 15-25 if I was to do my power rankings for 2017 today.

Hey km, just a couple questions regarding Sean Darcy. I was extremely pissed off when we drafted him, not because I wasn't happy with drafting him more so because it was with our 2nd pick. My question is where did you see him getting drafted? We're there any other teams keen on him that you know of? I hope he becomes a good player because we have up a future second for him :drunk:, thanks

Hey km, just a couple questions regarding Sean Darcy. I was extremely pissed off when we drafted him, not because I wasn't happy with drafting him more so because it was with our 2nd pick. My question is where did you see him getting drafted? We're there any other teams keen on him that you know of? I hope he becomes a good player because we have up a future second for him :drunk:, thanks

As per my phantom draft I had Sean Darcy going to Sydney with the 83rd and final pick in my phantom draft (see page one).

He wasn't the worst selection in the draft. He's someone in my power rankings had I extended out beyond 40 who would have fit probably 50-60ish which is higher than some of those taken before him.

I understood several teams were considering Darcy, but my prediction going into the draft was he would fit late/rookie.

Once in the 40s if someone projects to go in that range, it's a mild but not huge surprise.

Sean Darcy is one who could either way. If he puts the work in and loses the weight, he could be long term piece.

Rayner and Penrith are two to watch next year. Not as well known as names like Higgins, Worpel, O'Brien or Garner as of yet but very talented.

Agree with you.

Rayner is a gun.

Have heard little talk (particularly about Penrith) but keep finding myself impressed with the games I see him play. I suspect when more watch him next year that he'll instantly become a fan favourite.

Sam Hayes, Jaidyn Stephenson and Joel Garner.
Already looking strong from Eastern Ranges.

Very very hard to tell Sam and Jaidyn apart.

Also, I hope there's a leading candidate for the No. 1 pick for next year.

No clear number one at this stage.

Open to interpretation.

Of those Eastern boys, Hayes would be one of those in the mix.

Brander is a popular choice.

Ballenden could be up there.

O'Brien and Clark may be two others in the conversation who aren't talls.

No clear number one at this stage.

Open to interpretation.

Of those Eastern boys, Hayes would be one of those in the mix.

Brander is a popular choice.

Ballenden could be up there.

O'Brien and Clark may be two others in the conversation who aren't talls.

Nah, Ballenden is a flat track bully who has relied on being larger than everyone else coming up. He'll be found out and fall down to a late second, early third round pick in his draft year.
;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back