Draft Watcher Knightmare's 2017 Draft Almanac

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hey KM, are you expecting Bonar, Naughton and Murphy to be top 10 selections on friday? Or do you think some of them will go later.

Gday KM. Brett Anderson has Will Powell, Lachlan Smith and Ben Sloan being taken in the ND. Could you provide some detail about the strengths and weakness of these guys?

If Stephenson does drop to Adelaide's pick, I'm going to very bitter about the Charlie Cameron trade.

Some might feel that way, but I'd actually take Charlie Cameron of the two. He's one of the best pressure forwards in the game and is a proven commodity. Stephenson is still a questionmark until he makes it and his heart issues also are a further concern.

Hey KM are Carlton still into Tim Kelly at pick 30? Or will he likely be gone by then? If so would it be a reach for Carlton to take Worpel at 30?

I suspect Carlton and others are interesting in Kelly around pick 30. I'm expecting he goes either to WCE or North Melbourne in the early 20s.

Worpel probably doesn't quite go as high as pick 30, but with that said, I believe he would at 30 represent solid value, as a ready-to-go midfielder who can provide a strong physical presence around the contest.

Hi KM what number do you think Lennon will go at? Cheers GG.

Rookie draft chance.

Hey KM, are you expecting Bonar, Naughton and Murphy to be top 10 selections on friday? Or do you think some of them will go later.

Murphy probably 10-15, but an outside chance to sneak into the top 10. Naughton 5-15. Bonar somewhere around 10 as another 5-15.

So Balta is your Reece McKenzie's?

Where you rate them as top 5 Talent but be Mid 2nd Rounder at Best

Balta will go somewhere around pick 20. He's not dropping into the late portion of the draft.

Like McKenzie (who had the ability to be the best key forward in his draft), Balta similarly has the scope to be this years best key position player.

Gday KM. Brett Anderson has Will Powell, Lachlan Smith and Ben Sloan being taken in the ND. Could you provide some detail about the strengths and weakness of these guys?

Will Powell played WAFL Colts. Don't believe he was on the WA U18 list to be selected for the U18 Champs. Not one I've sited that I'm aware of.

Lachlan Smith is a previous Collingwood rookie. Not particularly memorable, struggling in his one season where he spent the season in the VFL side. He's now 24 years old and it sounds like one or two clubs believe he is now ready-to-go. He's a medium sizer at 190cm who can play either end, either as a leadup forward or medium defender who plays a balanced offense/defence game.

Ben Sloan I haven't seen much of, but he's a medium sized (189cm) who plays mostly as a flanker at either end. A Brisbane Academy player. Seems a good athlete and is a strong mark.

I like the look of Tristan Xerri maybe late or rookie.Got some good traits and had a good year.

He's inconsistent, but he does have the traits and has his moments. Big boy, capable mark i50 who can draw the ball and clunk it at times.

Zac Bailey goes from outside the top 30 to #12 on the back of watching a video?

I don't understand why power rankings should ever change significantly after the season is over. Clubs may be swayed by how the players interview, but not on their performances on the field from months ago. Only reason is if you hadn't seen a player before.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't understand why power rankings should ever change significantly after the season is over. Clubs may be swayed by how the players interview, but not on their performances on the field from months ago. Only reason is if you hadn't seen a player before.
Especially changes as drastic as these, it's all over the shop. Constable jumps massively and Worpel suddenly disappears despite being highly ranked before.

Especially changes as drastic as these, it's all over the shop. Constable jumps massively and Worpel suddenly disappears despite being highly ranked before.

The cynic in me wonders whether the talk of Bailey being in the 15-20 mix played a part. Whereas Worpel is projected to go later.

The cynic in me wonders whether the talk of Bailey being in the 15-20 mix played a part. Whereas Worpel is projected to go later.
Yeah, but to be fair you could tell from his u17 form that Worpel was a very poor AFL prospect. Junior football guru who's traits don't translate well. Better to realize now and drop him rather than sending a final ranking off with a big error.

Last edited:
The above didn't come off as i would have liked it to. I appreciate what these bigfooty phantom drafters do immensely. KM has been at the forefront for years and does a terrific job. He like everyone else will sometimes make poor judgments, just like he and everybody else will be influenced consciously or subconciously by other opinions. Everyone tries to not to be and some are better than others, but I don't begrudge KM for having a change of heart no matter what the motivation.

Last edited:
Yeah, but to be fair ypu coulf tell from his u17 form that Worpel was a very poor AFL prospect. Junior football guru who's traits don't translate well. Better to realize now and drop him rather than sending a final ranking off with a big error.

Worpel is one of the prospects most ready to go straight away in season 2018 and his major flaws can be honed by a good coaching staff. Whoever gets him with their second or third round selection will be bloody lucky

Worpel is one of the prospects most ready to go straight away in season 2018 and his major flaws can be honed by a good coaching staff. Whoever gets him with their second or third round selection will be bloody lucky

Agree regarding his body and readiness for the physicality of AFL footy. I just simply believe he isn't good enough and won't make it. I thought the same about Rhys Mathieson though when everybody raved about him and he's proving me wrong somewhat. That's the beauty of projecting forward, so much can change.

Agree regarding his body and readiness for the physicality of AFL footy. I just simply believe he isn't good enough and won't make it. I thought the same about Rhys Mathieson though when everybody raved about him and he's proving me wrong somewhat. That's the beauty of projecting forward, so much can change.

Fair point, but what makes you think he's got less chance of making it than any of the other dozens of kids who don't look as made for senior footy as Worpel?

I'm not just on here sitting around answering questions. I've re-watched the U18 Championships and various other games I've been able to get tape of, over the last few weeks in the leadup to the draft. Given the games were played in June/July, a refresher was wise, given those outside Victoria I felt like gaining a refresher on to consolidate my views on various prospects.

As per my rationale upon re-watching the U18 championships, I reviewed my position on Bailey. His play was absolutely outstanding doing freakish things no others were doing while still having the production and contested side of his game down to a high level.

Knightmare, do you see Naughton's kicking being a big issue or do you think it will get better once he's at an AFL club?

It's not ideal, but by position I don't find it concerning as I would if he played elsewhere. He's not the first key defender who came into the system a poor kick - Alex Rance, Tom McDonald, Harry Taylor etc.

You've got Rayner ranked at 1 but he's issues are Endurance set shot goal kicking and kicking in general why is he rated so highly

Impact and elite traits that allow him to dominate games. He's a high volume contested baller who will dominate you up forward with his 1v1 strength, ground ball winning and explosiveness. And when he pushes through the midfield, he'll dominate at stoppages, winning first possession and winning the clearance. No one in this draft has a game-changing impact as often in this draft as Rayner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back