Draft Watcher Knightmare's 2017 Draft Almanac

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, if Fremantle end up with a top 5 pick, who do you think they would be best off taking? I like Brander and balta, but Hayes has also interested me, can he play as a key forward who plays part ruck? Or is he a ruck that can play part forward? I really like the look of Stephenson and Fogarty, both look like guns.

Hi Knghtmare..just thoughts on some players I saw on the weekend; Hogan (Gippsland), D Henderson (Pioneers) Schumacher (Pioneers) Mosquito (Gippsland)
Mosquito is part of our academy I believe, so we get 1st dibs on him.

Hi Knghtmare..just thoughts on some players I saw on the weekend; Hogan (Gippsland), D Henderson (Pioneers) Schumacher (Pioneers) Mosquito (Gippsland)

Hogan has some real power. Strong bodied and has terrific acceleration. Contested baller. On the short side. But draftable.

Henderson is a high production mid and was last year also. Wins a lot of it inside the contest. Kick needs to improve.

*Actually made mention of both in this weeks column as it happens.

Schumacher is another productive mid for Bendigo and another who can win it inside.

Mosquito I don't know much about. Bottom ager. True to his name he is a small at 174cm, 66kg. First two matches was quiet but last round was much better with an impressive 8 inside 50s and two score assists. May be a small forward to track next year.

Hey Knightmare what is your opinion of 2018 prospect Ben King from the Sandringham Dragons.

Like him a lot. Both brothers.

Max may be the best key forward next year. Ben the best key defender next year.

Both look like first round choices already.

Knightmare a good wrap in ESPN ...

for future wraps (the SANFL - U18s / colts) keep an eye on Mitchell Mead from WWT as he is the son of Port Adelaide Darren Mead (and a possible Father son pick) Darren Mead was the first Port player to play 100 games (in 2001)

in round 1

Mitchell Mead had 22 disposals, 5 tackles, 2 inside 50s and 3 goals for WWT (Woodville West Torrens) in the U18s

(Mitchell has a younger brother Jackson)

Knightmare do you know anything about Mosquito?

Draft eligible next year. Plays forward. 174cm, 68kg.

Hey, if Fremantle end up with a top 5 pick, who do you think they would be best off taking? I like Brander and balta, but Hayes has also interested me, can he play as a key forward who plays part ruck? Or is he a ruck that can play part forward? I really like the look of Stephenson and Fogarty, both look like guns.

A key forward ideally.

Brander is ideal. Otherwise whoever else has a strong year and continues their improvement.

Balta hasn't started great after a strong finish to 2016, perhaps he picks things up from here.

Hayes has been terrific and remains terrific. He could be in the mix.

Coleman-Jones has the performances on the board but may drop down the order some.

Fogarty is excellent. Definite consideration.

Stephenson isn't a key forward. He's talented but not someone I'd consider top 5. He doesn't have the strong hands overhead or the strength or midfield capabilities. Lots of people are overrating him. He's more pick 20 than pick 2 for me.

Hey Knightmare do you know what the weather is like on the weekend?

I only care about the weather tomorrow. As long as the weather stays ok for the Vic Metro v Vic Country trial games. That's what matters weather-wise this weekend.

Hogan has some real power. Strong bodied and has terrific acceleration. Contested baller. On the short side. But draftable.

Henderson is a high production mid and was last year also. Wins a lot of it inside the contest. Kick needs to improve.

*Actually made mention of both in this weeks column as it happens.

Schumacher is another productive mid for Bendigo and another who can win it inside.

Mosquito I don't know much about. Bottom ager. True to his name he is a small at 174cm, 66kg. First two matches was quiet but last round was much better with an impressive 8 inside 50s and two score assists. May be a small forward to track next year.

Like him a lot. Both brothers.

Max may be the best key forward next year. Ben the best key defender next year.

Both look like first round choices already.
Thanks mate... Where do you see them in draft calculations?..if at all.

Thanks mate... Where do you see them in draft calculations?..if at all.

All chances but none of them would be in my first two rounds at this stage. Hogan with more impactful games would be the closer of that group for me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

KM. Swans could end up with 2 first rounders if Zak Jones decides to leave. With a glaring need of a key defender and some classy ball users, who are 2 that the Swans could take this draft?

Also, what are your thoughts on Charlie Spargo? Had a cracking last year but seems to have started slowly this season.

Knightmare do you know anything about Mosquito?

Saw Mosquito today. Small indigenous looking lad. Quick. Lively. Loved his pressure. He has something.

He's bottom age and short and small, but needs another year of development before he becomes an impactful player at TAC Cup and U18 level.

KM. Swans could end up with 2 first rounders if Zak Jones decides to leave. With a glaring need of a key defender and some classy ball users, who are 2 that the Swans could take this draft?

Also, what are your thoughts on Charlie Spargo? Had a cracking last year but seems to have started slowly this season.

Are there rumours of Jones wanting out? He looks like a long term player for Sydney, though I'm not convinced he gets Sydney a return of x2 first round selections going off draft history where clubs consistently overrate the value of picks.

Spargo is productive and lively but small and footskills are below average. He's highly regarded with some even saying he should go first round, but I'm not as high on him as others are and view him more as appropriate for selecting in the latter part of the draft or as a rookie.

Saw Mosquito today. Small indigenous looking lad. Quick. Lively. Loved his pressure. He has something.

He's bottom age and short and small, but needs another year of development before he becomes an impactful player at TAC Cup and U18 level.

Are there rumours of Jones wanting out? He looks like a long term player for Sydney, though I'm not convinced he gets Sydney a return of x2 first round selections going off draft history where clubs consistently overrate the value of picks.

Spargo is productive and lively but small and footskills are below average. He's highly regarded with some even saying he should go first round, but I'm not as high on him as others are and view him more as appropriate for selecting in the latter part of the draft or as a rookie.

It's not that Jones wants out, but he is out of contract, making us Swans fans a bit nervous.

It's not that Jones wants out, but he is out of contract, making us Swans fans a bit nervous.

Sign him up pronto if possible would be my advise. He'll only get better. And he's very good already.

His market hasn't peaked, so moving him now would not be at all wise. He's only going to improve now that he has matured and started to come into his own.

Knight are do you have any info on Mitchell Mead?

Traveling_Power in post 160 mentions Mead. I'd defer to his expertise for more info as I'm yet to see him.

Mead's stats in round one were strong - again see post 160. So I'll be tracking him as a player of potential interest.

Thanks KM, I agree with you one would expect Silvagni and Brodie to target GWS , that's understandable with young excellence such as Kelly, Hooper, Kennedy, Smith and probaly a few more to shed he's forgiven for going back to the honey pot.
My dream player thought is Fogarty , last year it was SPS and we got him .
I hope we can land Darcy will be great addition to Cripps.
Go Baggers
I'm with you BM. Fogarty should be our priority. Think we are well served with talls at both ends of the ground.

Knightmare who should Geelong target in this years draft

It's a good draft for key forwards and with Geelong needing a key forward, that would be what I'd be after. Maybe a Callum Coleman-Jones or Noah Balta if there as a key forward.

They'd be my first thoughts.

Hi knightmare what mids are gonna go top 5 185 and over with some pace and clean skills?

Darcy Fogarty, Cameron Rayner, Luke Davies-Uniacke and Lochie O'Brien are the names to watch for early as mids. O'Brien is the shorter of those at 184cm and the more outside of the group. Skills on all of them and pace pretty good to their varying degrees.

Darcy Fogarty, Cameron Rayner, Luke Davies-Uniacke and Lochie O'Brien are the names to watch for early as mids. O'Brien is the shorter of those at 184cm and the more outside of the group. Skills on all of them and pace pretty good to their varying degrees.
Cheers mate, where do you see roughly hawthorn finishing and would any of these suit the saints needs as some real midfield class with line breaking pace?

Cheers mate, where do you see roughly hawthorn finishing and would any of these suit the saints needs as some real midfield class with line breaking pace?

My projection of Hawthorn reduces each week. I'd have them finishing around 15th if I have to guess today. They're finishing well down the ladder, so you're ending up with a terrific pick.

All of those I mentioned would suit St Kilda for different reasons. Rayner and I'd say the same of Fogarty can have an impact up forward and push into the midfield and have a great impact. Both are bigger bodies but still move well and can do damage. They're more your contested ballers.

Davies-Uniacke is more athletic, another who can win it in the contest, pretty good ball user also.

Then O'Brien is more your outside accumulator who can still win enough contested ball but is more your genuine runner/kicker.

In deciding the best fit and who represents the best available selection, I'd continue watching before making a conclusive choice, but I'd go best available.

Increasingly I'm feeling it's Rayner. Less for list fit reasons as much as I feel he has game-changing potential.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back