Draft Watcher Knightmare's 2018 AFL Draft Almanac

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
A 6.56 2km time trial the week before the draft says he's got work to do to be a full time AFL midfielder from the get go. Rayner played zero midfield this season.

Rayner went into the centre square on occasion toward the end of the year.
Although he would have been in there for the clearance before rotating back to the forward line.

Hi KM,
I'm interested in your thoughts on how you value the top 6/7 picks in this draft and your views on the Saints.

You've mentioned previously it would take about 3 first round picks for you to have traded out pick 1 in this draft. How much value would you have placed on one of the the remaining top 6 picks if you were to trade in to or out of those picks this year if you were a list manager?

I've been interested in St Kilda's progress (or lack of) over the past 5/6 years and I seem to be more pessimistic than most about where they finish season 2019. I'd say they still have another 3 years to go before reaching the top 8 but see some strong recent positives towards their future after having hired the likes of Ratten and O'Shaughnessy in the past couple of months.

Some saw the Saints as one of the winners of the 2013 and 2014 drafts having picked up Billings, Dunstan and Acres in the top 20 and young KPP prospects in McCartin and Goddard the following year. These guys have all had 4-5 years in the system now and should be starting to show signs yet, in my view, Billings has only shown flashes of brilliance and hasn't strong a strong performance over at least half a season yet, Acres has issues with consistency and the others just haven't come on as expected with Goddard getting delisted. What's your take on these players? Do you believe it's more of a development issue for these players, character issues, not having enough senior mentors in place, wrong players drafted (which you've mentioned about McCartin) something else?

Really liked the top end this year.

Lukosius is the best prospect from my time analysing the draft. Any year, he's my pick 1. Whatever pick I know I can get Lukosius, it's not a pick I would give up unless something radical was offered. Rankine would be in that top 5 conversation from my 10 years following the draft - he's another I'd be seriously uncomfortable offering up. Smith and Walsh that next group down and up there with the most elite of those top picks with Smith ahead - they're all in that Coniglio/Shiel etc company on quality and would require that kind or better currency to have gotten from me. Max King better than a lot of the recent early draft KPFs (better than McCartin/Wright at time of draft, loads better than Schache). Blakey, B.King and Caldwell that next group down and would all be in the top 5 mix for me in any given year on my draft board depending on the year. That's how special the very top end is. It's a year where I've never been as high on the very pointy end.

Saints this draft? Should have taken Smith for mine, but M.King is still good. Bytel a good mid but not sure of the fit. Like the mature age flavour. Wilkie I can see earning games at the highest frequency of the new ones.

As a club where St Kilda stand. Not want you want to hear, but in terms of young core groups, the bleakest in the competition. Max King can be a great i50 target. Gresham good. Coffield and Hunter can be long term pieces. Paton/Clavarino/Bytel may develop. Otherwise you've got those born 1995 and earlier where we pretty well know who they are. So it's probably not unfair to suggest St Kilda's drafting hasn't been great.

My projection of St Kilda in 2019 is 16th/17th, and more likely 16th behind Carlton. A lot of veteran leadership has been lost in a hurry which I feel hurt in 2018 and I'm not sure where the talent is coming from to elevate St Kilda ahead of anyone other than Gold Coast and maybe Carlton - though I'm leaning towards Carlton passing St Kilda.

I like the Ratten and O'Shaughnessy signing also. Good experience. They're gains.

Billings - and it's a similar story with a lot of Saints. He was a MUCH better kick as a junior. I'm not even talking in general play, but on set shots. I feel like kicking has been the club's major weaknesses with Membrey another top of mind to have regressed in front of goal after initial success. Billings I feel is AFL standard and a good piece, but he's not pushing to be a top 50 midfielder or one of the better forwards as he would reasonably have been expected to. He has work to go. Can get better, but hasn't come on as expected. Same issue with so many.

Dunstan hasn't improved as much as expected. He's much the same as he was year one. Acres has taken some positive strides, but he's one of few. Steele I like, same with Ross. But the midfield needs more pizzazz which wasn't found in Bytel who is more of the same type.

McCartin I didn't regard anywhere close to the best in his draft. I had him at 5 in my power rankings that year - behind Petracca/Brayshaw/Heeney/Moore. I feel he was taken too high - with his health concerns too great to take so early - though it's been all the concussions and injuries which have done the harm and preventing him from becoming anything relevant which is a shame. Goddard I liked that year, but I probably shouldn't have getting sucked too much into his athletic profile and genes. He's too shutdown first and not enough of an intercepter by position and a bad choice I've learnt from.

It feels like it's been a combination of poor talent ID, poor player development and somehow players becoming worse kicks in the St Kilda system.

The only positive from recent years I can award the Saints is their opposition talent ID - particularly with recycled players. Membrey and Robertson coming to mind. It's very rare those delisted types become anything and St Kilda have taken two of the better ones from recent years.

Not really getting the A rating given to Essendon or Adelaide.
  • Essendon drafted a small Indigenous lad who not even Hawthorn rated that high and nothing else of note except a "bargain" defender.
  • Adelaide drafted a couple of guys that not even you ranked that highly.
  • Eagles get a B+ for a bit of a meh effort.

A 'D' rating for Carlton pretty much laughable and pages and pages of talk on the drafting of Carlton in this forum cover this topic.

Noah Gown (21 in my power rankings) goes pick 60.

Imagine any club getting someone so late who is so high on their draft board? It's one of those 'can't believe they're still here' situations. He's the best KPP taken outside the first round.

Adelaide go well for Butts as a rookie and for their trading. Get two second rounders for one from GWS. Hit the trade jackpot with a trade securing Carlton's 2019 first round pick. That's what sees them rank so highly.

West Coast are another who fit in the smart trading basket. Moved their 2019 third round pick up for Sydney's 2019 second rounder. Received two second rounders in their exchange with Gold Coast. I like Cameron and Williams. Had they nailed their first two picks based on my ratings they would have ranked a lot higher.

A 6.56 2km time trial the week before the draft says he's got work to do to be a full time AFL midfielder from the get go. Rayner played zero midfield this season.
Rayner ran a 7.57 just before the draft to show his endurance. Constable was more than 8min. Just under 7 minutes would be closer to average for a mid.

Rayner attended the second most centre bounces after Patty Dow

Hi KM

Where do you see the dogs finishing this year?

This past year through necessity played the youngest playing 22 since the days of GWS starting up.
There was a massive clean out of oft injured/unmotivated players: Dahlhaus, Biggs, Redpath, Adams, Roughead, C Smith, Collins.
West will push Wallis for the mid sized forward position and B Smith may not play much senior footy while building his tank (my 3rd ranked player this year but isn't ready to play in a team that wants to be older and win now (coaches words)). English to play most of the year as first ruck, while Picken & Libba will be the other obvious additions to the first team.

Possible 22:
Morris Cordy Crozier
JJ Naughton Wood
Macrae Bont Hunter
McLean Schache Picken
Gowers Boyd Greene
English Libba Dunkley
Williams Wallis Trengove Richards

Emg: Young Daniel Cavarra West Smith Lynch Suckling Lipinski Dickson

Hi KM

Where do you see the dogs finishing this year?

This past year through necessity played the youngest playing 22 since the days of GWS starting up.
There was a massive clean out of oft injured/unmotivated players: Dahlhaus, Biggs, Redpath, Adams, Roughead, C Smith, Collins.
West will push Wallis for the mid sized forward position and B Smith may not play much senior footy while building his tank (my 3rd ranked player this year but isn't ready to play in a team that wants to be older and win now (coaches words)). English to play most of the year as first ruck, while Picken & Libba will be the other obvious additions to the first team.

Possible 22:
Morris Cordy Crozier
JJ Naughton Wood
Macrae Bont Hunter
McLean Schache Picken
Gowers Boyd Greene
English Libba Dunkley
Williams Wallis Trengove Richards

Emg: Young Daniel Cavarra West Smith Lynch Suckling Lipinski Dickson

Outside the top 8, but how far outside is the question.

I love the way the Dogs drafted. Bailey Smith is better than Sam Walsh (and is good enough to be a round one starter and if healthy makes the Dogs better right away) and West I also like and can see contending for a position. Cavarra can contribute, he can kick a Greene or someone else out of the front half. Hayes potentially also can find a role.

I have some really different best 22 ideas compared to what you have above. Young, Daniel, Cavarra, Smith, Suckling would all be in my best 22 with probably Greene, Cordy, Gowers, Crozier and Morris missing out.

Ask me today, somewhere around 15th is the probable finishing position - probably of Carlton/St Kilda/Gold Coast. Brisbane should be better going off the way they played through the second half of the season - Hodge has driven them forward in a big way and I see that young core coming on in a hurry the way they looked. Fremantle creating a legit front half are a lot more threatening. They're the teams the Dogs would be hoping to do better than.

Outside the top 8, but how far outside is the question.

I love the way the Dogs drafted. Bailey Smith is better than Sam Walsh (and is good enough to be a round one starter and if healthy makes the Dogs better right away) and West I also like and can see contending for a position. Cavarra can contribute, he can kick a Greene or someone else out of the front half. Hayes potentially also can find a role.

I have some really different best 22 ideas compared to what you have above. Young, Daniel, Cavarra, Smith, Suckling would all be in my best 22 with probably Greene, Cordy, Gowers, Crozier and Morris missing out.

Ask me today, somewhere around 15th is the probable finishing position - probably of Carlton/St Kilda/Gold Coast. Brisbane should be better going off the way they played through the second half of the season - Hodge has driven them forward in a big way and I see that young core coming on in a hurry the way they looked. Fremantle creating a legit front half are a lot more threatening. They're the teams the Dogs would be hoping to do better than.

Personally I think any team that has 18 year olds making their team better, to be a bottom 4 team. I see us without the list clogging injured/unmotivated players, as a top 8 team. Competition for spots & a senior core who focus on training and teaching, is much better than playing early picks.
We should be passing Bombers, North, Port, Swans, Cats, Crows and keeping ahead of Freo & maybe the Lions (who should make the 8).

I would have preferred more senior state league players to have been added to the list. We lucked out getting Smith & West but the others are average at best. Really would have liked to have traded picks to Carlton for those state league players they had access too. Big Big missed opportunity.

Hoping our drafting shifts to 2-3 juniors (almost entirely F/S & academy) & focus on trades &/or senior state league players. Much more likely to get us a flag, than more picks that take years to come good.

I guess beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. I'm not suggesting Lukosious will be the next Jack Watts as some recruiters have speculated no far from it I think he will be a gun but to call him the best prospect of the last 10 years is a bit over the top. The majority of the recruiters and insiders I have spoken to clearly have Sam Walsh as the clear standout in his draft class and the best midfielder to come through the system,while you ranked him at 4 so there is a difference of opinion but I do respect your work Knightmare

I feel Clark will be solid. He's probably not at star. But I see him as a long term player. He's the one clear best 22 guy from that group long term. Brownless I feel is solid late and probably should have received more attention/interest. I consider him developable and a possible long term player.

Jarvis and Kennerley I'm not as high on. Jarvis is an ok but not outstanding medium forward, Kennerley a productive outside type, but he's very outside and not super damaging.

I don't personally rate Fort ahead of Smith. He's one I'm looking at more as depth than best 22. I would have much rathered a Tom Nicholls from Gold Coast during the trade period if after an immediate ruckman down the depth charts.

Atkins is puzzling with Geelong's midfield it's strength. I don't hate him as a prospect, I'd have thought other mature agers as position fits made more sense with Atkins that pure inside type Geelong don't need more of right away.

I would have loved to have seen Geelong go early on Cavarra/Hore/Wilkie and grab the likes of Pickett/Marsh/Schloithe/Maguire/Bolton as some immediate players who could have slotted straight into Geelong's senior side. I just don't feel the right types were recruited.

Geelong may have the best, best 10 or best 15 in the competition, but that last 7 just isn't good enough. That's where these types who can slot straight into Geelong's best side would have come in for mine. I'm just not seeing it with this group. Noah Gown might have been after that first selection that other exception as a young KPP who I look at as a high probability to make it choice in the second half of the draft - given Geelong's better KPPs are ageing.

--
To compare Hawthorn's draft. It's not about where you're picking or how many guys will make the grade, but how much value was acquired based on my own rankings a club acquired. Outside of Clark, I prefer Hawthorn's additions to those Geelong added. Walker I consider developable and Greaves and Koschitzke I feel are of solid value where they were picked also.

You're presuming though that geelong is still in "win now" mode. Do you think they would have drafted differently if Scott had not been extended until 2022? Genuinely interested.

That's what I'm suggesting.

Bugg is one where if he gets games, you're probably struggling. Goddard doesn't rebound/intercept enough and is something like a Jack Frost equivalent for those who have seen much of him either for the Pies or Lions as that athletic shutdown back who can provide depth but isn't a best 22 type on a team going anywhere.

O'Dwyer I was surprised to see drafted and don't rate.

Silvagni is another I probably wouldn't have drafted and certainly not in Carlton's position. Perhaps more a rookie for a team in need of a KPP he might have been more appropriate.

By mature age players, I'm not talking recycled.

Fasolo and Newman were traded for and are fine because they can be best 22 players, or in the case of Fasolo if healthy.

I'm not down on Carlton's trading strategy. I am to the extent that some players were brought in who I don't believe are best 22 standard, but guys like Kennedy last year (who I think will improve), Setterfield this year. Good gets.

I just don't like the drafting strategy or talent ID through the draft - particularly late. Late Carlton aren't identifying talent and are (wrongly) going the recycled route for players who offer no best 22 value.

Regarding the strategy to stock up on KPPs. I disagree with the theory. If you're a bad team, you're getting early pciks, and with early picks, you will find some years the best available player is a KPP - so that's when you go get them when they're that clear best available and are clear best 22 on your list. Otherwise go get your mids/best available talents. Never skimp on getting the best player there early.

If I review any club, I'll similarly surmise what I feel the club is doing well/isn't as with Carlton.

I'm not here saying Carlton have no future. I like the young core group and the club's best 10-15. There is potential for growth and I feel like Carlton will grow year on year with the core there. Just as with any club, I can't compliment every element with regard to the way they go about things because all clubs have their weak points/processes/methods I won't fundamentally consider optimal.

It's all relative value.

Essendon got an 'A' because they took Gown. I also like their selection of Ham who through much of the first half of the season was more influential than Walsh for Geelong with his play in the front half.

Lukosius is the outright best talent in this draft. I see him playing and doing well from season one, even as a KPP.

Weitering I feel can become the best key defender in the competition. He's no joke. He just hasn't come on as quickly as I expected.

Re. 16 clubs taking Walsh first. That is an incorrect assertion. At least one club had Max King first. More than one other club had Rankine and at least one liked Lukosius.

I don't see McGovern as a difference maker either way. Adelaide don't lose much, Carlton don't gain much.

Personally I think any team that has 18 year olds making their team better, to be a bottom 4 team. I see us without the list clogging injured/unmotivated players, as a top 8 team. Competition for spots & a senior core who focus on training and teaching, is much better than playing early picks.
We should be passing Bombers, North, Port, Swans, Cats, Crows and keeping ahead of Freo & maybe the Lions (who should make the 8).

I would have preferred more senior state league players to have been added to the list. We lucked out getting Smith & West but the others are average at best. Really would have liked to have traded picks to Carlton for those state league players they had access too. Big Big missed opportunity.

Hoping our drafting shifts to 2-3 juniors (almost entirely F/S & academy) & focus on trades &/or senior state league players. Much more likely to get us a flag, than more picks that take years to come good.

State leaguers are smart late/rookie with good ID. It's a nice way to fill those vacant positions with guys who can play those roles right away.

Dogs can always aim for those teams.

The competition is so wildly open that just about anything can happen. Sides finishing outside the top 8 winning the flags/getting to grand finals.

Anyone can win. There is no top dog.

I guess beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. I'm not suggesting Lukosious will be the next Jack Watts as some recruiters have speculated no far from it I think he will be a gun but to call him the best prospect of the last 10 years is a bit over the top. The majority of the recruiters and insiders I have spoken to clearly have Sam Walsh as the clear standout in his draft class and the best midfielder to come through the system,while you ranked him at 4 so there is a difference of opinion but I do respect your work Knightmare

Absolutely I'm in a minority to have Lukosius at 1, and I'm on an island with how much more highly I rate Lukosius than anyone else.

I'm fine with that.

You gets some calls right, you get some calls wrong.

You just have to back yourself in.

I've made more good calls on those first few picks than I have bad historically, so it's a wait and see situation as with any prospects.

I'm just as a Lukosius fan really bummed out to see him going to Gold Coast. Just seeing how much they've struggled to develop talent. They made entirely the right recruiting decision. But it's the only situation - and same goes with Rankine where I'm not confident he fulfils his upside.

If he went to Carlton or anywhere else, I feel like he'd every bit meet the wildest of my claims. Just having that untaggable Nick Riewoldt running and patterns with the hurtfactor on his kicking. He can be unstoppable.

You're presuming though that geelong is still in "win now" mode. Do you think they would have drafted differently if Scott had not been extended until 2022? Genuinely interested.

I'm not sure it is or should be all about Scott. Having Ablett, Selwood and Dangerfield all on the same list, I'd be feeling an obligation to build a winning team to them rather than to Scott. Right now there is no great team that can't be beaten. Geelong are one of 12 teams that can if things go right go all the way.

My personal view is Geelong should have gone more aggressively down the mature age route, getting some undervalued commodities during the trade period and not delisting Menzel. I see a particularly strong best roughly 15, but after that the drop off is substantial and what for mine has seen Geelong underwhelm recently.

What a lot of recruiters aren't paying attention to is the mid-late 20s guys in the state leaguers. Need a mid/fwd. Go get Haiden Schloithe. Need a mid - inside/outside. Go get Jye Bolton. Need a ball winning mid who hits the scoreboard - go get Mitch Grigg. etc.

In this draft the two I felt for Geelong would have been fantastic were Marty Hore and Callum Wilkie as defenders. Grab a Ben Cavarra as a small forward - although just snapped up before Geelong's second choice. A Jon Marsh or Tyler Keitel as a KPP. Marlion Pickett who can be placed anywhere. There are a lot who looked like really good list fits who can plug and play. They're types Geelong could have benefited from adding. And it's not like they're one year loaners, they're medium term prospects which is completely fine.

Hi Knightmare,

Just on this discussion, you had:

- Mosquito at pick 58, Essendon took him at 38.
- Noah Gown at pick 73, Essendon took him at 60.
- Brayden Ham not being drafted at the ND, Essendon picked him at 72.

Based on your rankings I’m surprised with the A rating. Particularly when they could have added Bytel or Curtis Taylor at 38. Would appreciate your thoughts.

State leaguers are smart late/rookie with good ID. It's a nice way to fill those vacant positions with guys who can play those roles right away.

Dogs can always aim for those teams.

The competition is so wildly open that just about anything can happen. Sides finishing outside the top 8 winning the flags/getting to grand finals.

Anyone can win. There is no top dog.

Absolutely I'm in a minority to have Lukosius at 1, and I'm on an island with how much more highly I rate Lukosius than anyone else.

I'm fine with that.

You gets some calls right, you get some calls wrong.

You just have to back yourself in.

I've made more good calls on those first few picks than I have bad historically, so it's a wait and see situation as with any prospects.

I'm just as a Lukosius fan really bummed out to see him going to Gold Coast. Just seeing how much they've struggled to develop talent. They made entirely the right recruiting decision. But it's the only situation - and same goes with Rankine where I'm not confident he fulfils his upside.

If he went to Carlton or anywhere else, I feel like he'd every bit meet the wildest of my claims. Just having that untaggable Nick Riewoldt running and patterns with the hurtfactor on his kicking. He can be unstoppable.

I'm not sure it is or should be all about Scott. Having Ablett, Selwood and Dangerfield all on the same list, I'd be feeling an obligation to build a winning team to them rather than to Scott. Right now there is no great team that can't be beaten. Geelong are one of 12 teams that can if things go right go all the way.

My personal view is Geelong should have gone more aggressively down the mature age route, getting some undervalued commodities during the trade period and not delisting Menzel. I see a particularly strong best roughly 15, but after that the drop off is substantial and what for mine has seen Geelong underwhelm recently.

What a lot of recruiters aren't paying attention to is the mid-late 20s guys in the state leaguers. Need a mid/fwd. Go get Haiden Schloithe. Need a mid - inside/outside. Go get Jye Bolton. Need a ball winning mid who hits the scoreboard - go get Mitch Grigg. etc.

In this draft the two I felt for Geelong would have been fantastic were Marty Hore and Callum Wilkie as defenders. Grab a Ben Cavarra as a small forward - although just snapped up before Geelong's second choice. A Jon Marsh or Tyler Keitel as a KPP. Marlion Pickett who can be placed anywhere. There are a lot who looked like really good list fits who can plug and play. They're types Geelong could have benefited from adding. And it's not like they're one year loaners, they're medium term prospects which is completely fine.

Thanks for the insight KM, certainly makes sense for the cats to do what has kept them in touch with guys like Kelly and Stewart. There was certainly a huge amount of list turnover. It'll be interesting to see who gets a guernsey first

Hi Knightmare,

Just on this discussion, you had:

- Mosquito at pick 58, Essendon took him at 38.
- Noah Gown at pick 73, Essendon took him at 60.
- Brayden Ham not being drafted at the ND, Essendon picked him at 72.

Based on your rankings I’m surprised with the A rating. Particularly when they could have added Bytel or Curtis Taylor at 38. Would appreciate your thoughts.

No team had perfect picks all-around.

Everyone passed on Sydney Stack. And he's no scrub. He may be the most talented of this year's WA prospects. For mine he's better than Hill, and while lower probability than Clark seeing him place lower in my power rankings, he's a more damaging and talented player.

Only Gold Coast from my draft board at 2 and 3 had two consecutive best available's from my draft board. Western Bulldogs credit also for Smith then matching West cheaply as moves I would also have made.

That's about as close as I can give any club to 'getting every choice right.'

I don't judged good drafts based on my phantom draft but instead my power rankings - which reflects how highly I personally rate talent.

Gown is one of that steals of the draft for mine. 21 in my power rankings. I only hedged last minute on having him inside my top 20. He's the best KPP outside the first round and for mine should have gone somewhere close to 20 than certainly 60 on performance and improvement.

Mosquito I don't hate the selection of. He has role playing potential. In the late 30s most are low probability anyway. He's someone at least unlike a lot of others I wouldn't say no to drafting.

Brayden Ham is the same as Mosquito though for mine a little better. His first half of the season was sensational. Playing on the same Geelong Falcons team as Sam Walsh, Ham for much of the first half of the season was the star of that team and the most influential towards winning. Hitting the scoreboard, finding i50 targets. Every touch of his, he did substantial damage. Second half of the season he got thrown around. But he's a selection I felt was appropriate for selection late.

Essendon get into the positive this year with me for Gown which elevates them substantially, but also the other picks I don't consider to be bad ones.

Ham and Mosquito are top 80 power rankings types, and with around 20 of those mature agers and a lot of them not picked with clubs ignoring a lot of those ready-to-go mid 20s types. That's not terrible. Most other teams would have a lot more selections a lot further down my rankings.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No team had perfect picks all-around.

Everyone passed on Sydney Stack. And he's no scrub. He may be the most talented of this year's WA prospects. For mine he's better than Hill, and while lower probability than Clark seeing him place lower in my power rankings, he's a more damaging and talented player.

Only Gold Coast from my draft board at 2 and 3 had two consecutive best available's from my draft board. Western Bulldogs credit also for Smith then matching West cheaply as moves I would also have made.

That's about as close as I can give any club to 'getting every choice right.'

I don't judged good drafts based on my phantom draft but instead my power rankings - which reflects how highly I personally rate talent.

Gown is one of that steals of the draft for mine. 21 in my power rankings. I only hedged last minute on having him inside my top 20. He's the best KPP outside the first round and for mine should have gone somewhere close to 20 than certainly 60 on performance and improvement.

Mosquito I don't hate the selection of. He has role playing potential. In the late 30s most are low probability anyway. He's someone at least unlike a lot of others I wouldn't say no to drafting.

Brayden Ham is the same as Mosquito though for mine a little better. His first half of the season was sensational. Playing on the same Geelong Falcons team as Sam Walsh, Ham for much of the first half of the season was the star of that team and the most influential towards winning. Hitting the scoreboard, finding i50 targets. Every touch of his, he did substantial damage. Second half of the season he got thrown around. But he's a selection I felt was appropriate for selection late.

Essendon get into the positive this year with me for Gown which elevates them substantially, but also the other picks I don't consider to be bad ones.

Ham and Mosquito are top 80 power rankings types, and with around 20 of those mature agers and a lot of them not picked with clubs ignoring a lot of those ready-to-go mid 20s types. That's not terrible. Most other teams would have a lot more selections a lot further down my rankings.
Would you back Richmond in to get the best out of Stack or is he too much of a lost cause?

Would you back Richmond in to get the best out of Stack or is he too much of a lost cause?

I give Richmond a chance in helping Stack develop into a valuable AFL footballer.

In talking to WA people - he worked to earn his position after missing game one of the u18 champs and he balled from that first game throughout the series. He may need tough love at times, but put him on a good club with a good culture and I'm not writing him off.

I give Richmond a chance in helping Stack develop into a valuable AFL footballer.

In talking to WA people - he worked to earn his position after missing game one of the u18 champs and he balled from that first game throughout the series. He may need tough love at times, but put him on a good club with a good culture and I'm not writing him off.
Thanks for the response.

What AFL player do you think he resembles the most in terms of playing style? He looks like an inside mid with good evasiveness but does not appear to be overly quick.

Thanks for the response.

What AFL player do you think he resembles the most in terms of playing style? He looks like an inside mid with good evasiveness but does not appear to be overly quick.

Evasive. Quick. Has the skill. Hard. Wins it. etc. See October Power Rankings for full bio - found on page one.

Reminds me a bit of Sam Petrevski-Seton. He's not as advanced and won't impact at AFL level right away as SPS has, but his game has a similar feel and similar talent if you've seen much of him.

Happy to revisit this conversation at the bye. But still it will require a few years to determine if Carlton's pick of Stocker compared to Adelaide's future first is a win or a loss. I just cant accept a D rating for a team that added an extra firs round pick rated very highly to go along with Walsh the best midfielder in the draft according to most. I know you rated Bailey Smith BUT I see him spending more time as a forward early in his career. And he doesn't have the smarts or leadership of Walsh. Plus the rumours that have come out late about him.
Bailey smith doesn’t have the smarts compared to Walsh? Would love to know what that’s based on.

Any chance SOS will get credit for his 2017 future trades with Adelaide, western bulldogs and Geelong.

ADE 2nd —> 12th
GEE 3rd —> 8th
DOGS 10th —> 12th

SOS will only get credit when Carlton rise from the bottom four. Surely as Carlton fans, you guys expect results rather than microwins on moneyball trades?

There’s no reason why Adelaide won’t continue to flounder with an aging list while losing McGovern.
Adelaide losing McGovern is about as relevant as Carlton losing Cam O'Shea. Neither were in their side's best 22 by the end of the season.

The list is basically built.
Really? Setterfield aside, you guys are no better than you were in 2018. Add to that, Silvagni overlooked a generational forward prospect with an engine as good as any under 18 I've seen since Nick Riewoldt, in favour of the third best midfielder in the draft.

But let’s just rate it a D (and Essendon am A) just for the click bait.

I think Chris' reputation is far above clickbait stories. Shame on you.

I don't disagree with a lot of that.

But answer me this...if Carlton had decided they wanted to trade the 2019 R1 why didn't they do it during the trade period? They would have got much more in picks for it then than say picks 10 and 19 (which is what their draft night trade will probably turn out to be and why it's baffling). Even if trading it is a good idea you want to get the maximum value for it that you can which they haven't.

Someone with good info on the port board had mentioned Carlton’s 2019 1st round pick could get tied into a trade somewhere during trade period several times.

SOS will only get credit when Carlton rise from the bottom four. Surely as Carlton fans, you guys expect results rather than microwins on moneyball trades?

Adelaide losing McGovern is about as relevant as Carlton losing Cam O'Shea. Neither were in their side's best 22 by the end of the season.

Really? Setterfield aside, you guys are no better than you were in 2018. Add to that, Silvagni overlooked a generational forward prospect with an engine as good as any under 18 I've seen since Nick Riewoldt, in favour of the third best midfielder in the draft.

I think Chris' reputation is far above clickbait stories. Shame on you.
1. McGovern played defence in Adelaide’s last game.
2. Docherty? Kruezer? Williamson? The worst injury list in the afl in 2018. Won’t improve us adding McGovern Newman fasolo Walsh and stocker.

1. McGovern played defence in Adelaide’s last game.
2. Docherty? Kruezer? Williamson? The worst injury list in the afl in 2018. Won’t improve us adding McGovern Newman fasolo Walsh and stocker.

Think a few clubs could lay claim to
GC had 23 players to chose from by the end of the year (and scrimshaw was the one who missed out)
GWS were destroyed by injuries
Collingwood was pretty publicised although don't think it was as bad as us or GWS

Not sure Williamson gives you guys a huge boost.

Think a few clubs could lay claim to
GC had 23 players to chose from by the end of the year (and scrimshaw was the one who missed out)
GWS were destroyed by injuries
Collingwood was pretty publicised although don't think it was as bad as us or GWS

Not sure Williamson gives you guys a huge boost.
Totally agree. We had a lot of players getting games that shouldn’t of and we’re only in the list to cover for injury or develop the kids around them in the VFL. Our 23-28 year olds were mostly rubbish. Our kids missed more opportunity to develop for their as they were injured most of year. Williamson is an example. Playing 10+ games indebut season. Great kick out of backline along with docherty.

We had nearly 20 players spend time in our back 6 compared to 2017 we had 9. Our defence was strength as we scrapped games every week and we were hard to score against without strong team zone. Then it turned to s**t with O’Shea, mullett, Shaw, Rowe (off an ACL) games.

It’s not highly publicised but a lot of Carlton players shouldn’t of been playing as they had injuries costing them performance and our medical and fitness department was rubbish. This has been fixed and woththe addition of Andrew Russell opppsotions will see s very different Carlton round 1 and throughout 2019. I’d say 11-12 changes to the starting 22 is very much a possibility on last game last year.

I know you like to troll all things SOS/Carlton for a little giggle here and there, but I doubt even you would be silly enough to believe the above comment.

Adelaide rated McGovern - as indicated by signing him to a long term deal on decent coin only a year earlier.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back