Draft Watcher Knightmare's 2018 AFL Draft Almanac

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's a question for the floor:

Who are the most HYPED draftees we've ever seen?

My memory doesnt go back too far but my list would contain

Tom Boyd, Tom Scully, Jack Martin, JOM

Lukosius is easily on the list obviously. He's easily the most hyped (perhaps rightfully so) draftee we've come across i think
Watts must be on that list.

Jonathon Patton was described by all and sundry as a Jonathan Brown clone and, early on, pencilled in as the No. 1 pick.

Going back a few years before, Bryce Gibbs, Adam Cooney, Brett Deledio and Brendon Goddard.

Marc Murphy's main talk was whether he'd be the No. 1 pick or a Brisbane F/S pick.

I remember reading about Jackson Trengove being a certainty in the top 10 until he was Port's 2nd pick and 22nd overall.

Lukosius is easily on the list obviously. He's easily the most hyped (perhaps rightfully so) draftee we've come across i think
Bryce Gibbs was the outright number 1 pick his year. Remember the two bottom teams playing for the Bryce Gibbs Cup.

Jonathon Patton was described by all and sundry as a Jonathan Brown clone and, early on, pencilled in as the No. 1 pick.

Going back a few years before, Bryce Gibbs, Adam Cooney, Brett Deledio and Brendon Goddard.

Marc Murphy's main talk was whether he'd be the No. 1 pick or a Brisbane F/S pick.

I remember reading about Jackson Trengove being a certainty in the top 10 until he was Port's 2nd pick and 22nd overall.

Patton had to get over 2 knee reco's by age 21, that makes a serious difference to being able to reach his full potential.

Hey Knightmare, watched stingrays vs chargers today. What are your thoughts on Matthew Cottrell? He looks like a beast. Was super impressive, by far the best player out there. I reckon it was the most dominant game by a mid that I’ve seen in the TAC.
Why do you think he isn’t playing in the championships for the Vic Country team?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So today was obviously a once off game then?

Can’t read too much into TAC atm. Dandy missing probably 8-10 of their best side. Second tier players stand up and get more time and a bigger role. Take it with a grain of salt basically.

I clearly remember the Kreuzer Cup in 2007.

Hi KM, is there anyway that the Pies can get Lukosius?
If the Blues finish last SOS has a habit of recruiting volume rather than excellence. I feel they might be gettable with a trade however the Crows would hold all the cards I’d imagine.
If the pies got say pick 16 from the swans for Moore and we managed to snare Lynch as a FA would the following stack up?
Our first round pick 2018, 2019, ( pick 16 2018 from the swans ) and a player say like Greenwood .
The Blues are in a position of needing a mini Rebuild so 3 x first rounders albeit late ones plus a senior player gives them a fair start.
What do you think it would take for the Pies to get the no 1 pick ?
I just feel we have a good list that is relatively young and if we managed to get Lynch and Lukosius, Quaynor, Kelly from this Draft we would be ok having nothing for 2019 draft.

Won't be easy.

Potentially something like the clubs 2018 and 2019 first round picks packaged with Taylor Adams as a high level mid who is still young enough and will bring a potential future captain to the table is what would need to be offered to get a Carlton or Brisbane realistically listening.

Jack Martin, David Swallow, Jon Patton, Thomas Boyd, Jaeger O'Meara and Lachie Whitfield over the last 10 years, probably in roughly that order.

Bryce Gibbs even not knowing much about the draft then was hyped up like crazy. I remember hearing people claiming that Gibbs should captain Carlton in his first season - such was the hype. So he may have been the most hyped we've had.

Hey Knightmare, watched stingrays vs chargers today. What are your thoughts on Matthew Cottrell? He looks like a beast. Was super impressive, by far the best player out there. I reckon it was the most dominant game by a mid that I’ve seen in the TAC.

Probably hasn't done enough to get drafted to this point.

Production and impact fairly low. Ball use not as good as it needs to be.

Looks more like a potential VFL footballer than AFL footballer at this stage until he proves otherwise.

So today was obviously a once off game then?
Cottrell's stats were 12 disposals (55% efficiency), 4 marks, 4 tackles, 1 clearance, 4 I50s, 1 goal just for your reference.

Who does the kid play like? The more I hear about this kid, the more he sounds like a player we could/should take a punt on

If it was a choice between Dillon and Barzen (ie. similar players) I would take Dillon every time. Takes the ball at its highest point and has stickier hands. Works up the ground well too. Maybe a crows Lynch comparison, or Waite maybe...

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

s**t Knightmare , big call, if we end up with pick 1 I'd trade it away for Coniglio(24), Kelly(23) and Whitfield(23) in a heartbeat and take my chances.

I'd go even further Jason, I would have no hesitation in swapping pick 1 for Kelly alone - on the proviso we had him locked in for 6/7 years.

The only kid from this years draft that I see being a locked in 200 gamer is Walsh. For all the possibilities with Lukosius, the fact that his contested marking is average at best against under-age opponents is still a big question mark. Highly talented junior player without doubt, but the next Wayne Carey?

Kelly is a proven elite player at the next level, all these kids are just that - kids.

I'm sorry Knightmare but any list manager that doesn't trade pick 1 for any 2 of Kelly, Shield, Coniglio and Whitfield would be sacked on the spot, yet alone 3 of them.

Even if you could lock in that he will be as good as Riewoldt it doesn't make sense since as good as he was, he's not worth that.

It's honestly surprising since you've always been one for saying draft picks are over-rated. Regardless, cant wait to watch the kid go around next year.

I'm sorry Knightmare but any list manager that doesn't trade pick 1 for any 2 of Kelly, Shield, Coniglio and Whitfield would be sacked on the spot, yet alone 3 of them.

Even if you could lock in that he will be as good as Riewoldt it doesn't make sense since as good as he was, he's not worth that.

It's honestly surprising since you've always been one for saying draft picks are over-rated. Regardless, cant wait to watch the kid go around next year.

He never said he’d trade those players. He said if he was the list manager with pick 1 he would consider trading the pick if a club presented a godfather offer like that offer.

Chances are of course GWS would never in a million years offer that. It’s just KM’s way of saying there’s no way in hell anyone who has pick 1 should be trading pick 1.

I'd go even further Jason, I would have no hesitation in swapping pick 1 for Kelly alone - on the proviso we had him locked in for 6/7 years.

The only kid from this years draft that I see being a locked in 200 gamer is Walsh. For all the possibilities with Lukosius, the fact that his contested marking is average at best against under-age opponents is still a big question mark. Highly talented junior player without doubt, but the next Wayne Carey?

Kelly is a proven elite player at the next level, all these kids are just that - kids.

I also don’t think he has said his contested marking is average, just highlighted that if there is one part of his game that isn’t elite. And for what it’s worth from my viewing his marking is excellent. Great on the lead. Good in packs. Only poor if he is forced to stand under a ball in a wrestle. Then he will get beaten. But he won’t get in a wrestle. He will do everything he can to not get engaged.

I also don’t think he has said his contested marking is average, just highlighted that if there is one part of his game that isn’t elite. And for what it’s worth from my viewing his marking is excellent. Great on the lead. Good in packs. Only poor if he is forced to stand under a ball in a wrestle. Then he will get beaten. But he won’t get in a wrestle. He will do everything he can to not get engaged.

No issue with anything you've posted, just for clarification it's my view - after watching him live and on vision a number of times - that his contested marking is average. Against smaller bodied, under-age opponents he is still prone to double grabbing or dropping contested marks. Doesn't necessarily bode well for the step up against elite level KPD. Hope I'm wrong, not out to see any kid fail, just offering my perspective as a longtime talent watcher.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back