Draft Watcher Knightmare's 2019 Draft Almanac

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very happy with Fremantle draft, but interested in your thoughts on why they preferred Serong to Robertson as an inside midfield option? Perhaps they were drawn to Serong and his forward play?

Interesting as he was a dual AA so his 2019 champs couldn't have been that bad.

I suspect he was just a bit vanilla for clubs, which is a shame. I'm glad he got a rookie spot

Still on an AFL list, so that's what matters ultimately.

Very happy with Fremantle draft, but interested in your thoughts on why they preferred Serong to Robertson as an inside midfield option? Perhaps they were drawn to Serong and his forward play?

I'm one of the few to rate Robertson more highly than Serong. My reason for that is Robertson as a midfielder is near Rowell/Anderson/Green level, or the next best thing.

Serong some clubs may like more as a mid and don't seem as concerned about as a kick, but if I was making a case for Serong, as per your thinking, it's because he is that genuine dual position player who is not only effective as a mid but can go forward and provide a target and add that versatility Robertson doesn't have to that same extent.

I'm one of the few to rate Robertson more highly than Serong. My reason for that is Robertson as a midfielder is near Rowell/Anderson/Green level, or the next best thing.

Serong some clubs may like more as a mid and don't seem as concerned about as a kick, but if I was making a case for Serong, as per your thinking, it's because he is that genuine dual position player who is not only effective as a mid but can go forward and provide a target and add that versatility Robertson doesn't have to that same extent.

Do you think wanting to keep mates together for retention reasons could have played a role in them drafting Serong? Young and Serong are good mates and it's probably easier to move across the country with a good mate.

Do you think wanting to keep mates together for retention reasons could have played a role in them drafting Serong? Young and Serong are good mates and it's probably easier to move across the country with a good mate.

I suspect Fremantle view that as a bonus. They're one of the clubs who historically really fear go-home factor as much as just about any. So there is that element.

But my feel is Young and Serong were the clear top 2 on Fremantle's board and they're the guys even if one was Metro, the other Country, and they had no relationship, they both would have been the choices.

All word I'm receiving is they're ecstatic with getting the pair on talent.

If you could only pic one out of Bailey Smith & Matt Rowell ,who would it be ?
I really like how Bailey Smith progressed last year has all the tricks to be a star of the comp in a few seasons

I really like how Bailey Smith progressed last year has all the tricks to be a star of the comp in a few seasons

It's interesting because Smith has a December birthday, if he was one month younger he'd have been in the U18s this year and be competing with Rowell for that number one spot. Smith was AFL-ready at the start of this year, imagining him in the U18s I think he'd definitely have provided stiff competition.

I'd love either of them really.

I've always liked Bailey Smith to Sam Walsh, and preferring Walsh to Rowell, I'd be ever so slightly more tempted by Smith. He's not as short, bigger, stronger body with the even stronger contested capabilities and a better kick by comparison to Rowell.

Rowell can really rack it up and should have similar immediate success to Walsh. Perhaps not to the same extent as he played for Gold Coast who aren't as advanced and play a lower possession brand of football, but he shouldn't be far off Walsh's season one performance.

Smith just needs midfield opportunities. It's a bummer he went to the Dogs because on a team with midfield vacancies he'd be putting up Walsh numbers with higher impact per possession.

Needless to say they all project to be future stars of the competition.

I think Smith is the best first year midfielder I have seen....

has the Dusty about him in a big way....love pick 6

I'm excited to see more of Smith through the midfield.

What Smith is missing that Dusty has is the forward craft. Maybe Smith develops that at some stage, but he hasn't really played there to have the opportunity to prove if. Smith is a far superior endurance runner to Dusty at the same age, and even at this time in their respective careers, so he still does have his areas of relative advantage. Both are bulls at the footy.

KM what does Darcy Cassar play like as a Half back his been linked to Hawthorn could he play in the forward half like Poppy.

KM what does Darcy Cassar play like as a Half back his been linked to Hawthorn could he play in the forward half like Poppy.

Utility, good skills. HF/HB/Wing.

He's no Poppy. Doesn't pressure like that, not that many can.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back