Draft Watcher Knightmare's 2019 Draft Almanac

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 6, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
This has been discussed on the GC board.

Answer basically revolves around if Lukosius commits long term, or possibly looks to leave early.

GC can't keep turning over their draft picks each year. They need to keep them and have them develop together. Ideally they add two more first round picks this year with their first two picks (they own the Lions first round pick as well as their own). And then add one or two of their Academy kids in the National draft and a couple more as rookie picks.
I can imagine. It may be tempting for them if they finish 17th this year and get pick 2 to then pair picks 1 & 2 together to get both Anderson and Rowell - 2 very very good midfielders might help their rebuild faster than a developing forward would but it depends on Lukosius AND whether the crows would even entertain trading pick 1 if they get that

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
I can imagine. It may be tempting for them if they finish 17th this year and get pick 2 to then pair picks 1 & 2 together to get both Anderson and Rowell - 2 very very good midfielders might help their rebuild faster than a developing forward would but it depends on Lukosius AND whether the crows would even entertain trading pick 1 if they get that
Thing is they paired Lukosius and Rankine last year.

You have to figure the GC recruiting team don't just look at the present years draft, but look ahead and see that there's a lack of tall talent in the next years draft, but quite a lot of inside mids, outside mids and wingers, back flankers and medium defender and forward types. So they prioritises talls with their picks last year, and plan to go with classy mids this year.

They can just easily draft which ever of Rowell and Anderson is left at pick two, and team them up with another Oakleigh Charger team mate using the Lions pick, say Trent Bianco.

Jul 6, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Thing is they paired Lukosius and Rankine last year.

You have to figure the GC recruiting team don't just look at the present years draft, but look ahead and see that there's a lack of tall talent in the next years draft, but quite a lot of inside mids, outside mids and wingers, back flankers and medium defender and forward types. So they prioritises talls with their picks last year, and plan to go with classy mids this year.

They can just easily draft which ever of Rowell and Anderson is left at pick two, and team them up with another Oakleigh Charger team mate using the Lions pick, say Trent Bianco.
They can..it just depends on Lukosius and Rankine as to whether they commit long term or don't..and whether Adelaide make a play using pick 1 if they get that or not. As an aside, now that both lads know the crows are likely to have very good trade currency, would that turn their heads to a return home in that they know the crows have the currency to realistically trade for them...we won't know the answer to any of this for a few months to come but it will be interesting whatever happens

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
Sorry to derail the thread, but is he gettable? His name has come up on the Bulldogs board as a potential trade target.
Mofra I had that in there as a bit of a joke really. But I do think he is gettable. He is doing well, but after coming back from injury hasn't re-cemented his spot in the forward line. As you would know our forward line is a work in progress and the final make up uncertain. The locks would be Hogan and Lobb. Of the other talls we have McCarthy theoretically fits best with them, but has been unconvincing, which means Taberner and Cox battle it out. Dixon and now O'Reilly are also on the list.

That is a lot of KPFs on the fringe. Cox's big plus is that he can play back, although I think he is a bit slow for that position long term.

That is not all. We also have Sturt developing as a medium, and may be a better addition to our forward line than bringing in a third tall. Plus once Cerra and Brayshaw mature, and Stephen Hill comes back, Fyfe and Mundy will rotate through the forward line again.

Long story short; any of the fringe tall forwards are gettable.

This draft Fremantle needs to do some list rebalancing. Picks that bring in small forwards or midfielders may entice a trade.

Islanddoggy

Debutant
Mar 17, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Fischer not in your top 20 ? and what size is he please KM? I think we will trade for small forwards so is he possible for the dogs Key back? or who from this draft would suit the dogs around pick 5? we obviously don't need more mids

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Fischer not in your top 20 ? and what size is he please KM? I think we will trade for small forwards so is he possible for the dogs Key back? or who from this draft would suit the dogs around pick 5? we obviously don't need more mids
i imagine Dylan Williams (forward), Sam Flanders (forward, some midfield) and Will Gould (key defender) would all be of interest to us

Sep 22, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls

196cm.

Fischer was considered for my top 20 power rankings but just missed out for June. He's a chance to get in there with a strong champs and I half suspect he may.

Late first round onwards I feel he is suitable for selection. Not convinced I'd go inside the top 10. Would be a good get if there around the Dogs in the second round.

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
Sep 22, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
If Mcasey is potential R1.. , how do you think Mcasey compares to the other talls in that game. I thought the game DeKoning showed potential..nice size and seem reasonable over head. And Worrell seems a mobile sort for his size. The two rucks were a little better than I thought they might be...

McAsey comfortably ahead of De Koning. De Koning I view as a later pick. Worrell is a potential first rounder and is on that edge, though has dropped down my draft board not making that meaningful progress this year and not having that clear best position. But maybe some desperate clubs go earlier on them than they should. A wait and see situation.

QLD Lion 2019

Debutant
Jan 5, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
KM, I am hearing no live telecast of the Vic Country v Allies game on Sunday even though Nab League are doing the Tassie v Bushrangers game immediately before hand at the same ground??? Have you heard the same or do you know of a live stream anywhere? Seems crazy that the infrastructure is there to keep streaming and not take advantage of it.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Sep 22, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
KM, I am hearing no live telecast of the Vic Country v Allies game on Sunday even though Nab League are doing the Tassie v Bushrangers game immediately before hand at the same ground??? Have you heard the same or do you know of a live stream anywhere? Seems crazy that the infrastructure is there to keep streaming and not take advantage of it.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Can't say I know what Foxfooty have planned. I'm not a subscriber. I'm sure they will have a TV guide and can check there to see if they're televising the game. Each year it seems they do some games but not all, and usually from memory it's the final two rounds.

If there is a YouTube stream of the game that anyone finds out about for the U18 Champs games it would be great to hear about it.

NABLeague is a separate competition. There will be some kind of vision clubs will take but don't think it's public. Would be great if someone put those games up though.

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Appreciate all the responses

Another question - what separates Cam Taheny, Dylan Williams and Sam Flanders? I keep seeing the latter two rated higher, but Taheny has kicked 11 goals from 3 matches in SANFL league, including 5 last week, so he is proving he can match it with the grown adults. Just curious as to why he'd be rated lower than the other two, and what you see as the biggest differences between them

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sep 22, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls

Another question - what separates Cam Taheny, Dylan Williams and Sam Flanders? I keep seeing the latter two rated higher, but Taheny has kicked 11 goals from 3 matches in SANFL league, including 5 last week, so he is proving he can match it with the grown adults. Just curious as to why he'd be rated lower than the other two, and what you see as the biggest differences between them

For me with Taheny I've seen less of him, but the way he is going in the SANFL he can with a strong Champs rise up my board. In the games I saw of him last year I didn't fall in love with his game as much as I hoped I would. But that was a small sample so I want to see more. He also hasn't played in the U18 Academy games which Williams/Flanders have. Maybe too much selection bias towards Vic? Also not sure how much he can do through the midfield with Williams/Flanders certainly good there but that's something I'll need to see if/how well Taheny can do as an unknown for me at this point.

Williams was great last year but hasn't impressed me this year so he's on the drop on my board and I can see Taheny and a few others passing him by unless his U18 Champs and finals is particularly strong.

Flanders is the most physically advanced and most dominant of the three. May not have the ceiling being more physically advanced and with others seemingly catching up progressively but on performance now he's be top 3-7 in this pool.

Sep 22, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
Hi Knightmare, if Adelaide keep pick 1 which I expect them to, do you see them drafting a gun midfielder like Rowell or Anderson or go for the local KPP in Will Gould?
Being a Bulldogs fan I will be hoping Gould will still be there for our first pick.

Gould isn't a pick 1 contender. He's not a lock to go first round and most seem to have him outside their top 10s at this time.

Rowell and Anderson are the two most likely.

If anyone else is considered. Hayden Young and Lachlan Ash are those other two next most highly regarded.

Eastcoasteagle

Premiership Player
Oct 20, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea FC

Flanders has been compared to Petracca, but I reckon he's more of a Robbie Gray. Out of the three mentioned he is equally adept at midfield and fwd. Strong overhead medium fwd, great hands in traffic mid. I'm a big Flanders fan, well developed for his age. Tank is average.
William's bit of a Stevie J type at best, but he can be inconsistant. Remember watching TAC grand final last year thinking this kid will be a star, but seen him a few times this year and barely noticed him (metro game was unfortunate, was keen to see him at higher level but got injured). He's a pure fwd for mine, type that can kick 3 in 5 minutes and has x factor.
Haven't seen Taheny live, but vision I've seen he's very Similar mould to William's. Mid sized fwd, maybe more of a Lecras type. Beautiful left foot and very strong overhead.
I rate Flanders highest due to his dual position status.

BigDance

Cancelled
Jul 27, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
KM- cant wait to see your analysis of the Metro stars and the WA kids after what looks to be a WA win today!

Last edited:

bmaurizio

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 11, 2004
Singapore
AFL Club
Carlton
Hi KM, appreciate your dedication and good work throughout the drafts.
What did you think of Sam Walsh’s game yesterday.. I had to rub the eyes a few times to check it was he’s a 19 year old playing his 12th AFL game.

Sep 22, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
Hi KM, appreciate your dedication and good work throughout the drafts.
What did you think of Sam Walsh’s game yesterday.. I had to rub the eyes a few times to check it was he’s a 19 year old playing his 12th AFL game.

Cripps was unbelievable firstly. Doing what he did was sensational and really elates him to the status of the best mid in the game. It's even more incredible doing that on a bad team. That has to be the real takeaway from yesterday's game.

Sam Walsh was excellent. He's obviously very advanced and what makes him so impressive is he has that rare combination of inside/outside game where he can go inside and win it and contribute in there but then he has the endurance to run all day and find plenty of it on the outside. He's basically another Josh Kelly. One comment, and it isn't really necessary, but to really break down who Walsh is and where he projects to go. I look at Kane Cornes' comments on Walsh not being a match winner as being accurate. He'll be your 30d a game mid who does it inside/outside to an elite level over four quarters, but isn't that real match-winner who can take a game by the scruff of the neck and take over or rip someone apart with his influence. He's projecting to become a best 10 in the game mid though, just probably not top 1-2. So that's obviously still a great outcome if things work out that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back