Draft Watcher Knightmare's 2019 Draft Almanac

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Harry Schoenberg [ 23 Disposals - 15 Kicks - 8 Hballs - 5 Marks - 4 Tackles - 6 Clearances - 1.1] outshone in the midfield in the SANFL 2's today by his WWT Eagles teammate Lachie McNeil [ 23 Disposals - 12 Kicks - 11 Hballs - 2 Marks - 13 Tackles - 7 Clearances] who is the one flying under the radar of the SA boys.

McNeil definitely exhibited elite moments throughout the Champs....But it's one thing to do it on a consistent basis against the best as Schoenberg did....Quite another at 2nd's level in the SANFL.

He'll get drafted though, for sure.

Thanks for all the insight mate. If I may, could I ask who you see as the top 5 KPD in the draft this year and where you realistically see them going?

The Hawks probably need another pushing through behind Kosi going forward.

I'll give you my 10 as some are mutli position, others are academy).

Will Gould (though will be used more as a general def at AFL level)
Fischer McAsey
Dyson Hilder
Karl Finlay (more a 3rd tall for mine)
Brodie Newman (either a KPD or 3rd tall can be good)
Bigoa Nyuon (St K Academy)
Sam De Koning
Liam Delahunty (GWS Academy - has played more KPF but looks just as good in def)
Charlie Dean (more a KPF)
Corey Watts

These 10 KPDs I'd feel comfortable drafting in the national draft. Plenty of them. Gould and McAsey should go first round. The others second or third round are appropriate for selection. Nyuon

Day is in my Top 15.....The first time I saw him play at the Champs I instantly had him pegged as a first-rounder.

Reckon he has a better inside game than all of Gould, Young & Ash.

Day is clean at ground level, but just the 27cp from 75d. It's still a developing facet to his game.

Young easily has the better inside game of those four. He's a legit inside mid if you want to play him there and is a genuine first possession winner.

Harry Schoenberg [ 23 Disposals - 15 Kicks - 8 Hballs - 5 Marks - 4 Tackles - 6 Clearances - 1.1] outshone in the midfield in the SANFL 2's today by his WWT Eagles teammate Lachie McNeil [ 23 Disposals - 12 Kicks - 11 Hballs - 2 Marks - 13 Tackles - 7 Clearances] who is the one flying under the radar of the SA boys.

McNeil was one of SA's best players during the U18 Championships. The message shouldn't be that Schoenberg is a scrub, he's not. But rather McNeil as he showed during the Champs is legit.

Day is clean at ground level, but just the 27cp from 75d. It's still a developing facet to his game.

Young easily has the better inside game of those four. He's a legit inside mid if you want to play him there and is a genuine first possession winner.

KM - What were Young's CP figures ?

KM - What were Young's CP figures ?

Young had fewer CP during the champs with 21, though his role was pure defence taking kickouts, sweeping and getting cheap receives out the back. So his role wasn't conducive to winning his own ball.

When Young has played through the midfield in NAB League he'll get you 10CP+ with a high of 18CP v Brisbane where he was winning what felt like first possession at every stoppage. He's probably best in defence, but he's also very much suited to playing a ball winning mid role with his stoppage work excellent and for mine among the better 10 in this draft pool.

Canberra big 3 dominated again yesterday Smout 45 Disps 8 clearances Maguire 35 disps 12 Clearances and Baker 34& 9 marks. Surely the suns could look into their backyard for some mature talent like one of those 3 or a Bartholomaues or Roos. No point holding onto list cloggers like Ellis and Horlin Smith??

Canberra big 3 dominated again yesterday Smout 45 Disps 8 clearances Maguire 35 disps 12 Clearances and Baker 34& 9 marks. Surely the suns could look into their backyard for some mature talent like one of those 3 or a Bartholomaues or Roos. No point holding onto list cloggers like Ellis and Horlin Smith??

Is Canberra in the Suns backyard though?

Bit hard when they signed them to 3 year contracts.

Plenty of room on the GC list for mature agers. I think those three and others deserve draft consideration.

There aren't that many on Gold Coast's list I view. Ellis and Horlin-Smith are two I wouldn't have picked and as you say, they take up valuable list positions that could have been something useful whether it's talented youth, established ballers or veteran leaders.

Knightmare you don't have Dylan Stephens in your top 20 players in your latest draft rankings. Out of interest why is this the case as I have heard some good things about him?

Stephens wasn't on the level I had hoped during the U18 Championships. Quick, agile, high motor. Finds the footy. But lacking the hurt factor or weapons I'd like. Entirely one sided, going left every time.

I look at him as Ben Johnson (ex Pie) with better capacity to win the contested ball without it being a strong suit. And if he has that level of career, that's a sensational outcome, but with the relative progression of the game that's more a role player who can contribute without being a star.

Overall liking this draft, there are others I prefer. I still like Stephens top 30 though. Draftable, but for mine not in the top 10 territory some others feel he deserves.

Hey Knightmare

May have already been answered in previous posts, but which Mature Age players do you see possibly being given the opportunity next year and where abouts in the draft etc do you see them featuring? For mine guys like Marcus Lentini, Mitch Hibberd, Haiden Schloithe etc have done enough to warrant a chance (or second in Hibberds case) with their form in their respective state leagues.

Who do you see as Ruckman possibly available at end of year for my club which is severely lacking depth in this area?

Cheers

Hey Knightmare

May have already been answered in previous posts, but which Mature Age players do you see possibly being given the opportunity next year and where abouts in the draft etc do you see them featuring? For mine guys like Marcus Lentini, Mitch Hibberd, Haiden Schloithe etc have done enough to warrant a chance (or second in Hibberds case) with their form in their respective state leagues.

Who do you see as Ruckman possibly available at end of year for my club which is severely lacking depth in this area?

Cheers

I'll be giving a handful of mature agers and overagers some time in this week's wrap. I'm unsure Lentini/Hibberd/Schloithe get a go. I've long been an advocate of Schloithe, Bolton and a number of those others who have been good for a long time. Lentini is the premier ball winner in the VFL and Hibberd is also coming good, so they're all names I'd consider. I'm seeing clubs being put off by Schloithe (age), Lentini (poor kick) and Hibberd (decision making under pressure has always been a problem). There probably won't be many taken given a lot of those of interest went already during the mid-season draft but late/rookie there should be some.

For thsoe others who are likely to get picked I'd look at those who were given medicals mid-season. Frank Anderson, Sam Lowson, Jake Riccardi, Mark Noble and Matthew Nunn are a few top of mind I can see receiving consideration.

Jeremy Goddard (WAFL ruckman) is the best I'm seeing and he's starting to come good. I'll give him a mention in this week's wrap. He's the dominant tap ruckman in the WAFL. Still not great around the ground or a weapon forward of centre but he's the best of a weak crop of mature age ruckmen outside the AFL and can be an able tap ruckman. Otherwise the option through the draft is picking kids who will take time to develop (and there are a number worth drafting headlined by Luke Jackson). But if you want immediate ruck help, I'd be looking at opposition lists with plenty of value in the AFL ranks already.

Hey Knightmare,

What are your thoughts on Cooper Stephens?

I am hoping he slides to Essendon with one of our second round picks.

Who else do you like for us in that 28-32 region (We will likely have 2 picks in that range)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hey Knightmare,

What are your thoughts on Cooper Stephens?

I am hoping he slides to Essendon with one of our second round picks.

Who else do you like for us in that 28-32 region (We will likely have 2 picks in that range)

Good ball winning mid and has some acceleration. Not a good kick though. Coming into the year I saw him as a possible late first - second round pick but having missed time he's more a late second - third round pick for mine.

28-32 if you want a mid Deven Robertson would be the dream pick if he slides. Otherwise Harry Schoenberg and Ryan Byrnes would be terrific around that pick 30 mark if there, and there is talk one or both may be. Fischer McAsey if he slides would be great as a key defender around there also for value.

The coach of the top of the ladder Eastern side pumping up his players and trying to get them out there as possible selections. The reality with Eastern is there aren't any sure choices. Mellis who I mention in my weekly wrap is the most likely. Rossiter and Pretty outside chances. They've got a couple for next year in Downie and Clarke but ultimately as a side they're an even, well drilled side and a lot of them being sub 180cm types have mature games which translates to success in junior ranks.

Karl Finlay to make his SANFL League debut at half back for the North Adelaide Roosters and Jackson Mead named in the WWT Eagles 23 man squad likely to make his SANFL League debut.

The coach of the top of the ladder Eastern side pumping up his players and trying to get them out there as possible selections. The reality with Eastern is there aren't any sure choices. Mellis who I mention in my weekly wrap is the most likely. Rossiter and Pretty outside chances. They've got a couple for next year in Downie and Clarke but ultimately as a side they're an even, well drilled side and a lot of them being sub 180cm types have mature games which translates to success in junior ranks.

Stapleton ?

Karl Finlay to make his SANFL League debut at half back for the North Adelaide Roosters and Jackson Mead named in the WWT Eagles 23 man squad likely to make his SANFL League debut.

I've long been a Finlay fan. Good to see him get a chance at League level. Was terrific in the Reserves last weekend. Would love to hear how he goes from those who get down to the game.

Stapleton ?

One of Eastern's better players and is good at NAB League level. Like many of the others on that like - Black being another I clump into that same basket. A regular case of sub 180cm and doesn't have a clear AFL game where there isn't that clear point of difference or that clear position on a team where I can place him ahead of anyone.

I've long been a Finlay fan. Good to see him get a chance at League level. Was terrific in the Reserves last weekend. Would love to hear how he goes from those who get down to the game.

One of Eastern's better players and is good at NAB League level. Like many of the others on that like - Black being another I clump into that same basket. A regular case of sub 180cm and doesn't have a clear AFL game where there isn't that clear point of difference or that clear position on a team where I can place him ahead of anyone.
Why don't you invest in a SANFL digital pass, cheap as chips now as you only pay pro-rata for the games left this season and that entitles you to replays of all games all season...

I just don't see Jackson as remotely close to top 5. He doesn't impact games on that level. Good tap ruckman. Very strong when he can get a body on guys. Follows up well. Takes the odd good grab around the ground. So he's draftable. We're just talking about a sub 200cm ruckman who doesn't have a clear second position. It's something I can only get mid-draft excited about.

I'd be interested in seeing Jackson used as a big bodied ball winning midfielder. Can he do it? Can he get to enough contests? Cover enough of the ground? Win enough of the ball often enough?

If he can, that brings something very new into the equation and can really elevate him high up in the first round if he can go into Tom Green mode and have some kind of impact at stoppages like that.
How tall is Jackson ? 198 ?

How tall is Jackson ? 198 ?

198cm.

The only established ruckmen shorter are Mumford and Ryder (197cm) - and they're both on their last legs. S.Martin and Nankervis similar at 199cm.

Hopefully Jackson has some more growth in him.

198cm.

The only established ruckmen shorter are Mumford and Ryder (197cm) - and they're both on their last legs. S.Martin and Nankervis similar at 199cm.

Hopefully Jackson has some more growth in him.
Him at 203 would be considered with higher picks?...

I'm not expecting Jackson to feature top 20. If my memory serves me correctly, Tim English is the last to feature inside the top 20 since Brodie Grundy in 2012. Ruckmen tend to come into consideration later. Probably goes closer to pick 40, same story with Nick Bryan given Bailey Williams went at 35 last year and Sam Hayes at 47 the year before as similar quality ruckmen.

Gould is getting used more as a rebounding general defender, so it feels more likely that he will settle into something like Shannon Hurn's role more so than a Steven May style key defender he also could if he wanted to as that shorter but ultra strong key defender.

McAsey should be the first key defender selected, though that doesn't mean Gould won't go before him. I just think clubs seem to like Gould more as a general defender rather than a key.

I agree with that ... although I did hear someone speculate that Grundy and English perhaps encourages clubs to be brave enough to start picking rucks a bit earlier. I like Jackson once you get into R2... and Bryan a bit later .. do you have any idea the comparison of athletic measures for the both of them.. spring speed agility etc...

Knightmare Looking forward to another exciting draft and trade period and interested in your thoughts on where you think WAs Luke Jackson will go and also your thoughts on the Allies ruckman Kelly (I think that is his name?)
Also where did you have Stack going in your last phantom draft and player rankings? Well done to the Tigers on how they have developed him and took the risk on him but no doubt the success is down to his talent and work ethic as well

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back