Draft Watcher Knightmare's 2019 Draft Almanac

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Knightmare.

On the draft coverage, have we any idea how long the first night's preamble will take before the 1st pick?

It is annoying.

Can't say I've ever watched the coverage. I just follow the picks on a pick tracker. No idea what Fox/AFL.com or whoever covers it have in mind.

Can't say I've ever watched the coverage. I just follow the picks on a pick tracker. No idea what Fox/AFL.com or whoever covers it have in mind.

same, i miss the days of watching it on free to air TV, since it moved to Foxtel i havnt seen it other than replays on youtube and it seems like a mess and the more they add, the worse the coverage seems to get, i wish it was on free to air again and just a basic format with Sheehan saying every player was special...

same, i miss the days of watching it on free to air TV, since it moved to Foxtel i havnt seen it other than replays on youtube and it seems like a mess and the more they add, the worse the coverage seems to get, i wish it was on free to air again and just a basic format with Sheehan saying every player was special...

I'll live tweet for those seeking immediate feedback on the players drafted and answer those questions I can before the next pick, at the end of a round or post-draft if necessary.

Correct, new for this year.

I don't think it's new this year. I believe clubs were allowed to do it last year too. My memory tells me that the Dogs traded picks after the bid on West was made, trading out their next pick to get more points.

This report from last year doesn't unequivocally confirm that is what went down, but it certainly implies that is what happened.

If he is in the draft then he is available to be contracted by any club after Carlton failed to secure a trade. That's how the AFL works, and he has every right to be miffed at Carlton mucking him around like that when he could have been in discussions with a club serious about getting him.
Your post which I replied to was about contracted players being held to their contracts. Martin yet again is not contracted.
As to this post, Martin has a choice whether to go in the ND or PSD. If PSD, GC has a choice whether to continue acting like dicks or to give up. Melbourne would then have a choice at pick 2 if GC give up.
Does it bother you if he gets to Carlton? Why?

I don't think it's new this year. I believe clubs were allowed to do it last year too. My memory tells me that the Dogs traded picks after the bid on West was made, trading out their next pick to get more points.

This report from last year doesn't unequivocally confirm that is what went down, but it certainly implies that is what happened.
They traded picks with Fremantle before a bid was made on West. You can find let years draft on youtube (well it was there earlier in the year).

Your post which I replied to was about contracted players being held to their contracts. Martin yet again is not contracted.
As to this post, Martin has a choice whether to go in the ND or PSD. If PSD, GC has a choice whether to continue acting like dicks or to give up. Melbourne would then have a choice at pick 2 if GC give up.
Does it bother you if he gets to Carlton? Why?
Don't care at all about Carlton, but I don't like the ease of players moving clubs without the destination club providing reasonable trade value, contracted or not. I think the PSD should be canned, and players who can't get trades done just go in the draft with their contract terms specified.

Have to see how it plays out if happens but doesn’t pass the pub test for me.

Could not agree more. We are already starting to get into a situation where the draft is becoming so compromised that it isn't serving the purpose of equalisation at all. I mean out of the 40 or so "best" bottom agers that played on GF day 17 were Academy connected. It's ridiculous and can't continue. This new rule just adds to the disparity. I mean Sydney could get another top 3 pick next year regardless of where they finish and if they do finish low then they could get two top 5 picks. Something has to change cause otherwise our number 1 equalisation mechanism will become almost irrelevant.

At the very least they need to put a cap on top line picks that can be taken by 1 club in their academy zone and tighten up the requirements. It's absurd that kids who have alway been footballers and were never encouraged to the sport by the academy can be claimed cause a parent was born overseas or whatever the requirement is. Clubs will rort anything they can so it's not their faults.

RANT OVER

There are so many players rated in the top 30 that I would pick Smith ahead of. A lot of us Dogs fans have been comparing him to Dale Morris, which is huge raps from our perspective. Would be ecstatic if he lasted to our pick in the 50s

Do you want to put your money where your mouth is and name them so we can hold you accountable?

There are so many players rated in the top 30 that I would pick Smith ahead of. A lot of us Dogs fans have been comparing him to Dale Morris, which is huge raps from our perspective. Would be ecstatic if he lasted to our pick in the 50s

Yep. Kid is a through and through defensive defender. He understands the game. He's not going to turn into someone who bombs off the back of the square and takes three bounces down the wing. He'll play 200 games and never sign an autograph. Real Nick Smith from Sydney vibes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hey, Knightmare. Bit of a weird one for you. Was wondering if you could do the following as I think it would be interesting for us who don't follow the draft as closely as you.

1) Can you give me your top 10 on the players who will make an Impact in the AFL next year?
2) A top 10 for who will be there best players in 5 years
3) A top 10 on raw talent alone

thanks! Love your work
While you're at it Knightmare, could I get a top 10 runners, a top ten marks, top 10 set shots for goal, top 10 cooking skills and top 10 most likely to be father's by 22.

Thanks in advance

Angus hanrahan and Charlie dean much of a chance to get drafted you reckon ?

Both against the odds but draftable. Both probably can be had as rookies for those clubs interested.

Hanrahan has had a strong year while Dean who had a great first two rounds has the attributes to come good with work.

While you're at it Knightmare, could I get a top 10 runners, a top ten marks, top 10 set shots for goal, top 10 cooking skills and top 10 most likely to be father's by 22.

Thanks in advance

Runners
Lachlan Potter (speed)
Brady Rowles (speed)
Noah Cumberland (speed)
Lachlan Ash (speed/endurance)
Jeremy Sharp (speed/endurance)
Dylan Stephens (endurance/speed)
Malcolm Rosas (speed/agility/pressure)
Elijah Taylor (speed/agility/pressure)
Kysaiah Pickett (speed/agility/pressure)
Sam Lowson (speed/agility/pressure)

Marks (could list another x10)
Ben Sokol
Jake Riccardi
Harrison Jones
Mitch Georgiades
Jackson Davies
Miles Bergman
Brodie Newman
Fischer McAsey
Brock Smith
Karl Finlay

Set shots (I don't want to give a full 10 credit as I want to give credit to those I feel are particularly reliable and would categorise set shot goalkicking as a strength of)
Josh Morris
Josh Gore
Mitch Georgiades
Cooper Sharman
Charlie Dean
Ben Sokol

Both against the odds but draftable. Both probably can be had as rookies for those clubs interested.

Hanrahan has had a strong year while Dean who had a great first two rounds has the attributes to come good with work.

Runners
Lachlan Potter (speed)
Brady Rowles (speed)
Noah Cumberland (speed)

Ben Sokol
Jake Riccardi
Harrison Jones
Mitch Georgiades
Jackson Davies
Miles Bergman
Brodie Newman
Fischer McAsey
Brock Smith
Karl Finlay

Set shots (I don't want to give a full 10 credit as I want to give credit to those I feel are particularly reliable and would categorise set shot goalkicking as a strength of)
Josh Morris
Josh Gore
Mitch Georgiades
Cooper Sharman
Charlie Dean
Ben Sokol
I'm very impressed! It was a bit of a tongue in cheek question but being the ultimate professional and knowledge person you are, you have exceeded expectations. Thoroughly enjoy reading your posts

I'm very impressed! It was a bit of a tongue in cheek question but being the ultimate professional and knowledge person you are, you have exceeded expectations. Thoroughly enjoy reading your posts

I realised, but always interesting for the discussion anyway as I'm sure there are some who wondered. It had me quickly going through my own list and thinking.

While we’re on top 10’s, what’s the top 10 most senior games by players you profiled Knightmare?

Would daresay Dusty is top?

Started in '09 under the Knightwheelrqr username, though I found after a while I couldn't log into that so I made this account.

Dusty probably would be on top. I'd hazard a guess Mitch Duncan, Nat Fyfe, Ben Cunnington, Jack Gunston, Andrew Gaff, Jack Darling, Luke Parker, Isaac Smith, Dyson Heppell and Jeremy Howe is my best guess top of mind.

Runners
Lachlan Potter (speed)
Brady Rowles (speed)
Noah Cumberland (speed)

Ben Sokol
Jake Riccardi
Harrison Jones
Mitch Georgiades
Jackson Davies
Miles Bergman
Brodie Newman
Fischer McAsey
Brock Smith
Karl Finlay

Josh Morris
Josh Gore
Mitch Georgiades
Cooper Sharman
Charlie Dean
Ben Sokol

Reckon Cam Taheny probably sneaks in front of a couple in the Marks and Set Shots categories.

KM - I am loving that Luke Jackson name keeps getting pushed higher as I am unabashed fan. Also I think Liam Henry is now getting plaudits he deserves.

Have noticed with interest over last few days with Henry and Pickett invited to Draft that small forwards seem a big attraction and talking point this year. I just think though a one dimensional small forward only is not a high pick option – the smalls at AFL level that are most in demand are the mid/forwards who can do midfield shifts as well as play forward, kick goals and tackle and apply pressure – think Michael Walters, Tom Papley, Jade Gresham etc.

Have gone back and looked at Nationals stats for this player in this pool and I will say again 2 standout head and shoulders above the rest – Liam Henry & Jack Mahony – see below for stats of the 6 rated small forwards in this Draft. Looking through vision both of these only had limited midfield time throughout Carnival so their overall disposal numbers are elite when you compare to some of the highly rated full time mids in this draft such as Kemp, Maginness, Rantall and Mead.

1573179886068.png

Freo will get a ripper with Henry and will not hesitate to match.

Of these players Mahony is the best inside mid, the best crumbing forward and applies great pressure without the ball – and he is the only one with form over last 2 years Nationals.

Weightman is the most athletic and exciting but is a small marking forward only. Does not crumb and does not apply pressure – I don’t get how we are talking first round.

Pickett is a highlight reel – but his impact is very inconsistent. I have watched him a number of times this year first hand and he goes in and out of games a lot. His size is an obvious concern as well. Can only think the draft invite relates to Port wanting him at pick 18 for romantic reasons.

Cahill I think is a very good option later in draft. Even though Stingrays gave him midfield time late in season and his numbers were ok – I don’t think he can have midfield impact like Henry and Mahony – but I do like him around goals as creative crumbing player – reminds me a lot of Dan Butler.

Rosas has signed with Suns as prelisted NT Academy.

Am now starting to look back over outside mids – as we are all sick of inside mid analysis over same names….

Do you want to put your money where your mouth is and name them so we can hold you accountable?
Sorry if my comment personally offended you, but sure. "Top 30" varies depending on who you ask, but I'll use players who I've seen ranked thereabouts by various sources. I can see him having a better career than Darcy Cassar, Mitch O'Neill, Jackson Mead, Sam De Koning, Jay Rantall, Harry Schoenberg, Harrison Jones, Dylan Williams just to name a few.

I would pick Smith ahead of all of those except maybe Wiliams and De Koning (because of Dogs' needs), although if purely going for best available, I'd take Smith before all of those. I also don't rate Luke Jackson as much as others seem to. Undersized for an AFL ruckman, and shown very little as a KPP, so I don't understand the fuss being made. I'd take him somewhere in the second round, but no way would I touch him with a top 20 pick.

It requires a lot of things to go specific ways, but I do have a question. If Jack Martin were to go to the draft, where would you think a team should/would take him, and is the dogs at 13 too early

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back