Draft Watcher Knightmare's 2019 Draft Almanac

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Every time I see Taheny I can't help but think Angus Monfries.

Predominantly lead and mark, with some tricks, but undersized for that role at AFL level.
Wouldn’t be ashamed to have a similar career output either with Monfries playing 200+ games and kicking 200+ goals. You would take those numbers any day of the week as a likely 2nd rounder

Wouldn’t be ashamed to have a similar career output either with Monfries playing 200+ games and kicking 200+ goals. You would take those numbers any day of the week as a likely 2nd rounder
I'm coming around to really wanting Cam myself now I've really drilled down into watching a shedload of footage of him over the last week. If you had asked me a few weeks ago before I'd done some heavy research especially on the SA boys he'd have been down my shopping a fair bit further than he is as of now. I now have him No.3 behind Will Day and Dylan Stephens slightly ahead of Will Gould from a Crows draft perspective. His good far, far outweighs the few concerns I have.

I'm coming around to really wanting Cam myself now I've really drilled down into watching a shedload of footage of him over the last week. If you had asked me a few weeks ago before I'd done some heavy research especially on the SA boys he'd have been down my shopping a fair bit further than he is as of now. I now have him No.3 behind Will Day and Dylan Stephens slightly ahead of Will Gould from a Crows draft perspective. His good far, far outweighs the few concerns I have.
No love Pickett or Mead (port f/s)? I disagree re Gould, that kids a footballer. There are a few 187-190 rangy HFF types that had a decent champs with elite endurance that have had less injury troubles. All things considered and what's on offer this draft, I think he's a third rounder at best.

I remember the Hartung hype that I never bought into. Speed/endurance but soft and no composure in traffic. I'm not saying soft, I just don't see the hype.

Last edited:
No love Pickett or Mead (port f/s)? I disagree re Gould, that kids a footballer. There are a few 187-190 rangy HFF types that had a decent champs with elite endurance that have had less injury troubles. All things considered and what's on offer this draft, I think he's a third rounder at best.

I remember the Hartung hype that I never bought into. Speed/endurance but soft and no composure in traffic. I'm not saying soft, I just don't see the hype.
If your using the 2019 Championships as your sole source to form an opinion on Taheny's ability you are doing yourself a big disservice believe me because recruiters cast a far wider net than that. He's been a standout right back to his U16's Championships days. Did you miss the bit where I said from a Crows perspective? We are well stocked with small forwards and Mead is tied to Port. Anyhow that's it from me we've derailed Knighta's thread way too much already.

This link is behind a paywall.

Can somebody please unlock this as Outline.com doesn't work?

Cheers.
NOAH ANDERSON
The highly-rated midfielder’s father, Dean, played 83 games for Hawthorn between 1988 and 1992 including in the Hawks’ 1989 and 1991 premierships. Dean finished his career with St Kilda, featuring in 67 games from 1993-96.
FISCHER MCASEY
The Sandringham Dragons key defender’s father was a one-hit wonder for St Kilda. Chris McAsey played a single game for the Saints in 1983 from two years on the club’s list. Fischer’s second-cousin, Darren McAsey, played 34 games for Sydney from 1985-91, while his uncle Alan played three games for Footscray.
FINN MAGINNESS
A contested-ball beast in the midfield, Finn is a father-son prospect for Hawthorn with his father, Scott, having played 131 games for the Hawks from 1988-96. Finn’s grandfather, Norm Maginness, also played 64 games for Hawthorn from 1953-58.
ELIJAH TAYLOR
The livewire forward from Western Australia has no shortage of football talent in the family tree. On his father’s side sit former St Kilda star Nicky Winmar, Derek and Dale Kickett, former Fremantle defender Roger Hayden, former North Melbourne forward Tom Curran and St Kilda ruckman Paddy Ryder. On his mum’s side of the tree there are West Coast midfielder Tim Kelly, former Eagles pair Troy Ugle and Phil Narkle and Geelong forward Quinton Narkle.
LIAM HENRY
The small forward and midfielder, who is part of Fremantle’s academy, has a few football links but lists the “closest” as being talented journeymen Derek and Dale Kickett, who are his father’s uncles.
TOM GREEN
The bullocking midfielder from Canberra is a member of GWS’s academy but is instead a Richmond supporter with Tigers links. His grandfather, Michael Green, played in four premierships for the Tigers in the 1960s and 70s and father, Richard, played for Richmond’s under-19s before deciding to pursue a career in the army instead.
DEVON ROBERTSON
Leadership is in the veins of this year’s Western Australia under-18s captain. Robertson’s uncle is Darren Glass, who played 270 games for West Coast from 2000-14 including the club’s 2006 premiership. Glass also served as captain of the Eagles for seven seasons from 2008-14.
THOMSON DOW
The outside midfielder grew up following North Melbourne but has had to switch teams. His older brother, Paddy Dow, was drafted by Carlton with pick 3 in the 2017 national draft and has gone on to play 39 games for the Blues across two seasons since.
WILL DAY
The mid-sized defender is the grandson of a famous former centreman, Robert Day. Robert made his name with West Adelaide in the SANFL before going on to be a Hawthorn premiership player in 1971 during a two-year stint with the Hawks.
JAXON PRIOR
The medium defender from Western Australia is the son of former Essendon and West Coast player Michael Prior. Michael played 81 games for the Bombers between 1994 and 2000 before finishing his career with two years at the Eagles for a total of nine games.
HAYDEN YOUNG
The highly-rated defender from Dandenong Stingrays is the brother of Lachie Young, who was picked up by the Western Bulldogs in the 2018 rookie draft and has played six AFL games since.
FRASER PHILLIPS
The mid-sized forward with a good goal sense is the grandson of former South Melbourne star Ken Phillips. Ken played 60 games for the Swans from 1963-69.
HUGO RALPHSMITH
The midfielder, who is described as a gifted all-round athlete, is the son of former Hawthorn and St Kilda player Sean Ralphsmith, who played 34 AFL games from 1988-94.
MITCH GEORGIADES
The tall forward from Western Australia, who has been hampered by a quad injury this year, is the son of former Footscray player John Georgiades, who featured in 15 games for the Bulldogs from 1989-91.
CALEB SERONG
It isn’t as clear cut as some of his fellow draftees, but somewhere in the family bloodlines Caleb is related to Bill Serong, who played in the 1950s and 60s for Collingwood. Bill’s first year was 1956, with the Magpies losing that season in the Grand Final Melbourne. He also played one season at North Melbourne.
SAM DE KONING
The battles in the backyard were mightily fierce between key position big men and brothers Sam and Tom De Koning. While Sam is a potential first round pick this year, Tom was snapped up by the Blues at pick 30 in 2017. Not done yet, their dad Terry De Koning played 31 games for the Western Bulldogs in the early 80s.
JACKSON MEAD
Jackson’s father Darren was one of the original players to pull on a Port Adelaide jumper in 1997. And his name will forever be remembered at the club. Darren was also the Power’s first ever best and fairest winner. He went on to play 122 games across six years.
KYSIAH PICKETT
Few draftees can challenge Kysiah Pickett for incredible AFL bloodlines. As a teenager, he moved from Western Australia to South Australia to live with his uncle Byron, who played 204 games across a career that included stops at North Melbourne, Port Adelaide and Melbourne. The highlight was the 2004 Power premiership. Meanwhile, his YouTube ‘Greatest AFL bumps’ videos are still favourites among footy fans today. Another one of Kysiah’s uncles is Richmond premiership player Marlion Pickett. Not done there, he has AFL listed cousins on both sides of his family, with Lewis and Neville Jetta on one side and West Coast premiership player Liam Ryan on the other.
LACHLAN ASH
Vic Country captain Lachlan Ash is the nephew of former player and coach Chris Connolly. Connolly played 84 games for Melbourne throughout the 1980s before retiring. He served as caretaker coach of Hawthorn for one game before taking over the top job at Fremantle between 2002 and 2007. Connolly then transitioned into football department roles.

All of Adelaide's 6 picks are inside 50, I can't see them not taking him well before then let alone other teams.

Honestly mate have a look at the 4 or 5 lengthy video examples of what Taheny is capable of bearing in mind this is SANFL A Grade at the link below and tell me you still think he goes in the 50 -60 range?...

got nothing to do with his talent, its off field.
on talent he is top 10

got nothing to do with his talent, its off field.
on talent he is top 10
You seriously believe if he even had a hint of off field issues he'd have been made head boarder at Rostrevor College the last 2 years and his teachers would be speaking of him in such glowing terms?
Crow till I die ?
But when the 17 year old from Cleve is not taking spectacular marks in the forward lines for his State U18, Norwood and Rostrevor College sides, he has his feet firmly planted on the ground.
As head boarder of Rostrevor College, Cameron is a voice for dozens of boarders from remote and regional South Australia and deftly juggles his football and academic commitments with advocacy for his fellow students.
Rostrevor principal Brian Schumacher describes Cameron as a humble and respectful young man despite his many achievements.
“He is very much a quiet achiever and is widely liked and respected and is always willing to support his fellow boarders,” Mr Schumacher said.
Cameron said despite the attention from AFL scouts, he wasn’t thinking about his draft prospects just yet.

Last edited:
maybe off field is the wrong term.
it's his mentality, his desire to be the best, to do all the 1%s to make it in the afl.
His desire to win, norwood people who know him well tell me he aint got it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ok am now giving my opinions on ‘outside’ players in this Pool.

These are the players that always create the most conversation with recruiters as the contested v uncontested step up at AFL is the biggest unknown – ideally we like to see some contested traits or alarm bells tend to ring.

I have found group below incredibly interesting this year as when I was re-watching vision and going through stats I couldn’t help but keep thinking about what an old time recruiting legend told me many years ago – “if they cannot get it at junior level – they don’t find ways to find it at AFL level.” Whilst game has evolved since then I tend to believe that this is recruiting gold when it comes to outside players.

Below I have players in order of preference:

Noah Anderson: - Yes most see him as inside player but I believe he is way more impactful as outside player. Metro coaches got a lot of criticism this year but they got the change for SA game right with Noah – played him on Wing and his impact was dramatically improved. Great size, great runner and great leader. Will make immediate impact at GC – just needs to tidy up his kicking to become the star I think he will be.

Dylan Stephens: - I have mentioned in earlier posts that I am concerned about his contested game – and I am. But I have re-watched more vision and I at least see his intent. Elite runner and good decision maker – I don’t like the Gaff comparisons but I do believe he will develop in to a really good AFL player.

Josh Worrell: - This is obviously an unusual spot for Josh – but that is his attraction. 195cm athlete who can play anywhere. Yes he is laconic and doesn’t interview great – but I see a genuine competitor in Josh. Where can he play – honestly we are yet to know but his shoulder injury has seen him slip down lists and I don’t think he should be dropping so far. Dragons insiders rate him very highly – they will tell you that McAsey, Mahony & Worrell they had well above any other Dragons this year and their finals results reflected their absence.

Jeremy Sharp: - I loved his 2018 Nationals and honestly expected a little more in 2019. That said I still love his work rate and his movement without the ball. I watched him in a couple of WAFL games where he didn’t dominate but his workrate was excellent. Picked by the right club and given time to work on his contested ball I think he develops in to a really nice player.

Mitch O’Neill: - Mitch is a tricky one. Like Sharp he was coming off an excellent 2018 and his 2019 whilst still good (and yes I know All Australian but they have to select some Allies) wasn’t as good as I hoped. I didn’t love watching him as pure inside mid for Mariners as it’s just not his thing – his strength is his 2 way running and his delivery to players on lead. I would love to see him impact scoreboard more but he works hard and gets it so I think there is plenty to work with.

Miles Bergman: - Yes he looks good and he is a good athlete but I am totally shocked he is looked at as a first round pick. Metro games showed promise but elite AFL wingmen and half forwards get high 20’s disposals and he just does not do this at any level. Yes nice long set shot kick – but I have a query on his in play kicking. His resilience as a major query as well – he always seems to have a niggle or concern and has rarely completed testing days which is a concern.

Hugo Ralphsmith: - Hugo and Bergman have been linked by recruiters since 16’s and honestly most of us still have trouble telling them apart. I would have had Hugo ahead of Miles at start of 2019 but honestly his year has been incredibly disappointing. Has been provided good opportunities at Dragons and Metro and failed to take either. I read AFL website article and that confirmed what I thought about Hugo – he has trouble handling the pressure and I am not sure being exposed at AFL will help this. Watched his Nationals vision and he just dropped mark after mark and fumbled groundballs. Again like Bergman – he looks the goods but expecting him to improve at AFL level is too big a stretch for me. I can only see him as a very late or more suitably a Rookie pick for me.

I probably could have included Trent Rivers and Will Day on this list but I think they are both suited in other categories – albeit as both Top 30 players.

You seriously believe if he even had a hint of off field issues he'd have been made head boarder at Rostrevor College the last 2 years and his teachers would be speaking of him in such glowing terms?
Crow till I die ?
I'll second that..My lad goes to Rostrevor and not one teacher there has had anything but high praise for Cam on all levels. He has also exhibited real leadership qualities and is extremely athletic. He also averaged just over 2 goals per game at SANFL league level in his 1st year. This year it was injury that interrupted his year and if the crows could snare him with a 20's pick, I'd be very very happy

Knightmare, if you are GWS what would you do now?

With the team currently in the window and with 3 or 4 really high profile players coming out of contract what do you see as the correct draft play?

Do you think trading up again to get ahead of the Green bid makes sense even if it is done at the expense of losing the 2020 first rounder?

Is the drafting of Green an absolute must given his high talent ceiling vs being a genuine list need?

If the club gets ahead of the bid does it make more sense to draft a speedy half back such as Young or Ash or do they take the long term approach and get Jackson in to cover the ruck position?

Personally I’d rather we overpay and try to get that pick before Green and then take Young as to me he’s like a quarterback who can come in and eventually take over from Shaw and also give us some flexibility to play Williams more in the guts.

I feel with ruck we can just target someone to come in within the next 2 years as Sauce finishes up?

Interested where you see this and what you would do from here?

Ok am now giving my opinions on ‘outside’ players in this Pool.

These are the players that always create the most conversation with recruiters as the contested v uncontested step up at AFL is the biggest unknown – ideally we like to see some contested traits or alarm bells tend to ring.

I have found group below incredibly interesting this year as when I was re-watching vision and going through stats I couldn’t help but keep thinking about what an old time recruiting legend told me many years ago – “if they cannot get it at junior level – they don’t find ways to find it at AFL level.” Whilst game has evolved since then I tend to believe that this is recruiting gold when it comes to outside players.

Below I have players in order of preference:

Noah Anderson: - Yes most see him as inside player but I believe he is way more impactful as outside player. Metro coaches got a lot of criticism this year but they got the change for SA game right with Noah – played him on Wing and his impact was dramatically improved. Great size, great runner and great leader. Will make immediate impact at GC – just needs to tidy up his kicking to become the star I think he will be.

Dylan Stephens: - I have mentioned in earlier posts that I am concerned about his contested game – and I am. But I have re-watched more vision and I at least see his intent. Elite runner and good decision maker – I don’t like the Gaff comparisons but I do believe he will develop in to a really good AFL player.

Josh Worrell: - This is obviously an unusual spot for Josh – but that is his attraction. 195cm athlete who can play anywhere. Yes he is laconic and doesn’t interview great – but I see a genuine competitor in Josh. Where can he play – honestly we are yet to know but his shoulder injury has seen him slip down lists and I don’t think he should be dropping so far. Dragons insiders rate him very highly – they will tell you that McAsey, Mahony & Worrell they had well above any other Dragons this year and their finals results reflected their absence.

Jeremy Sharp: - I loved his 2018 Nationals and honestly expected a little more in 2019. That said I still love his work rate and his movement without the ball. I watched him in a couple of WAFL games where he didn’t dominate but his workrate was excellent. Picked by the right club and given time to work on his contested ball I think he develops in to a really nice player.

Mitch O’Neill: - Mitch is a tricky one. Like Sharp he was coming off an excellent 2018 and his 2019 whilst still good (and yes I know All Australian but they have to select some Allies) wasn’t as good as I hoped. I didn’t love watching him as pure inside mid for Mariners as it’s just not his thing – his strength is his 2 way running and his delivery to players on lead. I would love to see him impact scoreboard more but he works hard and gets it so I think there is plenty to work with.

Miles Bergman: - Yes he looks good and he is a good athlete but I am totally shocked he is looked at as a first round pick. Metro games showed promise but elite AFL wingmen and half forwards get high 20’s disposals and he just does not do this at any level. Yes nice long set shot kick – but I have a query on his in play kicking. His resilience as a major query as well – he always seems to have a niggle or concern and has rarely completed testing days which is a concern.

Hugo Ralphsmith: - Hugo and Bergman have been linked by recruiters since 16’s and honestly most of us still have trouble telling them apart. I would have had Hugo ahead of Miles at start of 2019 but honestly his year has been incredibly disappointing. Has been provided good opportunities at Dragons and Metro and failed to take either. I read AFL website article and that confirmed what I thought about Hugo – he has trouble handling the pressure and I am not sure being exposed at AFL will help this. Watched his Nationals vision and he just dropped mark after mark and fumbled groundballs. Again like Bergman – he looks the goods but expecting him to improve at AFL level is too big a stretch for me. I can only see him as a very late or more suitably a Rookie pick for me.

I probably could have included Trent Rivers and Will Day on this list but I think they are both suited in other categories – albeit as both Top 30 players.

Anderson is one of those where he's good anywhere. I don't see him as being at all limited to playing just inside or forward - but he can absolutely play outside and can play a combination of the three.

Bergman I'm not viewing as an outside player. I look at him more as a flanker who should play more at either end than on a wing. His marking and aerial stuff is his strength. I'd like to see him switched to half-back personally with my view being that's where his talent with his reading/marking/athleticism/long kick where he can become a damaging player worth a pick roughly 18-30 based on my own evaluation. He looks like he can go earlier, but I wouldn't feel comfortable taking him earlier than that.

Knightmare, if you are GWS what would you do now?

With the team currently in the window and with 3 or 4 really high profile players coming out of contract what do you see as the correct draft play?

Do you think trading up again to get ahead of the Green bid makes sense even if it is done at the expense of losing the 2020 first rounder?

Is the drafting of Green an absolute must given his high talent ceiling vs being a genuine list need?

If the club gets ahead of the bid does it make more sense to draft a speedy half back such as Young or Ash or do they take the long term approach and get Jackson in to cover to open Ruck position?

Personally I’d rather we overpay and try to get that pick before Green and then take Young as to me he’s like a quarterback who can come in and eventually take over from Shaw and also give us some flexibility to play Williams more in the guts. I feel with Rick we can just target someone to come in within the next 2 years as Sauce finishes up?

Interested where you see this and what you would do from here?

Green for me is in the Rowell/Anderson conversation. For me it's a clear top 3 and then there is a next roughly 10 who I regard fairly evenly.

I'd do what I need to, to get Green. If Melbourne bid on him (and they're not moving pick 3 by the sound of things), I'd match (GWS may not if Melbourne bid), but he's special and far too good to pass up and would be my priority. I'd make whatever trade necessary from there to get the points to needed to match. Then from there it's probably all mature agers late draft who can fill any positional holes with a view towards win now.

If GWS want a capable defender I'd take Angus Baker with a late pick.

If GWS want a ruckman with a final rookie pick I'd be looking at Bailey Schmidt as someone I consider to have scope to develop, or the other option is just getting someone in the future and addressing the need as it comes up.

Hey Knightmare,

Looking towards the tigers 3 selections (#38, #39 & #41)

Who do you think is going to be the better player and better suited to Richmond?

#38 - Fraser Phillips // Hugo Ralphsmith
#39 - Brock Smith // Darcy Cassar
#41 - Karl Finlay // Dyson Hilder

Thanks mate.

Hey Knightmare,

Looking towards the tigers 3 selections (#38, #39 & #41)

Who do you think is going to be the better player and better suited to Richmond?

#38 - Fraser Phillips // Hugo Ralphsmith
#39 - Brock Smith // Darcy Cassar
#41 - Karl Finlay // Dyson Hilder

Thanks mate.

Not much separation in each case, and honestly none of them would be my best availables at any of those selections.

Phillips/Smith/Hilder ever so slightly for me. Though Smith and Cassar are different types.

Hi KM, got a few questions for you if you can find the time to answer.
as you know the Demons have picks 3 and 8, and I think our greatest needs now are probably a small forward type and a rebounding defender type.
now its anyones guess if that's the way the recruiters see it, or if they just take best available like bidding on Green, but hypothetically if those were indeed the 2 sorts we were targeting (a small fwd + a rebounder), then I guess what i'd like to know from you is-

1) who would you first take at 3.
2) who might then be possible to take at 8.
3) and who would be the best back up option for 8, if the one you want is already taken by then?

cheers.

Last edited:
Hi KM, got a few questions for you if you can find the time to answer.
as you know the Demons have picks 3 and 8, and I think our greatest needs now are probably a small forward type and a rebounding defender type.
now its anyones guess if that's the way the recruiters see it, or if they just take best available like bidding on Green, but hypothetically if those were indeed the 2 sorts we were targeting to fill those roles(a small fwd + a rebounder), then I guess what i'd like to know from you is-

1) who would you first take at 3.
2) who might then be possible to take at 8.
3) and who would be the best back up option for 8, if the one you want is already taken by then?

cheers.

I'd bid on and take Tom Green at 3. GWS may not match. If they do, I'd draft Sam Flanders. He's that next best in this draft and I'd use him predominantly as a forward.

Pick 8 I like and would take Brodie Kemp. Brings added explosiveness and can play midfield or KPP. If Kemp isn't there, and I'm predicting he is, I like Fischer McAsey as a key defender. I feel like both Kemp and McAsey aren't getting spoken about enough, and it's probably in part because some clubs with those earlier picks don't need more KPPs.

For small forwards rather than using one of those early picks I'd be looking late draft. Options a plenty with this draft very deep for general forwards.

Last edited:
I'd bid on and take Tom Green at 3. GWS may not match. If they do, I'd draft Sam Flanders. He's that next best in this draft and I'd use him predominantly as a forward.

Pick 8 I like and would take Brodie Kemp. Brings added explosiveness and can play midfield or KPP. If Kemp isn't there, and I'm predicting he is, I like Fischer McAsey as a key defender.
yeah I have similar thoughts. I was thinking we could take either Serong or Flanders at 3, to play as a small forward who can also go for a burst on ball. and then take either Kemp or Gould at 8, as I think we need a bigger body type than what Young offers and he'll most likely be gone by then anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back