Draft Watcher Knightmare's 2019 Draft Almanac

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
And yet when Geelong didn't trade Kelly and Fremantle didn't trade Hill they both went on to have career best seasons, and their clubs got great trade value for them the following year.
(and Bryce Gibbs)

Hey KM, I’ve seen a few people saying Hawks could take Robertson.. I can’t say I’ve seen enough to make a fair judgement but everything I read makes me feel a little underwhelmed. Do you think he has much room to grow?

Would love either Kemp or Stephens at our pick

I'm a fan of Robertson. During the U18 Champs he won the Larke Medal and on performance matched Rowell/Anderson/Green, if not slightly outplayed them all. I do see further scope to improve. Perhaps not the star potential of those guys, but he can play and perform right away and become a high production mid at AFL level who can keep developing. He's something like an Adam Treloar or Marc Murphy equivalent in this draft and if he puts in the work and joins a good program could have similar success.

I've suggested before in differing threads that the following could be a plausible trade:

Hawks trade Picks 30 & 54 to Richmond for Picks 39, 41 & 56/Future 3rd

Gets Richmond further up the order and gives Hawthorn more points for a Maginness match.

That sort of thing can happen and same story with Port Adelaide with Mead.

Knightmare Is Kemp a huge risk going top 10? If fit would be higher but ACL at his age is a worry. How many kids do an ACL go top 10 and have great careers?

Also who do you see as this years Connor Rozee?

Kemp won't provide immediate performance as a taller guy coming off an ACL. Usually takes another 12 months after they return to the field for them to be fully back.

An ACL is no longer a death sentence for footballers whether done as juniors or while in the league.

Top of mind, I recall Joel Selwood was hurt during his draft year, I believe it was an ACL? If not I'm sure someone else can help me out with some other powerful examples of guys who have done ACLs as juniors and had great careers.

Connor Rozee largely went where he should have last year. I'm not seeing anyone outside of Rowell/Anderson/Green having that level of first season impact. Deven Robertson I can see starting hot on a team that has midfield opportunity to offer.

What are the chances of Cam Taheny sliding a bit? I can't see top 40 tbh. Does he have the acceleration for potential matchups at AFL level 3rd 4th defender types and is hardness an issue? Lovely left leg and shot for goal.

Taheny I have top 40 at this stage, and his range if fairly wide because views differ. Good talent and seems to find his way of kicking a few goals off limited opportunities without finding much of it, which is where the variation if view comes from. I see his speed as only average and view him more as a smart type who finds a way to get it i50 and is a pretty good mark. As you say really nice kick i50 and on goal. Reminds me a fair bit of Daniel Menzel.

Who with though? I can’t see anyone wanting a handful third rounders in this draft. Freo and Port should have enough to match bids without trading out of the top 12. If a bid comes “early” for Henry I think Freo would have much more attractive offers.

not sure

if mcasey goes 13-15 (dogs, cats, suns) maybe Richmond will trade their first and future first for him? pretty good deal for the other team

then again maybe richmond will hold their fire and hope worrell is still there and their first pick

Spoken like a true bluebagger. Watching you make a mess of trade period was comedy gold. Hopefully he goes in the ND and we grab him at 20. He will look great running up and down a wing in our VFL team.
Proof he is not worth a downgrade of a first round pick and a future second rounder !

Kelly and Hill were both under contract not out of contract.

Martin asked for a trade two years in a row and it didn't happen two years in a row.

If Martin was redrafted by Gold Coast sure he may play a few games and do well but I would be my left nut come the second half of the year 'the clue would be in the rack' and he wouldnt risk injury.

Has any side redrafted a player in the PSD that has asked to be traded two years in a row?

AFLPA would not be impressed with that. The player requested twice to be traded but the club refused the first time and failed to the 2nd time.

Why should the player suffer?

HE already did that this year.
I doubt we'll re-draft him

Side note do you think in the future team's will rest and hide players from the champs? (Zone players) A player like green could of slid to 8 or 15 if rested ?

Taheny I have top 40 at this stage, and his range if fairly wide because views differ. Good talent and seems to find his way of kicking a few goals off limited opportunities without finding much of it, which is where the variation if view comes from. I see his speed as only average and view him more as a smart type who finds a way to get it i50 and is a pretty good mark. As you say really nice kick i50 and on goal. Reminds me a fair bit of Daniel Menzel.
Menzel seems a bit more agile and harder at the contest/stronger through the core. I reckon he'll slide, dealing with defensive pressure at AFL and being quick enough to exert decent pressure will be question marks. Interesting to see what happens, I hope the lad makes it.

Menzel seems a bit more agile and harder at the contest/stronger through the core. I reckon he'll slide, dealing with defensive pressure at AFL and being quick enough to exert decent pressure will be question marks. Interesting to see what happens, I hope the lad makes it.
I don't know where the idea Cam Taheny lacks speed is coming from? Cam was right up the pointy end of the 20m sprint at the combine, think you need to watch some more footage, his speed on the lead is very good.

So

Exactly.

Simply do not know why GC didnt just get what they could for him and move on.

Sure making a stand is one thing. In the end the AFL gifted them multiple bonus picks anyway so this is an investment in the future for getting low balled.
Why you keep going on and on about? if you do not know then try not to know about it. We can give you a lot of different opinion here but decision already made by GCS management , you can't change history whether you agree or disagree what GCS management did in trade period.

Last edited:
I don't know where the idea Cam Taheny lacks speed is coming from? Cam was right up the pointy end of the 20m sprint at the combine, think you need to watch some more footage, his speed on the lead is very good.

It's one thing to be quick at tests and another altogether to make a quick decision and react accordingly. I watched the champs games, but theyre not the be all and end all.

It's one thing to be quick at tests and another altogether to make a quick decision and react accordingly. I watched the champs games, but theyre not the be all and end all.
I watched the Championships too, I've also viewed his Norwood games via my SANFL Digital Pass subscription, it is a well known fact Cam carried a groin niggle throughout the Championships along with the heavily strapped knee. He's plenty quick enough, you really need to watch more footage if you think there is anything wrong with his decision making, it's one of his absolute best attributes along with his overhead marking and deadly goal kicking ability. Only thing I could knock about his football is sometimes his effort, attitude and body language don't look the best and it is definitely concerning but you would think that would quickly be ironed out in an elite AFL football environment? If he slips as far as some are predicting the club that finally select him will likely have a bargain IMO.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Side note do you think in the future team's will rest and hide players from the champs? (Zone players) A player like green could of slid to 8 or 15 if rested ?

Don't see it happening, and if it does, the AFL should and no doubt would ensure the practice would not occur.

Ultimately all clubs know about all the players, so it's not like they're hidden anyway. + if they play, the benefit for the kids is having the experience, getting the games under their belt and potentially improving so that the club at seasons end has a better player/s to be picking from and take them with a higher degree of confidence.

I'm a fan of Robertson. During the U18 Champs he won the Larke Medal and on performance matched Rowell/Anderson/Green, if not slightly outplayed them all. I do see further scope to improve. Perhaps not the star potential of those guys, but he can play and perform right away and become a high production mid at AFL level who can keep developing. He's something like an Adam Treloar or Marc Murphy equivalent in this draft and if he puts in the work and joins a good program could have similar success.

That sort of thing can happen and same story with Port Adelaide with Mead.

Kemp won't provide immediate performance as a taller guy coming off an ACL. Usually takes another 12 months after they return to the field for them to be fully back.

An ACL is no longer a death sentence for footballers whether done as juniors or while in the league.

Top of mind, I recall Joel Selwood was hurt during his draft year, I believe it was an ACL? If not I'm sure someone else can help me out with some other powerful examples of guys who have done ACLs as juniors and had great careers.

Connor Rozee largely went where he should have last year. I'm not seeing anyone outside of Rowell/Anderson/Green having that level of first season impact. Deven Robertson I can see starting hot on a team that has midfield opportunity to offer.
Max Gawn has 2 x reco’s and has forged out a mediocre career thus far.

Why you keep going on and on about? if you do not know then try not to know about it. We can give you a lot of different opinion here but decision already made by GCS management , you can't change history whether you agree or disagree what GCS management did in trade period.

You do realise this comment could be made about 99% of the posts on Big Footy.

Management have already decided they wont pick him in the PSD? Must have missed that media statement.

And regarding changing history. Who's trying to do that?

It is one of the more bizar things that has happened recently.

You do realise this comment could be made about 99% of the posts on Big Footy.

Management have already decided they wont pick him in the PSD? Must have missed that media statement.

And regarding changing history. Who's trying to do that?

It is one of the more bizar things that has happened recently.
So what you plan to do ? Bizare or not Bizare I did not said management already decided not to pick him up, I said is not up to you to said Is right or wrong decision about a player not on your list, also is not your responsible to said GCS should take second and third Rd from Carlton. Trading multiple second Rd to Eagles is the most bizare decision GCS management even made not Martin.

Last edited:
I watched the Championships too, I've also viewed his Norwood games via my SANFL Digital Pass subscription, it is a well known fact Cam carried a groin niggle throughout the Championships along with the heavily strapped knee. He's plenty quick enough, you really need to watch more footage if you think there is anything wrong with his decision making, it's one of his absolute best attributes along with his overhead marking and deadly goal kicking ability. Only thing I could knock about his football is sometimes his effort, attitude and body language don't look the best and it is definitely concerning but you would think that would quickly be ironed out in an elite AFL football environment? If he slips as far as some are predicting the club that finally select him will likely have a bargain IMO.
Reminds me a bit of Aaron Fiora. I think he'll get picked up, I just think he'll slide a bit. Just my opinion. I'm gonna guess 50-60. Pretty limited spots for slightly built lead ups at 185cm, normally they're a bit taller 190ish, Lynch (crows), Gunston.

Reminds me a bit of Aaron Fiora. I think he'll get picked up, I just think he'll slide a bit. Just my opinion. I'm gonna guess 50-60. Pretty limited spots for slightly built lead ups at 185cm, normally they're a bit taller 190ish, Lynch (crows), Gunston.
Taheny has a good leap on him which helps him, too fast for talls and his leap makes him hard to stop for smalls.

All of Adelaide's 6 picks are inside 50, I can't see them not taking him well before then let alone other teams.

Honestly mate have a look at the 4 or 5 lengthy video examples of what Taheny is capable of bearing in mind this is SANFL A Grade at the link below and tell me you still think he goes in the 50 -60 range?...

All of Adelaide's 6 picks are inside 50, I can't see them not taking him well before then let alone other teams.

Honestly mate have a look at the 4 or 5 lengthy video examples of what Taheny is capable of bearing in mind this is SANFL A Grade at the link below and tell me you still think he goes in the 50 -60 range?...

45-68

If Taheny is there at Pick 35 and the Pies don’t select him I’ll start rounding up the pitchforks myself. Has similar traits to De Goey as an under 18s player, granted not quite as developed but inconsistency in small forwards is hardly uncommon.

If Taheny is there at Pick 35 and the Pies don’t select him I’ll start rounding up the pitchforks myself. Has similar traits to De Goey as an under 18s player, granted not quite as developed but inconsistency in small forwards is hardly uncommon.
My only concerns are not talent based, he has that in spades but his effort and body language when things aren't going well for him can be a bit worrying at times but I'm like you if he gets to the Crows pick 28 and 37 I can't see us not making the call.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back