Draft Expert Knightmare's 2021 Draft Almanac

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thoughts on Arlo Draper?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Athletic. Has some tricks around goal but then can go through the midfield and win it. He's a first rounder at this stage.

Just outside my top-10 in my power rankings, but barely.

April AFL Draft Power Rankings. First for the year:

Out of Alex Lukic and Jack Williams who’s the better prospect.

Will be interesting to see how much Lukic has improved, and how Williams goes with League footy in the WAFL.

Both can really hit the scoreboard in a big way.

I have them both in the same conversation and don't at this point see separation, so rate of improvement and performance this year will be a major determining factor if you're to ask me again at the end of the year.

Without Lukic playing last year, I'll need to see if he has added to his game/improved since 2019.

KM Is there any kids that you will be looking out for the could go in the mid season draft top 5. And would have gone top 5 in last years national draft if it was a normal year. Also if the bottom 5 clubs at the mid season draft are the same 5 at seasons end in the national draft could they get 2 top kids that would have gone top 5 in 2020 and 2021 national drafts if normal year.

KM Is there any kids that you will be looking out for the could go in the mid season draft top 5. And would have gone top 5 in last years national draft if it was a normal year. Also if the bottom 5 clubs at the mid season draft are the same 5 at seasons end in the national draft could they get 2 top kids that would have gone top 5 in 2020 and 2021 national drafts if normal year.

None overlooked last year looked like they could have been in the top-5 mix last year.

Prior to his injury, some may have thought Kaine Baldwin, but Essendon took him during the preseason supplemental period.

In my AFL Draft preview piece on ESPN I spoke about Callow, Cardillo, Maher, Pescud and L.Young in no particular order as those best from last year's pool overlooked. With improvement, any of those could contend to go mid season, and had the season gone ahead, and U18 Champs happened, any to all of those guys could have been picked.

KM, what’s the word on Taj Woewodin of East Fremantle and Melbourne father/son?

He'll need to keep developing. At this stage not sure he gets picked. But with improvement, he could move up draft boards. Have to see what he can do this year.

A wait and see at this point.

Was wondering, why is Matthew Roberts ahead of the likes of Sinn, Sonsie, Rachele?

Seeing how those NAB League boys have not impacted at AFL level as quickly as possible and seem to have suffered from the year off, I'm anticipating the same of the NAB League boys and as such have them lower than I would have, had the season gone ahead.

Roberts' 2020 play was better than the Victorians from 2019, so until I have evidence the Victorians are playing better footy this year, they'll be lower on my draft board.

On Roberts though, he's a prolific mid and hits the scoreboard in a big way. He's along with Horne at this point that other complete player based off of what I saw from him last year.

Seeing how those NAB League boys have not impacted at AFL level as quickly as possible and seem to have suffered from the year off, I'm anticipating the same of the NAB League boys and as such have them lower than I would have, had the season gone ahead.

Roberts' 2020 play was better than the Victorians from 2019, so until I have evidence the Victorians are playing better footy this year, they'll be lower on my draft board.

On Roberts though, he's a prolific mid and hits the scoreboard in a big way. He's along with Horne at this point that other complete player based off of what I saw from him last year.

the afl site have just pumped up Josh Sinn with an article claiming he has a claim for pick 1 honours 4 hours ago, so you might get some more push back from the masses now, personally, i have not seen enough of Josh Sinn to claim he is in pick 1 contention, i have likened him to a Isaac Smith-type and even though i have enjoyed Smith's career to date, i dont know if he is pick 1 worthy?

as for Horne he is a serious talent, im still yet to see enough of Roberts to date, but i do hear good things about him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

the afl site have just pumped up Josh Sinn with an article claiming he has a claim for pick 1 honours 4 hours ago, so you might get some more push back from the masses now, personally, i have not seen enough of Josh Sinn to claim he is in pick 1 contention, i have likened him to a Isaac Smith-type and even though i have enjoyed Smith's career to date, i dont know if he is pick 1 worthy?

as for Horne he is a serious talent, im still yet to see enough of Roberts to date, but i do hear good things about him.

I'll be watching Sinn tomorrow, so I'll be able to provide an updated opinion then. You're right that he's definitely quick! Though hopefully, and I think this will prove to be the case this year, the contested side to his game will be better.

As with Daicos, I've only seen Sinn play APS Footy, so I'd like to see how he goes against better competition before talking him up to such an extreme.

I don't get the #1 talk though. He hasn't done anything against anyone yet. I can't speak for others, but he's going to have to earn it on my board. Horne is going to be difficult to displace at #1 assuming continued improvement.

I'll be watching Sinn tomorrow, so I'll be able to provide an updated opinion then. You're right that he's definitely quick! Though hopefully, and I think this will prove to be the case this year, the contested side to his game will be better.

As with Daicos, I've only seen Sinn play APS Footy, so I'd like to see how he goes against better competition before talking him up to such an extreme.

I don't get the #1 talk though. He hasn't done anything against anyone yet. I can't speak for others, but he's going to have to earn it on my board. Horne is going to be difficult to displace at #1 assuming continued improvement.
Well there’s clear reason why he’s been thrown into #1 contention without playing a competitive game at the elite junior level, his last name. Very keen to see how he goes tomorrow.

KM who are the better ruck prospects this year?.

Conway for Geelong Falcons I liked in their game v GWV. Dominated through the ruck. He looks good and I'll make reference to him in my weekly wrap. He looks like a genuine good ruckman and will be hard to beat.

Max Heath (Sandy) drew some interest last year and is a chance again this year with a good year, perhaps as soon as the midseason draft if a club is looking to invest in a long term project.

Rhett Bazzo top 5 draft pick this year

Big call to suggest Bazzo should or even could be top-5 this year.

The top-5 will be hard to break into this year, outside of that top 7-8 or so.

Bazzo is still very lightly built, so he'll need to develop like crazy to enter that mix. For me at this stage he's a top 2-4 tall, but I feel like if he's the top tall in this pool, we're struggling.

Conway for Geelong Falcons I liked in their game v GWV. Dominated through the ruck. He looks good and I'll make reference to him in my weekly wrap. He looks like a genuine good ruckman and will be hard to beat.

Max Heath (Sandy) drew some interest last year and is a chance again this year with a good year, perhaps as soon as the midseason draft if a club is looking to invest in a long term project.
What about Sandy’s first choice ruck?

What about Sandy’s first choice ruck?

Heath is Sandy's first choice ruckman. He just did nothing yesterday and will need to improve as other than a few hitouts he did nothing else. I only bring him up given the hype going into last year's draft and all the talk about rapid improvement.

Jacob Edwards though was yesterday at least the more impressive. Edwards at least kicked a couple of goals, found a bit of the ball and took a couple of contested marks. He's another overager but much lighter in build at this stage. He's one to watch if he builds upon that performance and can prove an effective option both through the ruck and up forward this year.

*Note. I didn't get to see the game yesterday as the stream on the ap was down (NAB League need to bring back their Youtube channel so we can review these games at a later date and don't have to use a dodgy ap that doesn't work) - so these notes are based off of what I'm seeing looking at the stats.

Big call to suggest Bazzo should or even could be top-5 this year.

The top-5 will be hard to break into this year, outside of that top 7-8 or so.

Bazzo is still very lightly built, so he'll need to develop like crazy to enter that mix. For me at this stage he's a top 2-4 tall, but I feel like if he's the top tall in this pool, we're struggling.
Im kind of optimistic Rhett Bazzo will be available at Richmonds 1st pick, Do you guys see him as more a defender or a foward at AFL level
Astbury replacement is required ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back