Draft Expert Knightmare's 2021 Draft Almanac

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dewyyyyy

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 28, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Exactly, though it must have been when I went and made a coffee.
I did watch several of his TSL games last year and only the once did I see him play down back for a fair stretch of a game.
He played alot of his defending years in his first under 18 year at TSL level but was moved forward as they really had no one and he could do it at both ends.
He man, I haven’t seen much of you around the draft board, other than recently talking up Callow.

Some of the posters who are engaging you in discussion are long time posters, who have built up reputations here over many years as very good draft watchers, who go to games every week and watch the kids in person.

When they give an insight in to kids, especially if it’s kids from their own State who they watch live, people pay attention and take on board what they’re saying.

It’s great that you’re watching Callow at Box Hill, and he’s improved since being drafted. No one’s wishing ill of the kid, just giving their appraisal of him.
Yeah no problems mate, i watched Callow at TSL level, all of his tassie stuff etc and where he played both as a key defender and forward. Have watched every game of him at BH level and watched a fair amount of him at SANFL level. Alot of up close and personal stuff in Tassie etc.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
He played alot of his defending years in his first under 18 year at TSL level but was moved forward as they really had no one and he could do it at both ends.

Yeah no problems mate, i watched Callow at TSL level, all of his tassie stuff etc and where he played both as a key defender and forward. Have watched every game of him at BH level and watched a fair amount of him at SANFL level. Alot of up close and personal stuff in Tassie etc.
G’day Mr Callow.

Davo-27

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 9, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks
G’day Mr Callow.
I dont think so, Dominic is just super positive about all of our players, first time he praised Seamus Mitchell so much i thought he might be related to him, but over the weeks he has been super positive about a bunch of our players, which is rare when we are 2nd last.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
I dont think so, Dominic is just super positive about all of our players, first time he praised Seamus Mitchell so much i thought he might be related to him, but over the weeks he has been super positive about a bunch of our players, which is rare when we are 2nd last.
Sure he’s not a Tigers supporter?

Sep 22, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls

What has been really impressive for me aside from Callow's individual play has been how team oriented he is. He actively works in game to bring teammates into games. He was doing that in the SANFL every week. Not only crashing packs, bringing the ball to ground for smalls, but all those kicks setting up i50 targets and giving them shots when he could. He seems that kind of good clubman where he almost enjoys the successes of others more than his own success. It comes across watching his games.

I can't say I'm at all surprised hearing this on Callow because it's so consistent with his play.

Dewyyyyy

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 28, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I just love the positives rather than the negatives of players. If you want to know negatives on a player, just let me know and i'll do it haha. No point spreading negative energy about a player's weakness rather instead should look at the positives. Now doesn't always work and constructive criticism works the same.

Dewyyyyy

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 28, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
What has been really impressive for me aside from Callow's individual play has been how team oriented he is. He actively works in game to bring teammates into games. He was doing that in the SANFL every week. Not only crashing packs, bringing the ball to ground for smalls, but all those kicks setting up i50 targets and giving them shots when he could. He seems that kind of good clubman where he almost enjoys the successes of others more than his own success. It comes across watching his games.

I can't say I'm at all surprised hearing this on Callow because it's so consistent with his play.
He's a good bloke, same goes for Jai Newcombe in all the interviews and from what i've seen from Callow in Tassie. Also at BH level.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Sounds like someone still has a chip on their shoulder from last week 😉
lol took me 3 seconds to work out what you were getting at.

Honestly haven’t thought about last weekends game since last weekend.

I’m more invested in the draft than my teams performances. Everyone on the Lions forum knows that.

Sep 22, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
Just wondering where in the Draft you think Hugh Jackson will fall and how you rate him?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I rate Jackson inside my top-15 power rankings (see page 1) though at this point I think he may feature in the second round or thereabouts if I was to complete a phantom draft and slot him in.

Petro

Draftee
May 10, 2021
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Hey KM, Was wondering if you see any of the three main WA KPP's (Van Rooyen, Williams and Amiss) having skillsets that would translate well to defence?

LOZWILDA

All Australian
Feb 24, 2008
SUNBURY
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Diggersrest fc.Tongala fc, Sunbury
How do you see Paul Curtis(western Jets), Jack Newitt(Calder Cannons) & Flynn Lakey(Calder) chances of being drafted or Rookied?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Sep 22, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
Hey KM, Was wondering if you see any of the three main WA KPP's (Van Rooyen, Williams and Amiss) having skillsets that would translate well to defence?

I've been calling for months now Van Rooyen to defence. I think he'd be better in defence than he is forward. He's athletic, a strong mark, reads it well in flight. That's what I want to see in defence.

Williams I have some interest in seeing in defence and with his 1v1 and contested marking capabilities intrigues me also in defence to an extent.

How do you see Paul Curtis(western Jets), Jack Newitt(Calder Cannons) & Flynn Lakey(Calder) chances of being drafted or Rookied?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Lakey is a good mid and while productive is more an outside chance than likely to be picked.

Curtis and Newitt I like the chances of though mid-late draft. Both have impressed over the past couple of months. Curtis is a threat forward of centre and Newitt intriguing as a tall mid with scope to develop.

Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Manchester City, Collingwood AFLW
I've been calling for months now Van Rooyen to defence. I think he'd be better in defence than he is forward. He's athletic, a strong mark, reads it well in flight. That's what I want to see in defence
How do you feel about his defensive performances to date?

Sep 22, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
How do you feel about his defensive performances to date?

I have only seen Van Rooyen up forward.

Can't comment on him in defence as I haven't seen him back there. I just speculate looking at his capabilities it would be a good fit.

If you have seen Van Rooyen back, what have your thoughts been?

Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
I have only seen Van Rooyen up forward.

Can't comment on him in defence as I haven't seen him back there. I just speculate looking at his capabilities it would be a good fit.

If you have seen Van Rooyen back, what have your thoughts been?
He hasn't been overly impressive as a key defender from my POV, looks lost and unsure of himself but that could also be a confidence thing as well, would've been better off playing the season out in colts as a forward

Sep 22, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
He hasn't been overly impressive as a key defender from my POV, looks lost and unsure of himself but that could also be a confidence thing as well, would've been better off playing the season out in colts as a forward

Is he reading it reasonably? Intercepting at all?

What's the sample size of him playing back and at what levels has he received the opportunity?

Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Is he reading it reasonably? Intercepting at all?

What's the sample size of him playing back and at what levels has he received the opportunity?
He's intercepting sure, but dropping easy marks. Played a couple of games there at colts level while filling in during other games

WalshistheGOAT

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Hey Knightmare just wondering which mid/s after the obvious Horne/Daicos picks you would see as the best fit for Carltons future on ball/midfield brigade? I'd say our future line up would be looking like Dow, Walsh, Jack Carroll, Stocker and I'd include Brodie kemp as an outside chance depending, talk is hes grown a few cm so they see him playing as a KPP in future. The rest ie - Setterfield, SPS, O'Brien likely to end up elsewhere from what I've heard so not including them.

Personally I would love to see Callaghan although I've thought you have been more pessimistic on his credentials/future than other draft watchers. Class, penetrative kick and a bit of xfactor with the whole Pendlebury time stop hes got going for him. Think he'd be great paired next to Walsh as he moves more inside as he develops his inside game.

Would love to know your thoughts!

Sep 22, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
Hey Knightmare just wondering which mid/s after the obvious Horne/Daicos picks you would see as the best fit for Carltons future on ball/midfield brigade? I'd say our future line up would be looking like Dow, Walsh, Jack Carroll, Stocker and I'd include Brodie kemp as an outside chance depending, talk is hes grown a few cm so they see him playing as a KPP in future. The rest ie - Setterfield, SPS, O'Brien likely to end up elsewhere from what I've heard so not including them.

Personally I would love to see Callaghan although I've thought you have been more pessimistic on his credentials/future than other draft watchers. Class, penetrative kick and a bit of xfactor with the whole Pendlebury time stop hes got going for him. Think he'd be great paired next to Walsh as he moves more inside as he develops his inside game.

Would love to know your thoughts!

Hopefully Cripps still has a lot of good football ahead of him. Walsh is obviously the star and Cripps hopefully can get back to his better football. Beyond that, it's a wait and see situation with some who may be able supporting pieces, but no obvious next star is certain at this point.

Early draft it's going to be mostly midfielders picked this year as a draft lacking in the way of talls. Finn Callaghan likely won't be available at Carlton's pick but maybe a Matthew Roberts or Josh Ward are as probably aside from Daicos and Horne those two next best midfielders in my mind at least, though across draft boards my impression is there could be some variation in where they're both rated which might mean one or the other slip to Carlton's pick. One or the other could well be good enough to become that #3 midfielder.

I am relatively more pessimistic re. Callaghan than other observers. I see all the talent and the freakish movement through traffic that everyone else does, and he can heavily influence games which is something else I look for, but when looking at midfielders the factor with the highest correlation to success over the years has been contested ball winning and the volume they win plays such a major part. So often when looking at those who go early, the successes are those who can win their own footy and the fails are those who can't. Callaghan is not a high volume contested ball winner (he's low-moderate volume by junior and that may suffice and he can develop well beyond that with more time and work) but seeing him back out of contests and not go hard enough to apply tackles in numerous plays this season has had me asking myself whether he's hard enough, and around stoppages I continue to find him too reliant on receiving, so I do want improvement from him in those competitiveness/contested/tackling/pressure areas before I push his draft case as that next guy after Horne of the non-f/s picks as many currently are.

Sep 22, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
AFL Draft state of play. The top picks, draft bolters, father-son, Academy and NGA prospects you should be watching out for: https://www.espn.com.au/afl/story/_...ghtmare-draft-state-play-everything-need-know

The pick one contenders
At this point in time there are two top contenders and one outside chance.
Collingwood father-son prospect Nick Daicos has starred so far this season and is one of the favourites to feature first overall.
The second contender for the top pick is South Australian midfielder Jason Horne.
The outside chance is Western Bulldogs father-son prospect and son of Luke, Sam Darcy.

Interested in the views of others with the F.S/NGA and Academy players I listed in the piece if there are others I didn't list that people like.

Prochard123

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 28, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Hey Knightmare, if you were to give a player comparison for Nick Daicos, who would it be? From what I've seen, he seems to be similar to Zac Merrett. Although I do hope he has better skills since I rate Merrett as an awful kick.

Also, with our recent midfield draftees over the last few years, do you think we will have enough to work with moving forward, which would allow for more of a key position focus in future drafts?

All of Finlay Macrae, Josh Daicos, Nick Daicos and Caleb Poulter seem to have a decent inside/outside, with all the necessary tools to thrive on the wing at the very least. However on the inside we only have McInnes who seems to be more of a Treloar/Shiel/Bolton type rather than the inside bull that we need (JPK/Lyons/Wines). Do you see Nick Daicos as being able to fulfill this role, or is he better as an accumulator, which means we might need to look for someone like a Will Brodie to complement our midfield?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back