Draft Expert Knightmare's 2021 Draft Almanac

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your 2018 favourite was Jack Lukosius.

2019: Tom Green.
2020: Logan McDonald.

Who's it for 2021?

Favourites sometimes emerge and that may work out to be the case again this year. McDonald emerged for me last year as that guy who ticked all the key boxes I look for in a key forward.

We might have that happen again with one emerging as we go. Early days though Horne and Roberts are possibly the two I'm rating of those early draft types higher than others seem to be. Sonsie possibly also if others are losing faith. I'm not outwardly excited about anyone up the top end as much as I would normally. Horne is probably that only guy I'm seeing where maybe he could be that all-timer if things go right and he becomes an elite ball winner, but he has a long way to go in that regard, as shown with his quiet game on the weekend and v Geelong VFL from a ball winning perspective.

Early days though Horne and Roberts are possibly the two I'm rating of those early draft types higher than others seem to be.
Hard to see you finding a way to rate Horne higher than Number 1

Favourites sometimes emerge and that may work out to be the case again this year. McDonald emerged for me last year as that guy who ticked all the key boxes I look for in a key forward.

We might have that happen again with one emerging as we go. Early days though Horne and Roberts are possibly the two I'm rating of those early draft types higher than others seem to be. Sonsie possibly also if others are losing faith. I'm not outwardly excited about anyone up the top end as much as I would normally. Horne is probably that only guy I'm seeing where maybe he could be that all-timer if things go right and he becomes an elite ball winner, but he has a long way to go in that regard, as shown with his quiet game on the weekend and v Geelong VFL from a ball winning perspective.
Almost everyone has Horne at 1, and if he’s not 1 then he’s 2, and most have Roberts top 5 to top 7.

If you don’t look at others ratings, best not to make such sweeping statements.

Almost everyone has Horne at 1, and if he’s not 1 then he’s 2, and most have Roberts top 5 to top 7.

If you don’t look at others ratings, best not to make such sweeping statements.

I would have thought Daicos would be a popular #1 on more than just a minority of boards by now. I'm surprised there aren't more disagreeing with me on Horne at #1 given their relative starts to the year.

I would have thought Daicos would be a popular #1 on more than just a minority of boards by now. I'm surprised there aren't more disagreeing with me on Horne at #1 given their relative starts to the year.
No one on BigFooty has Daicos at 1. There are 5/6 other draft watchers here commenting on the 2021 draft, and all of them have Horne at 1.

And Roberts is at 3 on two rankings, at 8 on two rankings, and somewhere in between on the others.

No one on BigFooty has Daicos at 1. There are 5/6 other draft watchers here commenting on the 2021 draft, and all of them have Horne at 1.

And Roberts is at 3 on two rankings, at 8 on two rankings, and somewhere in between on the others.

Interesting and not what I would have expected. More than not from my own network have Daicos at #1 with a few even of the view that he's an outright #1.

Can't say I do.

I only watch NAB League/SANFL/WAFL/VFL/U18 Champs and in years past APS football (VIC).

I'm only one person and only have so many hours in my day, so I have to prioritise my attention.

Any footage of any players of draft relevance from Canberra though I'm more than happy to look over if there is anyone you feel is worth a look.
How to you get access to watch all these leagues?

Where are they televised

How to you get access to watch all these leagues?

Where are they televised

I might complete a video on some of this.

For a quick summary.

NAB League is all through the NAB League ap. Formerly it was YouTube which was great because you could actually watch the games back at your convenience but the ap is just watching the games live with no playback. It's been glitchy with eg. the Oakleigh v Sandy game stream not working at all and another game I wanted to watch the stream didn't work until either the second quarter or second half. So it's not great.

SANFL you can get the season pass through their website $50 for all games from all SANFL competitions. Some games will also be on channel 7 if you don't want to buy the pass.

WAFL you have some games on YouTube, others on channel 7, others on The West website ($1 per day. Min days and I learnt the hard way so you don't have to - is 28 days and it's only one games per week across the different competitions).

VFL some on channel 7, Kayo sport have others.

Unsure if Foxfooty also do any state league matches, but they usually do some U18 Champs games. Sometimes other U18 Champs games that haven't been televised have also been found on YouTube previously, though don't rely on it as these are few and far between.

Interesting and not what I would have expected. More than not from my own network have Daicos at #1 with a few even of the view that he's an outright #1.
Mate, if you don’t actually look other people’s rankings you really shouldn’t make such comments then.

Similarly you probably shouldn’t say you’re talking about a kid that no one else is, if you’re not actually reading what other people are writing about.

I remember in 2019 you wrote on here about a kid, talking about how he’s underrated and no one was talking about him, (sorry I don’t actually remember which kid, I do remember my reaction at the time) when just two days before he was mentioned by another draft watcher on here and there was a two page discussion about the kid.

I know you are only one person, writing for ESPN, but there are other draft publications that have multiple full time, part time and intern staff that cover every league live in person, attend all the tournaments, or watch all the coverage, interview kids and coaches, and have access to data and information you don’t, so it would be very, very rare where you might actually discuss a kid first.

There are a few full VFL games on Youtube each week.

Also, the AFL website has extended highlights for VFL games.

Playing lists for VFL listed players are availiable here:

How strong is this draft looking early in the season?

Below average to average.

Nothing special up the top end or for depth.

Mate, if you don’t actually look other people’s rankings you really shouldn’t make such comments then.

Similarly you probably shouldn’t say you’re talking about a kid that no one else is, if you’re not actually reading what other people are writing about.

I remember in 2019 you wrote on here about a kid, talking about how he’s underrated and no one was talking about him, (sorry I don’t actually remember which kid, I do remember my reaction at the time) when just two days before he was mentioned by another draft watcher on here and there was a two page discussion about the kid.

I know you are only one person, writing for ESPN, but there are other draft publications that have multiple full time, part time and intern staff that cover every league live in person, attend all the tournaments, or watch all the coverage, interview kids and coaches, and have access to data and information you don’t, so it would be very, very rare where you might actually discuss a kid first.

I don't follow u16s, or what now is the u17s, so I'm sure there will always be people talking about particular players before myself somewhere.

If you were looking at a heading on ESPN, that would be because I have no control over any titles/headings and ESPN's editors choose those.

If a discussion about a particular player happens on bigfooty, unless it's in my thread or unless someone links me to a particular thread, I won't come across it. And if a discussion among fans is happening on bigfooty, that isn't media or people inside clubs talking about a particular player.

Might you be referring to my yearly 10 most underrated prospects piece which I write yearly for ESPN? If so, that's an opinion piece where I'm listing 10 players I rate highest relative to where I think they may get drafted, or in some cases players I don't know will get drafted but feel should on performance or potential.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

KM, I went and watched Mentone Grammar play in AGSV last weekend and Mitch Owens who is on Sandy Dragons list stood out and just looked like he had it, tall, athletic good frame and seemed to be able to run. Would he be on the radar?

Also when do Vic Metro squads get announced?

KM, I went and watched Mentone Grammar play in AGSV last weekend and Mitch Owens who is on Sandy Dragons list stood out and just looked like he had it, tall, athletic good frame and seemed to be able to run. Would he be on the radar?

he is one of 12 Sandringham players who i have taken note of this year, he is a possible to be drafted, maybe late? imo.

If a discussion about a particular player happens on bigfooty, unless it's in my thread or unless someone links me to a particular thread, I won't come across it. And if a discussion among fans is happening on bigfooty, that isn't media or people inside clubs talking about a particular player.

Might you be referring to my yearly 10 most underrated prospects piece which I write yearly for ESPN? If so, that's an opinion piece where I'm listing 10 players I rate highest relative to where I think they may get drafted, or in some cases players I don't know will get drafted but feel should on performance or potential.
There are other media people here.

There are three active draft watchers and writers for AFL Draft Central here, one based in SA and two in Vic.

This is what I mean, you’re not aware what goes on on BigFooty outside your thread. Which is fair enough, you work full time and don’t have time to read everyone.

But also by your own admission, you don’t read other media either, so you can’t claim no one is talking about players, if you don’t know what other people are writing.

It wasn’t a piece you wrote for ESPN, it was a kid you mentioned in your thread on here.

Strong contested grab and is athletic from what I've seen.

Not yet someone I'd be prepared to stick into my top-50 if I was to make one, but one who with some strong performances could earn some attention.

Expect the Vic Metro squad to be announced late May or early June based off past history.

Last edited:
Below average to average.

Nothing special up the top end or for depth.

I don't follow u16s, or what now is the u17s, so I'm sure there will always be people talking about particular players before myself somewhere.

If you were looking at a heading on ESPN, that would be because I have no control over any titles/headings and ESPN's editors choose those.

Hi mate,

Fair enough you never watched the U16- two years prior to draft year. But why not watch the U17 now it has changed? This will eventually lead to a position which means will never see or know draft age kids until March of their draft year. In previous years, you would have seen the better 17 year olds who were bottom aged in the U18’s but now you’re saying you won’t follow the u17’s so will effectively not know any kids until the footy season starts in their draft year.

If I’m following correctly. I understand you’re not really interested in anyone until their draft year but how will you get a gauge at all as in my calculations, the first time you see a kid is six months out from draft night.

Hi mate,

Fair enough you never watched the U16- two years prior to draft year. But why not watch the U17 now it has changed? This will eventually lead to a position which means will never see or know draft age kids until March of their draft year. In previous years, you would have seen the better 17 year olds who were bottom aged in the U18’s but now you’re saying you won’t follow the u17’s so will effectively not know any kids until the footy season starts in their draft year.

If I’m following correctly. I understand you’re not really interested in anyone until their draft year but how will you get a gauge at all as in my calculations, the first time you see a kid is six months out from draft night.

A good point re. watching u17s having value and I don't disagree with the value of watching. Those watching aren't wasting their time.

I look at the equation as a case of opportunity cost. And when that's the case, it comes down to prioritising.

I'm hoping some of the better u17s in the case of NAB League end up playing alongside this year's draft class so that I know at least some of the top end ones.

At the end of the day my priority is watching enough NAB League, SANFL (league/u18s), WAFL (league/colts) and VFL as my reporting focus is always on the current draft with that what people want to hear about. And I'm always watching my share of AFL games also. Being across all those competitions, and needing to have the games all watched before I submit my weekly wraps to ESPN on Tuesday, watching u17s would take away from that and impact on my decision making and reporting on this year's pool.

If the u17 championships and/or u17 Victorian games get uploaded to YouTube or somewhere where I can view them at my own leisure on a weekday I'd be very interested in tuning in. But until/unless that's the case, I'll be relying on next year's prospects playing against this year's draft pool.

Not really just his big numbers and he’s a knockabout country lad. Tiser usually does a pump up for a kid then they go either two ways. Get feeling Hugh may be like Jamieson Murphy they rated massively last year then no one took him.

May rankings coming out soon, don't steal my thunder man :think: :tearsofjoy:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back