Remove this Banner Ad

knightwheelrqr

Club Legend
Sep 21, 2009
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
*Not all descriptions are complete and will continue to add them in the lead up to the draft. Feel free to ask questions about any prospects including those who I have not had time to write up descriptions for. Will add more when I know how many players each club is delisting and after trade week.
Last updated Sunday 26th September.
Been having trouble logging into this account so I now operate under the new username: Knightmare

#1 (Gold Coast) – David Swallow (WA)
Height: 186cm, Weight: 83kg, DOB: 19/11/1992
Recruited from: East Fremantle
Style: Joel Selwood
Range: 1
Why: Played for Gold Coast all season in the VFL and there is no doubt they will pick him with one of their first three selections. Really a complete package who will come into the league and be a very good player immediately. No surprise he will go no.1

#2 (Gold Coast) – Harley Bennell (WA)
Height: 180cm, Weight: 70kg, DOB: 2.10.1992
Recruited from: Pinjarra JFC
Style: Daniel Wells
Range: 2
Why: Reminds me a bit of Daniel Wells. Lightly built but has all the attributes to become a star. Smooth mover. Very much one touch. Fast as anything. Reads the play really well and can play forward, back or midfield which makes him very versatile. Provides great run and carry. Good decision maker and uses the ball well when going forward. I don’t rate him as high as some but he was without a doubt the best player in the championships and lock him into this selection.

#3 (Gold Coast) – Sam Day (SA)
Height: 195cm, Weight: 90kg, DOB: 6.09.1992
Style: Kurt Tippett/ Jack Watts
Range: 3
Why: Super athletic KPP with a huge vertical leap as well as great speed and agility. From a basketball and baseball background. Has a huge future ahead of him with some of the special things he can do. Unbelievable leap. Great upside and potential being the athlete he is. Has the potential to become bigger without losing much athleticism with his body type. Very strong mark overhead and on the lead. Marks out in front which will make him hard to stop with his lead. Has clean hands. Smart player. Few years away at this stage but all signs are indicating he could develop into a monster. Has incredibly high upside and the Gold Coast are sold on Day I’m certain. Will likely play in season 1, but expect him to start to come on in season 2, 3 and beyond.

#4 (West Coast) – Dyson Heppell (VIC)
Height: 186cm, Weight: 82kg, DOB: 9/01/1992
Recruited from: Sandringham Dragons
Style: Lindsay Gilbee/ Luke Hodge
Range: 4-13
Why: I think this will be a very interesting pick for West Coast. Can play well down back or in the midfield comfortably. He’s all class with that long left foot, he uses the ball very well on the way out of defence and you don’t see him get beaten on many occasions. He really set up a lot of play. From basketball background. Nice speed. Bit of flair. One touch. Can mark strongly for his size. Has a bit of courage. Solid all round player. Awarded best player for Vic Country in the U18 championships and is a pure best available selection which is always the best method with early selections. Great to see him starting to get recognised as a top 5 selection. West Coast have enough backs but I’m confident Heppell has the flexibility to play a number of positions.

#5 (Gold Coast) – Tom Lynch (VIC)
Height: 196cm, Weight: 86kg, DOB: 31/10/1992
Recruited from: Dandenong
Style: Jarrad Grant
Range: 5-25
Why: High upside key position forward from a basketball background. Very athletic. Very high upside. Strong mark. Seems clever. Has good ground level skills. Was a surprise in the U18 champs and since has continued his dramatic improvement. Moves very well for his height. Sometimes plays like a six foot five ruck rover. Really interesting prospect. Will take a few years to develop, but with time he could develop into a very, very good key position forward. Lynch has moved up the draft order in a real hurry and don’t be surprised to see him land here.

#6 (Richmond) – Daniel Gorringe (SA)
Height: 198cm, Weight: 85kg, DOB: 02/06/1992
Recruited from: Norwood
Style: Nic Naitanui
Range: 4-11
Why: Damien Hardwick values talls highly and I’m starting to think the Richmond selection will be whichever of Lynch/ Gorringe are available. Gorringe has an incredible vertical leap and his smarts by jumping early and working the angles. Another strength Gorringe has is his ability to push forward to effect and hurt the opposition. Likely with Richmond would play some games in season 1, but should become more of a regular in season 2, 3 or 4. Athletic talent who once developed though I expect will develop into an outstanding player.

#7 (Gold Coast) – Brodie Smith (SA)
Height: 188cm, Weight: 79kg, DOB: 14/01/1992
Recruited from: Woodville West Torrens
Style: Chris Judd
Range: 4-16
Why: At this stage in the draft would be an interesting selection but don’t discount him as a top 10 possibility. Good clearance player with elite first step and breakaway speed. Exceptional work rate around the clearances. Runs hard. Continuously wins the contested footy and gets it forward. Competitive, a good mark, strong in contests, with the ability to shrug tackles with a shake of the hips. He’s also fast, and he hits the ball at pace. Is good at clearances and contested ball (especially for his size), but grabs the ball and runs with near electrifying speed. Has the ability to burst packs. Great at shaking tackles. Can also play down back, but I like him most as an inside receiver. Not a big fan of his kicking but otherwise a very good package who could become a star with some of the attributes he possesses. Do I rate Atley and Gaff ahead of Smith? I don’t think there is much between them so this is more plausible than many have considered.

#8 (Essendon) – Jayden Pitt (VIC)
Height: 187cm, Weight: 70kg, DOB: 07/10/1992
Recruited from: Geelong
Style: Scott Pendlebury
Range: 5-25
Why: Clever player. Along with Heppell would have to be one of the elite kicks of the draft. Very skinny now but I think this kid will be a star once he develops. Poise and pin point kicking on either side are his strengths along with his ability to read the play. I really like this selection of Pitt here for Essendon. Last year Essendon selected Melksham as an inside midfielder and I do think they still need to add more inside midfielders, but I think even more so they need some players with elite footskills and this is exactly what Pitt brings to the table. If Essendon went inside mid here Shaun Atley or Brodie Smith would both be outstanding selections here depending on who is available. Pitt is rated by a fair number in the late teens, but I think he might be a real surprise selection here and go higher than expected. Pitt will be a late riser for mine. Atley and Gaff even though available I like this selection even if he might not be the clear best available to everyone.

#9 (Gold Coast) – Billie Smedts (VIC)
Height: 187cm, Weight: 77kg, DOB: 08/06/1992
Recruited from: Geelong
Style: Dale Thomas
Range: 7-25
Why: Very clean and smart user of the footy. Seems to have so much time. Good under pressure. Good skills. Has played most of his junior career as a forward but is equally adept down back. Good ball user. Very clean. Clever footballer. Agile. Good overhead. Very high upside. Many rate this kid in the teens but I think he might go a fair bit higher. This kid has star potential and should be in the top 10 conversation. This kid just seems to have it and would be an outstanding fit into the Gold Coast forwardline. Late riser for mine and just adds something a little special.

#10 (Brisbane) – Joel Wilkinson (QLD)
Height: 183cm, Weight: 78kg, DOB: 29/11/1991
Recruited from: Broadbeach
Style:
Range: 10-43
Why: Just looks like a footballer and ticks a lot of boxes that you would want in a young draftee. Not sure where he will go but one thing is for sure we are going to enjoy watching him play AFL. Exciting player from an athletics background who is an outstanding sprinter and can jump through the roof. Only really played AFL for two years now, but he has showed immediate potential and gee he has developed quickly in a short space of time! Can do some really special things. Has the right attitude and is really motivated to make a career in footy happen and after such a short time in the game he has already developing into a star. He loves his footy. He has the right character and really is looking for a challenge. Really looking forward to seeing this guy play. He exudes responsibility and leadership. Future captain material. Overage prospect. Many rate him in the 2nd round, but I think he will be a late riser and I see think he will shine at the draft combine in both the athletic testing and the interviews. Midfielder who can also play on a half back flank. Needs to learn how to bounce the ball a bit better on the run, still needs to become more natural for him. Would really recommend him here for Brisbane. I can see him developing into an out and out star who the Gold Coast. I just see Wilkinson being a great fit next to Rich and Harwood in the midfield in a couple of years time.

#11 (Gold Coast) – Jarrad Polec (SA)
Height: 188cm, Weight: 77kg, DOB: 12/10/1992
Recruited from: Woodville West Torrens
Style: Brendan Goddard/ Chris Knights
Range: 4-16
Why: Very clean and smart user of the footy. Seems to have so much time. Good under pressure. Good skills. Goal kicking wingman. Good balance and poise. Long penetrating kick. Runs well with the footy. Can play inside or outside but I like him more as an outside mid. Has allot of AFL attributes and there is a fair bit to work with here. Could be a big time contributor and impact player. Can see him winning a fair few games off his own boot.

#12 (Melbourne) – Shaun Atley (VIC)
Height: 187cm, Weight: 82kg, DOB: 13/09/1992
Recruited from: Murray
Player comparison: Luke Hodge/ Brendan Goddard
Style: 4-12
Why: Hard running midfielder who is agile and quick. Has a super first step, gets through traffic well and has super acceleration. Has exceptional awareness and very quick hands. Can play inside or outside, but I see him as more of an inside player with the skill set he has. Tackles hard and is good in traffic. Can also play across half back. Has all the attributes to develop into a very good AFL footballer. While Melbourne are loaded with top quality midfielders and in need of more key position players with Atley available here he represents an absolute bargain and he is pretty hard to pass up at this stage for mine.

#13 (Gold Coast) – Andrew Gaff (VIC)
Height: 183cm, Weight: 78kg, DOB: 16/06/1992
Recruited from: Oakleigh Chargers
Style: Bryce Gibbs/ Steele Sidebottom/ Luke Power/ Ben Cousins
Range: 4-13
Why: Absolutely outstanding prospect. His work ethic and application to his footy is second to none and as a player lock him in for a very long career with the way he goes about his footy. Has great versatility and can play midfield, up forward or down back comfortably. Is viewed by many as more of an outside player but I think his inside skills are very much under rated and I see them developing well so he could play either to a very high standard at AFL level. Really a very good all round player who while not as athletic as Atley offers an outstanding package. One thing that stands out with Gaff is that he is a gut runner. Fantastic work rate and skills are very good. Future leadership material here. Some say Gaff lacks hurt factor which is my greatest criticism of him and for an outside mid he certainly could do with a greater weapon. Also has a bit of an outside receiving feel. At this stage shapes to be one of the bargains of the draft if indeed he does slide this far and I’m very confident he can iron out all these weaknesses and become a very productive player for a very long time at AFL level.

#14 (Adelaide) – Ben Jacobs (VIC)
Height: 186cm, Weight: 82kg, DOB: 9/01/1992
Style: Josh Drummond/ Shannon Hurn
Range: 10-23
Why: Provides great rebound from defence. Clean user of the ball and fantastic reader of the play. Boasts a penetrating left foot. Kicking good when he has space and time so more of an outside player. Has really got his body into good condition this season and is a pretty powerful unit. Is a player who can run 20m and kick it 60m. Reads the play well and sets up offense. Offensive side of his game very good and needs to work a little on his defensive side but there is a fair bit to like here. On quality is probably a minimum top 20 and likely top 15 selection. During the U18 championships had a dominant 47 possession game off half back which was an outstanding effort.

#15 (Gold Coast) – Patrick McCarthy (SA)
Height: 194cm, Weight: 79kg, DOB: 11/03/1992
Recruited from: Glenelg
Style: Grant Birchall/ Ben Reid
Range: 7-20
Why: Key position defender. Clean hands and feet. Provides some run out of defence. Displays real leadership and could later on be captain material. Hasn’t always played as a backman and was once a ruckman so I see allot of development still once he learns the position. Has a skinny frame but he should add to that with time. One criticism of McCarthy when I have seen him down back is that he has the feel of an oversized half back flanker in the way Grant Birchall does for Hawthorn. Maybe when he develops more physically hopefully he can turn into something more like Collingwood’s Ben Reid.

#16 (Port Adelaide) – Scott Lycett (SA)
Height: 202cm, Weight: 95kg, DOB: 26/09/1992
Recruited from: Port Adelaide
Style: Dean Cox
Range: 6-19
Why: Good hands. For his height, very agile and has great mobility. I don’t think he will lose much athleticism as he adds muscle. After Gorringe, Lycett is the other standard out ruckman and the only other ruckman in the 1st round conversation. At this stage a good value selection and with the way Port Adelaide have drafted since their existence where they have valued ruckman over the years and with Coach Matthew Primus now in charge I think he would like this selection allot.

#17 (North Melbourne) – Patrick Karnezis (VIC)
Height: 191cm, Weight: 77kg, DOB: 23/04/1992
Style: Steve Johnson/ Nat Fyfe
Range: 17-43
Why: Team focused tall forward who is very comfortable setting team mates for shots on goal. Can play as a high half forward and provide a strong target there. Strong mark overhead and can kick some tricky goals. Clever lead up forward who has great footy smarts. Deceptively tall and hard to matchup on. Finds space inside 50. Fair bit of upside here and has flown a little under the radar here. Could turn out to be a bit of a Nat Fyfe type selection for North Melbourne which would have to be appealing.

#18 (Carlton) – Matt Watson (VIC)
Height: 194cm, Weight: 99kg, DOB: 16/07/1992
Recruited from: Calder Cannons
Style: Michael Hurley/ Brian Lake
Likely destinations: 7-20
Why: Reads the play well. Strong mark overhead, has a thumping left foot and is a big readymade key position defender who can also play forward. Good enough to contribute from season 1.Might get a little exposed on the lead with his slight lack of leg speed but otherwise I like Watson allot. On style really reminds me of Brian Lake allot with the way he provides good rebound from defence.

#19 (Hawthorn) – Aaron Young (VIC)
Height: 188cm, Weight: 76kg, DOB: 6/12/1992
Recruited from: Eastern Ranges
Style:
Range: 17-49
Why: Athletic player with the hardness that Hawthorn traditionally love in their players. Very strong mark overhead for his size. See him as an outside mid who could play forward or back if need be. Foot skills passable without being brilliant. Just adds the speed Hawthorn is looking for in an outside mid since they have been looking a tad slow in recent times.

#20 (Fremantle) – Lucas Cook (VIC)
Height: 194cm, Weight: 82kg, DOB: 03/03/1992
Recruited from: Nth Ballarat
Style:
Range: 12-24
Why: Key position forward who has the versatility to also play down back. Ultimately see him as more of a forward though and would be the ideal full forward long term. Has some footy smarts. Fair bit of upside to work with here. At this stage is a good value pick.

#21 (Sydney) – Jack Darling (WA)
Height: 190cm, Weight: 86kg, DOB: 16.6.1992
Recruited from: Sacred Heart College
Style: Jonathan Brown (undersized)/ Aaron Hamill
Range: 4-31
Why: Strong marking forward. The standout feature of his game is his 2nd and 3rd efforts along with his quality forward pressure. Reads the play well. Strong mark overhead and has a thumping left foot and is a big bodied readymade KPF who could easily play from season 1. Has questions about his attitude. Possibly an early bloomer considering he hasn’t really developed this season. At his height it is questionable whether he will grow anymore, indications point to no because he hasn’t grown since the 2009 U18 champs. Tackles hard and aggressively. Bit of a body on body player, so with the step up it’s hard to say how he will cope again because of his lack of height. Good ball user. Likes the contest. If anything he could eventually become a mid despite having played juniors as a forward. One of the more interesting players in this draft in many regards. Was a highly rated junior, but hasn’t continued his form this season. Could become a star, or could become a big time bust. But whatever he becomes a club will take a chance, and he is really one of the great unknowns of this draft in many regards.

#22 (Western Bull Dogs) – Mitch Wallis (F/S) (VIC)
Height: 185cm, Weight: 79kg, DOB: 24/10/1992
Style: Robert Harvey
Range: 22/40
Why: Wins contested ball and clearances as well as providing run and receive. Smart user of the footy by hand and foot. Courageous. Can play inside or outside well, but I see him as more of an inside mid long term. Lacks a little penetration but his short kicking is outstanding. Good decision maker and also very good by hand. This selection will either be Wallis or Liberatore, both top 15 quality in this draft and both bargains. The order they get selection is as relevant as who went no.1 in last year’s draft, just doesn’t matter. Both very good quality players. You would think after Wallis’ Tac Cup grand final efforts that he might get selected higher.

#23 (Geelong) – Dion Prestia (VIC)
Height: 175cm, Weight: 81kg, DOB: 12/10/1992
Style: David Rodan/ Leigh Montagna/ Daniel Kerr/ Paul Chapman
Range: 18-43
Why: Very powerful and has great ball winning ability, pace, agility, strength and a nice long penetrating kick. It is considered by some that he may have limited scope to improve due to height but others with similar bodies have made it so no reason why Prestia won’t. Can play inside, outside and play whatever role you need him to. The good thing about him is that he can help immediately with his readymade body and he does have the attributes to be a very good player. With his pace and ability to play straight away both of which would suit Geelong perfectly.

#24 (St. Kilda) – Reece Conca (WA)
Height: 182cm, Weight: 75kg, DOB: 12.8.1992
Recruited from: Victoria Park JFC
Style:
Range: 14-38
Why: Strong over the ball, clever player with some footy smarts, nice evading skills. Unobtrusive playing style and draws away from packs well. Great utility who can play midfield, forward or back. Has good 360 degree awareness. If he goes to ground he will get straight back up so quick it can sometimes be frightening. Has a little bit of class. Full package. Big wraps on this kid in WA. Ready to play sooner rather than later.

#25 (Collingwood) – Kieran Harper (VIC)
Height: 187cm, Weight: 78kg, DOB: 5/06/1992
Recruited from: Eastern Ranges
Style: Steve Johnson
Range: 9-35
Why: HFF/ outside mid. A guy who you just naturally love watching play. Special player who simply knows where the goals are. Classy ball user who also has a burst of speed. Everything he does is quality. Reminds me of a Steve Johnson in many respects. Has had a few injury problems. Probably doesn’t get enough of his own ball or get enough of it for my liking and the fact that he does have the feel of a flanker rather than a midfielder might put some off but despite all this I think Harper is the perfect fit for Collingwood if available as a forward to release Beams and Sidebottom into the midfield. Just has all the attributes to become a very successful player at AFL level and I think he could become a star of the competition in the right team. If available for the Pies I would not pass him up if available.

#26 (West Coast) – Jed Lamb (VIC)
Height: 182cm, Weight: 77kg, DOB: 23/08/1992
Style: Marc LeCras/ Amon Buchanan
Range: 10-31
Why: Good at evading, has speed to burn, classy, good overhead, clean, knows where the goals are and probably the best shot on goal from anywhere in this draft, takes pride in it. A guy who just makes you smile to watch. Has the Kyle Reimers boots. Can push into the midfield but looks most comfortable as a forward. I am still split as to whether he should be a 1st or 2nd rounder but word has it most clubs consider him a 1st rounder so I’ll keep him here for now.

#27 (Gold Coast) – Mitch Hallahan (VIC)
Height: 182cm, Weight: 77kg, DOB: 23/08/1992
Style: Lenny Hayes
Range: 8-36
Why: Hard as nails. Doesn’t shy away from the contest and will put his body on the line. Has a bit of penetration on his kick. Good decision maker. Was outstanding for Vic Country in the U18 champs. At this stage is a really solid selection and might offer the Gold Coast a real solid citizen who should play for a long time.

#28 (West Coast) – Sam Crocker (VIC)
Height: 180cm, Weight: 73kg, DOB: 12/03/1992
Recruited from: Oakley Chargers
Style:
Range: 25-44
Why: Can play as either a mid or forward comfortably. Could also see him playing down back. Strong overhead. Has a dynamo kick which sets him apart from others and is a very good decision maker. Very athletic and I think he will develop into more of an outside player. Good sprinter, probably doesn’t run and carry as he probably could but once he adds that area to his game I think he can become a very good player. I have a feeling Crocker might be a late riser and could even push in the first round as a late selection. Doesn’t have the profile of other higher rated kids but certainly has the talent and is one to look out for.

#29 (Richmond) – Cameron Guthrie (VIC)
Height: 186cm, Weight: 79kg, DOB: 19/08/1992
Style:
Range: 16-42
Why: Versatile mid who can also play forward, back pretty comfortably. Can win the contested ball and can lock down on players. Defensive side of his game is very good. Consistent player who has good hands and is generally a good decision maker. Looks like a very solid citizen who could have a long career.

#30 (Essendon) – Luke Parker (VIC)
Height: 182cm, Weight: 82kg, DOB: 25/10/1992
Style: Marc Murphy
Range: 8-30
Why: Parker at this stage really represents outstanding value here if available and could very easily go 10 + positions higher, but with very little separating anyone in the top 40 someone will have to slide. Parker is a big time accumulator who was not incredible during the u18 championships which has probably seen him drop to this stage but he has a really high work rate and wins plenty of contested possessions. Very strong mark overhead for his size. Not super speedy but has good body strength for his size. Handy goal kicking midfielder who could fit into this team well and sooner rather than later. Upside is questionable but a very solid selection who if available Essendon need not think twice about.

#31 (Brisbane) – Josh Green (TAS)
Height: 179cm, Weight: 78kg, DOB: 24/08/1992
Recruited from: Clarence
Style: Jason Akermanis/ Brent Harvey
Range: 17-41
Why: Excellent inside ball winner with a very nice skill set. Has great speed, endurance, and is a big time ball winner and good user of the ball. Loves kicking a goal and is an expert around the stoppages. Hard runner. Has speed around the ball. Has clean handling and ball use on both sides of the body. He can also go forward and kick some goals, remember a Jason Akermanis goal on the right from the boundary during the u18 champs. Another red head kid you will notice and we all know how Vossy loves his red heads. At this stage a good value selection.

#32 (Melbourne) – Josh Caddy (VIC)
Height: 186cm, Weight: 81kg, DOB: 28/09/1992
Recruited from: Northern Knights
Style: Luke Ball (early career)/ Michael Voss/ Ben Cunnington
Range: 8-32
Why: Caddy is a courageous tough nut who isn’t afraid to put his body on the line. He thinks he is a bull with the way he plays. Tackles hard and when moved forward can kick his share of goals. Very good kick of the footy. At U18 level he relies too much on physically beating his opponents which may not translate at AFL level because there will be bigger, stronger bodies who he will struggle against. But at this stage really represents outstanding value and could easily go 10 + positions higher than this. Upside is a little questionable with his style of play but he should be able to play sooner rather than later and represents outstanding value at this stage. While Melbourne don’t need more mids at this stage with Caddy available why not go for the value and pick up some KPPs later?

#33 (Adelaide) – Jamie Cripps (WA)
Height: 182cm, Weight: 78kg, DOB: 23.4.1992
Recruited from: Northampton GNFL
Style: Bradley Sheppard
Range: 14-38
Why: Linebreaking mid in Bradley Sheppard mold/ Travis Colyer. Plays with confidence. Quick run and carry player. Picks up the ball cleanly. Doesn’t fumble. Works hard and will provide the 2nd and 3rd efforts consistently. Chases hard. Small defender who can play up the ground. Reminds me a little of Bradley Sheppard. Good reader of the play. Kicking is ok on both sides. Applies good defensive pressure around the stoppages. His tackling doesn’t stick as much as I’d like but the effort he gives is nice and with time I think that is an area he will become quite good at. Has a bit of fire in him. Could be a late riser and could go 1st round.

#34 (Port Adelaide) – Alex Fasolo (WA)
Height: 182cm, Weight: 80kg, DOB: 8.6.1992
Style:
Range: 20-45
Why: Goalkicking midfielder. Looked good in the u18 champs. Good mover in heavy traffic. Kicking and decision making skills are very good. Good clearance player. Good reader of the play. Strong mark overhead. Seems to play a little taller than he is. One of the few WA prospects I rate highly this year. Could be in 1st round contention.

#35 (North Melbourne) – Daniel Farmer (SA)
Height: 187cm, Weight: 80kg, DOB: 22/07/1992
Style:
Range:
Why: Nice long penetrating kick. Has some goal sense around goal. Medium sized forward who is a smart around goals. Seems to have some upside and really offers North Melbourne something a little interesting to work with.

#36 (Carlton) – Warrick Andreoli (WA)
Height: 182cm, Weight: 73kg, DOB: 28.02.1992
Recruited from: Ramblers GFA
Style: Stephen Hill
Range: 23-51
Why: Very clean and can easily pick up the ball with one hand or on the run seamlessly. Clever in traffic. Has a fair bit of acceleration. A lovely left foot kick. Fair bit to work with here.

#37 (Hawthorn) – Blayne Wilson (WA)
Height: 187cm, Weight: 80kg, DOB: 26.1.1992
Recruited from: Halls Head JFC
Style: Lindsay Gilbee
Range: 14-42
Why: Just knows how to play. Has a fair bit of courage. Quality rebounder. Marks strongly. Reads the ball as well as anyone. Kicks just well with either foot. Can kick 55m easily and do so accurately pin pointing targets. Elite kicking backman. Pure footballer. Knows how to play the game. Reads it well. Makes good decisions. At this stage represents outstanding value.

#38 (Fremantle) – Ben Newton (WA)
Height: 182cm, Weight: 78kg, DOB: 8.8.1992
Recruited from: Centrals JFC
Style:
Range: 23-45
Why: Damaging player by hand and by foot. Strong mark. Pace is ok without being great. Seems to be able to play some inside and outside. Has had some injury problems.

#39 (Sydney) – George Horlin-Smith (SA)
Height: cm, Weight: kg, DOB:
Recruited from:
Style:
Range:
Why: Team player who often looks to pass off to the player in the best position and generally does a pretty good job at it. Not an incredible athlete without being a poor athlete but just a real footballer. For his height is a strong mark overhead. Duel sided and shapes as a leader for a club at some stage down the road. Doesn’t really have any star attributes, would like to see a bit more penetration built onto his kick.

#40 (Western Bull Dogs) – Thomas Liberatore (F/S) (VIC)
Height: 182cm, Weight: 77kg, DOB: 16/05/1992
Style: Lenny Hayes
Range: 22/40
Why: Top 15 quality so to get Liber at this stage is very fortunate for the Western Bull Dogs. Just a bargain at this stage! Tough inside mid who is taller than his father and also loves contested situations, stoppage work, clearances and tackling. Has pretty reasonable agility and acceleration.

#41 (Geelong) – Viv Michie (VIC)
Height: 185cm, Weight: 77kg, DOB: 23/02/1992
Style: Nick Dal Santo
Range: 23-42
Why: Well rounded player who can play midfield or forward well as well as some back if required. Nice kick of the footy and reads the game well. Strong overhead.

#42 (St Kilda) – Ryan Lester (VIC)
Height: 190cm, Weight: 81kg, DOB: 26/08/1992
Style:
Range:
Why:

#43 (Collingwood) – Tom Hickey (QLD)
Height: 199cm, Weight: 88kg, DOB: 06/03/1991
Recruited from: Morningside
Style: Todd Goldstein
Range: 37-71
Why: Has good mobility and a nice leap. Lays tackles and while an overage kid his upside is very high and has improved very rapidly this year. After Gorringe and Lycett very little separates the next lot of ruckman. Collingwood have had some luck with Queenslanders in recent times and could do with a young project ruckman to have developed by the time Darren Jolly retires to put some added pressure on Cameron Wood to continue his development.

#44 (Gold Coast) - Sebastian Tape (SA)
Height: 189cm, Weight: 78kg, DOB: 06/08/1992
Recruited from: Glenelg
Style:
Range: 41-75
Why:

#45 (West Coast) - Tendai Mzungu (WA)
#46 (Richmond) - Luke Mitchell (VIC)
Height: 196cm, Weight: 96kg, DOB: 28/2/92
Style:
Range: 29-59
Why: Very strong overhead as well as on the lead. Powerfully built. I question whether he is perhaps a little one dimensional. Missed the start of the season due to injury and came back mid way through to have some strong games including a very strong TAC Cup Grand Final.

#47 (Essendon) - Jake Batchelor (VIC)
Height: 187cm, Weight: 82kg, DOB: 13/02/92
Recruited from: Dandenong Stingrays
Style:
Range:
Why:

#48 (Brisbane) - Tom Schneider (VIC)
Height: 177cm, Weight: 76kg, DOB: 30/09/1992
Style:
Range: 29-59
Why:
#49 (Melbourne) - Thomas Gordon (VIC)
#50 (Adelaide) - Max Otten (VIC)
#51 (Port Adelaide) - Angus Litherland (WA)
#52 (North Melbourne) - Cameron O’Shea (VIC)
#53 (Carlton) - Myles Sewell (VIC)
#54 (Hawthorn) - Isaac Smith (VIC)
#55 (Fremantle) - Jamie Solly (SA)
#56 (Sydney) - Rohan Bewick (WA)
#57 (Western Bull Dogs) - Darcy Barden (VIC)
#58 (Geelong) - Alex Elisseou (WA)
#59 (St Kilda) - Michael Hibbard (VIC)
#60 (Collingwood) - Ben Brown (TAS)
#61 (Gold Coast) - Brayden Glenfell (VIC)
#62 (West Coast) - Anton Hamp (WA)
#63 (Richmond) - Jarrod Ninyette (WA)
#64 (Essendon) - Kieran Butcher (WA)
#65 (Brisbane) - Andrew Krakour (WA)
#66 (Melbourne) - Callum Sinclair (VIC)
#67 (Adelaide) - Adam Marcon (VIC)
#68 (Port Adelaide) - Luke Dalhaus (VIC)
#69 (North Melbourne) - Josh Walker (VIC)
#70 (Carlton) - Jackson Sketcher (VIC)
#71 (Hawthorn) - Nathan Batley (SA)
#72 (Fremantle) - Matthew Rankine (SA)
#73 (Sydney) - Aaron Mullett (VIC)
#74 (Western Bull Dogs) - Matthew Jones (WA)
#75 (Geelong) - Cameron Johnson (VIC)
#76 (St. Kilda) - Alex Johnson (VIC)
#77 (Collingwood) - Tom Young (Collingwood)

Unlucky (likely and possibly rookie):
Russell Gabriel (VIC)
Jake Von Bertouch (SA)
Charlie Riewoldt (TAS)
Michael Hutchinson (QLD)
Keifer Yu (WA)
Nathan Ah Mat-Watkins (NT)
Rowan Brookes (WA)
Matt Snook (SA)
Dylan Conway (VIC)
Matthew Crocker (SA)
Darcy Armfield (SA)
Tim Northe (VIC)
Jacob Gilbee (TAS)
Ozgur Uysal (VIC)
Rhys Mott (TAS)
Justin Monaco (WA)
Matthew Little (VIC)
Andrew Phillips (TAS)
Ryan Pendlebury (VIC)
Cameron Richardson (VIC)
Aaron Black (WA)
Michael Stockdale (VIC)
Zac Fitzgerald (SA)
Kyle Hartigan (VIC)
Ben Reid (NSW)
Ed Curnow (VIC)
Steve Summerton (SA)
Joseph Groenewegen (TAS)
Nathan Phillips (WA)
Chris Luff (WA)
Angus Rowntree (SA)
Rhett Mason (WA)
Sam Gray (SA)
Isaiah Stevens (WA)
Jarrod Schiller (SA)
Mitch Carter (WA)
Stephen Witkowski (VIC)
Jordan Schroder (VIC)
Ariel Steinberg (VIC)
Ian Richardson (WA)
Scott Hancock (WA)
Tim Segrave (NSW)
Tim Milera (SA)
Mitch Curnow (SA)
Patrick Levicki (SA)
Leif Cope (VIC)
Andrew McINNES (VIC)
Luke Davis (SA)
Alex McLeod (VIC)
Orren Stephenson (VIC)
Kris Pendlebury (VIC)
Marcus Darmody (VIC)
Glenn Grgic (VIC)
Jacob Brennan (WA)
Cameron Pederson (VIC)
Ashley Arrowsmith (VIC)
Jamie McNamara (WA)
Tom Roach (WA)
Aaron Sweet (WA)
Nick Liddle ()
Chris Irving (VIC)
Corey Baxter ()
Mitch Boyle (WA)
Jonathan Ceglar (VIC)
Lachie Wallace (VIC)
Lloyd Skinner (WA)
Jordan Mead (VIC)
Cameron Delaney (VIC)
Hayden Yarran (WA)
Dean Staunton (NT)
Josh Marchback (VIC)
Daniel Harrison (VIC)
Brayden Salton (VIC)

Pykie

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life North Melbourne - North 2007 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
Top effort :thumbsu:

I doubt Caddy will last to 18 though.

knightwheelrqr

Club Legend
Sep 21, 2009
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
Great Job Knight.

Not Bad Pies pics but who is George Horlin-Smith?

Also I Think Phillips would be picked in the Rookie Draft

You are probably right but for now I'm making it a much longer draft than will happen. In reality some teams will only use 3 rounds including rookie promotions so this is more than anything at this stage to get a few names out there.

With the Pies picks I had a better idea at the names they are looking at (though I don't believe in reality we will select Sewell).

Horlin-Smith is a relative unknown and one of the "surprise" guys who might not be on the radar of many here. Essentially he is a bit of a Tom Rockliff. Can win the contested footy and is quite a creative player. Good user of the footy. Duel sided. Not an outstanding athlete but a real footballer. Far from ready to go at this stage but I can confirm that Collingwood do rate him highly. In my view is a 2nd year ready to go player.

Top effort :thumbsu:

I doubt Caddy will last to 18 though.

Up until recently i've had him in the 20s to be honest. Not that I don't rate him, he is one of my favourite prospects in this draft. He will be a top rate midfielder, that I have no doubt, but I see a few others as more attractive to some clubs because of their perceived "high upside" and because they can do a few more special things (Harper, Smedts and co). But with that said I wouldn't put it past him to go higher either.

Great job!

Btw, West Coast have a priority pick... I think it an extra mid 20's pick... not sure what number.

Yes I have considered that and it is very likely possibility. I will include that at a later date once the ladder positionings are all sorted. Essentially this list at this stage is more than anything just to get a list out of some of the prospects who are likely to get selected in the draft.

Galileo9

Premiership Player
Mar 24, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Swan Districts, Arsenal, 49ers
Great job!

Btw, West Coast have a priority pick... I think it an extra mid 20's pick... not sure what number.
we need to lose last two games to get it. its not certain yet.

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
If bombers lose tmz they finnish with pick 8 i believe (6 if tigers win next week). Would atley be a chance to slide to that. I rekon the kid looks class

(good draft btw I know its very hit at miss at this stage but clearly a lot of effort putting in the kids this early so hats off :thumbsu:)

knightwheelrqr

Club Legend
Sep 21, 2009
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
If bombers lose tmz they finnish with pick 8 i believe (6 if tigers win next week). Would atley be a chance to slide to that. I rekon the kid looks class

(good draft btw I know its very hit at miss at this stage but clearly a lot of effort putting in the kids this early so hats off :thumbsu:)

Yeah I just went by the afl.com.au ladder predictor and these are the placings I had after round 18, so I'm just going to stick with them for now. Interestingly all results last round were as expected, but there will no doubt be movement with the picks which is why picking this early is far from accurate.

Atley at this stage is a top 6 pick. Hard to see him drop further than that for now anyway. At 8 I would recomment if Essendon do finish with that pick Brodie Smith. Excellent inside mid. Has a bit of Chris Judd to him. Very strong through the hips, shrugs tackles with ease and one of the more explosive inside mids. Some think he might drop in which case again he would be the choice. Other players Essendon will be considering with their 1st round pick (who should be available) are: Parker and Caddy who are also both quality inside mids.

Great work man.

Who is Uysal? I've heard of him somewhere.

Plays for Calder Cannons. Small forward.
Has flown under the radar some and might be a bolter. Could be taken as early as 2nd round some think. One to watch. Think he will go in the main draft.

knightwheelrqr

Club Legend
Sep 21, 2009
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
Have you been using my names I see Knightwheelqr?

See a few interesting names in there..

Sewell and Curnow, Sinclair and Stockdale, and my highly rated Hibberd?

Good job though..

I probably could have referred back to your lists. Did I overlook any state leaguers you had your eye on? I know the U18 talent far better than the State League talent but I wanted to blend some state leaguers in because ultimately I do expect quite a few to go in the main draft.

Just an interesting question Knightwheelrqr.

What are the top 5 mids in this draft (that are not already tied to the GC) according to you?

1. Atley
2. Gaff
3. ...
4. ...

Outside of Swallow+Bennell.

1. Gaff *My pick of the bunch. Great work ethic and is a sure thing. Has been compared to Luke Power but I also see a bit of Ben Cousins in that he has the work ethic, desire to get the best out of himself and leadership to match. More an outside/ utility but his inside skills are still very good also*
2. Atley
3. Smith
4. Polec
5. Parker

*Very little seperates the top 10 really*

For Essendon more specifically I'd highly recommend Smith/ Parker/ Caddy (with Atley+Gaff likely to be taken).

May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspurs, Melbourne Vixen
I am leaning towards wanting Smith more..

Seems like a perfect foil to Watson.. A breakaway type of player? Like Judd??

Parker is an interesting one.. Some people I have heard from rate him highly (top 10), some others have him slipping into the very early 20's.

What are your thoughts on Parker?

Any young ruckmen/forwards that could play in the next two years?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

knightwheelrqr

Club Legend
Sep 21, 2009
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
I am leaning towards wanting Smith more..

Seems like a perfect foil to Watson.. A breakaway type of player? Like Judd??

Parker is an interesting one.. Some people I have heard from rate him highly (top 10), some others have him slipping into the very early 20's.

What are your thoughts on Parker?

Any young ruckmen/forwards that could play in the next two years?

Smith has many of the same attributes as Judd but he is obviously behind where Judd was at the same point in his development. But at the same time very promising. Would be a very good fit with Watson and would be on Essendon's radar no doubt.

Parker I really like as a fit for Essendon and have had him marked down for Essendon's 1st rounder for some time now. Solid inside mid who accumulates a fair bit of the ball. I'm not buying top 10. But 10-25 is more his range. Not amazing in the champs, but a solid player. High work rate.

Combo ruckman/ forwards. 197cm. Ben Brown who I'm just about to mention in the next post. But he is very much a long term prospect and will take the full 3-4 years to develop but I do rate him as someone who will develop. More a rookie prospect though.

Is Ben Brown (TAS) eligible for this years draft?

Yes. This year. (Currently have him listed under *unlucky*). Highly likely to go either in the ND or the RD. I'm leaning towards the rookie draft but as a prospect really rate him long term and I think he will become a very good player if given the chance. Very high upside.

Tomnat Tigers

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 8, 2009
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Arsenal
Agree with smedths going that early but dont think richmond would take 2 talls with there first 2 picks.

Im taking mitchell is the full forward from calder.

knightwheelrqr

Club Legend
Sep 21, 2009
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
Gaff and Conca. Finish last and lose the draft...

Yeah not much to seperate many of the picks. Could pretty easily name 20 guys who could be taken at 4. But I feel pretty strongly about Gaff. Have great faith in him developing into a quality player and leader.

Agree with smedths going that early but dont think richmond would take 2 talls with there first 2 picks.

Im taking mitchell is the full forward from calder.

Smedts I think could be a nice fit for Adelaide. Has played primarily as a forward but during the champs did well when swung into defence. Really strikes me as a really special player.

I think Richmond will make adding another quality KPF with one of your first two selections a priority but I will fix the draft more so needs wise when the draft order is in place. Really just giving people a general feel of where players might rank.

My suspicion for Richmond is that you go KPF in the 2nd round because I have a few quality options being available there with: Barden, Lynch, Mitchell, Solly or some combination of these are likely to be available. 1st round I wouldn't be surprised to see Darling drop and instead going with another pick. Lycett would almost be my recommendation for Richmond to be honest and Hardwick is of the belief that a club should be built through a tall first approach I wouldn't be surprised to see this. If Richmond finish lower than Brisbane then however one of Gorringe, Gaff or Atley (depending on who is available) will be taken.

Pykie

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life North Melbourne - North 2007 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
Smedts I think could be a nice fit for Adelaide. Has played primarily as a forward but during the champs did well when swung into defence. Really strikes me as a really special player.

I doubt he would slide past North if he was still available, he is a type we are crying out for.

The GC would be crazy not to pick him up with the amount of picks they have, his upside is absolutely enormous, has the potential to be one of the best from this draft imo.

Definately a utility, 2 inch shorter version of Pavlich.

knightwheelrqr

Club Legend
Sep 21, 2009
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
Good work mate.

Hey if Cook is gone by pick 16 do you think there are any other KPPs worth Melbourne taking or should we just look to best available?

My bets right now are that one of Cook or Darling will be available (more likely Cook though).

Tom Lynch might come under consideration but if it was me drafting for Melbourne I'd go best available (perhaps Caddy) then wait till the 2nd round to go KPF since there are a few good ones there.

I doubt he would slide past North if he was still available, he is a type we are crying out for.

The GC would be crazy not to pick him up with the amount of picks they have, his upside is absolutely enormous, has the potential to be one of the best from this draft imo.

Definately a utility, 2 inch shorter version of Pavlich.

Smedts is hard to place but I'm going to say higher rather than lower because he is something special. Not sure anyone has yet had Smedts as high as I have him. Essentially from picks 4-24 there is no significant difference, it will more so come down to which players specific teams like more or have a greater need for I feel. But whoever does land him I think will be very pleased.

On GC he could come under consideration but for their top 10 picks I'd like them to build through quality KPPs + Ruckman then in future drafts add these additional types of players to fit around them. Not sure if this approach will be taken, but certainly what I'd look to do to set up a strong future. Will take a few years for those types to develop but in 3-4 years time once they have builded their other players around them if they did take this approach they would be very hard to beat!

Demon 16

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 25, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
My bets right now are that one of Cook or Darling will be available (more likely Cook though).

Tom Lynch might come under consideration but if it was me drafting for Melbourne I'd go best available (perhaps Caddy) then wait till the 2nd round to go KPF since there are a few good ones there.
d.

Good call. I suspect darling is going to slide further than expected too.. Potentially outside the top 20.

knightwheelrqr

Club Legend
Sep 21, 2009
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
Good call. I suspect darling is going to slide further than expected too.. Potentially outside the top 20.

Outside the top 20 is possible, but for now I'm just going to be conservative and say that he will go higher than lower.

My main concern with Darling is his upside. Hasn't grown in the past year. He is not all that tall standing at 190cm for a KPP. Physically he is very ready to go but you have to question what development is left. Some say he might be transformed into a midfielder which almost isn't beyond him, but he is certainly one of the more interesting prospects.

I have toyed with him dropping though and I think Richmond may let him slide. But still very early days. He could land anywhere in the 5-25 range.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back