NYMets

Club Legend
Jan 20, 2001
a windy hill by the sea
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Mets & ManUtd Giggsyrulz
My trusty old PRESARIO died and I have been looking at ACER Extensas and Travelmates....Don't know from ACER. Anyone got one?

Also is having Centrino Mobile really worth it? You need an extra hub or something? ANd then I guess you get Unwired. Is all this worth it if there is only a few hotspots in Sydney? Starbucks and MacDonalds? I wouldn't hang out in either.

I've had an Acer Aspire 2012 (Intel Centrino 1.6ghz) for about 6 months now. It's built sturdy and I haven't had any problems with it sofar. Battery life is excellent also. From home, I connect to the net through a wireless network via my desktop PC without needing a hub.

However, it's my first laptop so I cannot compare it to any others.

Acer is enjoying a better reputation than it once had, but reputation-wise it still lags behind just about every name brand. Despite this I would certainly recommend and acer over an obscure or no-name brand.

Centrino Mobiles are worth it. For starters wi-fi is becoming far more common, but centrinos are also geared to smarter power consumption, they run cooler and run longer, which helps battery life.

NYMets said:
My trusty old PRESARIO died and I have been looking at ACER Extensas and Travelmates....Don't know from ACER. Anyone got one?

Also is having Centrino Mobile really worth it? You need an extra hub or something? ANd then I guess you get Unwired. Is all this worth it if there is only a few hotspots in Sydney? Starbucks and MacDonalds? I wouldn't hang out in either.

i have an ACER Extensa, its not too bad....not outstanding either, few problems with the cd and a: however that could just be because i paid next to nothing and didnt get a newer one. I'd consider getting more opinions before buying one.

I have an Acer Travelmate.. secondhand bargain from a friend who works for ACER in Brissie.

Its been great so far, except for the battery, it wont charge, and we have tried a second one so maybe its actually with my machine..

I'll send my friend this link and see what she says, (as she reads these boards.. sometimes)

There are better brands than ACER.. and as far as wi-fi goes, it's way too expensive.
The centrino chips are very good for the price. The Pentium M (mobile) chip is better again, but a lot more expensive.
If you are concerned about price, ACER do make reasonable entry level models.

Jim Boy said:
Acer is enjoying a better reputation than it once had, but reputation-wise it still lags behind just about every name brand. Despite this I would certainly recommend and acer over an obscure or no-name brand.
Acer certainly had ground to make up. I'd agree with recommending an Acer over a no-name if you're buying a laptop (although not so much for desktops), but I'd strongly recommend looking at other perhaps more expensive brands first and only get the Acer if there's no viable choice there.

Jim Boy said:
Centrino Mobiles are worth it. For starters wi-fi is becoming far more common, but centrinos are also geared to smarter power consumption, they run cooler and run longer, which helps battery life.
Yeah, I've got an IBM Thinkpad at work (well I'd have it at work if I hadn't left it at a mates place on Friday night :(), and it's pretty cool. The battery life is excellent, usually get about five hours out of it, and I'm a pretty heavy user.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back