Kobe Bryant and daughter Gianna Die in Helicopter Crash

Remove this Banner Ad

Hearing the news of his daughter dieing by his side the ultimate tear jerker for me, can't imagine how they felt in their final moments together and how it would be as a father not being able to protect your daughter from danger.

While not a Lakers fan I was a true NBA nut while in high school during the 90's as most teenagers boys were. Kobe was always someone we all wanted to pretend to be when on the court ourselves. A highlightflm. A competitor. An icon.

RIP Mamba, thanks for the memories. 😢

Horrible news to wake up to this morning. A legend on and off the court. The good always seem to die young. All prayers to the Bryant family on the loss of Kobe and little darling Gianna, and to all the famalies who lost members on the ill fated flight...🙏🙏

Well she just got herself fired

It's pretty obvious she got caught between "Knicks" and "Lakers" and she wound up making the worst possible combination. There's literally no reason a newsreader with absolutely no history of racist beliefs would just drop the no-no word live on air in front of millions on purpose, especially when talking about a recently-deceased black person.
Sadly MSNBC will bend the knee and send her packing. Her career's probably in the trash and all it took was one accidental slip of the tongue.

In my lifetime, the only premature Sporting Star's tragic/premature death that has resulted in such universal/worldwide grief was Aryton Senna's in 1994 .

Schumacher is/was the GOAT F1 Driver (whom sadly is living in a vegative state these days due to his skiing accident) but IMHO Senna was the most beloved global F1 star of all time, a real maverick and playboy who played by his own rules and was beloved especially in South America.

He was such a charismatic legend who was never aftaid to prove how good he was, rather like Kobe in many respects.

I still recall state of sheer disbelief over Senna's death, same feeling I got when I learned Reggie Lewis died (my first real introduction to death/mourning someone I cared about) and Princess Di.

The loss of Kobe ane his young daughter and The rest of the poor people on that helicopter is a real sucker punch to the guts.

It's a cliche, but I never knew how much I truly admired Kobe till he left us. 😥😥😥

Comments about her starting to say Knicks then changing to Lakers halfway through, leading to Kni**ers.

Do we buy it?

Yeah personally i think that's what happened with the way she awkwardly kind of pauses and stumbles before saying it and just butchering it.

Gees it's a very unfortunate mix up to make though

some incoherent thoughts...

He was the natural heir apparent to Jordan for my generation.

Really, none of us saw MJ play but Kobe's post-Shaq career was being replicated on every high school basketball court across the country.

Probably half the reason I hated Kobe stans before I hated the Lakers themselves.

An insurmountable loss that still doesn't feel real.

Colorado is very complicated, but one way to view that part of his life is to see how he has lived since and whether he actually learnt from it.

He died next to his daughter, Gigi, and countless others, on their way to a basketball practice. Something tells me he did.

Hearing the news of his daughter dieing by his side the ultimate tear jerker for me, can't imagine how they felt in their final moments together and how it would be as a father not being able to protect your daughter from danger.
I dont follow basketball at all and I barely know this guy, however that was my first thought hearing about this incident, in a heli crash there would have been maybe half a minute where you'd realise something is wrong and you wont get out of the situation alive, Kobe would have been devastated not because he knew he would die but because his young daughter would.

This has really hit harder than I expected throughout the day. The fact that such a promising young athlete in Gigi was in that helicopter too just makes the whole situation even more depressing. I know that Kobe would've comforted his daughter in their final moments together, being the truly respectable person he was

Sadly I was never able to watch Kobe live, but in 2016 I had a three day layover in LA after holidaying in New York. The second day I was there was the day of Kobe's 60-point final game. I was unable to buy tickets as I had other important plans, but let me tell you all this - I've never seen such a buzz and adoration about a single athlete in any city. You could simply tell from the way everyone I spoke to about the Lakers and Kobe during that day, that he was truly a hero around Los Angeles, from the baristas at the two coffee shops I visited, to our guide on the tour of the Walk of Fame. Even if you weren't the hugest basketball fan, everyone recognised Kobe as not only an all-time athlete and competitor, but a humble and driven human off the court

The world has really lost a gem. It's a shame we won't get to see the second act of Kobe's life, but it makes me happy knowing that him and Gigi are now at peace. He'll be truly missed

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In my lifetime, the only premature Sporting Star's tragic/premature death that has resulted in such universal/worldwide grief was Aryton Senna's in 1994 .

Schumacher is/was the GOAT F1 Driver (whom sadly is living in a vegative state these days due to his skiing accident) but IMHO Senna was the most beloved global F1 star of all time, a real maverick and playboy who played by his own rules and was beloved especially in South America.

He was such a charismatic legend who was never aftaid to prove how good he was, rather like Kobe in many respects.

I still recall state of sheer disbelief over Senna's death, same feeling I got when I learned Reggie Lewis died (my first real introduction to death/mourning someone I cared about) and Princess Di.

The loss of Kobe ane his young daughter and The rest of the poor people on that helicopter is a real sucker punch to the guts.

It's a cliche, but I never knew how much I truly admired Kobe till he left us. 😥😥😥

The tragedy of Phil Hughes is up their particularly for the other players involved. Cricket safety has changed as a result similar to F1 safety post Senna’s passing.

Can only imagine was US basketball fans are feeling ATM, amazing athlete.

some incoherent thoughts...

He was the natural heir apparent to Jordan for my generation.

Really, none of us saw MJ play but Kobe's post-Shaq career was being replicated on every high school basketball court across the country.

Probably half the reason I hated Kobe stans before I hated the Lakers themselves.

An insurmountable loss that still doesn't feel real.

Colorado is very complicated, but one way to view that part of his life is to see how he has lived since and whether he actually learnt from it.

He died next to his daughter, Gigi, and countless others, on their way to a basketball practice. Something tells me he did.

i think plenty of us saw mj play.

This has been such a surreal day. I'd woken up early and was just about to go back to sleep when this started to break, instead I spent all morning reading as it unfolded. Maybe I'm blanking but I feel like this has been maybe the biggest news event since 9/11 and the biggest event in the post-Facebook/Twitter era. Michael Jackson's death was just before social media really took off, and back then you'd either just hear about it in an article online or you'd watch a slightly solemn news report on the TV and that would have been the extent of your emotional involvement unless you were a huge fan of Jackson. Today, because of social media, I've seen clip after clip of people who knew Kobe completely breaking down when talking about him and I keep shedding tears even though I've never had any real attachment to him. And I'm not a parent but then finding out his daughter also died just really hurt.

The tragedy of Phil Hughes is up their particularly for the other players involved. Cricket safety has changed as a result similar to F1 safety post Senna’s passing.

Can only imagine was US basketball fans are feeling ATM, amazing athlete.
Payne stewart in the plane that crashed was tragic

I remember the day we drafted kobe. i was attending first year of university. internet was a newish thing. we traded vlade for this kid. ok.

In the next 12 months my friends laughed about him, his airballs v utah in the playoffs, how he hogged the ball. A lot.

I received a kobe number 8 jersey. My relatives in LA and I talked lakers all the time. I did not like no 8, but they asked why. I had no answer. Silly.

When Shaq came I thought it was a start of a dynasty. Luckily for all I was right. I witnessed shaq and kobe first hand at staples. surreal.

Then Shaq left, and friends goaded ,me about that. Kobes fault, lakers are stuffed. Kobe was a chucker. Smush Parker was his sidekick. Dire.

Then Pau came, and Kwame left. Good times again. It was here Kobe went to another level. The alpha male. The grimmacing. Then injuries came, and Bigfootys basketball board collectively called him WARRIOR. Appreciation was aplenty. Kobe was ageing and adulation was increasing here. The world followed.

And now he's gone.

This has been such a surreal day. I'd woken up early and was just about to go back to sleep when this started to break, instead I spent all morning reading as it unfolded. Maybe I'm blanking but I feel like this has been maybe the biggest news event since 9/11 and the biggest event in the post-Facebook/Twitter era. Michael Jackson's death was just before social media really took off, and back then you'd either just hear about it in an article online or you'd watch a slightly solemn news report on the TV and that would have been the extent of your emotional involvement unless you were a huge fan of Jackson. Today, because of social media, I've seen clip after clip of people who knew Kobe completely breaking down when talking about him and I keep shedding tears even though I've never had any real attachment to him. And I'm not a parent but then finding out his daughter also died just really hurt.

Not quite true on Jackson, his death took down a number of sites (Twitter included) due to the spike in traffic

This is what I thought about as well. Looking in her eyes knowing this was the end and they're leaving the rest of their family behind. Same for the coach on board with his wife and daughter. They've left behind another daughter and son. I can't imagine what those last moments would be like. It really highlights Kobe's decision to step away from the game so distantly for the couple of years after he retired to spend more time with his family. That time spent will be forever cherished by them.

RIP Kobe and all on board. :'(

Not quite true on Jackson, his death took down a number of sites (Twitter included) due to the spike in traffic

Certainly Jackson's death was a huge story but bringing Twitter down back in 2009 didn't take much, the "fail whale" became a meme for a reason. I'm just saying that social media hadn't reached the masses back then and not many celebrities or major media outlets had a presence on these platforms, you wouldn't have got any viral reaction clips from a story back in 2009.

Tragedy.

Still sad. Makes me appreciate what and who I have even more. Literally lucky to be here.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back