Traded Koby Stevens [traded to St Kilda with pick 61 and Bulldogs' 2017 4th rd for pick 50 and 2017 5th rd]

Remove this Banner Ad

Cute? Would have suggested it was a bit desperate to be honest...

Poor old Bombres, the "destination" club :oops:

:D

Bomber fans spend their time skulking in this and the JOM thread hoping for a PSD freebie.

They are the beachcombers of BF. :oops:

Oh for the heady days of attracting Scotty West and then offering a delistee and a second rd pick for him. :thumbsu:

Go Bombers...

I'm pretty into landing Koby. Injuries seem to have held him back as mich as anything, get his body right and he will be perfect for us.
Was very durable from 2013 to early 2016.

Had a few annoying injuries this year that halted his momentum later in the season.

Should be good value for the Saints, but his limitations are well known.

from memory he killed us when well played dogs early in this year
happy.gif
happy.gif

happy.gif
happy.gif

happy.gif
happy.gif

from memory he killed us when well played dogs early in this year
happy.gif
happy.gif

happy.gif
happy.gif

happy.gif
happy.gif

Mixed views from our supporter base but he can definately rotate mid to half forward flank and can and does kick goals and take good marks in the second position. His disposal can be a bit dubious but frankly so is Lin Jongs and many were keener to keep Koby than Lin. Has some injury concerns but not as bad as Hrovat has had so again, the better value target IMO. He's no Jaeger in terms of what he'll add but who is and he'll end up being better value in trade terms than Jaeger will be to the Hawks IMO.

I'd be pretty happy if I got him and Steele into my club for the price you will likely pay for the pair of them. Good trading.

The second best thing about the Dogs winning the flag, the first being the fact they won he flag, is that their supporters are the most humble premiership winning BF posters

Long may the minnow clubs reign at the top

And bring on Stevens

At worst he makes Armitage and Dunstan lift their output

At best he becomes a regular in the side playing good quality football

Funniest post of the trade period to date.:p

No way in hell that 10 would be used on a player that may well go as a DFA.
Very late pick, or exchange of late picks at best. He is not staying and so if Dogs wanted anything ridiculous the saints just wait till he is delisted. Just means he misses a few weeks of training.

Dogs have not offered him a contract and so he goes for peanuts or nil. They traded him in at what pick 44-ish? So he will go for less.
About as funny as winning 1 flag in 120 years...

Bulldogs wont use any picks after 50 odd.. so good luck with 10 and 40 odd to secure Steele and co.

Pick downgrade will be required or mooted acquisitions simply wont eventuate..

PSD no issue for WB.. not so sure Koby will last to StK pick in PSD..

Anyway.. time will tell..

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app

The second best thing about the Dogs winning the flag, the first being the fact they won he flag, is that their supporters are the most humble premiership winning BF posters

Long may the minnow clubs reign at the top

And bring on Stevens

At worst he makes Armitage and Dunstan lift their output

At best he becomes a regular in the side playing good quality football
We're just waking from our celebration slumber... still pinching ourselves..

About as funny as winning 1 flag in 120 years...

Bulldogs wont use any picks after 50 odd.. so good luck with 10 and 40 odd to secure Steele and co.

Pick downgrade will be required or mooted acquisitions simply wont eventuate..

PSD no issue for WB.. not so sure Koby will last to StK pick in PSD..

Anyway.. time will tell..

If the Dogs don't offer him a contract he will be a DFA and not in the Draft or PSD.

No other club wants him. Dogs do not want him on their list next year. So Dogs will either trade him for very little (late pick, or exchange of close picks) or just delist him. The only advantage to the Saints trading for him is that he gets to start training with the Saints earlier.

That the Dogs will in your opinion not use a pick above 50 has no bearing. Stevens has a certain market value and the Saints are not going to pay overs for a moneyball depth pick-up.

UNRESTRICTED FREE AGENTS

Primary List

Players delisted by a club are unrestricted free agents but a player who retires or delists himself is not eligible to be a free agent.

So yes it is extremely amusing that you think that pick 10 would be used for a player that you club wants to delist.

Last edited:
If the Dogs don't offer him a contract he will be a DFA and not in the Draft or PSD.

No other club wants him. Dogs do not want him on their list next year. So Dogs will either trade him for very little (late pick, or exchange of close picks) or just delist him. The only advantage to the Saints trading for him is that he gets to start training with the Saints earlier.

That the Dogs will in your opinion not use a pick above 50 has no bearing. Stevens has a certain market value and the Saints are not going to pay overs for a moneyball depth pick-up.

UNRESTRICTED FREE AGENTS

Primary List

Players delisted by a club are unrestricted free agents but a player who retires or delists himself is not eligible to be a free agent.

So yes it is extremely amusing that you think that pick 10 would be used for a player that you club wants to delist.

We did offer him a contract though, so he can't be a DFA.

I think we will be trying for your 2017 3rd rounder. It's probably unders but we will only be making the 3 changes this year so no point adjusting our draft position late in the draft too much.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We did offer him a contract though, so he can't be a DFA.

I think we will be trying for your 2017 3rd rounder. It's probably unders but we will only be making the 3 changes this year so no point adjusting our draft position late in the draft too much.

If you read Emma Quayle's article in the Age today she states that a contract was offered to Koby earlier in the year but was then taken off the table.
Not sure what that means for Koby being a DFA? As I read it, with no contract in front of him he will qualify as a DFA. If the dogs are looking for compensation for him I wouldn't have thought that it would be for anything more than a downgrade of 3rd or 4th rounders if anything at all.

Stevens' best is surprisingly good. He gained six Brownlow votes in 2016. If he can replicate some of his top performances more often; he will be an absolute star. Wouldn't have minded taking a punt on him at Collingwood; I reckon the Saints will get themselves a bargain here. Low risk/high reward. Only real weakness is his contested game. Is ok with clearances and such but his possession to CP ratio is poor. Is he an outside mid? Don't watch him enough.
His top statistical performances in 2016:

R1 vs Fremantle - 27 touches, 8 tackles in just 76% game time.
R4 vs Carlton - 25 touches, 5 marks, 2 goals, 5 rebound 50's in just 78% game time, 1 Brownlow vote.
R5 vs Brisbane Lions - 34 touches, 5 marks, 6 tackles, 7 inside 50's, 7 clearances, 15 contested possessions, 3 Brownlow votes
R6 vs North Melbourne - 28 touches, 1 goal, 5 tackles, 6 inside 50's in 79% game time.
R17 vs Gold Coast - 34 touches, 5 marks, 2 goals, 5 inside 50's, 8 clearances, 2 Brownlow votes.

Screams quality if he can perform consistently.

http://afltables.com/afl/stats/players/K/Koby_Stevens.html

Stevens' best is surprisingly good. He gained six Brownlow votes in 2016. If he can replicate some of his top performances more often; he will be an absolute star. Wouldn't have minded taking a punt on him at Collingwood; I reckon the Saints will get themselves a bargain here. Low risk/high reward. Only real weakness is his contested game. Is ok with clearances and such but his possession to CP ratio is poor. Is he an outside mid? Don't watch him enough.

R4 vs Carlton - 25 touches, 5 marks, 2 goals, 5 rebound 50's in just 78% game time, 1 Brownlow vote.
R5 vs Brisbane Lions - 34 touches, 5 marks, 6 tackles, 7 inside 50's, 7 clearances, 15 contested possessions, 3 Brownlow votes
R6 vs North Melbourne - 28 touches, 1 goal, 5 tackles, 6 inside 50's in 79% game time.
R17 vs Gold Coast - 34 touches, 5 marks, 2 goals, 5 inside 50's, 8 clearances, 2 Brownlow votes.

Won us a game v Port in Darwin playing out on a busted leg. Poor bugger could barely hobble but still staggered from contest to contest and we wouldn't have won it without him out there. Genuinely one of the bravest extended efforts on a footy field I've ever watched.

This is gona be another membrey / weller type fringe player pick up that we convert into solid stkilda contributers.
I cant wait to see the mongrel we unleash next season.

Koby has serious mongrel. Attacks the man and the ball like a maniac. Big big body. Good engine. He'll do well.

His a solid player but has limited upside, have a look at opposition in those games listed and it has been same entire time he can perfoem to a very high level against lower sides but struggles when the heat cimes on as his decision making skills are below par which is amplified against good teams where he has less time. For the price saints will get him though and where their midfield sits he ia decent pickup

His a solid player but has limited upside, have a look at opposition in those games listed and it has been same entire time he can perfoem to a very high level against lower sides but struggles when the heat cimes on as his decision making skills are below par which is amplified against good teams where he has less time. For the price saints will get him though and where their midfield sits he ia decent pickup

What about last year where two of his highest possession games against Swans and Crows?

Doesn't seem to quite fit the flat track bully narrative...

Good low risk cheap pickup for the Saints.

2nd swap plus 4th rd all next year would be nice if Saints are dishing the second to GWS anyway.

If you read Emma Quayle's article in the Age today she states that a contract was offered to Koby earlier in the year but was then taken off the table.
Not sure what that means for Koby being a DFA? As I read it, with no contract in front of him he will qualify as a DFA. If the dogs are looking for compensation for him I wouldn't have thought that it would be for anything more than a downgrade of 3rd or 4th rounders if anything at all.
Does it even matter if he doesn't sign it?
IIRC Biggs would have been re-rookied by the Swans but we offered him a main list contract so the Swans out of goodwill traded him to us for virtually nothing (Biggs + pick 39 for the pick 37 we got from the Bombers for Adam Cooney).
If Koby refuses to sign it he could still be a DFA by the end of the trade period.
He's a better player than many make out, will play plenty of senior AFL football next year.

It's a good destination for Koby to pick. He'll be best 22 at the Saints and coming into his prime with a team expecting to play finals in the next year or 2. He was a great pickup for the 4 years he was here and was just simply pushed out for a variety of reasons, wish him all the best.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back