Traded Koby Stevens [traded to St Kilda with pick 61 and Bulldogs' 2017 4th rd for pick 50 and 2017 5th rd]

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't see how he would be a fit for Essendon and unless we're trading out someone from our main inside division I don't really see him being much more than a stop-gap selection if we get him, and it would be questionable if we should play him at all if we don't trade anyone out- as he would be taking a spot away from a Dunstan/Acres/Steele type, who you'd think we'd want to get games into.

Honestly mate your opinion on footballers is so often wrong that it has little value IMO. That you think your opinion has value or people are interested is more than a little delusional. Just IMO.

But that's not why you've been given a little clip.

Pretty much every other supporter has engaged in sensible and respectful discussion here. Yet you wade in with the following insightful comments.

Quit behaving like a juvenile flog and maybe you won't get treated like one.
I know plenty that disagree, so I guess I'll take their word over yours. Like everyone I get things wrong, but when I have I own it, every time. Because I see a lot of football at both levels I form opinions on many more players than the usual footy spectator.

I'll stand by my comment about Stevens. He has one asset and one only: he wins the ball. He's slow, can't kick and is limited to one position on the ground, which makes him a spud in my book.

I know plenty that disagree, so I guess I'll take their word over yours. Like everyone I get things wrong, but when I have I own it, every time. Because I see a lot of football at both levels I form opinions on many more players than the usual footy spectator.

I'll stand by my comment about Stevens. He has one asset and one only: he wins the ball. He's slow, can't kick and is limited to one position on the ground, which makes him a spud in my book.

Well we disagree.

Stevens has multiple assets.

He is a strong mark. A strong tackler. A protector/enforcer for his team mates. A big strong body. He is strong overhead. He is a good set shot. He has high production. His good is very good. To the extent he polled more Brownlow votes this year than all but 5 other Dogs in a mid heavy premiership team. In less games, he polled more B and F votes than say Jong.

Sure he has weaknesses. But many would consider that in form, fully fit and committed he was best 22 in the Dogs' flag team.

Apart from you I've heard no one refer to him as a s**t truck or spud. Probably because most people (like our list manager who offered him a contract that he declined or the list managers of other clubs) see it as obvious that he is far from a 'spud'.

Stevens is just ok with little scope for improvement. Would be a best 22 mid at a few clubs. Saints could do with him for sure.

Not sure he's worth much from a trade perspective.

Yeah gotta go all the way back to last year to find someone who picked us over Sydney.
Not like anyone picked us last year...
Bird and Burger, sure.

I'm more thinking in terms of some valued commodities that are being chased by a number of clubs.

However, perhaps your targets were signing up the banned players and maybe your salary cap is tight (I don't know about your salary cap).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why raise that point in a thread about Koby Stevens???
I thought he was a perfect fit for your side and would select you.

If what Jade said is true and you never offered him a contract, then I guess it doesn't matter.

Didn't mean to step on any toes, just stating an opinion.

Happy about this.

Have no idea where he would fit in out midfield.

Think Saints should be able to get him cheap.

Really? Im sure you could find a spot for him...

He'd be best 22 midfielder for most teams...probably all except the top 4 teams.

EDIT: He was best 22 even for the Dogs at the start of this year until he got injured.

Bird and Burger, sure.

I'm more thinking in terms of some valued commodities that are being chased by a number of clubs.

However, perhaps your targets were signing up the banned players and maybe your salary cap is tight (I don't know about your salary cap).
Berger wasn't wanted by Sydney as well?

Also, you bring up this arbitrary clarification in relation to Stevens, when he doesn't even fit into your own qualification of "valued commodity chased by a number of clubs". Let's be honest, you wanted to take a dig at the bombers and you ****ed it up.

Going into a thread on a player and calling them a spud and worse is pretty disrespectful. If it was an Essendon player's thread we'd be pretty pissed as well. Maybe that is your true opinion, but it adds nothing to the discussion and merely disrupts the thread.

Is he any more assured of a game at St Kilda than he was at WB?
Saints have lots of kids they like who need the minutes. Still Armo and Steven, Steele coming in.
Not the destination I would have chosen if I were Koby

Is he any more assured of a game at St Kilda than he was at WB?
Saints have lots of kids they like who need the minutes. Still Armo and Steven, Steele coming in.
Not the destination I would have chosen if I were Koby
Unless we do a Dal Santo/McEvoy/Goddard with say Armitage, I pretty much see him as someone who will probably get a lot of games next year, if he stays fit (most have a really good first year when they move to a new club and he seems to have been taking his game to a new level overall from year to year recently), but that by 2018 the likes of Acres, Steele, Dunstan and Gresham could all be overtaking him, if he happens to drop his output a bit, or get a couple of injuries.

Dunstan for instance really struggled with his shoulder in 2015 after he had a reco on it at the end of 2014 and he's just had his other shoulder reconstructed at the end of this season, so if he happens to struggle with this one next year like he did the last one, then someone like Stevens is an ideal replacement and is actually an upgrade on what Dunstan was giving us last year (although he was really starting to play some strong footy again prior to his injury).

So it's pretty much up to Koby. If he really ups his game then he could have a midfield spot for a while, but if he doesn't then he'll probably find himself on the fringe with us like he did WB, before too long.

I'm actually quite looking forward to seeing how he goes for us. Like I said he seems to have been steadily taking his game to a new level overall in recent years and it seems he thrives when played in the midfield, so if he stays injury free next year and gets that opportunity to spend significant time in the midfield, then things might just really click for him.

If not, no biggie and he'll give us good depth for injuries, which we really didn't have this year in his position.

Unless we do a Dal Santo/McEvoy/Goddard with say Armitage, I pretty much see him as someone who will probably get a lot of games next year, if he stays fit (most have a really good first year when they move to a new club and he seems to have been taking his game to a new level overall from year to year recently), but that by 2018 the likes of Acres, Steele, Dunstan and Gresham could all be overtaking him, if he happens to drop his output a bit, or get a couple of injuries.

Dunstan for instance really struggled with his shoulder in 2015 after he had a reco on it at the end of 2014 and he's just had his other shoulder reconstructed at the end of this season, so if he happens to struggle with this one next year like he did the last one, then someone like Stevens is an ideal replacement and is actually an upgrade on what Dunstan was giving us last year (although he was really starting to play some strong footy again prior to his injury).

So it's pretty much up to Koby. If he really ups his game then he could have a midfield spot for a while, but if he doesn't then he'll probably find himself on the fringe with us like he did WB, before too long.

I'm actually quite looking forward to seeing how he goes for us. Like I said he seems to have been steadily taking his game to a new level overall in recent years and it seems he thrives when played in the midfield, so if he stays injury free next year and gets that opportunity to spend significant time in the midfield, then things might just really click for him.

If not, no biggie and he'll give us good depth for injuries, which we really didn't have this year in his position.
I agree with you.
I have no problem with it from St Kilda's point of view. Makes sense. Mature body, ready to go, consistent output if some of the kids aren't quite ready. As long as the $$ and trade currency are reasonable, good pick up by St Kilda.
Not sure I get it from Koby, but I guess he is betting on himself.

Reality is, if it comes down to a decision between a young kid with upside vs Koby at the selection table, chances are they go with the kid every time.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back