Retired Koby Stevens

Remove this Banner Ad

Round 7 Review

Koby put in another performance to be proud of, matching his output of 28 disposals and another 5 tackles in a massive win for the Saints. He improved his kick:handball ratio going at 12:16 this week and I think his game benefited from it. He was impressive with 6 I50's but was unable to hit the scoreboard as he did last week.

Koby cracked in as hard as ever and the difference he and Steele make to our midfield is hugely noticeable. Unfortunately for Koby and the Saints one of his ball busting tackles which drew a free kick and general applause of awesome-ness was considered to be 'dangerous' despite his opponent being completely fine and playing out the game. This tackle resulted in a 1 match suspension.

At this point, he's best 22 and I imagine he'll come straight back in after his week off against Carlton.

Round 8 Review

Koby sat out his suspension this week. Will be interesting to see whether he comes straight back in. His two performances definitely show him to be best 22 but with his replacement having his best game in a couple years it's hard to see him being dropped.

I reckon we'll get him in one way or another. Sydney have found some form and have one of the most inside/contested midfields in the AFL.

Straight back in no doubt. Only two games but he's collected 12 contested possessions in both and we'll need that against Sydney. Dunstan was good but only had 7 contested against a poor contested side.

Round 9 Review

Koby slid straight back into the side but this was probably his most underwhelming performance so far. Nothing to be ashamed of though when probably 20/22 were underwhelming this week.

Still managed 21 touches and 5 tackles which was a reasonable return. Just the 9 kicks again in what was a very in and under role. Dunstan playing in the same side saw him play a slightly more half forward role I think (I don't really want to watch the replay). Creates an interesting dynamic with all of Steele, Dunstan and Stevens in the same midfield. With all three rotating off and playing similar game time (73-76% TOG each).

Will be interesting to see if any changes are made to this setup ahead of the Dogs game.

n5BO5h1.jpg

Picked against dogs and Dunstan dropped. Clearly has taken Dunstan's spot. Will be interesting to see how he goes against his old team!

Round 10 Review

Koby's first game against his old side and he played the first quarter like he had a point to prove. 13 touches and a few tackles. Trailed off a little after that but still finished with 28 touches (again 7 kicks 21 handballs) and another 8 tackles.

Koby is proving to be somewhat reliable. He's had 28 touches in 3/4 games and taken 6 marks in all 4. Unfortunately he hasn't been able to maintain his scoring consistency and hasn't added to his 2 goal tally from his debut.

Again, just like Steele his game time is being heavily managed. Not sure if this is anything to do with their shortened pre-seasons or just how we make our midfield rotations work.

Round 13 Review

Koby had just the 14 touches on the weekend. Including 4 kicks. Made up for it with 7 tackles. He copped a knock at some stage early in the game which left him sore and I reckon hindered him for the rest of the match. Hopefully he pulls up alright. With both Dunstan and Stevens sore after the game it looks like Steele's omission might be a short one.

I hope Koby is ok as we probably need him to play on Ablett this week , I think he is our best player to tackle Ablett .

Sent via HAL

Tackle is a good word for what he would have done to GAJ had he played.

Racked up 15 tackles. And it took him 12 disposals to kick the thing as well! Reasonable game from Koby. Had better but in no risk of losing his spot if he keeps those tackle numbers up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Koby had another great game with 29 disposals and 2 goals against the Tigers .
Been a great pick up by the Saints . Sure the dogs regret letting him go now . He has established his spot in the team and is playing better each game.

Been a bit slack in this thread the last couple weeks. Koby's had a rollercoaster ride. Probably his best game against the Tigers with 29 touches and 2 goals. But a couple poor weeks against the Dons and Swans with 14 and 16 touches respectively which is the type of inconsistency that has plagued his career through the 3 clubs he's been at. Also the type of inconsistency we've seen with the three inside grunt players in Steele, Stevens and Dunstan very rarely being able to play well together.

A groin injury will see him miss this week but on the back of the last two weeks he would have been close to a spell in the VFL anyway.

Hopefully it's not too serious I don't know much about the injury at this point.

Koby had another reasonable game on the weekend. 24 touches consisting of 6 kicks and 18 handballs.

This brings his season tally to 99 kicks and 203 handballs. Must be one of the most lopsided ratios in the game? Has had more handballs than kicks in every single game this year. Not necessarilly a bad thing as that's his role but I'd like to see him use his foot a little more often. On the plus side his DE% is up at 82% which must be one of the highest for an inside midfielder. It is a lot harder to screw up a handball though.

Going at 7 CP per game and 14 UP per game which is a little surprising, though this is almost exactly the same as his ratio last year at the Dogs.

Similar TOG for all three of our inside beasts, 70-78% for each of them.

Been a solid year for Koby. A couple unfortunate injuries and food poisoning prevented him from playing more games and finding the right balance with Steele and Dunstan in the same team but they're finally clicking pretty well with all three getting over 20 disposals again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back