Koby Stevens.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So West Coast could use more pace in the midfield and Cripps is a quick player?
While Stevens is by all accounts a plodder.
In the same way Jobe Watson is a plodder. Sure, he is not quick, but he keeps on trucking. His fitness was a bit of an issue in the first few years following his OP, but is all good now. Main issue is his number of disposals, he just doesn't seem to get it enough. He's only been fit enough this year though, when we didn't get many injuries, so he didn't get much opportunity. Still a definite risk if he will step up.

Though I agree it most definitely is not a "powerhouse midfield", our defence and forward line are pretty awesome, so it does make our mid range midfield look worse than it is.

actually a decent forward line should make your midfield look better than it is :)

The real issue with the West Coast midfield is the lack of pace but particularly kicking ability, if you include Naitanui in the middle, A Selwood, Priddis, Naitanui, and Masten are probably the worst disposing midfield in the league, Kerr's good but he can be sat on & is under pressure a lot.

You can see the logic in the Wellingham pick but you'd still like to see West Coast get one more quality midfielder to jump to the next level.

And for that reason, Stevens should be got quite cheaply, he's more of the same at West Coast.

So West Coast could use more pace in the midfield and Cripps is a quick player?
While Stevens is by all accounts a plodder.

Cripps would be best at West Coast filling in for Le Cras whilst Le Cras' footskills are utilised further up the ground.

Cripps whilst of decent height doesn't yet have the build to play permanent midfield.

I would prefer to keep Cripps though.

The real issue with the West Coast midfield is the lack of pace but particularly kicking ability, if you include Naitanui in the middle, A Selwood, Priddis, Naitanui, and Masten are probably the worst disposing midfield in the league, Kerr's good but he can be sat on & is under pressure a lot.

Masten had a %72.74 disposal efficiency for the year, he tidied up his kicking very noticeably this season and finally started to show why he was a highly rated junior.

Cripps would be best at West Coast filling in for Le Cras whilst Le Cras' footskills are utilised further up the ground.

Cripps whilst of decent height doesn't yet have the build to play permanent midfield.

I would prefer to keep Cripps though.

I'd rather mold Cripps as a Embley/Nicoski replacement.

The real issue with the West Coast midfield is the lack of pace but particularly kicking ability

19869014.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ok. For those who dont know like me (last night) he will only be going to either Bulldogs, Bombers or Saints as they are the only 3 teams interested in him.

I'm not trying to sell you Cripps, I'd rather keep him

I don't think either player is ever going to be more than a solid citizen in a team.

If the Eagles are after 32 from Essendon for Stevens, I'd expect that we'd be gving back 38 or the compo pick.

Similarly with Cripps - both players want to go opposite directions - neither are going to get massive game time next year and are still in that "have potential" stage.

A swap of late draft picks should be sufficient - neither carry great trading currency.

FWIW Stevens played a major role in getting EF into the Grand Final and I expect he will improve a good deal on his later season form with EF because most of it was played with a Shoulder injury . Stevens will be right to go next year whereas a pick 40 in this draft might not play much AFL untill 2014 /15 and may not play much AFL at all , at least with Koby you have a strong well built player who is AFL ready and could surprise and be more then just bottom 15 -22 in a side .

FWIW Stevens played a major role in getting EF into the Grand Final and I expect he will improve a good deal on his later season form with EF because most of it was played with a Shoulder injury . Stevens will be right to go next year whereas a pick 40 in this draft might not play much AFL untill 2014 /15 and may not play much AFL at all , at least with Koby you have a strong well built player who is AFL ready and could surprise and be more then just bottom 15 -22 in a side .

Stevens had a fairly inconsistent year in the wafl, looking at his stats. He has shown that he can play well in a few though. He had 38 disposals and 7 marks in round 8, and had a fair few games with over 20. He also had a couple of games with under 15 though. No doubt he could be a solid contributor in a team which puts in the time and effort though.

I personally believe that you can't ask a high draft pick for a 21 year old player who has given no opportunity to play afl. Sure, you have an elite midfield, and it makes sense that a slow mid can't get a game, but you cant sell a 21 year old player on potential alone.

[Here are his WAFL stats btw]
stevens.JPG

actually a decent forward line should make your midfield look better than it is :)

You can see the logic in the Wellingham pick but you'd still like to see West Coast get one more quality midfielder to jump to the next level.

And for that reason, Stevens should be got quite cheaply, he's more of the same at West Coast.

Totally disagree with our midfield having poor disposal.

I think people still often judge our midfield based on 2010. However, the guys have improved a lot since then and the fact our midfield gets decent ball in to our F50 is a big part of our rise. In 2010, we would bomb it in and then watch it come straight back over our heads before we could get our press back in place. That doesn't happen so much anymore.

Gary Ablett 69% DE
Zac Dawson 82% DE

Overrated stat. Adelaide had the worst DE and almost made the GF

In any case see above, people still pushing the we can't kick barrow are stuck in 2010

Stevens had a fairly inconsistent year in the wafl, looking at his stats. He has shown that he can play well in a few though. He had 38 disposals and 7 marks in round 8, and had a fair few games with over 20. He also had a couple of games with under 15 though. No doubt he could be a solid contributor in a team which puts in the time and effort though.

I personally believe that you can't ask a high draft pick for a 21 year old player who has given no opportunity to play afl. Sure, you have an elite midfield, and it makes sense that a slow mid can't get a game, but you cant sell a 21 year old player on potential alone.

[Here are his WAFL stats btw]
View attachment 5776

Was taken out of the games injured in Rounds 4, 6 and 18 though hence the low stats for those games

I'd rather grab Shane Nelson, he is younger, quicker and was much better in the WAFL this year than Stevens.

Stevens is ok, but he really isn't worth much. Cripps at least has shown steady improvement in his 2 years and shown something getting more and more games each season. Both would probably miss out on the 22, but Cripps should be worth a little more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back