Alyx

Unbelievably Disconnected
Feb 17, 2013
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
80cd2a0de7b24a5d6f0b216a0f507b0a

The Advertiser said:
Port Adelaide champion Warren Tredrea says his wishes to immediately join the board have been rejected by club president David Koch.

The premiership skipper was told he would need to stand at the members’ elections at the end of 2023 and would not be considered for the AFL-appointed position vacated by director Darren Cahill.

Tredrea, 44, told the Adelaide Advertiser he was ready to “step up now and help’’ the club.

“But they don’t see fit for me right now which is disappointing,’’ he said.

The board’s view is that it doesn’t want to be choosing “club legends over club legends’’ for a board position

Koch said last night “So, for right or wrong, we’ve followed the process by saying that if you’re a retired legend or former player you go through the member elected.’’
Source: The Advertiser

Power cold war: Koch, Port snub club legend’s board bid

Port Adelaide champion Warren Tredrea says his wishes to immediately join the board have been rejected by club president David Koch.
The premiership skipper was told he would need to stand at the members’ elections at the end of 2023 and would not be considered for the AFL-appointed position vacated by director Darren Cahill.

Tredrea, 44, told the Adelaide Advertiser he was ready to “step up now and help’’ the club.
“But they don’t see fit for me right now which is disappointing,’’ he said.

The board’s view is that it doesn’t want to be choosing “club legends over club legends’’ for a board position
Koch said last night “So, for right or wrong, we’ve followed the process by saying that if you’re a retired legend or former player you go through the member elected.’’
Port Adelaide’s AGM will be held on Friday night at The Lakes Resort, where it’s believed several members will grill Koch about the Tredrea decision. The board does not include a former player, although it does contain former football boss Rob Snowden.

Tredrea said he was told he would need to go to the members vote at the end of the year.

“But I was keen to step up now and hopefully help out,’’ he said.
“If they were red-hot keen they would’ve jumped on it straight away

“The longer it’s gone the more you’re disappointed that they don’t think you’re worthy of the position and the option was to go the members’ vote in December.

“But that’s nearly a year away, when I was hoping to step up and get involved now.
“Effectively, the governance committee said it didn’t want to put me on as an AFL appointment.’’

He said he had spoken to Cahill, who joined the board in 2019, about the position.

“Darren has gone back on the tennis circuit and I had a chat to him and sounded out the role and my understanding is he recommended me and a couple of others as someone who would be willing,’’ Tredrea said.

Bit mixed on Tredrea....

If he hasn't done anything with the club since, that's not great.....
I also didn't like his views for his sacking last year too....

However....
The guy speaks alot of sense
He has more credits in the bank than anyone who can step in Alberton. That can't be taken away from him for a looooong time.

Bit mixed on Tredrea....

If he hasn't done anything with the club since, that's not great.....
I also didn't like his views for his sacking last year too....

However....
The guy speaks alot of sense
He has more credits in the bank than anyone who can step in Alberton. That can't be taken away from him for a looooong time.
I dont care if hes an antivaxxer. Football wise, ive never disagreed with a word he has said, and that is what he is there to do.

The article states Warren first approached the Club about getting onto the Board as far back as grand final week of last year. Koch only states now that they haven't picked him because they don't want to pick club legends over club legends. Yet Koch has no problem stringing Warren along the last 5 months or so.

This doesn't add up. He's our Club's only AFL premiership captain, has a great footy brain and would have immediately replaced an elite sporting director (Cahill) with another elite sportsmen. It also would have placated thousands of fans who like myself were pissed off with Koch after his last media tirade endorsing Hinkley before a review of the season had even taken place.

Koch has to go asap. At the very least he needs a better answer to why Tredrea isn't on the Board when the members ream him about it at the AGM tomorrow night.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I dont care if hes an antivaxxer. Football wise, ive never disagreed with a word he has said, and that is what he is there to do.
More just the stupidity of it all too, the fact he cost himself millions or whatever apparently.... takes an idiot to do that. Just STFU.

But yeah I agree, he's always been on the money. He has alot of respect around the league too in the media, considering how disliked (jealousy) he was as a player.

Popcorn

Though Tredders is just another FIGJAM, I would like him on the board.

He has probably read the room, realises he has a chance of causing some movement in the way the club is run, and is placing some political pressure on the along-for-the-ride-brigade.

Looking on to see how the Crowvertiser handles this too.

With everything that Treadrea has spouted over the last couple years, I’m not too mad about this.

Koch is still an idiot though.
Agree or not with his vaccination stance, his knowledge and opinions about anything footy related would be invaluable. I'd vote for him in a heartbeat.

So put your self up as a Member elected Board Member? I have to say I am not as rapt in Tredders as I once was but if he wants a seat on the Board he should go stand at the first opportunity and let the Members decide.

I am disappointed that there is not a former player on the Board. I am also disappointed that we appoint someone and less than four years later he is gone. That is not a criticism of Killer but a shot at a Board who should have seen the possibility that Darren Cahill's tennis expertise would eventually draw him back overseas.

So who is replacing Cahill then?
Also, isn't this the first public acknowledgment from the club that Cahill is stepping off the board?

This current board is being run like a personal fiefdom by a handful of CV padders.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back