Analysis Koch: Port Adelaide to review season 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

View attachment 593637

Remember when Mark Maclure blamed coach Ken Hinkley coaching? Remember the uproar supporters screamed oh that Vic guy doesn't know. Sorry but the alarm bells have been ringing for a while

“What happened to me after the game was interesting: ‘that’s not the way we play. That’s not the way we want to play’ was what the coach said.

“He’s been playing like that for six weeks so he had an opportunity six weeks ago to set the path to go to finals and he didn’t.”

Maclure believes Hinkley’s slow game style doesn’t help his small forward set-up.

“They bought in a number of players, they play the footy — they don’t mark and roll. They don’t move, so once you move the forwards move, the players move,” he said.

“They pick a small forward line but they slow the play down. How is a small forward line going to compete against eight or nine people in the back half? It’s so poor, it’s pathetic. They had five shots at goal in the first quarter, four shots in the second quarter, four in the third and one shot in the last (at the) 25 minute mark they kicked a goal.

“It was pathetic performance from the side that was supposed to be vying for a final.”

“The recruiting bloke couldn’t do anymore. They brought in Motlop, Watts, Thomas, Rockliff, Hombsch comes in, Ryder, Ebert, Dixon, Polec — their list is okay.

“There is something wrong with the coaching, there is something wrong with the direction they are going and Kenny’s got to wear that, because let me tell you they were 11-4. He’s got a lot to answer for I can tell you. “

What game is he talking about? When did we ever play a small forward line? Dixon, Watts, Westhoff...these guys aren’t small.

Oh wait...he’s talking about the Collingwood game when we were missing Dixon, Clurey and had a crocked Ryder playing up forward against the eventual grand finalists, where Collingwood had 6 shots at goal in the first quarter, 10 shots at goal in the second and 5 shots at goal in the third.

Sounds like the sort of moronic, cookie cutter analysis I expect from you lot, actually.

What I will agree with is the general analysis of the inability of our players to roll off. It wasn’t an issue in the last six weeks...it was an issue all year. And why? Because rolling off exposes our young defence if things go pear shaped. It requires confidence that was non-existent - when we tried to play faster those defenders were shown up for their lack of intercept marking - which is what the top sides excel at. I went through the stats months ago as to why intercept marking is so important.

The fact that he listed Hombsch as the only defender - a guy who wasn’t even in our best 22 - shows just how unaware of the actual problem he really was.

But Ken knows the problem. That’s why he turfed Bassett and his spoil happy defence that slows the game down unnecessarily and stuck him in the forward line and gave Montgomery the job of focusing on training the defence to take marks.

I totally agree that we don't play a small forward line, however the way we set up means that the smalls are the only ones inside the 50 because the talls have led all the way up the ground or are helping out in defence, and can't get back as quickly as the smalls can.

With Dixon, Marshall and Watts, and Ryder and Lycett switching up there, the cattle certainly isn't an issue. Marshall should give us a lot in terms of mobility up there, but we do need to back our defence in and play more attacking football if we're going to win a flag with this list.

I totally agree that we don't play a small forward line, however the way we set up means that the smalls are the only ones inside the 50 because the talls have led all the way up the ground or are helping out in defence, and can't get back as quickly as the smalls can.

With Dixon, Marshall and Watts, and Ryder and Lycett switching up there, the cattle certainly isn't an issue. Marshall should give us a lot in terms of mobility up there, but we do need to back our defence in and play more attacking football if we're going to win a flag with this list.
Hence the quality of the I50.

We have talls kicking to shorts instead of the other way around.

So, have the club given us any feedback from the review, positive or negative? None of my social crowd were positive about the year, though none as vehemently negative as myself, particularly re Ken.

I am hearing crickets, but to be fair very few management teams would publicly acknowledging their shortcomings.

Changes are planned it seems, but no detail.

Quantity of tall forward options does not equal quality. Watts, Lycett and Marshall (at this stage) are all C graders. Dixon and Ryder alternate between being B graders and C graders. None of them are good for 2-3 goal a game type players, none you can build a forward line around with total confidence. We need at least a couple of those guys to step up or we'll continue to get the same results forward of centre.

Quantity of tall forward options does not equal quality. Watts, Lycett and Marshall (at this stage) are all C graders. Dixon and Ryder alternate between being B graders and C graders. None of them are good for 2-3 goal a game type players, none you can build a forward line around with total confidence. We need at least a couple of those guys to step up or we'll continue to get the same results forward of centre.
Obviously it relies on some semblance of strategy to score but I'm confident that all of them are better than we've seen so far in Port Adelaide colours in the right system.

So, have the club given us any feedback from the review, positive or negative? None of my social crowd were positive about the year, though none as vehemently negative as myself, particularly re Ken.

I am hearing crickets, but to be fair very few management teams would publicly acknowledging their shortcomings.

Changes are planned it seems, but no detail.
What we wanted and needed
images.jpeg
What we will get
images (2).jpeg

I WANT ACTION, NOT WORDS FROM PORT ADELAIDE
BY KANE CORNES - SEN 1116

I’ve been sitting on this for a while and I don’t say it lightly.

It is not easy to be critical of your former club, the club that you love and you’ve got so much affection for.

But facts are facts and it’s been 1,556 days since Port Adelaide won a final.

It’s time for action.

Just yesterday, the ever-honest and forthright coach Ken Hinkley sat down with The Advertiser’s Reece Homfray and declared there is a freshness and a newness to Port Adelaide ahead of season 2019.

Talk is cheap. I want actions.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2018/12/16/i-want-action-not-words-from-port-adelaide/

Last edited by a moderator:

It is not easy to be critical of your former club, the club that you love and you’ve got so much affection for.

It’s time for action.

Just yesterday, the ever-honest and forthright coach Ken Hinkley sat down with The Advertiser’s Reece Homfray and declared there is a freshness and a newness to Port Adelaide ahead of season 2019.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2018/12/16/i-want-action-not-words-from-port-adelaide/
It is all true but a very wierd time of year to be calling for actions.

What exactly does he expect them to do in December?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

A bit hypocritical of Cornes as he is part of the media that hound the clubs for access.

He's talking as a lover of Port, not as a media personality. His job is to gain media access but his love is Port Adelaide.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have todisagree with Kane on this one.

I thi k that Port have been less upbeat and forecasting great thungs for the upcoming season than previous years tbh. Yes we get the oddpuffpiece about the new recruits andhow they are fitting in seamlessly at the club. But that isa given for all clubs.

There has been as much noise about the Crows and how well they are training, how many PB's they are running, howthey have found that unique balance betweenhard yacka and fun, how their injured guys from last year look like newmen, etc.

I will be frank (I could be earnest if you like), but I think both clubs are about on a par as far as hoopla, predictions and bullishness goes.

What I still fail to see is honesty surrounding the Club's failingson and off field. An external review wouldn't go astray instead of an internal "nothing to see here, move along" charade, but we must accept that such things are never going to happen on the current management's watch - at least until the birthday candles have been blown out and the happy snaps taken for tbe Year book!

It’s time for action.

forthright - what, he never actually says anything of any note. It's all fluff. Kane, wat u talking about.

The rest of the article is good. Ken, it's time you delivered. I'm sick of your BS. Fix the deplorable skills, get the players desperate and win the flag. Now.

Last edited:
He's talking as a lover of Port, not as a media personality. His job is to gain media access but his love is Port Adelaide.

You love Kane Corner.

You love Kane Corner.

Full disclosure: I know him pretty well through my god mother who both the Cornes' spent alot of time with growing up due to the turbulent nature of their home life.

I hadn't looked at this thread for quite some time but it still brings on the same range of emotions as it did way back in August.

We can rehash this a million times, but Hinkley and Voss didn't reappoint themselves, and if one man ( Koch ) has so much power that the rest of the club's hierarchy just fall into line behind him, then I won't be holding my breath waiting for any sustained long term on field success, and I still suspect way too many decisions have been made on the back of his ridiculous `I want to make Ken Hinkley a 10 year coach ' comment, which unfortunately may go down in the annals of Aussie sporting history as one of, if not THE, most unqualified statement of all time!

On the plus side I welcome the appointments of Schofield and Montgomery, but I have heard on the grapevine that Monty in particular doesn't suffer fools gladly, and has been known to burn his bridges when he believes things aren't done correctly.

Read into that whatever you wish to. :rolleyes:

forthright - what, he never actually says anything of any note. It's all fluff. Kane, wat u talking about.

The rest of the article is good. Ken, it's time you delivered. I'm sick of your BS. Fix the deplorable skills, get the players desperate and win the flag. Now.

Kane leaves the biggest issue that’s Ken. Amazing how we become a club that has allowed mediocrity to be acceptable

Would Koch ever do something really nasty like this?

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...y/news-story/73a59c937be58c2a033dbb9179415609

Steve Smith has made the explosive claim that a dressing room shellacking from cricket bosses sparked the win-at-all-costs culture that led to the ball-tampering affair.

The deposed Australian captain told Fox Cricket in an exclusive interview that former chief executive James Sutherland and ex-high performance boss Pat Howard marched into the dressing rooms in Hobart after a historic loss to South Africa two summers ago and let rip.

We don’t pay you to play, we pay you to win,” said Smith of the message from the CA suits back in the summer of 2016-17.

Would Koch ever do something really nasty like this?

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...y/news-story/73a59c937be58c2a033dbb9179415609

Steve Smith has made the explosive claim that a dressing room shellacking from cricket bosses sparked the win-at-all-costs culture that led to the ball-tampering affair.

The deposed Australian captain told Fox Cricket in an exclusive interview that former chief executive James Sutherland and ex-high performance boss Pat Howard marched into the dressing rooms in Hobart after a historic loss to South Africa two summers ago and let rip.

We don’t pay you to play, we pay you to win,” said Smith of the message from the CA suits back in the summer of 2016-17.

I don't think he's done it directly, but Koch has definitely sounded off and publicly blamed the players on mpre than one occasion over the past 4 years of failure. If I recall correctly, the players weren't heaps impressed with it.

I don't think he's done it directly, but Koch has definitely sounded off and publicly blamed the players on mpre than one occasion over the past 4 years of failure. If I recall correctly, the players weren't heaps impressed with it.

Makes sense. Taking responsibility for ones own actions disappeared years ago.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back