Movie Kong: Skull Island

Remove this Banner Ad

The 2005 Kong film was on the other days. I looked at it for 5 minutes and saw Kyle Chandler. He's been on the up and up since.
Not really a fan of the King Kong story but this cast is too good to not see it.

The 2005 Kong film was on the other days. I looked at it for 5 minutes and saw Kyle Chandler. He's been on the up and up since.
Not really a fan of the King Kong story but this cast is too good to not see it.

The cast is wasted. :p

The film is fun though; enjoyed it more than the 05 one.

I watched it yesterday. Didn't mind it. The scale was cool. Sam Jackson's done-to-death badass persona injects a level of painfulness to it. There were some great action sequences, however, and a dose of unapologetic violence.

Would give a 5 or 6/10.

This isn't usually my kind of movie, but I had a realisation during the week that the last 5 or 6 movies I've actually seen at a cinema have all been movies that would've translated just as well at home on the couch. Then I saw a review for Kong and thought that here was my chance to get a full-screen experience.

And I loved it. Yes, it's stupid. Yes, it's over-the-top. Yes, the story is like almost every other monster film in history. But it's all good fun and a lot funnier than I expected it to be. Mostly because of John C Reilly. And sometimes because it was just so ridiculous. Plus, some of the action sequences were fantastic. Like someone else already mentioned, the first encounter with Kong in the "current day" looked amazing and set the tone for the rest of the film.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What expectations did you go into the movie with? I assumed I would hate it and ended up being quite entertained. Isn't the story line of most monster films pretty similar?

My expectations were fairly low.

I found the dialogue and use of some of the characters to be incredibly confusing.

There were also about 6 characters who served zero purpose to the film.

The music was incredibly cliched and felt like the director saw Suicide Squad and thought hey this old tunes over the top of 15 scene really work.

CCR must love the movie.

Actually looking forward to seeing this. Have seen all the Kong films, including the abysmal King Kong Lives and the original in '33 and the '76 version are the ones I prefer.
The Jackson version was okay, a bit hokey with the Naomi Watts dancing and s**t like that, Jack Black overacted enormously.
This one has peaked my interest, it helps that Kong looks huge and has tripled in size.

You forgot Son of Kong. I remember watching it as a kid on midday movies, the part I especially remember is the end as he sinks down into the water holding one of the characters up out of the water in his hand. (iirc)

Son-of-Kong-13.jpg

I'm really looking forward to this one andh opefuly it can continue the revival of the creature feature. Too many superheroes and giant robots these days. Give me dinosaurs/apes/sharks/whatever picking apart an ensemble cast any day of the week.

I quite enjoyed Godzilla. The main character and some of the story beats were poor but the direction was fantastic and Cranston and Olsen somewhat redeemed the cast.

Years ago, SBS, I think on Friday nights used to play all of the Japanese Godzilla movies.

Godzilla
Godzilla v Gamera (my favourite)
Godzilla v Mothra
Godzilla v Gigan
Hedora, The Smog Monster

the list goes on

Well as a big sci fi/thriller/adventure/horror fan from waaaay back I thought it was pretty damn good. Totally met my expectations plus some (honestly what do people expect they're going to see in a movie about a giant ape?). Thought Samuel L was brilliant and important and loved the "Apocalypse Now" referencing.

Much better than Godzilla. I enjoyed it. Eli Thompson was in it haha. The lizard monsters were nice and not spoiled by the trailers. Definitely setting up a never ending universe with the post-credits scene :p

Real ******* shame John C Reilly was probably paid a tenth of what Samuel L Jackson was. The former was quite good while the latter was phoning it in playing 'bad ass tough guy' for the 574th time. And he was the villian of the movie! Obviously just cast him because he's a big star. Wish they'd cast some other black actor who could use the profile.

Interesting to note the movie has not made a profit after 8 days (US$174m box office off a US$185m budget). Be sad if this means the sequels are completely dumbed down - and this movie was not cerebral - and the characters have to crack jokes every minute instead of every three to four minutes. This one had an appropriate level of gravitas.

Setting
- using the vietnam war was clever. IT was well done, everything felt like it was from the era. From the music, clothing. Although whether Brie Larsons tight grey singlet was part of that time, well...
- really helped set the storyline. I mean the vietnam war is easy to piggyback off. Nice scenery, americans.

Iconics
- Kong standing up with choppers flying at him into the backdrop of the sun
- napalm

Soundtrack
- Apocalypse now/every vietnam war movie
- brings great life to the movie. Evokes so many memories
- Monkey clapping symbols toy

Honouring its predecessor movies
- girl falls in love with the gorilla

original.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

Storyline
- the trailer foreshadowed who was gonna live and die.
- history dictates what Kong is about really. The characters and their destinies were foreshadowed as the acts progressed.

Unbelievable
- the most unbelievable part wasnt the monsters, it was that the supple skin of brie larson was unblemished throughout. No scratches, no bites. Her chest support did a wonderful job also. Also she went down the throat of that dinosaur, nothing happened.

Irony
- war for the planet of the apes was a trailer for this movie. lol

Characters
- samuel K - soldier, decorated war hero. War is his purpose on earth
- tom hiddelstone - not a hair out of place, a tracker? Didnt delve much into this particular set of skills.
- brie larson - I came up with the term the 3 Cs to describe her role - camera, compassion, courage.
- goodman - played both sides well. The bubbly guy, to a dark secretive man
- jason mitchell - brought the african american humour
- john c reilly - funny guy, but knows the lay of the land. his character learned respect early on. well casted. star of the movie
- corey hawkins - heath in the walking dead
- asian girl - wtf was she there for?

Major themes
- mother earth, dont * with her
- monsters. Who is the monster? man or beast? But you don't go into someone's house and start dropping bombs, unless you're picking a fight.
- questions of morality. You could see soldiers who kill for a living wrestle with their soul
- what causes wars? guns or the camera. A camera is way more dangerous than a gun
- natives. they respect the land and its ruler.
- goodman mades reference to a mad man/madness in the whitehouse. lol
- the natives home, protected by a wall (awesome wall btw, especially how it opens). the wall isnt to keep kong out. kinda like trumps wall.
- war - Sometimes the enemy doesn't exist until you're looking for him.
- #triggered - sometimes the enemy doesn’t exist until you go looking for one.

Miscellaneous
- flamable fumes ignited by a cigarette. earlier tonight i was at a servo and the attendant was having smoko next to teh gas cylinders.

wish i stayed for post credits scene.

Last edited:
Finally saw this last night. Was bloody fantastic Thought Kong was cool/genuinely abit scary at times. Pacing was ok, much better than the Peter Jackson one. Cool story, good humour, Samuel L Jackson as cool as always. John C Reilly was great (loved his "Good for your health" jacket need to invest in one.

It wasn't Shawshank, but it was a cool movie.

I r8 it 9/10 cools.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back